As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Alcohol] - THE FINAL DRUNKENING

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Podly wrote:
    Esh wrote:
    Podly wrote:
    Regan's book is great. I don't make the drinks the way he does, but his overall approach is quite great. Haigh's is probably my favorite, although you do have to adjust the measurements a bit sometimes, because some of the drinks are quite small. My favorite would be Imbibe! by Dave Wondrich, with Imbibe magazine being a great bimonthly magazine to check out.

I'm a fan of Regan's proportions. Imbibe is more along the lines of Felten's book. History with some recipes. Along those lines as well, I love the compilation of Kingsley Amis' books and articles "Everyday Drinking". "The Art Of The Bar" by Hollinger & Schwartz is a really nice book, and if you want to see how completely nuts the Japanese are about tending bar, "Cocktail Techniques" by Kazuo Uyeda is a great read.

What is the Saunders/Ward approach? I know who they are, but what exactly differs them?

I've been working under a guy who learned from Saunders, and Phil Ward has a similar approach. It's generally 2 oz of booze per drink, and the acid is usually balanced by the sugar. So I whiskey sour would be 2 oz whiskey, 3/4 oz lemon, 3/4 oz simple (Plus egg white.) A margarita would be 2 oz tequila, 3/4 oz lime, 3/4 oz cointreau. (I like to add 1/4 oz simple to round out the mouthfeel.) To build on drinks, Audrey keeps the similar propotion. Here is the *SHHHHH TOP SECRET!* Pegu Club recipe for the Gin Gin Mule

2 oz Tanqueray
    1 oz Ginger Beer
    3/4 oz Lime Juice
    3/4 oz Simple
    Muddled Mint

So it's got the same basic theory behind it, and then you can add the appropriate ornamentation to it. So At Employees Only, they do a drink I think they call the Tequila A Go Go or something, which is

2 oz Tequila
    1 oz Ginger Beer
    3/4 oz Lime Juice
    3/4 oz Simple
    Muddled Mint
    muddled cucumber

I've always liked the little ditty "One of sour, two of sweet, three of strong, and four of weak (if the drink as a weak component, i.e. soda)", giving you for example with a Margarita at 1 1/2oz Tequla, 1oz Cointreau, 1/2oz fresh squeezed lime. When you're adding the simple I feel like basically you're just taking the "mouthfeel" to closer to the recipe I used.

Though really, I use that for just formulaic drinks. Here's one of mine I call The Chance Meeting.

3/4oz St. Germain
    3/4oz Strega
    1oz Aperol
    1/2oz fresh squeezed lemon juice

I'm a big proponent of basing most drinks around 3oz total of liquid ingredients (unless you're adding soda water or some such). Though, the aversion could just come from when I tended bar in Rhode Island and all the stemware was HUGE. Oversized martini glasses and what not. Ugh. Thank God I'm back in Portland, Oregon.

Esh on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Podly wrote:
    Podly wrote:
    Regan's book is great. I don't make the drinks the way he does, but his overall approach is quite great. Haigh's is probably my favorite, although you do have to adjust the measurements a bit sometimes, because some of the drinks are quite small. My favorite would be Imbibe! by Dave Wondrich, with Imbibe magazine being a great bimonthly magazine to check out.

edit* Degroff is the master, but I don't care for his cocktail recipes that much. Same with Regan -- they're some of the best guys behind the stick, but I tend to side with the more Saunders / Ward approach to cocktails.

Have to check some of those out, thanks.

• local flavor policelocal flavor police Registered User regular
    Gonna drink Glenfiddich for the first time tonight. only 12 years but i'm stoked to get my hands on any scotch that isnt crap. Trying to branch out with my appreciation of all forms of alcoholic beverages. If i keep only drinking beer for the rest of my life i'll end up fat.

Steam: LocalFlavorPolice
    Gonna drink Glenfiddich for the first time tonight. only 12 years but i'm stoked to get my hands on any scotch that isnt crap. Trying to branch out with my appreciation of all forms of alcoholic beverages. If i keep only drinking beer for the rest of my life i'll end up fat.

