As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

SIEGE TV: My Web Series

2»

• SiegeSiege Registered User regular
    So, the episode won't be out until probably Wednesday due to the amount of editing I have to do for it, but here's a teaser image from it. Still a WIP shot, but you get the idea.

216714_174360852634237_156718031065186_392430_2038687_n.jpg

SIEGE TV | I made the short film Automata: Prelude. Check out the thread and go watch it here!
    New video! Based on Deus Ex: Human Revolution that comes out later this month.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63ma-aq7OI8

SIEGE TV | I made the short film Automata: Prelude. Check out the thread and go watch it here!
  • MabelmaMabelma Registered User regular
    I saw this last night and although I literally have no idea of what Deus Ex is I enjoyed the video way too much! Are you the one that does all the CGI? Cause Damn those arm sword things are amazing and the shades around eye thing, just woow! Great work man, can't wait for the next one.

Have some time, check out my blog
    Thanks! I do the camera work (had a friend do it this time since I was the main character in this one, but I still supervised), editing, vfx and sound (for now). We're working on getting Bryan (the guy that's usually in them) a decent computer so he can slowly start taking over sound and some VFX work, but that'll still be a while. I really wish the VFX were better (I absolutely hate the 2nd sword arm), but I'm okay with it being what it is for now as I'm self taught and only been doing this for about a year and a half now (and we shot all of the footage this past Saturday/Sunday).

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    The kung fu on the second take down seems kinda slow and unconvincing. The guy also seems to be sorta a different color when he comes out of invisible mode? As if hes gray or not in the same lighting situation. Just some nitpicks, looks good other wise, but I thought this lacked some of your usual cleverness, even when being serious, it would be great to still feel surprised.

Iruka wrote:
    The kung fu on the second take down seems kinda slow and unconvincing. The guy also seems to be sorta a different color when he comes out of invisible mode? As if hes gray or not in the same lighting situation.

Yeah, unfortunately the footage we had was garbage for the "decloak" part. We used bluegreens behind the actors on location, but the keying was terrible (as the screens were too close) so it always took out half the actor when I'd try to get rid of the blue. Did the best I could, but eventually decided to move on to the other parts that I hadn't done yet.
    Iruka wrote:
    Just some nitpicks, looks good other wise, but I thought this lacked some of your usual cleverness, even when being serious, it would be great to still feel surprised.

Noted. Will keep that in mind for the next time we do a video in this style. Thanks for the feedback!

So, Eidos Montreal actually tweeted about the video and linked to it on their Deus Ex: Human Revolution FB page. Turning the video into a 3 part story. Hoping to have the 2nd part done by the 22nd. Here's hopin'!

• MabelmaMabelma Registered User regular
    Siege wrote:
    So, Eidos Montreal actually tweeted about the video and linked to it on their Deus Ex: Human Revolution FB page.

Saw this and my good man, that means exposure and lots of it. Congratulations.

Have some time, check out my blog
  • Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    I feel this isn't getting the following it deserves.

New video up! This time about Quicktime Events.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuopCcKd4yY&feature=player_embedded

Him just throwing the juice back into the fridge really got me. I'm one for really short cracked out slapstic, so I feel like end could have been punchier and faster, but overall :^:

Teaser image for the new Deus Ex video. We're just treating this one as a new one, as opposed to continuing it from the last one, cause the production/effects are just too different. It wouldn't connect very well. First one we spent $0 on. I spent about $100 on this one, though. Hopefully it's noticable! Hoping to have it online next week. Anyway, here's the image (color correction is not final, but just something I had thrown on at the time of the render):

299236_10100112686148181_33002113_43443769_1839787_n.jpg

I feel like you are abandoning your roots to troll for views with Deus Ex.

No not really, but it was too hard not to post that, and I failed.

I just like Deus Ex a lot. :(

We have been slack with the regular videos, but that's mostly because my work (another friend and I run an upstart production company) has been getting a shit ton of jobs lately and I've had to focus on that cause...I like to eat and pay my rent.

We're planning on trying to get this one out by this Monday (please, please, please). We already have 2 other normal episodes ready to be filmed as well as a Behind the Scenes type episode for the latest Deus Ex one as a bonus video for one of those weeks.

