As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MSPA: the cow says moo, the duck says quack, the broom says BROOM

• BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    what on earth is going on in this comic now

I feel even more lost than I was before

• NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    okay, so

scratch is doing something with aradia that we have no clue about

and

the trolls have actually scratched before, their ancestors were originally players and vice versa

karkat's ancestor revolted because he remembered what Alternia was like before they changed it with the scratch

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    doc scratch kidnapped past-aradia!ancestor to be a maid for lord english but secretly she swtiched bodies with vriska freaky friday style now doc is reminiscing about his war days

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    anti your av is a grey box again

xet8c.gif
  • BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    and then it's all a dream within a dream

within a dream bubble

but BB's and BFL I assume are back

I think Anti's av/sig combo is a small price to pay for the return of our favorite entomological mystery team

xet8c.gif
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    BugBoy wrote:
    and then it's all a dream within a dream

within a dream bubble

Inception-movie-title.jpg

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    I'm thinking that SBURB/Skaia and so on exist for their own sake, and Lord English is like a third party parasite or predator. So he's a part of the natural scheme of things, and he takes advantage of the system, but the system isn't supposed to serve him.

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
    Thats my take on things too.

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    BugBoy wrote:
    what on earth is going on in this comic now

I feel even more lost than I was before

Through a series of bad decisions and worse luck, the four kids created an unbeatable boss hellbent on killing them all and destroying their universe. Their session is "barren," and they have less than 10 hours before the Tumor or the Reckoning wipes their session. The trolls have less than an hour before the Critical Moment, when Noir will attempt to annihilate the kids' universe.
    After discussing the situation with the trolls and Doc Scratch throughout Act 5-2, the kids decided to initiate a double suicide mission to:

1 scratch the session, rewinding/rebooting their timeline to get more a more favorable starting point

2 use the Tumor to destroy the Green Sun, rendering Bec Noir mortal again.

Rather than accepting the inevitable, they will attempt to survive these events and cross over into the new, post-scratch Earth universe, and the trolls will attempt to join them. (Karkat, Gamzee, Terezi, Aradia, Kanaya and Sollux are currently alive. Aradia was trollnapped by Doc Scratch at an unspecified point in time.)
    Also, Jade made a bargain with Echidna to bring the four planets and denizens along.

And before all that they're going to exile Jack to the troll's session somehow...and he's going to get that fucking bloody hand that's been haunting the comic since last year.

Lord English will arrive after the demise of a tyrant less an arm and eye...

Someone is exterminating the gods of the Furthest Ring...

The Earth exiles will have a part to play in all this. WV has the White Queen's ring...

Spades Slick has Doc's gun...

03868_1.gif

03789_2.gif

03935.gif

04021.gif

So I assume that EOA 5 will be all this shit going down simultaneously, and the next Act will deal with the fallout from the Scratch, the destruction of the Sun, and the arrival of Lord English. A final set of circumstances and conflicts to overcome before the heroes can successfully create a universe.

Meanwhile, Vriska has secretly submitted John's name for the Triwizard Tournament

http://gobletofsickfires.tumblr.com/

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    Don't forget that WV is also trapped inside a room that's about to be blown up.

4484-7718-8470
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    @Avraham: That's entirely probable. He could have easily found the game in one (or many) of the universes he devoured and thought, "hey, there's a neat idea". But I feel there's something appropriately apocalyptic in the idea that 1) the participants of this game are deliberately manipulated, without fail, into bringing about the destruction of their entire universe under the guise of an innocent game; 2) a game ostensibly about creation and closed-loop causality is meant to simultaneously create a new universe and destroy an existing one; and 3) the game, by design, is meant for failure and that said failure is actually a primary function of the overall game itself.

Also, I feel there's a lot in the text that hints at this being part of the natural order of things. There's the ~ath script (thanks to someone here for pointing out that the name is technically, tildeath. I never would have picked up on that), which seems to fit this setup perfectly. Two overlapping universes, one apparently creating the other, ultimately resulting in the death of both. There are a couple of lines in Scratch's convo with Rose:
    There are rules to his entry, and his grim procession through paradox space is rather orderly. The present equilibrium has accounted for him, and will continue to.
    Instances of myself have spawned in countless universes, and my objective is always the same. I have never once failed to complete this objective, and I never will.
    The fact that Doc Scratch and elements of the session and greater paradox space itself (particularly the denizens of the sessions and possibly the horrorterrors) have been so forthcoming with information of how to initiate the scratch and so damned persistant about it being important also strikes me as kind of suspicious, given that null sessions are implied to be such a rare thing, yet these so-called glitchy sessions seem to be conveniently steering the kids (and apparently the trolls before them) towards the reset switch.