Remember there are various types of scotch as well that taste VERY different.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I've had a lot of trouble selling the 3:2:1 margarita to people I make drinks for. Most people I've encountered think it's too boozy, so I'd probably follow something close to podly's recipe and sweeten it a bit.

how do you feel about using both lemon and lime juice? I think it makes a lot of sense when you're making a pitcher.

edited August 2011
    I've had a lot of trouble selling the 3:2:1 margarita to people I make drinks for. Most people I've encountered think it's too boozy, so I'd probably follow something close to podly's recipe and sweeten it a bit.

how do you feel about using both lemon and lime juice? I think it makes a lot of sense when you're making a pitcher.

Podly's is boozier than mine. 1/2oz more tequila but a 1/4oz less Cointreau. The simple syrup (and he's only putting a little squirt in) is just going to end up evening out to the same level of sweetness as mine but then you're tossing even MORE tequila on top. Lemon and lime are going to mix together and taste exactly the same. You might try adding a dash of OJ. I some bartenders who do that.

The people you're making them for are used to sweet and sour mixes and have no idea what a real margarita should taste like. Are you using fresh squeezed lime or the shit out a bottle? Fresh is key.

Esh on
    so i stepped outside, got in the car, realized somthing wasnt right. I have a fucking flat tire.

now i'm drinking alone. This scotch. I like it a lot, drinking it neat. somtimes i take a sip and it tastes simply sublime, other times its like my whole body wants to reject the stuff. I think it has to deal with how you exhale? maybe its just cause i'm a little kid with floaters on my arms jumping into the deep end of the pool.

Yes, I use fresh juice. It's just that the 3:2:1 is half liquor with a little extra alcohol from the triple sec on top. Even if it's a 'real' margarita, most people I've made the drink don't care for such a boozy drink. I've had a few people ask for something else (Politely) after taking a whiff. When i said I made something closer to podly's, I meant I generally added a sweetner. Usually increase the volume with fruit juice, and use both types of juice.

as for scotch, I think it's helpful to warm up to it a bit. If it's a good one, bury your noise in your glass and inhale. You'll like just smell booze at first, but eventually you'll be able to get some flavors out of it. I usually get dark fruit, something like figs. Then the flavor will make more sense.

if it's house scotch (or any kind of whiskey) I'll drink it on the rocks. if it's a nice bottle I add a drop or two of water. My brother claims there's a chemical process to how a tiny bit of water can open up the flavor. it sounds complicated so I'm inclined to believe him

edited August 2011
    Yes, I use fresh juice. It's just that the 3:2:1 is half liquor with a little extra alcohol from the triple sec on top. Even if it's a 'real' margarita, most people I've made the drink don't care for such a boozy drink. I've had a few people ask for something else (Politely) after taking a whiff. When i said I made something closer to podly's, I meant I generally added a sweetner. Usually increase the volume with fruit juice, and use both types of juice.

The recipe I showed you is pretty much the gold standard for Margarita recipes. It's not a "boozy" drink. It's a normal drink. I'm guessing most of your friends drink vodka covered up with a ton of some sort of juice? You honestly should save yourself the effort and buy those people a big jug of sour mix and call it a day. Also, are you actually mixing the drink or just layering it? Here's the proper process...

Pint glass
    Put all the ingredients into the pint glass.
    THEN fill the pint glass with ice.
    Cap the pint glass with the shaker tin.
    Grasp it firmly with both hands
    Face the tin towards the front (that way if it slips off, the glass goes behind you and not into your audience)
    Shake it. HARD. Over your shoulder. Till tin gets cold and frost starts to form.
    Take a double rocks glass with ice, crack your tin, making sure the liquid and ice are in the tin part, strain the margarita into the ice-filled double rocks glass.

Voila. This should produce something that barely smells boozy at all. That's why I'm thinking you're not properly assembling the drink. I've been tending bar for almost 8 years and I've never had a margarita returned to me.

