As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What game/demo did I play? It was the FEAR 2: Reborn demo.

darleysamdarleysam On my way toUKRegistered User regular
edited August 2011 in Games and Technology
Okay, I recently finished FEAR 2 and was disappointed that this awesome scene (which I shall describe) from the demo wasn't in the final game. This seemed weird to me. I then looked up videos from the demo and, to my surprise, can't find it in the demo either. What I remembered was a bit where you're in some boring skyscraper making your way through what may have been some fairly bland, generic offices, when suddenly the whole building tips over and everything's left at an awkward angle, with you having to now pick your way through the now-ruined building, with crap strewn everywhere. I'm sure I didn't dream it, does anyone else have any ideas?

forumsig.png
darleysam on

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    You might have been dreaming...

Or playing Gears of War 2, but it probably wasn't that...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    It was definitely an FPS. I even remember thinking "man, this demo's kind of boring" up until that point, when BAM, building tumbles and things were cool again.

edit: BAHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I'm trying to remember how long ago this was, probably about 3 or 4 years.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Well, based on the clues, I'd say you were watching Inception.

reVerse on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    That actually sounds like a section of Uncharted 2.

Or Bulletstorm.

I'd love it to be either of those, but I've never played any Uncharteds, and Bulletstorm is too recent. I was kind of hoping someone would come in with something like "it was in the FEAR 2 demo, but was cut because people were offended".

forumsig.png
    Well, it definitely wasn't FEAR 2.

I can't think of any recent FPS's that took place in a toppled office building. One of the Rainbow6 Vegas games, possibly? (probably not)

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • BookerBooker Registered User regular
    I've forgotten it's name as well, but that sounds a lot like that FPS that still hasn't been released. Set in Dubai after a gigantic sandstorm and most people have been evacuated. Might have been called "Sand"?

Ohhhhhh, Spec Op: something...

"The Line" I think.

edited August 2011
    Did you play the demo on a console or PC?

chamberlain on
    I was fairly sure it was on the 360, but that might be tied to me thinking it was the FEAR 2 demo which I did play on the 360. However since my PC has been a cumbersome piece of crap for the past few years, console is most likely.

forumsig.png
    Maybe:

Legendary.jpg

I may well have played that, looking up a video now.

forumsig.png
    :lol:

I'm sure you would have remembered an FPS with Gryphons, Werewolves and Minotaurs...

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Could have been Army of 2: the 40th day?

There's a scene in the demo where they blow up a building, and i thiiiink you play a bit where it's slanty?

Erin The Red on
    edited August 2011
    Yeah, sadly that doesn't look like it. No big worry if we can't find it, if I've not already bought it then I doubt it's something I was ever desperate to get.
    edit: I do remember playing 40th Day (and the first one, too), but I'm fairly sure it wasn't either of those games.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote:
    Okay, I recently finished FEAR 2 and was disappointed that this awesome scene (which I shall describe) from the demo wasn't in the final game. This seemed weird to me. I then looked up videos from the demo and, to my surprise, can't find it in the demo either. What I remembered was a bit where you're in some boring skyscraper making your way through what may have been some fairly bland, generic offices, when suddenly the whole building tips over and everything's left at an awkward angle, with you having to now pick your way through the now-ruined building, with crap strewn everywhere. I'm sure I didn't dream it, does anyone else have any ideas?

This is in the FEAR 2 "Reborn" DLC, not in the main game. You didn't dream it. :)

darleysam wrote:

This is in the FEAR 2 "Reborn" DLC, not in the main game. You didn't dream it. :)

So.. how the hell do I know about that?! Was any of it released as a demo, because I know I've never bought that. Either way, THANK YOU, that is great to hear. If people want, we can now talk about FEAR 2?

forumsig.png
  • Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    You sure you didn't just watch a preview trailer for it or something?

steam_sig.png
  • Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    The relevant part is at the 7:20 mark

Ad astra on
    Yup, that's exactly it! Thank you everyone, internet medals for all :) Still no idea how I played it, though.

forumsig.png
    Friend's house?

steam_sig.png
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Spec OPs only had a multiplayer BETA which was pretty good and then the game was delayed for three years.

• SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    darleysam wrote:
    Yup, that's exactly it! Thank you everyone, internet medals for all :) Still no idea how I played it, though.

This has made me interested in FEAR 3. I never played 1 or 2, should I? Thoughts on 3?

edited August 2011
    ...friends? :(
    HAH! Just looked on my download history, there was a Reborn demo. Well now I just feel like the mayor of 'tardville.

Right then, anyone want to talk FEAR 2/Reborn? I was really enjoying FEAR 2 at the start, then I couldn't help but feel it turned into a slog. I guess I'd have liked them to do more with the destroyed city, than to funnel me through yet more tunnels and research facilities. Also it had the problem of giving you awesome weapons, and not nearly enough ammo to want to use them. The penetrator takes SO long to kill a man, and the AOE dude-melter was awesome, for both shots (hyperbole) that you actually get for it.

edit: SkyTurnsRed, that's actually why I went and got FEAR 2. I loved the first one to bits, and was recently watching Helloween's LPs of the expansions with my girlfriend, and we decided that FEAR 3 would be good because of the co-op, but since I'd not actually played 2 besides the demo, decided I'd play that first if I could find it cheap. Was £14 on Games On Demand, so went with that. Will be getting 3 soon enough :)

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited August 2011
    darleysam wrote:

This has made me interested in FEAR 3. I never played 1 or 2, should I? Thoughts on 3?

I just finished it. It's... interesting. Definitely fun, but much better if played Co-Op. Keep in mind, though, that ultimately the ending you get depends on who did better during said co-op.

Also, it should be said that this feels quite different from past F.E.A.R. games, but that doesn't deter it from being quite decent. One big difference is there's an experience system in place with achievements per level that go toward giving you exp. It's refreshing in its own way, since you're not hunting down health and meter enhancements--they just happen as you progress.

There are exp "treasures" though in the form of corpses that are... I dunno... infected? Taken over at some point? Well, whatever they are, they're dead and have white vapor coming off them. And they give you experience, so just roll with it.

Edit Again: Damnit, I keep forgetting important things to add to this! Second player isn't another soldier with the ability to slow down time, he's the ghost of Paxton Fettel--you know, from the first game. And he can possess baddies for a finite amount of time for gun play, but otherwise just zaps them with his evil red beam of doom. Or picks them up with telekinesis and explodes them. Honestly, he's probably much cooler to play as.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    darleysam wrote:

I just finished it. It's... interesting. Definitely fun, but much better if played Co-Op. Keep in mind, though, that ultimately the ending you get depends on who did better during said co-op.

Also, it should be said that this feels quite different from past F.E.A.R. games, but that doesn't deter it from being quite decent. One big difference is there's an experience system in place with achievements per level that go toward giving you exp. It's refreshing in its own way, since you're not hunting down health and meter enhancements--they just happen as you progress.

There are exp "treasures" though in the form of corpses that are... I dunno... infected? Taken over at some point? Well, whatever they are, they're dead and have white vapor coming off them. And they give you experience, so just roll with it.

Edit Again: Damnit, I keep forgetting important things to add to this! Second player isn't another soldier with the ability to slow down time, he's the ghost of Paxton Fettel--you know, from the first game. And he can possess baddies for a finite amount of time for gun play, but otherwise just zaps them with his evil red beam of doom. Or picks them up with telekinesis and explodes them. Honestly, he's probably much cooler to play as.

I didn't play the first one or the second, but the co-op sounds interesting. I like that approach. Thanks for the detailed description. :)

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I actually finished the game a few days ago on Steam. Is the dlc available for that version? I don't recall seeing anything tbh.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Big Isy wrote:
    I actually finished the game a few days ago on Steam. Is the dlc available for that version? I don't recall seeing anything tbh.

Yeah. It'd be supremely bizarre if it didn't since the base game requires Steam to begin with.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Oh wow nice. Thanks for that. Now I just need to work out why I don't have it already despite owning all the other fear stuff. I think I got the collection, hence the confusion.