Here is a breakup thread

2»

• ins0mniacins0mniac Registered User regular
    I know how you feel, man. I'm 23, so a bit older, but nonetheless it hurts the same.

My ex girlfriend and I were together for 2 years. Things were not working between us for several months.. A result of being in different places in life. I'm 23, she's 26 and has a 3 year old son. She has much more "life experience" than I do, and we were just.. Not putting in the effort to sustain the relationship. When it worked, it was great, but it just wasn't working for either of us.

So we split. For the first month, she begged me to come back. I kept telling myself that we just needed time apart, and that I needed to sort my life out. It wasn't long before I realized I had made a mistake, missed her and her son that I had grown to love so much, and started to try and fix things.

Well, it was too late. She is an incredibly headstrong woman, and she decided that chapter of her life was over. She no longer wanted to work things out, and soon I find out that she's been seeing someone else.

That destroyed me. To think of the person that I had loved more than anything else in someone else's arms.. It literally sickens me. To know that I will no longer be apart of her sons life.. It really has been tearing me up inside. And the worst part about it is that we still work together, albeit only the same shifts once or twice a week. It kills me to see her, and hear her talking about her new boyfriend (although not "official", it seems that it's lacking only the title) only 3ish months after we broke up..

I am incredibly lonely, but I know it will pass. I only want for her to be happy, and I'm glad she has apparently found someone who does. I know this is all for the best, but it still hurts like a bitch.

I've been trying to hang out with friends, but those are in short supply for me these days. There is alot in my life that I want to change. Quit smoking cigarettes and weed (not doing well there), exercise more (been running pretty frequently, but I have regressed in the past week or so...), get more serious about school.. And the list goes on. But lately, all i seem to do is sit at home and read A Song of Ice and Fire.

But I'm starting to come out of it. Slowly, painfully, but it's starting to fade. I remember being in the same situation as you in high school, and thinking it could never be worse. It always seems bad now, but in time it will get better.

At least that's what I keep telling myself.

X-Box Live Gamertag: Merciless319
  • Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    details of a betrayal just add fuel to the depression fire. Don't even go there. You know all you need to know about what happened. I know it feels crushing now, but it's high school, and things WILL get better. College will make high school seem like a distant memory.

I was a sycophantic popularity whore in high school. Once i got to college, i really realized what a douche i was, and really wondered why anyone was friends with me at all.

• AxonAxon Registered User regular
    You're such a young guy man. I'm 31, I'd love to be 17 again.

But this is just a break up bro. They happen for no reason sometimes. I was just with a girl for six months and felt her pulling away; I asked her if she wanted to be together anymore and she said no. No reason was offered other than she was busy with med school and "no good" at the current time. But since I made it easy for her, I rolled out with my head held high. And you know what? It barely even upset me. I liked her a lot too.

But if someone isn't doing right by you, you have to get out. And that's what you need to do. I bet deep down inside you'd still like to get back with her, but the feelings aren't there for her anymore. So don't beat yourself up over it, just do what you need to do. Be selfish and protect yourself.

Other advice: do not be friends with her and do not be friends with this James kid. It's just gonna drive you nuts. You don't HAVE to be friends with an ex; in fact, its much easier to cut all ties. There will be other women, for sure. Maybe sooner than you think.