EDIT: I'm saying this because you're putting a lot of effort into something that these people don't care about it. Unless you're tending bar professionally, there's no point in doing what you're doing for your friends.

Esh on
    I don't think you're really listening to me and you're being pretty patronizing to boot

I know how to mix a drink

edited August 2011
    I don't think you're really listening to me and you're being pretty patronizing to boot

Pun intended?

I wasn't being patronizing. This is how I see a great deal of people assemble a drink.

Put a couple ice cubes in a mixing tin.
    Dump all the ingredients into it.
    Limply shake the tin you were the queen waving at the adoring crowds.
    Dump it in a glass.

Which results in a very badly made drink.

Esh on
    edited August 2011
    yeah, just a couple drops of water is where it's at. added too much to the second glass, wasnt much, but this is definately better. but i'm also drunker, so thats a factor.

drunker cant be a word. oh well.

local flavor police on
  • QliphothQliphoth Registered User regular
    So I got a litre of cognac as a present, I like it straight but is there anything else that works well with?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Qliphoth wrote:
    So I got a litre of cognac as a present, I like it straight but is there anything else that works well with?

Class

Cigars, maybe? I think it's meant to be enjoyed by itself.

• CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    My girlfriend has been bringing me back regional booze from trips and business trips, and I was wondering if anyone knew what to do with it. Soju was pretty easily figured out--since people mix it with just about anything. So it mixes up nice with many varied things.

I have some gaoliang. It may have murderous intent when drunk straight. Maybe that is the point? Should I be mixing it with something?

What do I do with aquavit other than stick it in the freezer and then have very cold shots of it?

• BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    CowShark wrote:
    My girlfriend has been bringing me back regional booze from trips and business trips, and I was wondering if anyone knew what to do with it. Soju was pretty easily figured out--since people mix it with just about anything. So it mixes up nice with many varied things.

I have some gaoliang. It may have murderous intent when drunk straight. Maybe that is the point? Should I be mixing it with something?

What do I do with aquavit other than stick it in the freezer and then have very cold shots of it?

You mix Soju? I don't think I ever saw anyone mix Soju while in Korea. We just took shots of it, and your level of worth as a man was based on how many bottles you could drink.

We had a few samples at our disposal, and we tried it in various ways, shots, mixed drinks, there was one juice-box of soju (probably not the best quality stuff, but pretty hilarious). I'm sure in certain circles people will judge you for how you drink your booze, and from what I've heard, Korea has a kind of involved drinking culture, but I'm dubious of the idea that in all of Korea, there's only one way to drink distilled rice liquor. Likewise, I figure there's other ways to enjoy aquavit than as depicted in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, or gaoliang as depicted in Legend of the Drunken Master.

CowShark wrote:
    We had a few samples at our disposal, and we tried it in various ways, shots, mixed drinks, there was one juice-box of soju (probably not the best quality stuff, but pretty hilarious). I'm sure in certain circles people will judge you for how you drink your booze, and from what I've heard, Korea has a kind of involved drinking culture, but I'm dubious of the idea that in all of Korea, there's only one way to drink distilled rice liquor. Likewise, I figure there's other ways to enjoy aquavit than as depicted in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, or gaoliang as depicted in Legend of the Drunken Master.

Try swapping the gin out for Aquavit in a Corpse Reviver #2. Delicious.

• EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    Qliphoth wrote:

Make a Sidecar.

Man, I've never had a Corpse Reviver #2 with gin. Guess I have something to try out this weekend!

CowShark wrote:
    Man, I've never had a Corpse Reviver #2 with gin. Guess I have something to try out this weekend!

What have you been having it made with? There are other numbers of them, maybe one of those? If you ask me, the Corpse Reviver #1 (With Brandy, Applejack, and Sweet Vermouth) is pretty blah.

• TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    Just going to jump in here and talk about recent beer experiences:
    1: Bell's Consecrator Dopplebock is fucking amazing, one of my favorite beers from their brewery (saying a lot imho).

