As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video Game Industry Thread: This is the old one, go to the new one

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Okay then, how many 360s have sold total worldwide? It sounds like Live use is pretty darn high, but I'm curious how high.

Ten? Twenty! I guess twenty.

edit: Heck, thirty-five.

Thirty-six!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    In a row?

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    BD/LO's launches proved that no matter what you do you can't just make a Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy, no matter how awesome your boss music is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUjxPj3al5U

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    My comment was taken as commenting on Japan's xenophobia, but that's not the problem here. The problem is the same problem Japanese developers have in reaching Western gamers. They are so divided from a cultural standpoint that they are unable to create games we find enticing on a large scale. Microsoft needed to say, 'stylistically, what is the Japanese consumer looking for in a console? what games do they enjoy playing? Do we have an offering for them?' I believe they are unable to do that.

Apple succeeded because Japan loves portable technology and Apple is a wonderful design company. Anecdote time: I work for Otakon on their guest relations staff. Another staff member at the time worked for the Apple Store. Upon the release of the first iPhone, Apple gave one to every employee working for the company, so he had one when the convention rolled around. Never have I seen such raving from the Japanese guests as when they first saw the iPhone. They all wanted to touch it, hold it, see it. The connection and desire was instant and immediate.

Microsoft could never engender that sort of love in the Xbox 360, and dare I say it, the Xbox brand at this point. The first was the very antithesis of a Japanese-style console. The 360 was frankly, unremarkable, and lacked games in the market for a long time. Partially because of the chicken/egg issue. Blue Dragon and other games needed to be at launch. Games like Idolmaster, Tales of, etc...

Absolutely and very well said. I wanted to add one more thing. There's an additional challenge in that sometimes design decisions can be mutually exclusive. What's great for one region is disasterous in another. I've had lots of American friends who actually liked the "Duke", the big-handed original Xbox controller, yet it was laughably too large for many Asians. Kinect is another great example. It's doing gangbusters here in the US, where homes tend to be larger, while it's understandably tanking in really dense areas like Japan. Does that mean Kinect should never have launched or should have been delayed to figure out how to fix it? Arguably, MS did the right thing business-wise.

As someone who has worked to globalize many products/websites/etc. over the years ... it's a really really hard thing to make something appeal everywhere. Interestingly enough, some of the things I've shipped ended up much more popular outside of the US, while others have been very US-centric. I'm sure Japanese companies (particularly game developers) are feeling the same way about their products in the hands of American consumers.

Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
    JCRooks is my kind of shill; he never talks about his stuff directly but always remains a company man. Now if he'd only switch back to Kyon.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    JCRooks wrote:
    My comment was taken as commenting on Japan's xenophobia, but that's not the problem here. The problem is the same problem Japanese developers have in reaching Western gamers. They are so divided from a cultural standpoint that they are unable to create games we find enticing on a large scale. Microsoft needed to say, 'stylistically, what is the Japanese consumer looking for in a console? what games do they enjoy playing? Do we have an offering for them?' I believe they are unable to do that.

Apple succeeded because Japan loves portable technology and Apple is a wonderful design company. Anecdote time: I work for Otakon on their guest relations staff. Another staff member at the time worked for the Apple Store. Upon the release of the first iPhone, Apple gave one to every employee working for the company, so he had one when the convention rolled around. Never have I seen such raving from the Japanese guests as when they first saw the iPhone. They all wanted to touch it, hold it, see it. The connection and desire was instant and immediate.

Microsoft could never engender that sort of love in the Xbox 360, and dare I say it, the Xbox brand at this point. The first was the very antithesis of a Japanese-style console. The 360 was frankly, unremarkable, and lacked games in the market for a long time. Partially because of the chicken/egg issue. Blue Dragon and other games needed to be at launch. Games like Idolmaster, Tales of, etc...

Absolutely and very well said. I wanted to add one more thing. There's an additional challenge in that sometimes design decisions can be mutually exclusive. What's great for one region is disasterous in another. I've had lots of American friends who actually liked the "Duke", the big-handed original Xbox controller, yet it was laughably too large for many Asians. Kinect is another great example. It's doing gangbusters here in the US, where homes tend to be larger, while it's understandably tanking in really dense areas like Japan. Does that mean Kinect should never have launched or should have been delayed to figure out how to fix it? Arguably, MS did the right thing business-wise.

