As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A [Mini-Phalla] of Time and Space - Day 9: Village Victory!

MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Critical Failures
This is a mini-phalla, which is just like a regular Phalla but… mini. The maximum number of players for this mini-phalla (hereafter, “mini”) is 30, but if signups are slow it can be played with much fewer. Speaking of which, if you would like to try your hand at greatness, signup in lime green or some other bright color to declare your intentions. Just don’t use any kind of orange because that’s reserved for clarifications or other host-type chatter, which will hopefully be kept to a minimum.

Why should you play this mini? Well, I think it’s going to be interesting, but I guess I’m a bit biased so I’ll give you a rundown of the basic ideas that set this guy apart. First, and most notably, this mini is about time travel. While this may come through most obviously in the narration – the story will investigate the nature of a society in which limited time travel is feasible – I hope that it also makes for a novel twist to otherwise relatively standard mechanics. On a related note, do not bother asking about the order of actions. This is one of the things that you should try to figure out, so your clarification will almost assuredly be denied. Of course if you have questions about your specific abilities, I will not begrudge your inability to understand my obviously immaculate prose.

Also, I will not spoon feed you information. A list of the dead will be given but colors, roles, and methods of death will be notably absent. The narration will give clues to the identity of the killers/deceased. Some will be subtle while others will be obvious. There are also roles which will make things less ambiguous (this is one of the ways I got rid of the vanillager role), but since death is unpredictable, it may be up to you to do some analysis.

Finally, this mini will hopefully be an exercise in group storytelling. Don’t worry, I’m not going to ask you to write the narrations (though they may be much better if I did). However, I have ideas for why many of the characters might do one thing or another, but obviously what they actually do will be determined by you guys. Consequently, I’m going to ask to be included on all PMs. This isn’t a rule, but a tool for me to hopefully provide the best story I can. Help me help you.

Speaking of rules, the following are verboten:
  1. Communication between the living and the dead unless your role PM specifically says otherwise.
  2. Anonymous communication (i.e. contacting someone outside of PA forums when your target does not know your forum name).
  3. Screenshots or other methods of verifying host or player information, notably adding someone other than me to your “conversation” (PM).
  4. Having fun. Wait, no, this is encouraged. Got carried away with the german-ness, there.
  5. Any other standard rules I’m forgetting, unless specifically contradicted by a role PM.

Disclaimers: This is my first time running a Phalla. I’ve done my best to attempt a good balance, but certain roles, given the underlying mechanics, may be more or less powerful than anticipated. Also, writing under time pressure is not my forte. Hopefully the narrations will be interesting, but it’s possible that they will just be drab exercises in logical analysis. Also, narrations may come later than you’re used to.

Hopefully, the first vote will be on Sunday or Monday. Cast your votes in red. Vote will close at 11 P.M. Eastern/8 P.M. Pacific/… um, 3 A.M. GMT? (Sorry not-America) This is also the deadline for orders unless specifically stated otherwise in your role PM. When signups are finished, the Day 1 narration will go up, then role PMs will go out, then I will announce when the first close will be.

And finally, just because I learned this the hard way, clarifications can be asked publicly (preferably in some kind of orange), but should be asked privately if you fear it may reveal something about your role that you would rather not reveal just yet.

Player List
  1. kime(Jimmy Charles)
  2. stever777(Martha Hazard)
  3. Langly(Senator John Cagley)
  4. TheScruple(Alex Hazard-Jenner)
  5. I needed a name to post(Leslie Jameson)
  6. Mordroth(Lydia Baines)
  7. kuhlmeye(Shaina Rodgers)
  8. KingMole(Nellie Perkins)
  9. romanqwerty(Cray Dougherty)
  10. Peccavi(Pete McConnell)
  11. Jason Todd(Jake Titman)
  12. Retaba(Brett Berger)
  13. The Anonymous(Senator Darla Nox)
  14. SlyM(Mary Parks)
  15. DeliciousTacos(Tina Shabus)
  16. WanderingHero(Billy Wedge)
  17. Lucedes(Betty Vigus)
  18. Cythraul(Julie Capman)
  19. Void Slayer(Michael Faxley)
  20. Ringo(Uma Brecko)
  21. Alegis(Gabe Levi)
  22. Baidol(Greg Marshall)
  23. Egos(Gary Jenner)
  24. FecklessRogue(Rodger Mannsfield)
  25. Spoit(Sarah Lasser)
  26. Capfalcon(Barry Rendon)
  27. warban(Bobby Kida)
  28. wildwood(Will Vigus)
  29. jdarksun(Les Moore)
  30. Tmoiy(Samantha Vassar)