Siege wrote:
    I just like Deus Ex a lot. :(

We have been slack with the regular videos, but that's mostly because my work (another friend and I run an upstart production company) has been getting a shit ton of jobs lately and I've had to focus on that cause...I like to eat and pay my rent.

We're planning on trying to get this one out by this Monday (please, please, please). We already have 2 other normal episodes ready to be filmed as well as a Behind the Scenes type episode for the latest Deus Ex one as a bonus video for one of those weeks.

To be clear I was kidding, I have a ton of respect for you what you guys do.

Oh, I know you were kidding! I just wanted to explain since I actually do hate not getting videos out consistently.

This one has also been the most editing I've ever done on...anything, really. It's posing some challenges. We actually had planned to do 2 more episodes that were separate from the original, but now because some of the big props have gone missing, we had to recut the original and change the presentation some to use what we had to still make an episode that was good. So, now we're doing 3 episodes instead, which will give us some time to find replacements for the props (one of which was the trenchcoat I had for Jensen).

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    > I'm kidding
    > Oh
    > To be clear I was kidding
    > Oh I know you were kidding

That is one weird conversation.
    It's like two people walking in each others path and whenever one of you tries to dodge around one side the other person moves the same direction the same time.

Also, I'm looking forward to this one!

So, finally finished. Hoping to move back to a weekly/bi-weekly release schedule soon.

Real life just been too hectic lately with only one of us doing the editing.

Here's the video!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPRl-xpidzA

I thought the test film had a more interesting build up, at least there was a little bit of character interaction that was just combat, but I think the acting was just a bit smoother. Unfortunately if its just going to be action I think the expectations for effects and good, fluid motion go way up than if there was a little plot involved. Its cool to see you guys trying a bunch of stuff, though, hopefully it'll keep it fresh for you.

edited September 2011
    True, but I think the target demographic in this case is really only interested in those effects, and their focus on them is appropriate in this instance. While this may generate more views in the short term due to hype around the game, the audience is much more limited compared to the potential their shorts can bring in.

If Siege TV gains mainstream success it will be on the back of shorts with some good plot and clever dialogue. They have the effects down, they need a little bit more focus on timing and structure. Which is not to say their shorts aren't hilarious, they are fucking hilarious, but you have to not only be a gamer to appreciate them (which is of course by design), but you also have to be a gamer with an attention-span longer than 20 seconds so you can get past the build-up which is why none of my Facebook friends comment on them (they are all idiots) despite me linking them like crazy.

The one with the girlfriend and guy battling it out is genius, if anyone ever got past the first 20 seconds.

Lady Eri on
    You guys should really enjoy the next video then. It's kind of a return to the original humor, although I still plan on continuing the Deus Ex stuff. We're trying to have longer term projects that we're working on (Deus Ex, inFamous) while also doing the normal shorts.

Also, thanks so much for reposting our stuff Eri!

So, this is good news. I found a way to fix the bad footage I had left for Automata and fix some bad acting via clever editing. I'm going to be trying to release the Automata short film under SIEGE TV in about a month, if all goes well.

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    "if all goes well"
    That line causes some 5 spaceship crashes, 2 moneytransport crashes and 45 mercenary deaths per year... Been nice knowing you.
    can't wait to see you appear on the blog section of penny-arcade... If all goes well

Sorry for no updates in...forever. You see, I made this vfx demo reel to start applying to some jobs with:

And as it turns out, a small production company in Atlanta offered me an interview for a full time position based on it (they just FOUND it; I never applied to them). And now I have the job, so, I've been busy trying to get everything in order to move to Atlanta in January and just haven't had time for anything else. I'll be working on some more videos when I get settled in with the new job though. And now I'll have some extra money to use on the videos. :)

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I hadn't ever seen that Automata bit before... It looked FANTASTIC. I don't really have crits as your vfx skills are incredible and you'll go very far in that field. Congratulations on the new job and hurry up and make some money so we can see Siege TV on Spike or G4 or Comedy Central or FX or something!

are YOU on the beer list?
    Oh yeah! That was like an Easter Egg I threw in there for anyone that knew what it was since I hadn't actually released any finished footage of the Automata short film I was working on.

Glad you liked it. :)

I was just wondering today what happened to you guys.