As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Orcs must Die!] Are you killing orcs? You should be killing orcs.

TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
edited August 2012 in Games and Technology
Alright so I did a quick search and saw no threads about this and thought this should be discussed because it looks amazing. Check out the trailer!

Orcs Must Die! challenges players to defend fortresses under siege. With a wide variety of traps and weapons to choose from, Orcs Must Die! dares players to find the best ways to hack, launch, flatten, gibletize, and incinerate an endless army of filthy orcs and their vile allies. Orcs Must Die! features a vibrant look, addictive gameplay, and a blatant disregard for the welfare of orcs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYQK7dlHZPE&feature=player_embedded

I just saw the trailer maybe 20 minutes ago and I am already sold.

More info on their website:
http://www.robotentertainment.com/games/orcsmustdie

Discuss!

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
TheKoolEagle on

• DracoGriffinDracoGriffin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Awesome. Just like the Kagero/Deception series; but the ability to actually attack. Looks awesome.

DracoGriffin on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This seems like it would work better as a tower defense game from an isometric viewpoint.

Lucascraft on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    This seems like it would work better as a tower defense game from an isometric viewpoint.

I think the gimmick is that it's a first person tower defence.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    my only hopes/dreams is that this is multiplayer, I am going to assume it isn't but, oh man if it is. so many hours will be lost to genociding orcs

TheKoolEagle on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »

I think the gimmick is that it's a first person tower defence.

Monday Night Combat and Sacrifice FTW.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's Tecmo's Deception.

But, you know, not hideous.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    my only hopes/dreams is that this is multiplayer, I am going to assume it isn't but, oh man if it is. so many hours will be lost to genociding orcs

Please, please have coop. This looks like so much fun.

Vi Monks on
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    RPS has an post about this game. It does seem interesting.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
    edited February 2011

Good article, although after reading all dreams of coop have been shattered, still the game itself looks awesome

TheKoolEagle on
    edited February 2011
    Cantido on
    edited February 2011
    Looks like Robot entertainment will have a playable demo available at Pax East, I demand someone who is going to play it and tell me how awesome it is.

TheKoolEagle on
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Good article, although after reading all dreams of coop have been shattered, still the game itself looks awesome

This game would have been awesome with co-op. It would have made the game far more interesting. You could even have different types of defense classes working together.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • SchwhatSchwhat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

How does this compare to Dungeon Defenders (I take it DD is still coming out on Steam sometime in spring)?

I mean besides the slightly more realistic graphics (DD looked more cartoony) and this not having any co-op? Which DD has 4 ppl co-op which anyone can hop in and out any time during the game.

Schwhat on
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That trailer looks exactly like what I want.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    edited March 2011
    I wonder how complex it will let you set up traps, or how they will be linked

I also need to know how many different traps will be available, apparently there is going to be 8 different enemy types, which doesn't seem like a whole lot but I guess if they do it like a tower defense game they can just keep buffing each unit type

TheKoolEagle on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Replace the Orcs with secret agents and my wizard with Dr. No, and you would have the evil genius sequel I dream of.

RoyceSraphim on
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Cantido wrote: »

love Three Inches of Blood, two old friends of mine use to be in it. (Bass player and Drummer in that video)

ANyways this game looks like it would be alot of fun, loved me some Tecmo Deception

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Six OkaySix Okay Community Manager - Robot Entertainment DFWRegistered User regular
    I wonder how complex it will let you set up traps, or how they will be linked

I also need to know how many different traps will be available, apparently there is going to be 8 different enemy types, which doesn't seem like a whole lot but I guess if they do it like a tower defense game they can just keep buffing each unit type

There are actually more than 8 enemy types. As for complexity, what are you looking for specifically? We have a combo system in the game that allows (and encourages) you to link up multiple types of traps to earn more points and currency. Anything 3 and up we'll give you extra credit for. We've seen some combos up as high as 8 or 9 on enemies with high hit points.

So it goes like this. If you put down a tar trap in front of a spring trap, and the flip trap throws guys into the air to get chopped up by wall blades, then that's a 3 combo. Lay down a wall of fire on the flip trap to set them on fire before they get airborne, and you've got a 4 combo on your hands.

