As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Deader than the Tomb Kings.

• Gene ParmesanGene Parmesan Registered User regular
    Also It's been around a little bit and quite healthy. No Age of Conan or Warhammer with decent starter month subscribers then total dropoff

• JacksWastedLifeJacksWastedLife Registered User regular
    Been playing Rift lately and it's like Warhammer except better PvE and public quests. And combat. And pvp. And just about everything. Props to Warhammer for being so cool in its time but if anyones jonesing for what Warhammer does, try rift.

Chloromancer is pretty close to the awesome that my Shaman was. However, I still can't be an awesome goblin in Rift.

• ForumiteForumite Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Yeah Rift pretty much does what Warhammer does but better. Warhammer has a much much better style to it but that's kind of it

33tp6w6.gif
  • ForumiteForumite Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2011
    Honestly I could personally look past most of WAR's flaws... but the fact that the endgame (which was supposed to be this awesome thing where you got to lay siege to huge fortresses and eventually the capital city) was so completely god awful it really killed the game for me.

It was a really ugly game too. I don't think I liked any of the environments in it, which is a shame because a Warhammer game should really have some proper epic settings

Forumite on
    33tp6w6.gif
  • bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Does WAR have a presence at SDCC? If so are they doing/giving anything away? I'm curious what's going on there as I didn't order tickets a year in advance this year.; :(

akirasig.jpg
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    So...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVZgJi3gP64

Wonder if this will have any integration with the main game at all.

steam_sig.png
  • chrpnkchrpnk Registered User regular
    Well...I guess that's one way to go.

• ShiningfuryShiningfury Registered User regular
    I guess a company needs to try to remain profitable by exploring new approaches, but this looks to me like an admission that they can't hack it as an MMO so their only recourse is to devolve into full FPS mode. Ah Warhammer; so much potential yet so little competent management.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Guess they've gotta do something with all those art assets.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    When they said they were announcing something big about the future of this game, this wasn't quite what I was expecting.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    -SPI- wrote:
    When they said they were announcing something big about the future of this game, this wasn't quite what I was expecting.

It sure is... something.

And something is my favorite.

I can go either way on this. On one hand, lolwhat. On the other, if I can get the PvP experience without getting violated by people who are +40 RR from me and I can't actually do any damage to, I'm okay with that.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    It doesn't appear to have any of the actual gameplay from WAR though, if you look at the parts where it shows the hero select screen they each have 5 skills. Looks like it's a bizarre bastard child of MOBAs and a third person action game rather than anything resembling the MMO, just using the models.

• Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    I guess a company needs to try to remain profitable by exploring new approaches, but this looks to me like an admission that they can't hack it as an MMO so their only recourse is to devolve into full FPS mode.
    If this game doesn't integrate at some level with the parent game, then yeah.

steam_sig.png
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    Thats a bizarre decision. Why didn't they just make WAR free to play? Why bother with this...weird 3rd person arena game. It doesn't really even look very good imo.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2011
    Details:

1. It's a separate game, and they even got additional people to work on it rather than take away from WAR's skeleton crew. Subbing to WAR will offer some perks in WoH, but they're two distinct games.

2. No realms. Three sides composed of any mix of heroes.

3. Lots of new playable classes: trolls, Vampire Counts and so forth.

4. Gameplay will be different. All spells are instant cast.

5. Tactics still exist, and you do level up. But no gear for stats or such. It seems like unlockables will be alternate styles than strict buffs.

6. As many will guess, it looks like alternate armor and heroes will be the moneymaker.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    I miss Warhammer, really loved it when it came out, but it dawned on me how awful the PvE, itemization, and dungeons were and I completely lost interest in the level 30-36 range. It was a barren wasteland of hard encounter for gear that absolutely didn't matter.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    F2P MOBA built on the WAR engine. Hmm. Someone is jealous of LoL.

What is this I don't even.
    Be that as it may, it's a pretty smart move. It's a different take on the MOBA format. MOBA has proven itself a viable F2P platform, and I highly doubt WAR going F2P would garner any sort of interest.

YL9WnCY.png
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    No, it's okay, you can say it.

This looks like poop. From a butt.

And as for me, if War went F2P with things like renown buffs so you could actually get RR80+ in a decent amount of time, I would never stop playing it.

The Royal gear sets are some of the best armor sets ever designed for anything ever.

Beta invites go out within two weeks.

