As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Deader than the Tomb Kings.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    It's definitely a MOBA. It's not a DOTA style MOBA, but it's still a MOBA. So long as you consider Bloodline Champions to have been a MOBA, since that had no creeps or towers or anything.

What is this I don't even.
  • AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    Nerf BW's ult.

Boost Shamans Q.

ECOED.jpg
  • Mnemon-CorbantisMnemon-Corbantis Registered User regular
    Ultimately, Warhammer disappointed me more than women do.

Did they ever get the game to the point where you could have the epic battles they promised? I know when I stopped playing around the time of that desert expansion, you still couldn't get mass armies in a realm or everything would lag to hell.

You think making sure folks could actually fight in a huge epic battle would be a priority for a game that was promising huge, epic battles.

logo.png
    Empire - Veela Server
  • AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    After the removal of Fort battles, the revamp of the city siege system, and the second keep ramp, you could get some excellent battles raging with no stutters. Sadly only two servers could ever hit the population required at that point.

The next peak was the first couple days of the revamped zone capture system and skaven and it was amazing. Some of the best fun I'd had since the height of running around with the Candymancers. The system really forced everyone to float around the battlefield more, and no one really knew the details of how it worked, so things were chaotic. But populations plummeted again less than a month later and are probably worse these days.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • pentium166pentium166 Registered User regular
    Hopefully Wrath of Heroes works out. I've been wondering why nobody released a game focusing on MMO-style combat without the gear grind. I'm suffering from PVP withdrawal after mostly quitting Warcraft's following Cataclysm (and subsequently tiring of raiding and quitting the game altogether this month, after being subscribed for six and a half years). I like WoW's combat system but at this point I'm pretty far behind in gear and can't bring myself to go get rolled over in battlegrounds and arenas while I catch up.

I also activated a two month time card for WAR this weekend to screw around with for a bit (I bought the game at launch and barely played the free month, then bought the timecard the next year and forgot about it until now). I have no idea what to do and it's kind of depressing to see five servers on the login screen.

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    pentium166 wrote:
    Hopefully Wrath of Heroes works out. I've been wondering why nobody released a game focusing on MMO-style combat without the gear grind. I'm suffering from PVP withdrawal after mostly quitting Warcraft's following Cataclysm (and subsequently tiring of raiding and quitting the game altogether this month, after being subscribed for six and a half years). I like WoW's combat system but at this point I'm pretty far behind in gear and can't bring myself to go get rolled over in battlegrounds and arenas while I catch up.

I also activated a two month time card for WAR this weekend to screw around with for a bit (I bought the game at launch and barely played the free month, then bought the timecard the next year and forgot about it until now). I have no idea what to do and it's kind of depressing to see five servers on the login screen.

I would totally recommend checking out League of Legends, Heroes of Newerth, and Bloodline Champions. They are all PvP with no grind for gear and free to check out. (You do need to grind to unlock characters or pay to get cosmetic stuff etc, but the outcome of matches is entirely skill / teamwork based.)

I'm kinda hoping to check out this new game mode thing, since I'm a whore for all things Warhammer IP related.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    LoL and HoN have a lot of RTS elements, however, so I would hesitate to call it a substitute for WAR's PvP. Never played Bloodline.

YL9WnCY.png
  • pentium166pentium166 Registered User regular
    Bloodline is kind of like WoW arena with a DotA/MOBA/whatever-style control and viewpoint. It was okay, but I prefer the way WoW/WAR/etc control and play. People also seemed a bit too hardcore in DotA and company for me.

• bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Pardon the ignorance, but what the hell is moba?

akirasig.jpg
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular

Multiplayer Online Battle Arena, a term that people think is commonplace but really isn't.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular

As coined by League of Legend creators Riot Games, a MOBA is a Multiplayer Online Battle Arena game. These are primarily DOTA clones (Defense of the Ancients, a custom map for WarCraft 3) but the acronym casts a wide enough net that third person arena games that don't feature DOTA-like play (creeps, base defense, leveling, etc) are sometimes also caught under it's banner. Example: Bloodline Champions.

The main MOBAs these days are League of Legends, Heroes of Newerth, the aging Defense of the Ancients, and Valve's upcoming DOTA 2.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    I apparently need to refresh the page more often.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I really hope it's not RTS style camera, and is instead behind the back third person action game style.

edit: re watched the vid and it's definitely third person over the shoulder style. I'm hoping there are more than 5 abilities per "class" though and you just have to choose which 5 you can use at once.

ghost_master2000 on
  • bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    MOBA doesn't apply to DOTA for me at all. MOBA just sounds like scenarios and battlegrounds. DOTA is a whole 'nother thing. =/

akirasig.jpg
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    No, no it isn't. DOTA was the first MOBA.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/pax-2011-armory-felicia/719897

New trailer featuring a specific hero. Gives you an idea of the UI and such.

