As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Requests regarding the BYOC

GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
edited May 2006 in PAX Archive
Hey-lo. I was doing some thinking today and I thought I would make a post requesting a few things. Things were almost perfect in 05 except for the very restrictive internet connection. It was very disappointing for me to find that I couldn't connect to the text-based games that I frequent (MUCKs, etc) nor could I access anything that wasn't Counter-Strike, really. I did have a great time though aside from these issues, but I hope I'll be able to access some more stuff this year (ie WOW, EVE Online).

Oh! And where is it going to be located this year? I thought I heard a rumor that it was oging to be in one of the hotels this year and that it was going to be 24 hours.. or something. I am confused. :(

GeeCee on

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Byoc will be in the exact same room and will close with the rest of the main part of pax just like last year.

Internet will 99% most likely be locked down just like last year. The connection just isnt fast enough to open it up for games for 150+ people. But that sort of defeats teh purpose of a local area network party anyway :P

You were able to get to cs stuff because we had a local server that was dishing out steam files, that had nothing to do with the internet.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited April 2006
    The demand for more Internet accessability was very often requested, and it is something we're taking very seriously. It's very difficult, however, as the Internet pipe into the building itself is limited and extremely expensive.

Keep your fingers crossed and wish us luck!

David Coffman on
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Oh and I have some:

FFS move the DDR and Guitar Revolition games DOWN THE HALL!!!

All I hear is annoying Drum beats and dancing guys literally RIGHT NEXT to the door. Man...

Other requests:

1. make it Open 24hrs!!!!!!
    2. More women.
    3. Big red needs to wear a gian top hat with a strobe light.
    4. Exhibition matches against GABE AND TYCHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (there's gotta be SOME special thing for registering for BYOC, they barely stepped foot into the place last PAX)

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    flatrabbitflatrabbit King of Toast That place, over there.Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    altmann wrote:
    FFS move the DDR and Guitar Revolition games DOWN THE HALL!!!
    Just because you said that I'm moving more machines up there outside the doors. enjoy.
    altmann wrote:
    Other requests:

1. make it Open 24hrs!!!!!!
    2. More women.
    4. Exhibition matches against GABE AND TYCHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (there's gotta be SOME special thing for registering for BYOC, they barely stepped foot into the place last PAX)
    1. No
    2. There were women there, you have to move from BYOC to see them though. Besides it's not up to us to make more women show up.
    3. Yeah I totally see that happening, no seriously.
    4. They are mad busy, and can't be everywhere at once...plus they are trying to enjoy everything at PAX too. They aren't just there as the PA reps, but as gamers too. Why exactly does there have to be something special about purchasing a BYOC spot? I mean your own semi-climate controlled room, no wandering crowds so your stuff stays safe...it's like a $10 home base from which to operate from. Besides PAX is special over all.

flatrabbit on
    --"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    AstayonixAstayonix Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    altmann wrote:
    Oh and I have some:

Great suggestion! That's very true; they avoided the BYOC like the plauge in '05 and '04. :cry: It would be totally awesome to see them play against each other and/or other BYOCers.

Astayonix on
    -=Astayonix=-
    http://www.n37radio.com
    Awesome Ideas With No Inititive
    IRC - radeon.slashdot.net #n37 key=topic
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    I'm guessing the chances that Gabe would do much playing are pretty slim, as he's not much of a pc guy.

Tycho was pretty interested in the BF2 games we had last year, and it'd certainly be cool to see him throw down a few rounds.

It goes without saying, of course, that both of them are monstrously busy during the event.

I really like the hat idea for BigRed....but can we make it a beanie?

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    altmann wrote:

Sorry, im not a lighthouse :P

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Well, what about port 23 at least so I can SSH out? Is that a big security risk?

GeeCee on
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Damn Flatrabbit. It was was a comical post.

I completely know that Gabe n Tycho are ultrabusy. But hey, it would be fun!

Maybe someone coud (gasp) ACTUALLY ask them, instead of just assuming they would never do it.

