As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Terraria V1.3! Now with 100% more Minecarts!

• IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Yeah, the lighting changes are actually much more of a bother than the difficulty changes. I wanted a blazing inferno again, just add "simplified lighting" to the options that turns off most of the dynamic lights and be done with catering to the netbook crowd. People with powerful gaming rigs have spent money on them precisely because they want to handle 10 million dynamic lights without breaking a sweat.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    stigweard wrote:
    First world made post 1.0.6 and the merchant wouldn't spawn and I couldn't see anything wrong...
    Y5uha.png

and didn't find anything immediately out of place or missing. so I went searching and found...
    ZPPRZ.png

the ocean ended but the world kept going.

It took me nearly 4 hours to build that starter house. Yay corruption.

Try saving that world and loading it in a multiplayer game (or loading it as single player if you built it in multi).

For some reason, whether the world is online or not can affect the proper drawing of world boundaries. I mined a boatload of Hellstone exploiting a world like that.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Terraria Episode 1.0.6: "Darkness falls".

Something I read elsewhere that's apparently not in the patch notes: you can't place stone or dirt inside lava anymore. In other words, no replacing it for safety reasons or so that you can mine through it. Not sure if this is also true for water.
    Water remains the same but it seems that now the only block type that can "kill" lava is sand. Still you can't put in directly inside the lava, you must make it drop inside it.

HiT BiT on
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    HiT BiT wrote:
    Terraria Episode 1.0.6: "Darkness falls".

Something I read elsewhere that's apparently not in the patch notes: you can't place stone or dirt inside lava anymore. In other words, no replacing it for safety reasons or so that you can mine through it. Not sure if this is also true for water.
    Water remains the same but it seems that now the only block type that can "kill" lava is sand. Still you can't put in directly inside the lava, you must make it drop inside it.

Finally, a use for the sandgun.

stigweard on
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Is there a server which is essentially almost at the start? I'd like to start another character, but jumping to a developed world wouldn't be very fun, as working through Copper-Iron-Etc. would be something I'd like to do at the moment. Even better if other people would want to do that.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Do I buy this game? I wish I had when it was super cheap for summer, but I'm not sure if $5 does it for me...

I will, however, gladly gift a copy of Sanctum in exchange for a terraria if anyone should like.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Do I buy this game? I wish I had when it was super cheap for summer, but I'm not sure if $5 does it for me...

I will, however, gladly gift a copy of Sanctum in exchange for a terraria if anyone should like.

If you value your social life, no. Very much worth the $5.

steam_sig.png
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Uhm yeah so I bought this for $5. I guess I don't value my life?

JKKaAGp.png
  • EdgieEdgie TampaRegistered User regular
    Is anyone planning on throwing a 1.0.6 server up? The single player is fun, but I've done that, and would love to try this multiplayer.

• ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Today I learned that falling from a massive height onto a slime will not break your fall when you bounce off it and hit the ground. Also I don't know if they fiddled with the shadow orb spawn mechanics or what, but I had about dozen of them under the ground in one big wide tunnel, rather than in the occasionally chasm. Suits me fine, I know where they all are now.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • OwlbatOwlbat Registered User regular
    I have my own server up from time to time. Just a medium world I share with a couple of friends. Already got a couple of stuff worked on but still lotsa space for projects.

I.P: 69.116.237.156
    Port: 7777

PM me for a password and stuff.

steam_sig.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Good lord it's dark in the caves now...

• ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    Well, I got this game on the cheap today so I'll probably be showing up occasionally on servers.

• grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    My kids still enjoy playing, me not so much. Having a hard time seeing anything now. The darkness curse is really a treat.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
    Well night owl potions actually work now so that's some help. Though I haven't been to hell yet since that was made super dark, so I'm sure it's pretty miserable down there now.

steam_sig.png
    edited August 2011
    Double post..

Shimshai on

steam_sig.png
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I got my sister-in-law to come join my brother and my wife and I on a server last night. Off to a good start, I think.
    I like that you can make statues and banners. And tiki torches. Makes the entrances to our mountain bunker castle base look cool. I also learned about the slimes not breaking fall damage. The hard way.

After starting a completely new guy, I have to say, I REALLY miss my molten/nightmare items. Picking and axing and hammering is so slow now! Also it's kind of nice that the enemies do more damage now. Makes you feel more vulnerable. Ive taken to actually running away from some fights rather than just soaking up the damage knowing that I had more health than they do.

Also, FUCK BATS. ALL OF THEM.

