As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 4e] The End of the World is Nigh (and getting Nigher) (OOC)

• The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    It's not our fault you're an abomination!

Also I did not give Demon Lady a free pass!

• SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    I'm still waiting on demon lady to show us the satchel.

The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • RazorwiredRazorwired Registered User regular
    Well anyone else got ideas on how to get through the city? Personally I'm voting for the high road. Kaz has a decent Bluff skill if guards raise a fuss and there's better stuff to steal more security than the poor areas.

• wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    is there much difference between the two bridges, in terms of getting safely across the river?

and whatever we do, let's stay the hell away from that half-elf and his stories. :)

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Note to self: pickup Water Walk ritual when you get the chance.

Low Road seems like a faster route, though it brings us closer to the government (which is likely to be patrolled with guards).

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    Can't Mazda just make the guards think that more Aetheropods have shown up while we casually walk by the posts?

• Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    wildwood wrote:
    is there much difference between the two bridges, in terms of getting safely across the river?

Not as far as you know.

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Razorwired wrote:
    Can't Mazda just make the guards think that more Aetheropods have shown up while we casually walk by the posts?

Spectral Image is currently one of my un-memorized spellbook powers. Would need an extended rest.

I can create some fireworks as a distraction though. Alternatively bluff them with some cantrips.

Characters
    Should we post our questions HERE or in the other thread?

• Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    If you don't have anything to say IC, then here is fine. Or you can do it there and just put it in a spoiler.

The short route does bring us in contact with the water multiple times, in case there are other maws to worry about.

If people are panicking and fleeing the city, then crossing the radial roads will be tricky, especially taking the long way around.

And who knows which areas would be more prone to anarchy and looting. The poorer areas are probably more lawless, but the heavy-duty commercial areas probably have more private muscle.

So, to sum up, I don't know. Either way will be hard. I'm open to either, but leaning toward the shortest route just because it's shortest.

edited August 2011
    Rolled a 19 (http://4e.orokos.com/roll/48017) to see if she's being truthful.

SkyCaptain on
    You think she's telling the truth.

Well the con artist and the honorable knight seem to be getting along famously :P

edited August 2011
    How big are the aetheropod bodies? Small enough to mount on someone's spear? Or lash to the front of a shield?

I'm thinking that might help up our 'badass' quotient.

wildwood on
    edited August 2011
    @razorwired Isn't it just the best 8->

@wildwood Haha, that's a sure "Don't fuck with us" sign: Strapping an old god spawn onto your goddamn shield.

The Muffin Man on
    edited August 2011
    wildwood wrote:
    How big are the aetheropod bodies? Small enough to mount on someone's spear? Or lash to the front of a shield?

I'm thinking that might help up our 'badass' quotient.

You may! You would probably need to trim the tentacles, which are between 4 and 10 feet long. The main body is about the size of a small- or medium-sized barrel.

Although given its amorphousness, its semi-transparency, and the fact that it's only barely a solid, it may end up just looking like something very large sneezed on your shield. Sneezed something that smells like rapidly decaying seafood. Have you ever seen a jellyfish that's been stranded on the beach? That's what you're dealing with.

2838148999_b6cc1f2bcb_b.jpg

Tiger Burning on
    We could pretend to be snot merchants! :)

edited August 2011
    Tiger Burning on
    Well all I know is my heart says maybe.

I'm down with whatever route our most vocal member decides to take us on, helping along the way in case he leads us into certain doom.

Characters
    Well there goes my plan of bribing our way into the rich areas, knocking out some old man, and bluffing our way into his carriage.

Double post for afk notice. PAX is this weekend. My posting will be a bit spotty Thursday through Sunday.

Yup, definitely picking up water walking next time.

Characters
    Critical intimidate! Is that like Andre the Giant's "Everybody move!" from the Princess Bride? :)

Crits only happen for attacks. Was still a nice roll.

Characters
    No, Crits don't work for initiative. Otherwise, a 20 is still an automatic success and a 1 is still an automatic failure.

That's fine, Aspen will just apply crit damage to the aetheropods in his mind... :)

No, Crits don't work for initiative. Otherwise, a 20 is still an automatic success and a 1 is still an automatic failure.

That only applies to attack rolls too.

Characters
    Cool google bomb on 'aetheropod', by the way - all the search results are for our game: http://www.google.com/search?q=aetheropod

It doesn't take much to google bomb something here at PA. It seems to be a popular spot for the googlebots. I can make a post with a unique combination of words and find it within hours sometimes.

Back from PAX. Did I miss anything cool?

Aegis wrote:

That only applies to attack rolls too.

Pretty sure Skill rolls, too.

Initiative is the only time that 1 and 20 are nothing but the value on the die (a creature with +25 Init and a natural 1 can be a creature with +4 init and a natural 20 every time)

Nope, nothing in the skills section that states skills have automatic success or failures on 1s and 20s. Only time such a thing is mentioned is for attack rolls.

In fact the DMG has a section on House Rules whereby automatic success/failure is given as an example of such a house rule.

Characters
    edited August 2011
    I'm assuming we aren't interested in starting a kerfuffle with some high and mighty merchant?

Aegis on
    Characters
    I totally am, but let's at least pretend we don't wanna stab high-and-mighty nobles.

edited August 2011
    Hmmm, I could fireworks but I'm not entirely sure what the best method would be for me to try and scare the people.

Then again, my fireworks do let me choose what the look like so I could always have them looking like a giant, flaming, rainbow skull of death.

Aegis on
    Characters
    I totally am, but let's at least pretend we don't wanna stab high-and-mighty nobles.

I'm down too, but mostly because he's got something really cool he's trying to scurry off with.

If we're aiming at the same target for completely different reasons that makes us friends now, right?

Well here goes nothing!

Characters
    Aspen has a sucky Bluff, so I won't have him try to sell it to the crowd further. :)