Also:

Who's up for DoD:S ?

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    flatrabbitflatrabbit King of Toast That place, over there.Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    altmann wrote:
    Damn Flatrabbit. It was was a comical post.
    I totally fail at humor. Next time use proper <humor></humor> tags. Heh. And I'm sure they will show up and maybe we can get some PA FFA deathmatch-style on some old school FPS. Or crap even some quakewars action.....hmmmm? I'd totally be down for that.

flatrabbit on
    --"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    GeeCee wrote:
    Well, what about port 23 at least so I can SSH out? Is that a big security risk?
    Our main concern is bandwidth. So far as I'm aware, SSH nor anything that uses port 23 by default uses very much bandwidth, so it's possible we could leave it open. However, I'm not aware of any security issues this may present, so I can't speak to that.

Understand, though, that's way, way, way down on our list of priorities. And, should we open it, if we have the slightest strain on bandwidth it'd likely be one of the first things shut down.

But understand, things are still up in the air and we won't know exactly what kind of bandwidth will be available for some time.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2006
    Wouldn't SSH allow you to tunnel out to a proxy, then to any port you want?

I mean, allowing SSH would pretty much allow you to do anything as long as you have an external machine on a nice connection, right?

Doc on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    I really don't know, Doc. :( I'm just trying to figure out a way to connect to connect to my text based games which definately don't use much bandwidth. If I'm going to bring my computer down I want to do something other than CounterStrike.. hopefully someone will be running an open wireless access point again this year. :(

GeeCee on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Theres plenty to do other than counterstrike.

Look at all the pc games that are comming out before pax. Ill bet you $5 most of them will be played :P

BigRed on
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    I really hope Quake Wars hits before PAX. It seems like it would be an awesome LAN game. That game is the first game I've been really excited about since Half Life 2.

How will the security be this year. I remeber last year the BYOC security being very lax. I didn't hear about any equipment being stolen, and I'd like to think that none of us would do something like that, there are a ridiculous amount of people there and there are sure to be some bad apples.

I'm also going to bring the latest game that I made. It's got four person LAN and it would be cool to see what some others think as we only ever had a few people play the multiplayer and that was all bugtesting.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    AstayonixAstayonix Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Cronus wrote:
    I really hope Quake Wars hits before PAX. It seems like it would be an awesome LAN game. That game is the first game I've been really excited about since Half Life 2.

I'm also going to bring the latest game that I made. It's got four person LAN and it would be cool to see what some others think as we only ever had a few people play the multiplayer and that was all bugtesting.

Sweet! I'd be up for that! I am a huge fan of indie games, so I'd be really interested in seeing what you've made. Also, I'm pretty sure my boyfriend and I are going to be throwing down a TON of Quake World if you guys want to get a little old school action going :wink: .

Astayonix on
    -=Astayonix=-
    http://www.n37radio.com
    Awesome Ideas With No Inititive
    IRC - radeon.slashdot.net #n37 key=topic
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Cronus wrote:
    How will the security be this year. I remeber last year the BYOC security being very lax. I didn't hear about any equipment being stolen, and I'd like to think that none of us would do something like that, there are a ridiculous amount of people there and there are sure to be some bad apples.

Well im trying to do things without being a real nazi about little stuff.

One thing that will change:
    all doors will be watched at all times with my sentry wards ;). There will be bigass DO NOT USE DOOR signs and if someone violates said sign either me or one of my posse' will be on them in seconds.

Thats one thing im going to be a nazi about, ill make you go back into the room and walk out the proper way.

So what if you have to hike a couple hundred feet to use the main door instead being a lazy bum and taking the blocked off one near you (what people were doing last year). People will just have to deal with it.

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Cronus wrote:
    If you didn't hear about it then that means security was pretty good. Bad news travels fast so if there was an issue then everyone would know by now. I also hope that we don't attract the kinds of people who would do such a thing either, plus BigRed is pretty imposing when he needs to be and I trust that he will take every step necessary to ensure the saftey of the stuff stored in the BYOC room.

flatrabbit on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2006
    Is big red the large bald dude that's not me?