And no, I'd rather not grind gear just to be capable in RvR. Fuck that with rusty forks. This has potential, even if it looks a bit dated.

YL9WnCY.png
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    That video made me honest to god cry.

And not happy tears.

• ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    So is it safe to say this game is dead now?

I mean, if they're actually not bothering to develop the actual game anymore (It's been over a year since they received an actual content update that wasn't a glorified micro transaction scheme/power leveling scheme, hasn't it?), and they're working on a game that has nothing to do with the game itself, it seems likely.

Shame, if it is. I bought the CE for this way back, since if it had half the shit they claimed would be in at release, it would have been one of the big MMO's. Hopefully Paul Barnett never gets a job in the industry again, and stays where he is now, pitching overblown (And untrue.) promises to silent and uncomfortable crowds somewhere in Korea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71r5HiLa8bA

"All the stuff that is broken for the Americans? WE FIXED IT! (No we didn't.)"

They weren't laughing with him there, I think.

Archonex on
    It's a dynamite way to get new content into WAR. There's a Vampire in WOH, and trolls are another race that's getting added at some point. This could lead to the foundations of a third faction in WAR proper.

I admit the three-way scenarios scream "We don't understand what the complaint was." The proper was never in scenarios where things were balanced. It was the Realm War where a larger faction could easily suffocate the smaller faction by beating it until players were demoralized to the point of quitting. With three realms, this is less likely to occur. In a game where the population is fixed, there's not need for a three-way fight.

I'm getting more excited about this. I've been dreaming up a game that has MMORPG-style PvP without, well, the shitty MMORPG aspect. If they treat this seriously, I could see resubbing to WAR itself if the WOH perks were worth it.

YL9WnCY.png
    No, Arch, they actually added a few more scenarios and events. Including a weird subgame where you can control skaven. Which pissed off a ton of people since it seemed like they were adding a skaven faction but opted for weird monster play bullshit. But they have added SOME content.

The resistance towards F2P is weird, but maybe they're not doing as bad as people think.

YL9WnCY.png
    edited August 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    No, Arch, they actually added a few more scenarios and events. Including a weird subgame where you can control skaven. Which pissed off a ton of people since it seemed like they were adding a skaven faction but opted for weird monster play bullshit. But they have added SOME content.

The resistance towards F2P is weird, but maybe they're not doing as bad as people think.

I don't know why they just don't put in a third faction, instead of dicking around with an action game noone will play (Unless it's linked to WHO, and even then, I can't imagine many would.) a few years down the line.

Hell, they could have avoided the disastrous decline of subscriptions, if they had actually remembered to put in the Dogs of War system they hyped up (And then quietly hushed up not long after.) early in development. The way it worked, the faction with less people on the field had (more) NPC units helping them, like a company of Chaos Warriors, or a giant troll. What we got instead was an empty PVP lake that only players inhabited.

The entire concept that it wasn't just PC's fighting on the field to take points was incredibly interesting, and it's a shame they opted to go for the "you are the only people fighting this war" approach to the PVP aspects of the game.

Heroes aren't heroes (Which all the classes are supposed to be. You're the guy beating the giant demon over the head with a hammer. Not the peasant with a pike and some crap armor getting gobbled up.) if there's only heroes on the field. It would have helped balance the game out, and made for a more believable setting.

The whole two faction system is ultimately what killed the game, after the initial release troubles. Once one faction gets the edge in population, it's just a steady decline from there without some sort of miraculous turnabout, like an organized guild switching sides, or falling apart on the dominant side. The DoW system actually would have stopped that, I imagine.

Also, I can't imagine why they wouldn't go F2P. From what I understand, they've shut down all the specialty servers, like the RP ones, and open PVP. Boosting the pop could actually work toward's bringing them back, and satisfying decent amount of players.

Archonex on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    So it's a WAR version of Bloodline Champions? That's one hell of a niche market.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    It's a well-known fact that EA thought they had a WoW on their hands and wanted the money ASAP, so they rushed it out the door. I'm guessing that's one reason why Dogs of War got dropped.

After release, pushing a third faction is pretty much an expansion-grade addition. It would demand money they really didn't have after everything went to shit. I mean, there's a lot more they could have done, but adding a third faction likely wasn't feasible.

People are getting a MOBA vibe from this, and that isn't right. It's scenarios with simplified, more action-based gameplay. There's no creeps, towers, items to buy or in-game leveling. The only thing in common with MOBAs is the financial end of things: you buy heroes, skins and other bits.

YL9WnCY.png
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    I'm not getting a MOBA vibe. A MOBA has a hell of a lot more features than this for one.

Yeah, I'm not understanding it either, but LoL comparisons are being kicked around on other sites. Weird.

YL9WnCY.png
    I think it's mainly down to the named champions with 5 abilities, it seems instantly comparable to mobas even if the actual game part doesn't resemble those games at all.

Personally I think there's still a good F2P MMO they could build with the existing WAR, but it would require some pretty brutal trimming and more effort and resources than EA would even be willing to expend on the game. Also they'd probably be right not to do it, the game's reputation is shot. Then again, conan going free to play brought in a load of players so who knows.

I dunno, it's a really weird situation. They got additional people and resources to work on WOH, so I guess they could have done the same for WAR? Maybe they just wanted to treat this as a newer game so the stench of WAR's failure isn't as strong.

YL9WnCY.png
    They did say that the end of August there would be an announcement about the future of WAR. So I wonder what else is in store, or if this is what they meant and just had the dates off.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    I dunno, it's a really weird situation. They got additional people and resources to work on WOH, so I guess they could have done the same for WAR? Maybe they just wanted to treat this as a newer game so the stench of WAR's failure isn't as strong.

It's using the EXACT same models, I'm not sure how you can scrub the stench off of that.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    edited August 2011
    Arthil wrote:
    Rorus Raz wrote:

It's using the EXACT same models, I'm not sure how you can scrub the stench off of that.

This is what gets me. I could buy that it was a separate project (and thus justifiable, given the state that WHO is in.) if the actual visual representation was different. But when they're literally using the exact same models for each player? Bull. Shit.

That's work and money that could go to making WHO a playable game. Hell, add in a F2P option (The endless trial doesn't really count.), add in the old DoW system, populate the lakes with warring NPC's that can take objectives, and they'd be good to go for a solid game that has decent subscription numbers.

Hell, they'd have one up on WoW and ninety nine percent of all other MMO's out there, since you'd actually be fighting in a battlefield, not on some barren place where only players exist.

Warhammer isn't full of war if it's just you and some dick several thousand miles away hacking at each other. That's just a boring skirmish.

Warhammer is armies beating the living hell out of each other. Demons erupting out of geysers of molten blood, making scenes out of the two armies that would look appropriate on the cover of death metal albums. Badass war preachers smiting the shit out of hordes of slavering madmen while chanting about how fucking awesome Sigmar is. That sort of thing. None of that is really present in WHO at the moment, given how empty and player-centric the PVP lakes are.

Archonex on
    I'm going to assume the devs had no say in this. The powers-that-be did not see much potential with WAR going F2P. They did see that a lot of RPG-esque games like LoL and HoN doing quite well, and told Mythic what would be WAR's path in the future.

YL9WnCY.png
    Sad part is that they could do something really rad with that basic concept. Mordheim online, same idea but with persistent gang levelling, some kind of territory control metagame, all kinds of things while still reusing the assets from WAR. This just seems very slapped together.

• AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I think the lack of leveling will be a boon to the concept, as progression really ruined things for the regular game.

But the combat wasn't that great to warrant a solely arena based game.

Territory control with "raid" size scenarios hourly would be an awesome idea though. Something Global Agenda like maybe.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    I am all for this game! I loved the PvP in WHO when it wasn't imbalanced as fuck due to RR/Gear, and I had a blast with battlefield heroes, and this looks to bee a love child of the two. As long as it's not point and click like bloodline champs I'm in.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Mugaaz wrote:
    I miss Warhammer, really loved it when it came out, but it dawned on me how awful the PvE, itemization, and dungeons were and I completely lost interest in the level 30-36 range. It was a barren wasteland of hard encounter for gear that absolutely didn't matter.

I watched the video a few times and I really don't know what to make of it

It helped me to remember how pvp was good but the pve part of the game was confusing and not fun. I did not do a dungeon so I have no idea what they were like or what they did

Part of me wants to play warhammer but then I remember my Shadow warrior was lost in the Dark Elf lands and the GM's refused to help me about it I really had no idea what I was doing on my Magus and My black guard I just found tanking really boring and very unrewarding

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Man, my Shadow Warrior was such a bait and switch. At the top end of Tier 1, they were all about battlefield control with their roots and such, and then everyone got various immunities at higher levels and it was me who was constantly being rooted/snared/whatever. It got more and more depressing as I gained levels.