As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Google+ - Will it spark interest or run around in circles?

1151617181921»

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    So how do you post up your profile?

edited August 2011
    http://gplus.to/urahonky

Here you go! Add me! :)

urahonky on
  • ScorchedScorched Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I hope it's not in bad form to ask for an invite if you're a member that posts a little less and lurks a little bit more?

If it is, go ahead and disregard me, but if not - my email is <blam>.

I would love an invite to play around with some of these features - as somebody in this thread mentioned before, this could actually help me quite a bit for organizing things professionally as well.

Scorched on
    Sent!

• StregoneStregone VA, USARegistered User regular
    Is there an app for the ipod touch? I know there is an iphone one, but I can't find it on the app store with my touch.

• ScorchedScorched Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote:
    Sent!

Thanks!

• Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    Okay, probably wrong thread but while people are abandonning ship from facebook, is anyone's fucking facebook chat box loading as the top of the page? Like what happens is the entire right justified chat box all of a sudden pops up onto the top of the page, and the actual facebook is below it. I mean, really, did they not only have to fuck the design but also royally fuck how it is loaded as well?

I use google chrome on Windows 7 64bit if it makes any difference.

• KennyboyKennyboy Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I don't suppose anyone has an invite they could give to a long time lurker do they?

I'm keen to explore a brave new world post Facebook.

Address is vehementdoctor@gmail.com

Kennyboy on
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    kennyboy - done

• GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Can someone send me an invite please? Curious to see if I hate it as much as Facebook or not.

Edited to remove E-mail.

Geod on
  • an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    Geod - sent

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    Thanks! Appreciate it.

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Google+ apparently now comes in Angry Bird flavour, but I'll be damned if I can find where or how.

edit: never mind, the UK doesn't get access to games yet. Because we're bitches, or something.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I can see it. It's pretty polished. I like how the permissions system tells you exactly what information the game will be getting from you, whereas fuck knows what the app might get from you in Facebook.

Otherwise it's the same old shitty horribly addictive puzzle games from Facebook except they don't clutter up your stream unless you explicitly let them. Stays in line with the other aspects of G+ so far and keeps in its own neat little tab.

• theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    wonderpug wrote:
    I've heard of some people using the ignored periods as a useful tool. If you have to register your pennyarcade@gmail email address with XYZ company you can do it as p.ennyarcad.e@gmail so that you can set up a filter and spot/autodiscard any unwanted spam that has come from XYZ or from XYZ selling your contact info without affecting the rest of your incoming email.

Because gmail ignores anything after a + you can sign up to sites with different emails e.g. I will sign up to the PA forums with thesquid+pa@gmail.com and to the SA forums with thesquid+sa@gmail.com. Both will forward to the same email: thesquid@gmail.com, but in the to field you will see "To: thesquid+pa@gmail.com", for example.

Now lets say you suddenly start receiving tons of penis enlargement spam, and in the to field you see "To: thesquid+sa@gmail.com" you will now know that those ratfuckers gave your email to a spam company.

• BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    darleysam wrote:
    Google+ apparently now comes in Angry Bird flavour, but I'll be damned if I can find where or how.

edit: never mind, the UK doesn't get access to games yet. Because we're bitches, or something.

Turned up for me this morning. So glad it's an entirely separate tab and I won't have my steam filled up with crap about games people are playing a la Facebook.

• SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    theSquid wrote:
    wonderpug wrote:
    I've heard of some people using the ignored periods as a useful tool. If you have to register your pennyarcade@gmail email address with XYZ company you can do it as p.ennyarcad.e@gmail so that you can set up a filter and spot/autodiscard any unwanted spam that has come from XYZ or from XYZ selling your contact info without affecting the rest of your incoming email.

Because gmail ignores anything after a + you can sign up to sites with different emails e.g. I will sign up to the PA forums with thesquid+pa@gmail.com and to the SA forums with thesquid+sa@gmail.com. Both will forward to the same email: thesquid@gmail.com, but in the to field you will see "To: thesquid+pa@gmail.com", for example.

Now lets say you suddenly start receiving tons of penis enlargement spam, and in the to field you see "To: thesquid+sa@gmail.com" you will now know that those ratfuckers gave your email to a spam company.

That's a pretty damned good idea.

The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Huh. Google Voice has just enabled itself on my account, or at least, it said it was an option and asked me if I wanted to enable it and I said yes. So, an alternative form of Skype Out?

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Lord LycanLord Lycan Registered User regular
    If anyone has an invite to spare I'd <3 one :-)

Sent.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Lord LycanLord Lycan Registered User regular
    Thanks!

• AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    Looks like some G+ is seeping into facebook

https://www.facebook.com/about/sharing/
    https://www.facebook.com/about/control/

changing visibility (even changed 'Everyone' to 'Public') per post
    approving wall posts/photo tags before they appear
    change privacy settings for posts after they were posted

• JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    And that's how competition works, kids!

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    Eventually Facebook will gain all of Google+'s features, leaving Google+ to be the next Google Buzz.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Eventually Facebook will gain all of Google+'s features, leaving Google+ to be the next Google Buzz.

If I have to go to FB, I'm holding you responsible.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    http://gplus.to/agoaj
    Is there any way to make/join groups, or are we just randomly adding people in the thread?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote:
    http://gplus.to/agoaj
    Is there any way to make/join groups, or are we just randomly adding people in the thread?

Randomly adding people. There's no global circles that I've seen.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Is there a PA circle forming? My Google+ is rather barren (mostly because a good portion of my FB friends are leery of it currently until it goes public), wouldn't mind a circle of forumers.

• DextaDexta Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    So less and less people are using google+ as often as they used to.

Will Google+ just end up like Google Buzz?

• ResorathResorath Registered User regular
    No one is posting for me anymore on google+. I'm not posting anything either in fairness.

makibanner.png
    I post on G+ a fair amount, as do some of my friends/people with similar interests/other.

I don't create a lot of original posts on G+, but I've had some good discussions with a few forumers and friends I actually like. I still think the best thing about G+ is its relative obscurity. It's great not to have to deal with all my coworkers wanting to be Facebook friends.

Pony wrote:
    I've also managed to do some quite useful networking on G+ in a way which would have never happened on Facebook.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I don't ever have anything worth saying so I hardly ever post on G+, but to be fair I don't post on Facebook much either. I will comment on other people's posts occasionally though.

I think social networking just isn't for me, really. I only have a few close friends and I talk to them nearly daily via other means, and I've found I honestly don't give a fuck what is going on in anyone else's life or about their opinions or thoughts or whatever.

JtgVX0H.png