As someone who has worked to globalize many products/websites/etc. over the years ... it's a really really hard thing to make something appeal everywhere. Interestingly enough, some of the things I've shipped ended up much more popular outside of the US, while others have been very US-centric. I'm sure Japanese companies (particularly game developers) are feeling the same way about their products in the hands of American consumers.

I was going to add that.

I mean look at it this way, the same way we go LOLjapan I'm pretty sure they do the same to some of the products we make.

It is very difficult and rare for something to have widespread appeal.

JCRooks is my kind of shill; he never talks about his stuff directly but always remains a company man. Now if he'd only switch back to Kyon.

Why, thank you? :) I'm actually required to state fairly regularly that I'm a company man, and obviously I can't disclose details about the stuff that I work on since much of it is still secret, underdevelopment, etc. Also, I was thinking of using a new user pic, but I haven't really watched anything new lately.

Oh, speaking of being a company man, I'm going to PAX and have booth duty for a few hours. I think it's Friday, but not sure yet. Anyone else from G&T going? Feel free to look for me and say hi.

Yes but you also didn't brag about products that were already released, which is refreshing.

• AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    JCRooks wrote:

Why, thank you? :) I'm actually required to state fairly regularly that I'm a company man, and obviously I can't disclose details about the stuff that I work on since much of it is still secret, underdevelopment, etc. Also, I was thinking of using a new user pic, but I haven't really watched anything new lately.

Oh, speaking of being a company man, I'm going to PAX and have booth duty for a few hours. I think it's Friday, but not sure yet. Anyone else from G&T going? Feel free to look for me and say hi.
    I write for IndustryGamers, so I shall be there. Playing games, doin' interviews, and the like.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    One of these years, I'll get there. But not this year.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Okay, it's official, I'm "on the clock" on Friday, from 11 to 4 pm. I get to wear a T-shirt that says "Ask Me Anything". I'll probably be at the booth for a bit, but I'm also encouraged to wander around. If folks want to meet up and "ask me questions", ping me and we'll set something up. Stepto says I must have fun talking to customers, so I guess I will. :)

I will be around on other days, but mostly will be with my wife and friends. And probably checking out mostly board games, since that's what we usually do.

Oh, and to keep this post somewhat on-topic, here's the official response from MS regarding Japan:
    "No, of course we're not pulling out," Lewis explained in a recent interview with Eurogamer.
    http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/18/microsoft-responds-to-claims-of-japanese-retailers-phasing-out-3/

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    No PAX Prime for me this year, at least.

Trying to save for PAX East again.

• pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    So, Ubisoft are being silly geese again. Their PC port of From Dust was delayed to be after the console release and is apparently quite shoddy (capped at 30 FPS, no graphics options to make it look better), and they originally said that the DRM for the game would be a one-time online activation after installing. Then they changed it to an online check every time the game was run, but didn't actually tell anyone that until after releasing the game and people complained.

Original Ubisoft post:
    We are aware of some confusion over the inclusion of DRM in the release of From Dust on PC.

To prevent any on-going confusion we would like to clarify From Dust PC will release with DRM requiring a one-time only online activation. After which you will be able to play the game offline.

We hope this clears any outstanding confusion on the matter

With thanks

Follow-up post:
    Due to the recent confusion over the type of DRM used in From Dust:
    We are aware of some confusion over the inclusion of DRM in the release of From Dust on PC.

To prevent any on-going confusion we would like to clarify From Dust PC will release with DRM requiring a one-time only online activation. After which you will be able to play the game offline.

We hope this clears any outstanding confusion on the matter

With thanks
    Please find the following detailed explanation of the type of DRM used.

'From Dust' requires an internet connection when you start the game.

Make sure you are connected to the internet when you attempt to start the game.

After you have signed in and the game is running, you no longer need the internet connection for that session and can disconnect and play offline you so wish.

They quote the original post in the follow-up, which clearly says something completely different from what's in the follow-up.

Edit: Apparently Steam is offering refunds if you bought the game and are unhappy due to the DRM.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    JCRooks wrote:
    Oh, and to keep this post somewhat on-topic, here's the official response from MS regarding Japan:
    "No, of course we're not pulling out," Lewis explained in a recent interview with Eurogamer.

