As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Manhunt thread - 'HEEEEEAAAD JUUUUUUICE!'

2»

• Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    this has probably been covered but

why the hell is rockstar releasing this on the wii?

it seems they may not reach the target audience for this one to me

I was going to post "insert obligatory 'wii is teh kiddie' remark here" but I guess you beat me to it.

:roll:

I didn't mean wii is a kiddy system, I just meant right now it's geared toward casual gamers, and admittedly to children as well. I don't know if the people who pick this up are going to see it for what it is supposed to be. It's like Sin City, where people who didn't understand what the movie was based off of walked out of the movie theater. At least that happened a lot where I was living at the time.

Similar to the movie Edmond, or my posts... it's an acquired taste and most people walk out of the theater. ;)

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I was going to post "insert obligatory 'wii is teh kiddie' remark here" but I guess you beat me to it.

I didn't mean wii is a kiddy system, I just meant right now it's geared toward casual gamers, and admittedly to children as well. I don't know if the people who pick this up are going to see it for what it is supposed to be. It's like Sin City, where people who didn't understand what the movie was based off of walked out of the movie theater. At least that happened a lot where I was living at the time.
    But see, these are precisely the kinds of games that the Wii needs -- and the ones that the "lol nongames" crowd ostensibly want for it. People are so quick to pigeonhole systems ever since last generation (the shooter system, the party system, the online system, the RPG system), but more edgy, mature-themed and yes-holy-shit-violent titles will help round out the console. If you own a PS2 you can play Manhunt and Katamari Damacy back-to-back with no qualms.

Just because the console's packed in with Wii Sports doesn't mean the Wii is "geared toward casual gamers" -- I'd argue that the console has something for everyone, which is why it launched in NA with Zelda, Trauma Center, Excite Truck and the requisite shovelware. Games like this -- decidedly titles that Nintendo would never develop themselves -- are just what Nintendo's system needs.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I think RS is just testing the waters. Red Steel managed to be fairly successful on the platform, so I'm assuming they see a potential market. That, and it's an easy port for them. I really doubt they'll use any extra power in the Wii to make the port.

Manhunt's an okay game, though. As far as gameplay is concerned, it's not really that great but it's not terrible, either. I ended up liking The Suffering more, but I guess I'm more of an action game person. I'll probably pick up the game on Wii just to see what kind of fun they're going to have with the motion controls.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I definitely want to see what they do with 'insanity' as a concept.
    Things like that always get my attention.

The Manhunt team did a really great job on characters in the last one. "Barry" sticks out as my favorite.

Stigma on
  • Options
    Christ PuncherChrist Puncher Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I dunno, I'm wary about this one. Is the "Director" component even there anymore? That was major][i/] for me in the first. Like it has been said in this thread so far, the first was so great because you were against your will doing the things you were doing (mostly). The "revenge" theme of Manhunt 2 is far less interesting, at first glance at least.

Wii-mote plastic bag suffocation and other potential carnage though? :^::^::^:

I wonder if aiming will be motion controlled ala RE4: Wii Edition

Christ Puncher on
    Wii friend code: 7549 1748 0857 1681

XBL: Slimebucato
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm intrigued.

Given the comments the first game is getting in this thread, I think it didn't get the coverage it deserved when it was released. That's not to say it didn't get coverage, because holy hell it did, but not the kind of coverage that waxed lyrical about the game's atmosphere or thought-provoking premise.

I'm adding it to my list of bargain-bin games to pick up.

japan on
  • Options
    GripperGripper Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Man, I totally forgot how fantastic this game is. I played it on the Xbox with the headset; nothing else has created the tension I felt while I played it. Can't wait for the sequel. I agree with the director thing though. He has to have an equivalent of some kind for it to match up to the original... some kind of voice in your ear. It would be incredible if it was like your insanity speaking, goading you on ala Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones' Dark Prince, but way sicker. I wonder also what the "goal" will be. I mean, in the original, you were pretty sure what was going to happen at the end...

About the ending

The last few moments of the game were similar in some ways to Shadow Of The Colossus for me. By that I mean, when you get to kill the Director, you are really ready to seriously fuck him up, and the game doesn't short change you either, but any triumphant feelings you might get are tempered by the hollowness of the act. He's just a fat guy in an office.

It felt similar to SOTC for me, because you get this awesome sense of achievement when you kill a Colossus, but the victory is always hollow because it's made very clear to you that you have killed a unique and beautiful creature. Both games really add impact to the gameplay by making you think about your actions, without short-changing you on spectacular feats of violence.

Not sure if I'm explaining that right... but yeah!

Gripper on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I never thought about the ending that way.
    Hm.

Y'know alot of people would be disappointed by the ending, but I think what you just described justifies that disappointment and makes it part of the experience.

Stigma on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Gripper, you put that very, very well. <3

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    GroovyMr1337GroovyMr1337 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wait-
    360 backwards compatible?

GroovyMr1337 on
  • Options
    AntibodiesAntibodies Used to live in a psychic city. Never knew what would happen in a day. Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    According to the Arcadians Wiki, yes- it is backwards compatible, and it must be played with a headset to achieve the true measure of the experience.

I think you're probably onto something with your own insane mind/schizophrenia being the new director voice in Manhunt 2. I imagine that voice will be coming out of the Wii handle rather than a headset however unless they include some new gadget with it.

I think Piggsy was a satisying enough final boss for most people, there wasn't anything that could have been more horrific or insane in the game. I mean, if using a piece of broken glass in a confined space against a stealthy chainsaw wielding maniac isn't tense enough, I don't know what is. I think your analysis on Starkweather himself is spot-on, I recall muttering, "that's it?" but I think that comes from years of fighting dudes like Dr. Robotnik or those Mr.X dudes in Streets of rage who seem like pencil pushers then utterly destroy you.

Fortunately the bonus levels with Monkies was satisfying post-game material.

Antibodies on
    XBL: thetinwoodsman
  • Options
    Lightning Shield!Lightning Shield! Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Thread dig, as the first review trickles in. From UK mag NGamer, no less:

news_06-17-07_ngamer.jpg
    Graphics - 9
    Detailed environments, high quality animation. Disturbingly convincing at times.

Audio - 9
    Atmospheric effects and music. Creepy footsteps and meaty splatterings. Lovely.

Gameplay - 9
    Solid and compelling. The action ties in perfectly with the psychological horror of the story.

Innovation - 8
    Uses the Wii controllers to satisfying effect. Mercifully uncomplicated to play.

Summary
    As dark a game as we've ever played, Manhunt 2 is a brilliantly constructed piece of fanservice for horror enthusiasts and a masterclass in stealthy nastiness.

Overall: 92

The magazine also has half dozen new images, some showing Daniel drenched in blood, some new characters and an all new environmental execution, an iron maiden.

Those in the UK can pick the magazine up in stores from this coming Wednesday.

Lightning Shield! on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This thread makes me want to play Manhunt. I never really got into it when it came out. I heard about it, but dismissed it as a more violent GTA. I had no idea it was a stealth game. While I'm not a huge fan of stealth games if a game has good atmosphere it might be worth a shot.

Is the PC port any good? Can you use a headset for the Director's voice on the PC version or is that Xbox only?

Drool on