Reserves
  1. Phyphor

Narrations
  1. Day 1
  2. Day 2
  3. Day 3
  4. Day 4
  5. Day 5
  6. Day 6
  7. Day 7
  8. Day 8
  9. Day 9

MrTLicious on

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Well, I'm intrigued :)

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    2 phallas at once? Do I dare?
    Yes.
    Altho' I am easily confused.

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    boxcars%20lynch.gif

I HATE TIME RAVEL I HATE TIME TRAVEL I HATE TIME TRAVEL

OK, it's time to get Timey-Wimey

Steam profile
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    So, uh...how many people are you actually aiming for

steam_sig.png
    Time travel is fun. It's the middle of the day, so people are excused now, but if they don't sign up later I will be very unhappy

Steam profile
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Why not? I like hidden mechanics games

• MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote:
    So, uh...how many people are you actually aiming for

The version I have is balanced for 30, but it wouldn't take much to get it down to as little 20. Less than that and I think we'd start losing the interesting stuff.

• TheScrupleTheScruple The Oldest of BridgesRegistered User regular
    I will get better at these at some point. Maybe.

All prairie dogs just want to be heroes
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I AM INTRIGUED

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • MordrothMordroth EntrepreNerd New Republic of AlbertaRegistered User regular
    Sounds like cool beans.

• MordrothMordroth EntrepreNerd New Republic of AlbertaRegistered User regular
    Why did colour get so difficult? No easy clicky box? wtf!

• kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    Where we're going, we don't need roads

PSN: the-K-flash
  • KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular

doomrider_sigPA.png
  • romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    perhaps

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Time Travel, you say?

• Jason ToddJason Todd Registered User regular
    I did not sign-up in Timeline A

filefile.jpg
  • RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Crackers don't matter! sign up!
    Also, I appreciate your post, Langly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNA17K572oo
    Farscape spoilers so don't click if you havn't seen it, I think

Retaba on
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    By saying that I am not talking about this, I am in fact talking about this.

TIME PARADOX!

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    It's time to play a game.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • DeliciousTacosDeliciousTacos Registered User regular
    Day 1'd in the other game, so I will join this one

Retaba wrote:
    Crackers don't matter! sign up!
    Also, I appreciate your post, Langly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNA17K572oo
    Farscape spoilers so don't click if you havn't seen it, I think

Yaaaaay someone got it

• Wandering HeroWandering Hero Registered User regular
    Sure

Not today.
    I'm going to switch to reserve as I will only have phone internets until next week

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i put on my robes and timelord hat

kuhlmeye wrote:
    Where we're going, we don't need roads

This actually inspired one of the time travel mechanisms, though it's much less relevant than originally planned.

• CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    Signup

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Signup/reserve, I don't really understand all this time stuff but robots generally = bad right?

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    something something something something something something something something something something something something something something something something something something something something...

stuff

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    cool beans

The problem with phallas is that you never know when or where they're going to strike.

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    Langly wrote:
    The problem with phallas is that you never know when or where they're going to strike.

it's a lot easier to predict if you're married.

It looks like signups have died down. I'm going to go through and balance a smaller game. I'll post the Day 1 narration and send out PMs sometime tomorrow night. Signups are still open until I post the narration. Assuming that goes as planned, the first close will be Monday at 11 P.M. EST.

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    !Bringing a stitch in time

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    I'll sign up[color]. Assuming your desired number is 25.

• FecklessRogueFecklessRogue Registered User regular
    This sounds too interesting to let it get downsized. I'm in.

Fezzes are cool

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    whynot

steam_sig.png
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Since I'm dead in the other one, I'll go back in time and save myself!

• warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Sure.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!