As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

El Shaddai: Gettin Biblical on your ass

• Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    Xaviar wrote:
    I didn't notice them as much. It isn't the banners that bother me. It's that several sites have top and side banners, that margin/background image thing that people are doing more often now (which annoys the shit out of me, as I click there to take the focus out of whatever flash thing I might have interacted with), inline ads in the articles, expand-o ads on top of the article that have to be closed, and those "skip this ad to view your article" ads. All for this game.

That's what kills me.

Ah, I haven't noticed any (NoScript must be blocking them) but that honestly does sound annoying :\

On top of that, the side and top banner adds both play movies in them. It's like The Escapist is El Shaddai's MySpace page circa 2003.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote:
    The crazy artwork is catching my interest. I may go ahead and get it.

Lens of Truth has a screen shot comparison. 360 looks better. More defined.

http://www.lensoftruth.com/head2head-el-shaddai-ascension-of-the-metatron-demo-screenshot-comparison/

Seems like the main difference is contrast, that's why we see a bit more detail in the 360 shots. Obviously both consoles won't output picture the same way by default but surely by tweaking the TV's settings you can achieve a similar level of contrast on PS3?

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • MattakuevanMattakuevan Registered User regular
    Fireflash wrote:
    Krathoon wrote:
    The crazy artwork is catching my interest. I may go ahead and get it.

Lens of Truth has a screen shot comparison. 360 looks better. More defined.

http://www.lensoftruth.com/head2head-el-shaddai-ascension-of-the-metatron-demo-screenshot-comparison/

Seems like the main difference is contrast, that's why we see a bit more detail in the 360 shots. Obviously both consoles won't output picture the same way by default but surely by tweaking the TV's settings you can achieve a similar level of contrast on PS3?

Honestly, it doesn't really matter how it looks to me imo. I'll be getting the ps3 version because the framerate tests I've seen put it at a very stable 40-60fps with an average of 50. The 360 version seems to dip below 30 a lot and it only hits 60 every once in a while.

Framerate matters so much more for these games(bayonetta, dmc)

But yes, I do think the 360 version looks slightly better. Most likely as a result of the contrast like you said.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Well, lookie what we have here Mr. Doubting Thomas'

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-01-el-shaddai-ascension-of-the-metatron-review

Eurogamer doesn't hand out 9/10s away like candy.

Now, I'm not expecting you all to run out and pick up a copy, but it seems the concept paid off for those willing to give it a chance.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    Seems to be getting quite a few 8s and 9s from various places, let me just see what IGN gave it.... oh, a 5. Their review uses one of my favorite excuses in games journalism where the reviewer admits that combat has other options, but because the game never forced him to use them, he didn't and thus concluded that the game must be a boring button masher.

You'd think if you were being paid to review a game, you wouldn't intentionally ignore content out of spite.

• AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    I dunno, if the game uses a truckload of weapons but you can shoot your way through the whole game easily with a handgun, is that not a valid complaint? (and one I've seen on these boards a lot)

Alone it's not worth knocking off 5 points mind you, but that's a very valid complaint, bad balancing.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    You'd think if you were being paid to review a game, you wouldn't intentionally ignore content out of spite.

Yeah but IGN.

• AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    IGN is low, Gamespot is high. These are universal truths when it comes to reviews.

• JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Hey kids

I played this a week and a half ago

ask me questions

Jintor on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Astale wrote:
    IGN is low, Gamespot is high. These are universal truths when it comes to reviews.

The Universal Truth is they're both crap.

SO do we have any place actually doing framerate comparisons?

Astale wrote:
    I dunno, if the game uses a truckload of weapons but you can shoot your way through the whole game easily with a handgun, is that not a valid complaint? (and one I've seen on these boards a lot)

Alone it's not worth knocking off 5 points mind you, but that's a very valid complaint, bad balancing.