Does that answer your question about complexity?

edited August 2011
    nice, I was just mentioning to one of my friends today that I can't wait to give your game a go, are you planning on being at pax at all?

edit: I should look at your website more, the answer is yes, and I will be stopping by to check this out

TheKoolEagle on
  • Six OkaySix Okay Community Manager - Robot Entertainment DFWRegistered User regular
    We'll be at PAX alright... and we'll be giving out free Cardboard Tube Samurai costumes for the War Mage in our booth:

PAX_CardboardSamurai.jpg

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Game looks like great zany fun and flinging orcs into walls with traps is perfect.

I kind of wish though this was a dungeon and flinging heroes into pits of lava. There is something about flinging adventurers into traps that just feels far more appropriate.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    I have to say that this game looks pretty damn promising. I've been looking for a game that could scratch that Deception itch I have, and it also looks like there won't be a single instance of shitty translation or incest so that gets a big thumbs up from me.

no incest? thats a dealbreaker.

• SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    Damn straight it is!

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Interesting stuff. Was looking forward to Dungeon Defenders, but MS killed the pc version so...this looks cool.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    I swung by the orcs must die booth and played a game, it was good fun smashing orcs and setting up traps, the only real issue I had was controls, they were a bit weird for choosing and placing traps, but it may have just been something to get used to because of the way the system works

We spent a lot of time and many iterations on the console controls. They may seem a tad odd at first (when compared to something like your standard shooter), but I definitely think that by one or two levels in, you'll be really comfortable with them. The final configuration felt a little odd to me at first, as well, but now I find it really fluid.

edited August 2011
    were you at the booth at all? I didn't really get to chat any of the devs up, I also forgot to snag the cardboard tube samurai skin :(

game looks like a lot of fun though, how many levels are there in total? are you guys planning on releasing map packs or anything like that?

edit: also my fiancee thought the victory dance was hilarious, which I would have to agree

TheKoolEagle on
    Yep, I was in the booth, and thanks for the compliments on the game. We really like the touch of the victory dance at the end of each level. It's actually 5 different dances. The War Mage dances with varying levels of enthusiasm depending on how well you perform in the level.

As for the levels, there are 24 levels in the game. The campaign should take about 7-8 hours on your first play through. Maybe a bit less if you're a really hardcore guy, but that's why we unlock the Nightmare campaign which is a lot more intense.

As for map packs, we're looking at our options, but don't have anything to announce at this time.

• Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    So this is supposed to hit XBLA on October 5th and Steam a week after.

I am excitement.

• WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    yeah, this is a title thats on my buy list for the year. looks like fun and hopefully if they sell enough they'll make a co-op version too

edit: just saw that PA skin. wish I had gone to PAX

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    october 12th for pc, can't wait.

i'm still upset at myself for not grabbing the pa skin while i was at pax :(

• wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    I had a blast when I played this at PAX East. Beat all the levels and got the shirt. Been waiting for it ever since. It's like a fast paced Tecmo's Deception that controls well and is also a third person shooter/action game. So excited!

• WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    its on steam now, though it doesn't have a pre-order option or price yet. I hope I get a TF2 hat or two out of it

tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    no incest? thats a dealbreaker.

Orcs reproduce via spores, ya grot!

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    It's Tecmo's Deception.

But, you know, not hideous.

Them's fighting words. I love Deception.
    (Uh, a lot.)

The first game is pretty bad, but it has its charms.

wVEsyIc.png
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Demo is out on Steam.

Seems solid. Hopefully it opens up a bit more in the challenge and variety department since the game has only 20 levels (presuming from the ad at the end of the demo saying 20 fortresses) and the demo contains three relatively short ones.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Is there any word on planned multiplayer? Sanctum was pretty fun, but it lacked a certain something that it looks like this has.

I believe the game is single player only, but who knows they might be able to pull a sanctum and make it multiplayer.

I preordered this through steam, can't wait to play it!

• PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    Planning to buy this, was excited ever since it was announced, but I always thought it had co-op. I am saddened.

Two goats enter, one car leaves