2: I've been really liking Stoudt's Triple (Belgian Abbey-Style Ale); it's very sharp on the tongue but in a good way.

3: Don't recommend someone who only likes dark beers Dale's Pale Ale if you're trying to convert them. I like the stuff, but it won't appease someone used to stouts and such.

4: Damn, Avery Brewing Company's Collaboration not Litigation is pretty damn good. Add cheddar cheese that has been streaked with some dark ale flavor and you've got a fine meal.

5: I get to go to a 4 course dinner with beer pairing each course this Thursday and I'm pretty stoked. A guy from a local craft beer store teams up with this gourmet dining place and talks about delicious beer that I get to drink. Looking at the selection I'm very excited to taste some of these brews.

• The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    I will follow up that beer experience with one of my own. In about 90 minutes, I'll be at Hopworks for a seminar on Barrel-Aged beers. Four brewers are speaking. And they're bringing some stuff along for the ride:

John Harris, Full Sail Brewing
    2 vintages of Black Gold or Top Sail (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout and Porter respectively)
    1998 Old Boilermaker (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Barleywine)

Ben Love, Hopworks Urban Brewing
    Ace of Spades (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial IPA)
    Piledriver (Cabernet and Bourbon Barrel-Aged Belgian Strong Ale with Cherries)
    Noggin Floggin (2009 Macallan Scotch Barrel-Aged)

Nick Arzner, Block 15 Brewing
    Pappy’s Dark Ale (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout)
    Golden Canary (Pinot Barrel-Aged sour Wild Ale)
    Figgy Pudding (Brandy Barrel-Aged English Strong Ale)

Ben Edmunds, Breakside Brewery
    Double Wit (Gin Barrel-Aged Sour Ale)
    Aztec (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Chocolate and Chili Strong Ale)

It's going to be such a good evening. Been looking forward to this all week.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    That sounds pretty amazing. Pretty damn jealous.

• Achilles Last StandAchilles Last Stand Registered User regular
    I'm going to a brewery tour at a place called Brewery Vivant. They have been brewing beers inspired by Belgium/France for about a year now. My girlfriend and I participate in a recycling program in Grand Rapids sponsored by the city that gives point on how much you recycle, and one of the rewards was a free tour/sampling of their beers. I'm pretty psyched about it.

There was also a reward for a very large amount of points where they would make and name a beer after you, then have a tasting party with 8 people. If it wasn't so much I'd totally save the points up for it.

steam_sig.png
  • taoist drunktaoist drunk Registered User regular
    I have a really pretty glass bottle and so I'm thinking about making an infused vodka of my own, but my creativity is failing me. I haven't ever infused my own vodka before because flavored vodkas are the same price as their plain counterparts so I usually just buy whatever the company is already selling (by the way -- Absolut's Wild Tea and Effen's cucumber vodkas are really delicious). Does anyone have a favorite recipe? I like all kinds of drinks so I'm open to pretty much whatever. Have you guys had any success?

Also, for Chicago forumers, I know it's cliche but Longman & Eagle's cocktails really do live up to the hype.

Also, for Chicago forumers, I know it's cliche but Longman & Eagle's cocktails really do live up to the hype.

Never heard of it before, interesting mish-mash of old and new. Looks like a place where 90% of the customers are wearing scarves regardless of the weather.

• HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    Buddies wrote:
    CowShark wrote:

You mix Soju? I don't think I ever saw anyone mix Soju while in Korea. We just took shots of it, and your level of worth as a man was based on how many bottles you could drink.

My friend who just got back from Korea tells me that Poju is apparently a common mix there (Powerade and Soju)

kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Esh wrote:

Pun intended?

I wasn't being patronizing. This is how I see a great deal of people assemble a drink.

Put a couple ice cubes in a mixing tin.
    Dump all the ingredients into it.
    Limply shake the tin you were the queen waving at the adoring crowds.
    Dump it in a glass.

Which results in a very badly made drink.