Besides, I think it comes back to Lord English's role in this story. People keep saying (myself among them) that it doesn't seem very likely that the kids would have an epic showdown with him ala DMK, as the story hasn't really been building to that at all. And if the scratch really does happen the way this side story seems to be setting up, we'd be left with a very different status quo--basically back at Act 1 again, and throwing out a lot of previously established lore. Even with a Hivebent level of rushing through plot points (which would be a huge disservice to the story as a whole), I don't see there being room enough to pack that AND all the currently dangling plot threads into the rest of Act 5 and 6 (since 6 is supposed to be a lot shorter and 7 mostly wrap-up). It makes a lot more sense for this to be a story about how a group of kids/trolls manage to break out of an endless cycle of destruction (in a sense, defeating Lord English without ever really coming against him). Then again, I dunno, I really like this theory, so I might just be finding evidence to support my theory instead of vice-versa.

Edit: whoa, postings happened while I was writing this wall o' text.

Also: A line I just remembered while reading Avraham's recap about how Jack, as an agent of chaos, poses such a serious threat to the universe. Doc Scratch wants Jack depowered really badly. Possibly because Jack, who rose way out of control in this particular session, poses an actual threat to Lord English? And the kids send him over to a universe already marked for consumption...

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    That......

Is a surprisingly well written recap.

Seriously, Avraham, well done.

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    tl;dr version: Everyone dies.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    I think I'm just going to start making up my own story as I go along now

doc scratch is a suicide counselor, and aradia is his patient

bec noir is a manifestation of freudian tendencies ,because I say so

• SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    Hell that's what I do

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    BugBoy wrote:
    I think I'm just going to start making up my own story as I go along now

doc scratch is a suicide counselor, and aradia is his patient

bec noir is a manifestation of freudian tendencies ,because I say so

According to Freud, everything is a manifestation of Freudian tendencies.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    Homestuck has the most complex plot of anything I have ever read or seen.

Just gotta throw that out there.

• CrowbawtCrowbawt Member of the Midnight Crew Registered User regular
    Spades should be the one to kill Lord English.

• SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    Has anyone made it through Gravity's Rainbow I am curious how it compares complexity-wise

• VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    CD should be the one to kill English.

Gotta say if the story doesn't finish off with a major fight against English or jack or even scratch ill be disappointed.

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    The real secret is that Lord English is future John and past John will have to fight himself to save Skaia.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Well, the story isn't planned out in a ton of detail, so I'd wager that Act 6 will at least be longer than one may think. Expect Hivebent, only we'll have more time to focus on the session itself due to not having to introduce 12 new characters. We really don't need to go over the details of sburb anymore: John's purpose was to show us exactly how things go down in the game. The focus will be on the plot points as opposed to the mundane activities of the game itself.

YL9WnCY.png
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    Act 6 is an entirely new comic from Hussie.

It will dwarf Homestuck in it's complexity.

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Gotta say if the story doesn't finish off with a major fight against English or jack or even scratch ill be disappointed.

Both of which are literally indestructible, rendering an actual fight totally pointless.

The only one who actually stood a moderate chance of seriously harming Jack was Vriska, with sick gear and a maxed out god tier, with a perfect roll of 8^Y. And even then she only held her own against him.

And then Lord English... yeah.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

Hussie will take a 13 year break when Homestuck ends.

Curled up in the corner of his apartment.

Thinking of people spitting in buckets

Crying

YL9WnCY.png
    I recall Scratch saying why Noir was a threat to LE. But I forget if it was because Noir could hurt LE or if because LE simply didn't want an unpredictable element wreaking havoc in his universe.

YL9WnCY.png
  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    Vriska was going to kill Jack, that is all there is to it.

Also by the end of the story there will be no green sun and English and Jack won't be un-killable.

4484-7718-8470
  • VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Thetheroo wrote:
    Act 6 is an entirely new comic from Hussie.

It will dwarf Homestuck in it's complexity.

128 different characters to begin with and the complexities of life for each one individually before we learn what the comic is actually about.

VoproSTEIN on
    Also: A line I just remembered while reading Avraham's recap about how Jack, as an agent of chaos, poses such a serious threat to the universe. Doc Scratch wants Jack depowered really badly. Possibly because Jack, who rose way out of control in this particular session, poses an actual threat to Lord English? And the kids send him over to a universe already marked for consumption...

I don't think Jack poses a threat because he is stronger than Lord English, or necessarily a personal threat.

I think he is just a complete wild card that is out of control and causes nothing but problems for everyone.

Whereas Lord English's presence is accounted for and balanced out in the grand scheme of things, or something to that extent.

Campion wrote:
    Vriska was going to kill Jack, that is all there is to it.

Also by the end of the story there will be no green sun and English and Jack won't be un-killable.

I don't see why we should expect the green sun to affect Lord English. I don't believe he's a first guardian.

I choose to believe Jack was going to win that fight.

Because I can.

let's believe together, crowbawt

What exactly does Lord English do?

Would he like...rob banks and stuff?

And where is he prior to all this?

YL9WnCY.png
    Didn't you know, Raz?

The Demon was already here.

• UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    Seriously wrote:
    Has anyone made it through Gravity's Rainbow I am curious how it compares complexity-wise

Gravity's Rainbow isn't nearly as bad as it's made out to be. As for how it compares to Homestuck... apples and oranges.

Dogs.jpg
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Wild theory: Doc Scratch is grooming Aradia to be the first guardian of the new Earth universe that's going to result from the scratch.

BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.