As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Great Relatives Computer Fix-off

Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
I'm visiting family and yea, I need to fix their computer. I'm a smart user, don't download crap, stop scripts on websites with add-ons, etc. I lock my shit down. The thing is, I can't go that far for them because they won't be able to figure any of that shit out. So I wanted some input on a general list of what to do. This is what I've got:
I'm going to remove the crap "virus protection" they have because the Win7 one is great.
I'm going to run CC Cleaner and Malware Bytes.
I'm going to remove Safari (because seriously, wtf) and set them up with... what? I want to prevent malicious scripts but still allow common ones, block pop-ups, all that good stuff. But I don't want them to have to override anything, because this is a household of computer illiterates.
I'm also going to have a serious sit down with the 14 year old girl who is destroying this poor machine.

edit: HijackThis is still a go to?

Skoal Cat on