Clearly this means the Microsoft is not catholic.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    JCRooks wrote:

Ooh, I'll definitely try to remember to stop by. If my stupid passes ever get here that is.

• LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Well, the quotation is just ambiguous enough to let it slide. Technically (argh), he's right. It requires a one-time only online activation. He just omits that "clarification" to that it's one time per instance of the game.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Is From Dust requiring you to be online when you start some sort of great surprise to anyone?

I thought it was stated in numerous places that it used the Ubi-DRM, which for quite awhile now has involved an online check when you start the game. (Ever since they removed the "always online" part of the DRM months and months back, IIRC)

I mean, it kind of sucks if you were planning on playing From Dust on your laptop on a plane or something, but otherwise I don't know if I'll ever understand the outrage over DRM that requires you to be connected to the internet, especially if the game doesn't punish you for an unreliable connection by shutting down when your connection does. (This was the only actual problem with the old Ubi-DRM)

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Has anyone investigated why the Japanese market doesn't pick up on the 360?

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I thought Ubisoft is bring the "always online" shit back for some newer games they are releasing? It is fucking annoying because I have an internet connection that has been crap lately so always on games are pretty worthless to me right now.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:

Why would they pick up on the 360 instead of the PS3?

• AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Maddoc wrote:
    Is From Dust requiring you to be online when you start some sort of great surprise to anyone?

I thought it was stated in numerous places that it used the Ubi-DRM, which for quite awhile now has involved an online check when you start the game. (Ever since they removed the "always online" part of the DRM months and months back, IIRC)

I mean, it kind of sucks if you were planning on playing From Dust on your laptop on a plane or something, but otherwise I don't know if I'll ever understand the outrage over DRM that requires you to be connected to the internet, especially if the game doesn't punish you for an unreliable connection by shutting down when your connection does. (This was the only actual problem with the old Ubi-DRM)

Previously, they stated on the forums that the DRM was only for the first activation.

And as someone who travels a bit, it can be a bitch at times. One time I forgot to reboot Steam into offline mode and I was sad for the plane trip. No Terraria.

My home PC is also wireless, so while my connection is solid to the house, the connection to the PC can stutter sometimes. In games like WoW, this is not a problem because the client catches up. For ACII, boom, you're done. And then it reloads you back where you were. Annoying.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote:
    Henroid wrote:

Why would they pick up on the 360 instead of the PS3?

Why, the XBox Live Experience, Couscous!

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:

Racism.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I can't wait to see where the thread goes now.

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Edit: I should learn to read

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    JCRooks wrote:

I should have made some sort of "That's what she said" reference, but it doesn't really work in this case. :)

Maddoc wrote:

Previously, they stated on the forums that the DRM was only for the first activation.

And as someone who travels a bit, it can be a bitch at times. One time I forgot to reboot Steam into offline mode and I was sad for the plane trip. No Terraria.

My home PC is also wireless, so while my connection is solid to the house, the connection to the PC can stutter sometimes. In games like WoW, this is not a problem because the client catches up. For ACII, boom, you're done. And then it reloads you back where you were. Annoying.

I thought ACII had been moved over to the current less restrictive "check on launch" DRM?

Either way, stuttering internet connection won't affect From Dust in the slightest, because it only checks when you launch the game. It doesn't solve the other issue of not being able to play it in a place that you can't get an internet connection at launch, and doesn't solve the other unrelated issues of it being a shitty lazy port, but there you go.

JCRooks wrote:
    JCRooks wrote:

I should have made some sort of "That's what she said" reference, but it doesn't really work in this case. :)

SC pretty much handled it the only way appropriate.

So Gamestop is having to settle for slightly less huge profits.
    GameStop started its fiscal year with a spring in its step, reporting record sales and surging profits for the February-April quarter. The specialty retailer's fortunes have reversed of late, as today GameStop reported second quarter results showing revenues and net income sliding year-over-year.

For the three months ended July 30, GameStop posted sales of $1.74 billion, down 3.1 percent year-over-year. Net income was also off nearly 25 percent, with the chain reporting $30.9 million in profits for the quarter, down from $40.3 million in the same period the year prior.