Not really, no. If a game has various options for its combat, and you intentionally choose not to utilize them, then that's not the game being boring, that's you being boring.

it's entirely plausible to PKP your way through bayonetta, but if you do you're the most boring boringest boring of boring borington

HOWEVER

El Shaddai's combat is nothing to write home about

edited August 2011
    True, but a 5 is just assinine.

Gametrailer review:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-el-shaddai/719040

manwiththemachinegun on
    looks like it's out in the states

I'll be picking up a copy this weekend if anyone wants more impressions.

I honestly think whether you like El Shaddai or not boils down to how much you value visuals over gameplay. Gameplay is solid but not excellent, visuals are excellent but occasionally annoying, and the story is batshit insane, and not necessarily in a good way.

• GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    Need I remind everyone that IGN gave God Hand a 2 and Imagine: Party Babyz something like an 8? Basically their reviews work on some kind of strange opposite scale, where the only accurate scores seem to be 9-10, and once you hit 5 it actually means 7 and it gets all kinds of fucked up from there.

Anyway I'll still get this, but I'm waiting for a price drop. I know it'll drop fast and I can wait.

• PrincepeachPrincepeach Registered User regular
    So I already beat this game. I don't know if anyone else has, but if so, can they tell me if there's an alternate ending? Because that ending was...less than satisfactory.

I heard there was something about getting all the collectables, but that could just be a rumor.

• mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    Game bought. Playing now. So far enjoying it.

"You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    Wow, not much buzz, huh? I'm gonna pick this up on the weekend. I've been hearing tales of this being pretty scarce in stores.

Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
    Kuratosu wrote:
    Wow, not much buzz, huh? I'm gonna pick this up on the weekend. I've been hearing tales of this being pretty scarce in stores.

So scarce. There was literally 1 copy ordered for the Gamestop I picked it up at. I bought the only one.

• MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    This was on my radar, then it wasn't, and now it is again. Decent reviews and a few glowing ones, and when every trailer I watch for a game has me wanting to STOP watching because I feel like I'm spoiling all of the awesome surprises, that makes me feel like I should be playing it. I want to support something so outrageous, and I'm honestly okay with trying a game that has better visuals than it has gameplay. I think it'd be a treat.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
    GMaster7 wrote:
    This was on my radar, then it wasn't, and now it is again. Decent reviews and a few glowing ones, and when every trailer I watch for a game has me wanting to STOP watching because I feel like I'm spoiling all of the awesome surprises, that makes me feel like I should be playing it. I want to support something so outrageous, and I'm honestly okay with trying a game that has better visuals than it has gameplay. I think it'd be a treat.

It honestly is. I'm highly enjoying this game. The visuals are drool worthy.

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    The game is really cool to look at. Combat's solid enough. The game's story is both strange and not very straight forward, or it's just really random and makes no sense. I'm not sure honestly.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    On a strange side note, the title reads either 'God of my demons', 'God of my breasts' or 'to my breasts' in hebrew.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    Is anybody having trouble taking the game seriously after all the videos NicoNico made and from the few posted in this thread? If so then my mission was a success.

I'm picking it up tommorow so I'll let ya know. They remind me a lot of Metal Gear's secret theater stuff. :P

Gilder wrote:
    Is anybody having trouble taking the game seriously after all the videos NicoNico made and from the few posted in this thread? If so then my mission was a success.

I did during the demo because my friend and I just kept looking at each other and going "Enoch. Enoch. Enoch. Enoch. Enoch." and just making random statements from the videos.

But honestly during the full game not at all. It completely left my mind after playing through all these crazy levels and seeing these insane visuals. I'm about halfway through I believe. On Chapter 7. Still loving it. Am going to go through again. I know it already. The only problem I have so far is just...getting better at the combat. It's hard. There are times I'm destroying and times I just fuck right up. And those times you get destroyed fast too. But they give you a nifty little thing you don't get in the demo so it helps. And makes things cool. For like....12 seconds or so that it lasts.

ARGH.

The Darkness level in Chapter 10. I've been trying to get the Bone of Ishtar from there for the past hour. Has anyone gotten this one? I can't find any guide online for it either.