Can I ask why do you discard the ice in the shaking tin for even more ice in the next glass? I make drinks apparently, shittily, at home, cause I do the queen method.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    Are you asking why you don't put the ice from the shaker into the drink?

If so, 'standard' method is to use fresh ice in the glass for looks and cold-factor, as the old ice has now been heated up by the shaking.

As for shaking, what type of 'tin' (haven't heard it called that) do you use? A two-cup Boston-style, or one with more of a lid/top? The lid style is a little easier to hold on to if you have trouble.

• redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    heated up and smashed into little bits that are going to melt fast and water the drink down.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
    redx wrote:
    heated up and smashed into little bits that are going to melt fast and water the drink down.

Well, he said he does the Queen method, so probably still intact, :lol:

But yeah, that too.

• CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    Ice can't be heated up, only melted. It's always ice-cold.

MichaelLC wrote:
    Are you asking why you don't put the ice from the shaker into the drink?

If so, 'standard' method is to use fresh ice in the glass for looks and cold-factor, as the old ice has now been heated up by the shaking.

As for shaking, what type of 'tin' (haven't heard it called that) do you use? A two-cup Boston-style, or one with more of a lid/top? The lid style is a little easier to hold on to if you have trouble.

I have never called it a 'tin'. Esh did first and since just a cursory read of this thread reveals that he knows the most (or at least sounds like he does) I figured I had been calling it by the wrong name.

Shit, I need to go across the street and get some more ice before the rest of this storm rolls in.

• taoist drunktaoist drunk Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote:

Never heard of it before, interesting mish-mash of old and new. Looks like a place where 90% of the customers are wearing scarves regardless of the weather.

That's logan square for you! I tasted the bitter bourbon buck, the black cherry 101, the black thorn and something with tequila that's not on the drink menu online. It was an extra that we happened to see because we were by the service bar, and it looked good so we asked "What's that?" and the bartender said "Yours." Right place/right time. It was one of the only tequila cocktails I've ever really been impressed by (margaritas are good, but i've never had one that blew me away) and I wish I remembered what was in it. The bitter bourbon buck (bourbon, fernet branca, ginger beer) was really, really good though, and the bartenders are friendly and more than happy to make something up for you if you tell them what you like. It's right across the street from the blue line and they have a patio. (note: i do not work there, i just finally got around to going after three+ years of living here recently and was pleased that my friends hadn't been bullshitting me about how good it is).

In Fine Spirits up in Andersonville is also really good for cocktails, and I love their back patio, but I'm always horrified by how much money I wind up spending there.

All right I just made an apple martini shaken like a man and forgoed the queen method.

Though this seems like a huge waste of ice.

However, it does taste pretty good. I did the real shake until frost came out, etc.

MegaMan001 wrote:
    All right I just made an apple martini shaken like a man and forgoed the queen method.

However, it does taste pretty good. I did the real shake until frost came out, etc.

Waste of ice? It's water. That shouldn't be an issue unless you're living in a drought area.

The other problem here is that you putting "apple martini" and "shaken like a man" in the same sentence is weird.

Esh wrote:
    MegaMan001 wrote:

Waste of ice? It's water. That shouldn't be an issue unless you're living in a drought area.

The other problem here is that you putting "apple martini" and "shaken like a man" in the same sentence is weird.

Apple Martini is delicious. Plus, it gets me drunk. I also enjoy Vodka Gimlets, Gin and Tonic, Vodka + Anything, really.

I plan to finish up that Tanqueray a little later.

MegaMan001 wrote:
    Esh wrote:
    MegaMan001 wrote:

Apple Martini is delicious. Plus, it gets me drunk. I also enjoy Vodka Gimlets, Gin and Tonic, Vodka + Anything, really.

I plan to finish up that Tanqueray a little later.

I'm just going to leave this here for you...

I just saw that the other day as a result of the Vimo thread.
    MegaMan001 wrote:

Apple martinis aren't girly - if you use the whole apple including stem & seeds.

If you didn't know, gin you really don't want to shake it - just some gentle stirring.