Despite the down numbers, GameStop pointed to some positive trends. First and foremost, it noted that digital revenues are up a considerable 69 percent, with used game sales jumping 12 percent year-over-year. Given the larger profit margins on both those categories compared to new boxed titles, the company as a whole reported the highest margin rate in five years.

As for those new systems and boxed games, they still made up just over half of GameStop's sales for the quarter. On the games front, the company reported its five best-selling titles were L.A. Noire, NCAA Football 12, Infamous 2, Brink, and Mortal Kombat.

In a post-earnings conference call, GameStop CEO Paul Raines said the growth of downloadable content is driving a new cycle in the pre-owned games business, and that he expects regular DLC launches for all major titles in the future. GameStop president Tony Bartel added that GameStop is actually helping push DLC acceptance among consumers. GameStop has found about half the customers who purchase DLC through its retail locations have never tried DLC previously.

The growth of DLC isn't the only source of optimism for GameStop. Bartel said the company expects to have more games with 1 million preorders or more between now and the January end of the company's fiscal year than it has had in its entire history.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6329863/gamestop-sales-profits-sink-by-millions?tag=newstop;title;2

Huh. Looks like GameStop is helping Sony and Microsoft (and Nintendo, I guess) in their quest to get people to realize they can download stuff.

• V FactionV Faction Registered User regular

Due to the unexpected late demand for Xenoblade Chronicles the publisher has experienced great stock shortages of this title

Good. Good!

Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
    I'm going to strangely enjoy watching Nintendo of America decide to localize it after seeing it do well in Europe, and have it sell ten copies total over here.

Maddoc wrote:
    I'm going to strangely enjoy watching Nintendo of America decide to localize it after seeing it do well in Europe, and have it sell ten copies total over here.

Dare I ask why?

Schadenfreude, mainly

• BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Maddoc wrote:

Dare I ask why?

I'm going to go with Spite for $10!

Bonepart on
    XBL Gamertag: Ipori
    Basically, yeah.

I mean, regardless of what they decide to do I'll have my copy in hand. So watching them flounder around like idiots is at least mildly amusing.

edited August 2011
    Of course if they do release it and it only sells 10 copies, it would turn out their original decision not to publish was right.

The real time to point and laugh is if the game becomes a success over here, since they'll look totally wrong... although that sting will be lessened somewhat by all the money they'll make.

So... doom?

cloudeagle on
  • themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    Ziggymon wrote:
    Retailers in the future will want some serious money offers to even get any retail space in future.
    I don't think we're going to have brick and mortar retailers in the future. Once software is off the table all you have left is low margin hardware.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Of course if they do release it and it only sells 10 copies, it would turn out their original decision not to publish was right.

The real time to point and laugh is if the game becomes a success over here, since they'll look totally wrong... although that sting will be lessened somewhat by all the money they'll make.

So... doom?

Were they actually right if they engineered circumstances to tank their own sales?

Either way I've got no doubt that if they do decide to release it over here, people importing early will put a significant dent in its sales here.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    See, I'd enjoy it too, but not out of spite for Nintendo. Just general... sadism I guess?

I'd love if, in the future, RandomNicheRPGVII comes out and isn't going to be localized. The masses will rise up and shout out "Why aren't you bringing this over? You're bad and we hate youuuuu!" And then Reggie steps out with a copy of Xenoblade and the sales figures and says "Do you see this? You see it? *SMACK* This is the sound of you shutting the fuck up. Peace out, bitches.".

Not that I have any vested interest either way. I'd just think it would be funny.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Ziggymon wrote:
    Retailers in the future will want some serious money offers to even get any retail space in future.
    I don't think we're going to have brick and mortar retailers in the future. Once software is off the table all you have left is low margin hardware.

There will always be a public desire for brick and mortar retail outlets, never under estimate the average persons desire to purchase a physical product and get the customer service to feel satisfied about buying it.

Anyway Microsoft will want to have a stronger hold on the Japanese market because if these developers start making software for a Microsoft console from the off, Microsoft won't have to money hat to get these developers to port titles over (Though considering how badly Sony was dealing with the early PS3 days Microsoft could have just held out a little longer and saved far more money).

This discussion has been closed.