Doc on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Doc wrote:
    He'd be the large (as in height) but not bald guy that was sitting in front of BYOC all last year in a chair that can cause liquification of the spine.....and umm... "other" types of liquification from what I heard.

flatrabbit on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Cronus wrote:
    I really hope Quake Wars hits before PAX.
    If it does, there's a good chance it'd be a tournament. Assuming the release gives people a fair chance to buy it (ie, a month or so), and it doesn't suck, of course.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Doc wrote:

BigRed = Really tall person with red hair

BigRed on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I sleep safer knowing BigRed is protecting me and my machine...with nerf guns.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    Archgarth wrote:
    I sleep safer knowing BigRed is protecting me and my machine...with nerf guns.

My custom 80psi nerf gun should be completed by pax as long as im not too terribly busy at work.

FEAR

BigRed on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I demand game list!!!

No really, I just got back into the PC scene and I'm BYOC so I'm re-building my PC game collection like mad, and I want to know what to bring so I can actually, you know, play with other people.

Here's my list, comments are appreciated:

Have:
    Dawn of War/Winter Assault
    Warcraft 3 & Frozen Throne
    Starcraft & Brood War
    Neverwinter Nights (Original, no expansions).
    F.E.A.R.
    Far Cry
    Civilization IV
    Age of Mythology
    Diablo II & Throne of Destruction

Going to get for sure:
    Half-Life 2/Counterstrike Source/Deathmatch
    Age of Empires III
    Neverwinter Nights (Diamond Edition w/ all expansions)

I also have a DS for downtime w/ Mario Kart, Tetris, Meteos, Metroid Prime Pinball/Hunters.

I've seen a few mentions about Battlefield II, and I may be willing to pick it up if I see it cheap, but only if a lot of people are going to be playing.

Any thoughts/comments?

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    A few places have BF2 on clearance for $19.95 now.

Ninja edit:
    Also keep in mind a bunch of new pc games (like Enemy territority: quake wars, and UT2007) are comming out before pax. They are sure to get a lot of playtime.

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    I doubt UT2k7 or Quake Wars will make it in time, but if either of them do, provided they don't suck, there's a very good chance they'll sneak into a tournament.

I'd definitely get BF2 and UT2k4 could probably be put to good use as well.

We will be releasing a schedule of Games of the Hour, but that's still a couple-few months out. Obviously you don't HAVE to play in the Games of the Hour, but those that do will be entered in regularly scheduled mini-game contests to compete in public where the losers will be laughed at and pointed at while the winners will win cool swag.

These mini contests generally will not be PC games, just fun ways to distribute prizes.

We'll be watching the forums as we fine tune the list of games of the hour. Obviously there will be certain games that are repeated (ie, CSS and BF2), whereas other games may only be used once.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited May 2006
    DiscoDave wrote:
    The demand for more Internet accessability was very often requested, and it is something we're taking very seriously. It's very difficult, however, as the Internet pipe into the building itself is limited and extremely expensive.

Keep your fingers crossed and wish us luck!

Well I was hoping that Clearwire might work there, and then someone would be nice enough to bring their set-up and you'd have your own private Broadband. But nope... not yet at least. Maybe you guys will get lucky by then though....

Unknown User on
  • Options
    Lazarus PlusLazarus Plus Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    GeeCee wrote:
    I really don't know, Doc. :( I'm just trying to figure out a way to connect to connect to my text based games which definately don't use much bandwidth. If I'm going to bring my computer down I want to do something other than CounterStrike.. hopefully someone will be running an open wireless access point again this year. :(

Why would you want to play a MUD at PAX? I mean, I play TradeWars which is a huge time sink, but I would give it a rest to play games that, you know, the people AROUND me are playing.

Lazarus Plus on
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    Not really a MUD, actually a MUCK. More for social reasons than actual game playing, though.

GeeCee on