Other than that. I've loved this game. The Gale is my favorite weapon. I love its Guard Break attack. Just a long range straight line of death that cuts right through multiple enemies.

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    It's guard break is the missile from heaven I thought... (they go up and then rain down). Is there only one ishtar bone per darkness per chapter?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I showed my wife the IGN video review and she did not want to play El Shaddai in the slightest.

Then I showed her the GameTrailers review and she really wanted to play El Shaddai and pointed out several things mentioned in the GT review that was flat out missing from the IGN review.

Tcheldor wrote:
    It's guard break is the missile from heaven I thought... (they go up and then rain down). Is there only one ishtar bone per darkness per chapter?

If you charge that attack for a second before using it, instead of going straight up and landing on the target, they hop away from Enoch in a straight line causing a line of explosions on the ground in the direction he's facing that will guard break everything in front of him.

And yeah, 1 Bone per Darkness level and Chapter 10s has been driving me crazy. Despite the fact that you see where it is before the level starts as the camera pans, this one has got so many platforms that even seeing where it is doesn't help, there's just too many platforms to get any sort of feel for where you have to go.

I almost got it once, but I missed the jump and landed in the darkness. I haven't been able to find that platform a second time.

• MihashiMihashi Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I've got directions to get to the Chapter 10 Ishtar Bone from the Japanese Wikia if you still need them.
    Note: A successful jump here means you reached the nearest platform in that direction.

Ex. If the directions say to jump once to the upper right, it means jump to the nearest platform in the upper right direction.

Also, be sure to jump to the nearest platform in the direction specified, no matter how minuscule the height gain might be or how near the platform is.

1. Jump 5 times to the upper right.
    2. Jump 1 time to the upper left.
    3. Jump 2 times to the upper right.
    4. Jump 2 times to the upper left.
    5. Jump 1 time to the upper right.
    6. Jump 1 time to the upper left.
    7. Jump 9 times to the upper right.
    8. Jump 3 times to the upper left.

Mihashi on
    MihashiBonne.png
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Downloaded and played the demo tonight. I enjoyed it - I could see how the combat might become very repetitive, but hot damn, I want to see more of the slick visuals that I've seen in screenshots and video reviews. The combat wasn't too bad... I don't mind it when games tell you, "You could play through this entire thing by using the same technique/weapon over and over, but it's your responsibility to vary your playstyle and keep it interesting." Those of you playing the game: I've seen some wild screenshots - how insane do the visuals get? They're really the singular reason that I want to play this game. Is there a lot that hasn't been revealed in video reviews and such?

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
    Screw those darkness levels. Screw them up the butthole.

• MihashiMihashi Registered User regular
    Phew! Got the Conqueror trophy. Chapter 10 was a real pain to G rank, especially getting to the final Lucifel save point.
    First, you have to fight the optional normal enemy fight because in order to get the perfect secret score you need to not only fight them, you also need to steal their weapons every time.

Second, all the enemies that appear will always wield the weakness weapon of your current weapon which means they hit like monster trucks.

Ex. If you got Gale, the enemies will be wielding Veils.

Third, if you get passed all that, you still need to watch out when you're jumping to the Lucifel save point since one drop = secret score is dead and you'll need to start over from the last save checkpoint and the game doesn't auto save after the final fight so yeah, you get to fight them again if you mess up on the platforming.

MihashiBonne.png
    Huh. Didn't see Chapter 8 coming. Pretty weird. More and more this game manages to dazzle. Can't wait to finally have my time off after today and really dig right in to it for hours!

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Astale wrote:

Not really, no. If a game has various options for its combat, and you intentionally choose not to utilize them, then that's not the game being boring, that's you being boring.

No, that's the game being boring. Use whatever works in combat. If you have deeper combos and moves, force me to use them. Otherwise your game is boring, and using any moves other than the one that "works" is masturbation.

Also Eurogamer most certainly is handing out 9/10s like candy nowadays. They are no longer the harsh mistress they once were.