YL9WnCY.png
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote:
    No, no it isn't. DOTA was the first MOBA.

not even close

I know it can be changed at the whim of a bunch of childish idiots who run it, but wikipedia says I'm right.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote:
    I know it can be changed at the whim of a bunch of childish idiots who run it, but wikipedia says I'm right.

aeon of strife was what eul based DoTA on, which was a starcraft map

Hm... still, MOBA's as we known them must have begun with DOTA.

• NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote:
    Hm... still, MOBA's as we known them must have begun with DOTA.
    It was the first really popular one certainly.

• SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Bah double post

SammyF on
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Partially inspired by ork slaying in the demo for Space Marine, I have just reinstalled the WAR client and created a trial account. Patching it now. Kind of expecting to be disappointed by it still, but also hoping that I can find someone to play with on Empire. Anyone playing regularly on weeknights?

You know, a DotA-style game with the Warhammer license would be pretty badass.

I think Dogs of War would be an easy explanation as to why different races are fighting together, and you could have tons of characters.

YL9WnCY.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Warhammer Quest or Dogs of war would work but then the first is more of a name for a RPG

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I got a Wrath of Heroes beta invite this morning. That's cool, guys, invite me to play your game when I'm on my way to work.

Anybody else get in or even bother trying?

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    You bastard! I applied within a day or two of hte announcement, and haven't received anything yet.

Let us know how it is once you play.

• FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I got a Wrath of Heroes beta invite this morning. That's cool, guys, invite me to play your game when I'm on my way to work.

Anybody else get in or even bother trying?

i got my invite this morning as well. i'll try and find the time to get in later tonight.

edit: i only want to play black orc. maybe shaman. smash stunties.

Feldorn on
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    You bastard! I applied within a day or two of hte announcement, and haven't received anything yet.

Looks like the sessions are tonight from 7-9 and tomorrow from 1-5. There's a good chance I won't be able to make either.

I hate it when betas only run at certain times.

edited September 2011
    EDIT: double post. Can we not delete posts?

Dr_Keenbean on
    i can probably make some of the test tonight. definitely out tomorrow though.

that's if i can get logged in and update by that time. sometimes my daughter isn't in bed before 9. we'll see.

edited September 2011
    edit: dammit, i did it too.

Feldorn on

Looks like the sessions are tonight from 7-9 and tomorrow from 1-5. There's a good chance I won't be able to make either.

Yeah, I took a peek at the website after I saw your post. If they are only doing very limited access like this right now they must have a ways to go.

I played the shit out of battlefield heroes during the beta (and a little past) and if this is like that except warhammer themed I will shit my pants.

note that these times are EST. being on the west (best?) coast, i don't think i'll be able to make them. oh well, i'll still try and install it.

Give me your account then.

Fucking hell, I never ever have made it into a beta that I really wanted to be in.

No wait, I got into the SCII beta.

Literally hours before it ended.

YL9WnCY.png
    I managed 1 game before I had to knock off to cook/eat dinner (homemade buffalo chicken strips FTW).

It was fun. NDA's apparently up so I can't go into detail. But I had fun. Frantic, mindless, silly fun.

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    feh

I'm glad that my subscription money didn't go to this new game.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    All subscribers get access to beta this week.

YL9WnCY.png
    edited September 2011
    I grabbed the 14 day trial you get every 90 days.

I cannot believe how stupid these decisions are getting. Increasing the level cap for each Tier? Was that too fair or something? So I guess stay the fuck out of Tier 2 now until 15 and just piddle in Nord's awful XP gains?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    I cannot believe how stupid these decisions are getting. Increasing the level cap for each Tier? Was that too fair or something? So I guess stay the fuck out of Tier 2 now until 15 and just piddle in Nord's awful XP gains?

Honestly, the level increases are pretty cool in actual execution. Especially since T3 goes all the way to 39, so you don't have to worry fighting 40's until you're actually 40 and get steam-rolled by people in better armor. And you'll get bolstered up to the new level cap for the tier, so it's not too bad moving up when you can.

EDIT: Oh, hey, a WOH invite.

...crap, won't be up until I head out for my FLGS. Yay.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch