As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sensational and Friendly Neighborhood Spider-man cancelled

• Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The fact that the continuation is apparently called 'Brand New Day' sounds a bit unsettling.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Peter David on She-Hulk?

Does this mean the book is going to get epic?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I really liked Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, but I can kind of understand why it never caught on. And I definitely understand them feeling the need to streamline Spider-Man, since other than Wolverine, he's the only Marvel character to have more than one solo ongoing a month (I'm pretty sure, at least).

The three-a-month thing seems kind of cool though, assuming they can get some good talent on the book.

Wolverine has more than one solo book?

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I really liked Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, but I can kind of understand why it never caught on. And I definitely understand them feeling the need to streamline Spider-Man, since other than Wolverine, he's the only Marvel character to have more than one solo ongoing a month (I'm pretty sure, at least).

The three-a-month thing seems kind of cool though, assuming they can get some good talent on the book.

Wolverine and Wolverin: Origins.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Peter David on She-Hulk?

Does this mean the book is going to get epic?

She-Hulk will go on an eight-issue quest to figure out who the father of her child is.

I'm guessing it's Marko.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

Wolverine and Wolverin: Origins.

I thought Origins was a mini.

I guess this is what I get for hardly reading any superhero books.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TankTank Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This really sucks for me, because (alternate reality Uncle Ben aside) I really loved FNSM. It was the "fun" Spider-Man comic. Where Spidey got into fights with supervillians, made lots of witty remarks, and there where no big world changing events taking place in the book. Also, it was one of the few Spidey books that seemed to focus on his relationships with his friends.

Oh well, guess I'll be checking out Spider-man Adventures too.

Tank on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HyperWrenchHyperWrench Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I like the idea of a weekly title, but seeing as FSM was the only Spidey book I read I'm kind of torn. If I want a solo Spidey book, now it's going to cost me more a month. I don't know if I'm going to start picking up Amazing or just be happy with the Spidey appearances in New Avengers.

On a related note, how does this effect that new Spider-Man book that Jeph Loeb & J Scott Campbell were supposed to be doing? I thought that they were going to launch a new monthly or was/is it a mini?

HyperWrench on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The interview I read indicated the writers would be planning the long-term arcs together, then rotating on the individual issues, so I dont think writer conflict is going to be a big issue.

Again it depends on the talent, but I personally prefer if all the titles featuring a particular character are cohesive.

Algertman wrote:
    Though MARVEL would have never tried this if not for 52.

Jesus, shut the fuck up

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    The interview I read indicated the writers would be planning the long-term arcs together, then rotating on the individual issues, so I dont think writer conflict is going to be a big issue.

Again it depends on the talent, but I personally prefer if all the titles featuring a particular character are cohesive.

Algertman wrote:

Jesus, shut the fuck up

prove me wrong

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Algertman wrote: »

Algertman wrote:

Jesus, shut the fuck up

prove me wrong

Prove me wrong.
    Actually don't, because I care less than zero about your irrational need to shit on Marvel in every thread

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Furu wrote: »
    God I hope the rumors of "One More Day" ending with a full or partial reboot of Spider-Man are full of crap.

That may be the only way to fix Spider-Man after JMS completly fucked him up after JRjr left the book.

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Algertman wrote:

Jesus, shut the fuck up

prove me wrong

Prove me wrong.
    Actually don't, because I care less than zero about your irrational need to shit on Marvel in every thread

Same editor.

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    There is absolutley no need to fix Spider-Man. The books needs some fresh blood and it will get it, thats it.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    There is absolutley no need to fix Spider-Man. The books needs some fresh blood and it will get it, thats it.

Uh, yeah there is. Even if they need to pull the old "Norman was behind it all and lied about everything" card Spider-man needs FIXED

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Uh, yeah there is. Even if they need to pull the old "Norman was behind it all and lied about everything" card Spider-man needs FIXED

What needs to be fixed exactly.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Once again we see the Algertman Law of Judging Marvel Decisions in action.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Once again we see the Algertman Law of Judging Marvel Decisions in action.
    1.Was it published by DC.
       |_If Yes, go to 4.
       |_If No, go to 2.

2.Was it published by Marvel?
       |_If Yes, go to 3.
       |_If No, go to 6.

3.Is it anything less than "Critically acclaimed"?
       |_If Yes, go to 5.
       |_If no, go to 4.

4.He probably likes it.

5.It's shit, why are you reading it. God, fucking fanboys.

