As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

In the next 15 days, I'll have been without any sort of traditional TV service for 1 year

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    'fully weaned off the glass teat'

take my nipples, Onion

• LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Everyone who is talking about "not watching tv" is missing the entire point of this topic.

I was just coming in here to comment something similar, whoooooops.

If I was running my own life, I'd just have game systems, and maybe netflix streaming for movies.

• MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    Everyone who is talking about "not watching tv" is missing the entire point of this topic.

But where else am I going to brag about not watching TV?????

• jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    I've never had cable. I do watch TV, but OTA is a perfectly viable option in most areas.

• TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular

But where else am I going to brag about not watching TV?????

the coffee shoppe brah

• LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    You should change the thread title. I think we're all hoping this thread is something that its not. I think we all inherently want to be "that brah".

• AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Someone on the forums said something a few weeks back about Hulu+ on the 360 having a limited catalog. I meant to look into that and never did. Can anyone confirm/deny before I go have to read a webpage or some shit?

• lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    I challenge anyone to watch MORE tv than me! Take that!

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    Pfft, pop culture.

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Someone on the forums said something a few weeks back about Hulu+ on the 360 having a limited catalog. I meant to look into that and never did. Can anyone confirm/deny before I go have to read a webpage or some shit?

It seems so to me. There are also "Internet only" offerings that are not available, like Community.

• TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    Rolo wrote:
    Don't watch TV at all.

I own one and get free cable, don't even bother turning it on.

This. My previous set up was some extended cable with internet for $85 a month. Only reason I had that was because my room mate wanted it. As of now, I'm only using internet.

Some people think I'm insane for not watching tv. I just want my entertainment to be more interactive.

yup

sig.png
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    i haven't watched tv for more then an hour at a time in 4 years. and last time i did was the super bowl.

Largely because websites have anything i could ever want to watch.

Melding on
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    Cable television is just a reality show cesspool at this point. One of my friends always has HGTV on, and it literally shows the exact same reality show constantly except the name changes. Everything is realty based, House Hunters, House Hunters International, House Hunters on Vacation, Selling NY, Selling LA, My First Place, My First Sale, and I know I've missed some. I understand that they have some decorating shows as well but I haven't seen any.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I didn't have TV service for the past year when I lived by myself. Most of the shows I do watch are available for streaming the next day, so I just did that

Now that I have TV service available to me I still just wait until the next day and watch it on my computer

Langly wrote:

It seems so to me. There are also "Internet only" offerings that are not available, like Community.

yeah I can confirm it too, thats the main reason I use a PC over something like the 360 as my tv box.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Langly wrote:
    Squall wrote:

ahahahahhahahahha

I think I know this guy.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    I'm looking to move away from cable myself, actually. newegg has a nice little set up for $300 that I can throw ubuntu on

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    just record everything I want to watch is how I roll

Mysst wrote:
    I'm looking to move away from cable myself, actually. newegg has a nice little set up for $300 that I can throw ubuntu on

I maintained a mythtv box for about 4 years before moving back to windows, mainly for gaming. Mythtv is an awesome media center software, although it's definitely not plug and play. Be prepared for a full day of set up if you want to have a full server with clients.

• AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Langly wrote:

yeah I can confirm it too, thats the main reason I use a PC over something like the 360 as my tv box.
    Well, balls to that then.

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    jackal wrote:
    Cable television is just a reality show cesspool at this point. One of my friends always has HGTV on, and it literally shows the exact same reality show constantly except the name changes. Everything is realty based, House Hunters, House Hunters International, House Hunters on Vacation, Selling NY, Selling LA, My First Place, My First Sale, and I know I've missed some. I understand that they have some decorating shows as well but I haven't seen any.

A lot of it is dumb reality tv. My parents certainly watch pretty much that.

There are also good shows. Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Archer, Justified, Adventure Time, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Doctor Who, Burn Notice (not sure if it is any good anymore), Game of Thrones, Psych, Sherlock, Terriers (now canceled :( ), White Collar, No Reservations, Eureka (just got cancelled, but is finishing out the series), Futurama

The food network still has some good shows that aren't reality tv. Good eats is still on, right?

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    Langly wrote:

Well, balls to that then.

It also sucks when I try to stream hulu to my tablet. I have a Galaxy Tab 10.1 and there's not hulu app for it. There's not netflix app either, but the app that is supposed to work on the atrix also work son the tab 10.1. There's a long complicated method to getting hulu on your tablet but I figure I'll just wait for the real app.

Artreus wrote:
    jackal wrote:

There are also good shows. Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Archer, Justified, Adventure Time, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Doctor Who, Burn Notice (not sure if it is any good anymore), Game of Thrones, Psych, Sherlock, Terriers (now canceled :( ), White Collar, No Reservations, Eureka (just got cancelled, but is finishing out the series), Futurama

The food network still has some good shows that aren't reality tv. Good eats is still on, right?

The best TV, imo, is on HBO. That channel is pure class.

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    The iPad has netflix and hulu plus apps.

Also it has Air video, which lets you steam things you have on your hard drive over your network or the internet.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Hulu plus sounded cool at first, all "Hey, I can watch shows on my Xbox or iPhone." And then you realize every show you want to watch is "web only" meaning you can only watch them from your computer.

BLM - ACAB
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    My wife and I just cut our cable service a month ago and I've got to say, I don't miss it. Turns out I didn't watch much tv before and I don't watch much now, only I have more money now.

• PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    It's either been 1 or 2 years now that I, too, have not subscribed to cable TV, and I picked up Netflix. I still watch the stuff on local stations now and then, but it's maybe 1 show a month.

To whoever said it last page: Yes, watching entire seasons of shows is great.

• NanakiNanaki Registered User regular
    I moved into my house in December, and we decided to take the same route. No cable, no land-line. We tried Hulu for a month, but found we weren't even using that all too much. And with Netflix being my main source of television, I've gotten into things I don't think I would have otherwise. 'Lost' was a show I put off for years, but when one of my housemates started watching an episode, we both got hooked and wound up watching it in it's entirety. I loved it!

Let's look death in the face and say, "Whatever, man!"
  • PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Nanaki wrote:
    I moved into my house in December, and we decided to take the same route. No cable, no land-line. We tried Hulu for a month, but found we weren't even using that all too much. And with Netflix being my main source of television, I've gotten into things I don't think I would have otherwise. 'Lost' was a show I put off for years, but when one of my housemates started watching an episode, we both got hooked and wound up watching it in it's entirety. I loved it!

LOST was the last TV show I was willing to wait week to week to watch. Such a good show.

Artreus wrote:
    jackal wrote:

The best TV, imo, is on HBO. That channel is pure class.

If I could get access to certain channels at a reasonable price I would, but the good-to-crap ratio is just too low. I watch most of those shows, but a year late and all at the same time. The cable companies generally pay a few cents per user per channel per month (except for premium channels of course, and ESPN which is several dollars per user) and then have the balls to charge like $100 per month. Fuck that.

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Langly wrote: »
    I use netflix streaming and hulu plus through my xbawx, I don't have cable.

I do not understand why anyone would pay for Hulu Plus on their 360. When I tried it out, the most glaring shortcoming was almost everything I wanted to watch was listed "Web only".

Yeah, brilliant. I'm going to pay for a subscription to Hulu Plus so I can not watch the shows I want to watch on the 360!

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    Oh yeah and Ghost Hunters. I saw one episode (someone else had the remote) where they claimed ghost children were pushing cars up an incline. Only after "testing" all of the "reasonable" ghost related explanations did they decide to take the roads grade, and shockingly found that it was actually downhill rather than uphill. arghalbarghbarghl!

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    We've been without cable for about half a year due to budget restrictions. We got a pretty good quality HD antenna for the TV so we can get local stations, and we've been watching other shows on Netflix or Hulu. For Hulu, we use the HDMI port on the laptop and hook it up to the TV. Most of the stuff we watch is on free hulu, like shows on SyFy. And networks that don't have their stuff on Hulu usually have their own streaming service on their own website. I think Cartoon Network stuff like Batman: TBATB, Young Justice, Adventure Time, etc. are the only things that I can't find on the web. I'm sure there are shady ways of getting them, but that requires too much work.

BLM - ACAB
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Sars_Boy wrote:
    fuck people who "don't watch tv"

what does that mean? do you just physically not look at televisions?

because downloading shows and watching them still counts as watching tv, hoss.

there just aren't many shows that I want to watch

I don't see why this is so difficult to understand

maybe I appreciate having more free time and not becoming a mindless zombie for hours on end

you're probably functionally illiterate which is why you prefer having your information spoon fed to you like a mental infant

as advertising is forced down your throat and you become indoctrinated into a lifestyle of blatant consumerism

slowly losing your free will and sense of self (or maybe you never developed one?) because your poor mole-eyes can't see any further than the glowing box in front of you

and your hands won't reach any further than to grasp for the remote

as your disgusting pot belly, swollen with 'diet' soft drinks and snack foods, gurgles its disgust for your sedentary lifestyle

you are everything that is wrong with america

unlike me

I just watch starcraft and street fighter videos on youtube

that is completely different

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    We're strictly Netflix. Although we recently decided to split our accounts because our viewing habits are so different. Jess likes the convenience of streaming and watches stuff while she's knitting or doing other stuff so she mostly listens and just glances up occasionally. So documentaries are great for how she watches. Stuff that's plot heavy not so much. On the other hand I want the much broader selection they offer on DVD so she has her streaming only plan and I have my DVD only plan and it works out well.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I haven't had TV in two years, though I'm strongly considering getting an antenna so I can watch football this year

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    The Geek wrote:
    We've been without cable for about half a year due to budget restrictions. We got a pretty good quality HD antenna for the TV so we can get local stations, and we've been watching other shows on Netflix or Hulu. For Hulu, we use the HDMI port on the laptop and hook it up to the TV. Most of the stuff we watch is on free hulu, like shows on SyFy. And networks that don't have their stuff on Hulu usually have their own streaming service on their own website. I think Cartoon Network stuff like Batman: TBATB, Young Justice, Adventure Time, etc. are the only things that I can't find on the web. I'm sure there are shady ways of getting them, but that requires too much work.

You can stream the most recent episodes of cartoon network off their site, so if you make sure to keep up you can be good. it is what I plan on doing!

ikbUJdU.jpg
    I haven't had TV in two years, though I'm strongly considering getting an antenna so I can watch football this year

I don't watch the NFL, I watch NCAA football, so having the ESPN channels streaming is a god send

• NanakiNanaki Registered User regular
    I do dearly miss Adventure Time! I'm so going to CartoonNetwork.web right now. Thanks Mysst!

Let's look death in the face and say, "Whatever, man!"
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    really I'd be more inclined to use on-demand services if any of them fucking worked in Canada