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    I bought this game yesterday, it's really good. I found a ring of regeneration down in a gold chest in the caves, which I like :)

I think it would be awesome if in the long term you could start training up a squad of guys to help defend the homestead. Kit them out with items and bows and whatnot.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    tbloxham wrote:
    I bought this game yesterday, it's really good. I found a ring of regeneration down in a gold chest in the caves, which I like :)

I think it would be awesome if in the long term you could start training up a squad of guys to help defend the homestead. Kit them out with items and bows and whatnot.

A mercenary NPC would be pretty sweet. You could buy x amount of mans at a time, and can spend money to upgrade them or something, but once they die they dont respawn like regular NPCs. You have to rebuy them

• APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Im trying to decide if I want to start a fresh character and world now or wait for the more significant 1.1 update (presumably more biomes and such). I'm leaning towards waiting before starting completely fresh, though I may import my current character to a new world in the meantime.

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote:

A mercenary NPC would be pretty sweet. You could buy x amount of mans at a time, and can spend money to upgrade them or something, but once they die they dont respawn like regular NPCs. You have to rebuy them

Exactly, they already have mechanisms in place where hoards of monsters start attacking you. It would only make sense for you to start being able to fight back.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Anyone down for a 4 pack ASAP?
    I just told my buddy about the sale and he is jumping on it, which coerced me to buy it, which is almost the same price as a 4 pack...anyone?

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I think the only way I can revive interest in this for myself, at the moment, is to create a large world, and play only hardcore characters, doing what I can with each one to build an empire.

Um...what? Now it shows full price for a single but the pack still shows the discount. What the deuce.

Okay I need help. I've gotten to the part where there are fire imps, helbats, and bone worms. I have all gold items equipped, but I can't break anything down there. I feel like I went ahead too far... As that place is literally raping me and my patience.

What am I doing wrong?

• AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote:
    Okay I need help. I've gotten to the part where there are fire imps, helbats, and bone worms. I have all gold items equipped, but I can't break anything down there. I feel like I went ahead too far... As that place is literally raping me and my patience.

What am I doing wrong?
    You dug too deep.
    Seriously though, you really did. You've reached hell and you'll need some better equipment to survive and mine down there. The next best step after gold is finding some corruption and going wild on those Shadow Orbs. You'll want to pack up on Dynamite to break through the Ebonstone, as I'm not sure you can mine it with a gold pickaxe. The orbs will give a few nice items, as well as eventually cause a meteorite to fall. With meteorite and demonite (which you can get from bosses), you'll have the equipment you need to mine down in hell. There's also the jungle and the dungeon, mind you, which you might want to visit in between.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
    AkimboEG wrote:
    urahonky wrote:

What am I doing wrong?
    You dug too deep.
    Seriously though, you really did. You've reached hell and you'll need some better equipment to survive and mine down there. The next best step after gold is finding some corruption and going wild on those Shadow Orbs. You'll want to pack up on Dynamite to break through the Ebonstone, as I'm not sure you can mine it with a gold pickaxe. The orbs will give a few nice items, as well as eventually cause a meteorite to fall. With meteorite and demonite (which you can get from bosses), you'll have the equipment you need to mine down in hell. There's also the jungle and the dungeon, mind you, which you might want to visit in between.

Phew. Thank you! This is the 2nd time I've reached it. I have a few demonite ore now at least. The corruption is where those eater of souls are located, right?

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Decided to get this game. Pretty addicting, but good lord does it take long to really start delving deep and getting ore D:

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    AkimboEG wrote:
    urahonky wrote:

What am I doing wrong?
    You dug too deep.

You'll want to kill the Eye of Cthulu first. That will unlock the next NPC who sells an item to help get to shadow orbs without dynamite.

Eddy wrote:
    Decided to get this game. Pretty addicting, but good lord does it take long to really start delving deep and getting ore D:

Eddy! We should mine ores together. Just picked up the pack for me and my buddy since the single price was broke.
    Now to go home, install and...not play yet; got dinner plans...

• TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    still getting used to the controls i am pretty bad at managing jumps in the 2D plane

also what is that, some kind of angel altar?

I never really used the minishark before I got it on my latest new character and map and never really knew just how much fun it was. It blows through ammo so so fast, but 1000 rounds only costs 70 silver so that's not a problem at all. I had a hell of a great time taking on the Eater of Worlds deep underground in this pretty wide tunnel. Having a dedicated key for the grappling hook makes it 10 times better than it was.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198003381689/screenshot/594693637027900907?tab=public

Plus this little arena is right along Shadow Orb Alley.

steam_sig.png
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Yeah, the grappling hook hotkey is so nice to have.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    For fuck's sake. I just got this.