6.He has no strong opinion.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007

Spider-Man needs a secret identity damnit.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2007
    skeldare wrote: »

Probably not going to go back for a while. Mainly because they haven't really had time to deal with all of the stories you could tell from that yet, and partially because he doesn't really need a secret identity to be at the center of good stories.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Probably not going to go back for a while. Mainly because they haven't really had time to deal with all of the stories you could tell from that yet, and partially because he doesn't really need a secret identity to be at the center of good stories.
    True. And god knows how they're going to go back without a complete reboot or mind wipe anyway.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2007
    There are a lot of ways that aren't exactly clean cuts. Like how Daredevil got his back recently, but not everyone believes that he isn't really Matt Murdock. And the Skrull thing will probably be tempting.

And the Brand New Day thing seems to be more turning the page from the Civil War fallout to something new. I'm fairly certain One More Day is going to wrap the Aunt May in the hospital story up, and the following will be him dealing with whatever happens.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Algertman wrote:

Jesus, shut the fuck up

prove me wrong

How? How do we prove that Marvel did not do this because of 52 when nothing short of READING JOE QUESADA'S MIND would make you happy.
    Even then, you'd probably deny it.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Peter does have a secret identity as Ben Reilly, in which he's pretty much an ugly Peter Parker.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think Spider-Man is a strong enough character that he can easily go on for another fifty years without re-establishing his secret identity. Unless you want to keep him in stasis as a high school kid living at aunt mays still and dating MJ while trying to balance school,work and crime fighting I say carry on (though there are a number of little annoying "recent events" that I'd like to see banished to the abyss).

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I think Spider-Man is a strong enough character that he can easily go on for another fifty years without re-establishing his secret identity. Unless you want to keep him in stasis as a high school kid living at aunt mays still and dating MJ while trying to balance school,work and crime fighting I say carry on (though there are a number of little annoying "recent events" that I'd like to see banished to the abyss).
    Isn't that what the Ultimate Universe is for?

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Exactly.

Truth be told, it's the only Spider-man I bother reading. Maybe I will get into this new pseudo-weekly Amazing Spider-man though, it could be really good.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    bobgorila wrote: »

Exactly.

It's also what Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane is for, and since Terry Goddamn Moore is taking over that book once Sean Goddamn McKeever leaves you should all be reading this as well.

Bogart on
  • Options
    MinkyUrungusMinkyUrungus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Uhh...not to bring up this (apparently) sore subject, but I read that the weekly idea for the Amazing Spidey title was in the plans a little while before 52 was announced.

This is probably a retarded thing to bring up, but I read it recently (I THINK it was in an interview with Wacker...), and I love Spidey...

...and he loves me.

He better, at least. Anyone who had to trudge through the shit that was the early-to-mid-90's of Spidey comics should get some type of arachnic love.

MinkyUrungus on
    Just this:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Kirby-Venom! :)

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, it's definitely one of the best Things in this life, the Kirby-Venom.

I didn't make it though! I'm just using the picture! I don't want to...COULDN'T...take credit for it.

And you got Zoidberg. A true testament to Billy West's vocal-genius.

MinkyUrungus on
    Just this:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    wait...that is your sig? You might wanna trim that down a little dude.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Nogs wrote: »
    wait...that is your sig? You might wanna trim that down a little dude.
    Yeah, I actually thought it was part of his post which is why I responded to it...

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    the only thing i really dislike about JMS' run was sins past. man, fuck that. i just don't like the idea of norman bangin gwen. It's like picturing your mom cheating on your dad with lumberg.

Guek on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Guek wrote: »
    the only thing i really dislike about JMS' run was sins past. man, fuck that. i just don't like the idea of norman bangin gwen. It's like picturing your mom cheating on your dad with lumberg.

Agreed... I mean, it was like they were trying to make Norman more despicable (look, he killed the mother of his own kids, that sick fuck!) but all they did was tarnish and trash a beloved character. It was actually pretty sickening.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, thanks for the sig-size warning.

MinkyUrungus on
    Just this:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Uhh...not to bring up this (apparently) sore subject, but I read that the weekly idea for the Amazing Spidey title was in the plans a little while before 52 was announced.

This is probably a retarded thing to bring up, but I read it recently (I THINK it was in an interview with Wacker...), and I love Spidey...

...and he loves me.

He better, at least. Anyone who had to trudge through the shit that was the early-to-mid-90's of Spidey comics should get some type of arachnic love.

HEY! The 90s brought us such golden moments in history as Carnage and the Clone sag-Ahahahahaa

I couldn't get it out. Damn.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    HEY!

it gave us ben reilly. at least we got that

Guek on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Guek wrote: »
    HEY!

it gave us ben reilly. at least we got that

This is a point FOR your argument?

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Ben Reilly was actually a really good character until edetorial mandates ruined him

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]