I make the bench

I place the bench

I walk toward the bench, it gets sucked into my inventory.

I can't make anything. What is this, what is wrong with the way my brain is working?

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    set the bench into your hotbar then use it like a weapon.

camo_sig2.png
    Seems 1.0.6.1 is coming out next week to fix a few new bugs. Here's the list thus far, copy/paste from Terraria forums:
    ● Fixed a bug that would cause chests to contain stacks of empty item.
    ● The crafting list now correctly updates after using the container loot buttons.
    ● The direction bathtubs face when placed is now correctly sent to the server. This prevents bathtub duplication issues.
    ● Smashing Obsidian Walls no longer gives Obsidian Ore.
    ● Walls that are automatically placed to fill small gaps are now correctly taken from the player’s inventory.
    ● Fixed a bug that causes Green Slimes to get stuck in the ground and start sinking.
    ● Player ghosts no longer move when typing.
    ● Fixed a bug that would cause mana to sometimes not regenerate when the player has 0 mana.
    ● Slimes no longer chase the player in water when they are not in aggresive mode.
    ● Lesser Restoration Potions and Restoration Potions now only heal for 50/100 life and 50/100 mana.
    ● Lesser Mana Potions and Mana Potions now only restore 50/100 mana.
    ● Changed the way the value of stacked items is rounded to fix selling/buyback inconsistencies.
    ● Some items can now again be placed in lava, this includes clay pots and fire blossom seeds.
    ● Fixed a bug that would cause shadow orbs to me smashed during world generation. This was causing meteors to start spawning before the player is at the appropriate gear level.
    ● Another reason for this post is to prevent us from getting 500 bug reports about things we;ve already fixed. :p

Also, the following ARE NOT consider bugs and are working as intended. To note, the last changelog did not list every single change made to balance that happened, so many people are reporting changes that happened assuming they are bugs. Ill be updating that changelog (here on TO) as well as I come accross important enough changes that we forgot to mention to list in there.

Not Bugs

● Flamelash now only hits once.
    ● Floating Island chests being locked.
    ● Cobwebs breaking after a moment of being stuck in them.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Locked chests? The more I hear about 1.06, the less I'm feeling like going back to play more

steam_sig.png
    edited August 2011
    There are a lot of undocumented changes; for example: the entire jungle is worlds easier now. The monsters don't have hundreds of HP, Snatchers and ManEaters are drawn in front of blocks, the bug where Stingers could enter water was fixed, and the AI of all flying monsters was improved to stop endless wall-hugging. Be sure to bring a few stacks of throwing weapons with you and it 's really a cakewalk now. Spike balls from Goblins are particularly nasty, as even after they stop moving they act like caltrops and keep on damaging monsters.

Locked chests are to help make the game progression less broken. All chests are not locked. Chests in the Underworld (aka "Hell") and on Floating Islands are locked, and meant to be visited after entering the dungeon. You can find keys randomly in pots (yes, the random stoneware pots), and a special key in the dungeon.

If you don't feel like dealing with the new dungeon stuff, the doubled backwall-teardown speed means that you can very easily raid the dungeon while dealing with normal badguys for the depth. You only count as being in the "dungeon" if you are standing in front of a 2x3 patch of dungeon wall. There really is no fix for this which would still allow players to take the dungeon's blocks and walls, so this is pretty much a permanent easy way to raid the dungeon: dismantle it.

Overall I feel 1.0.6 made the game easier and more fun to play. My main gripes are with the lighting. I liked the blazing inferno Underworld, the Orb of Light is now nearly worthless, and it's just wrong to completely remove all lighting effects from the Meteor and Molten armors. If nothing else they should keep your character visible in the dark, even if they don't light the environment. On the other hand we just got a number of nice, decorative light sources apart from torches and glowsticks (which were buffed with a lot more light), and Shine Potions are pretty easy to make. I'm sure we can also expect a lot more fun light sources in 1.1, including light-producing or light-enabling backwalls such as windows.

IceBurner on
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    Has this been updated with steamworks yet. Do want some steam servers so I can play this multiplayer

I assume the locked floating island chests are to prevent people from loading up a mapper program and getting high level gear right at the beginning, which seems fair enough.

I'm a bit surprised that they reduced the HP and defense of the bosses again. I assume this is to make up for not being able to chug health potions every 10 seconds. Still it makes the boss fights trivial once you get a minishark.

The Old Man told me I was too weak to try breaking the curse, but using an ironskin and regeneraton potion, I didn't even need to use any health potions against Skeletron.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.