As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Post-[Phalla]ism: Phalla After Death - Game Over - Mages/Angels Victorious

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    yayyyyyy

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i've never been so disappointed to survive an entire game

liEt3nH.png
  • Wandering HeroWandering Hero Registered User regular
    My Role PM After Death
    Death takes you, and you are ready to begin your grim work. You must overwhelm the resistance of those who remain so you may let armageddon consume the world!

You have the following ability:

Apocalypse: You may kill one spirit marked player per day. If the person you select isn't spirit marked, the attack will fail and they will be spirit marked that night.

In addition, you can sense a couple...maybe a few? Well, at least some others that are mentally unstable enough to corrupt to your side, should they die. These few, however, have sensed your tug as well. Their mortality keeps them safe from you, and they know that. All this matters not: should they fall, by your efforts or another's, they *will* serve you.

Your win condition is as follows: Ensure the ghosts of armageddon equal or outnumber the remaining players by the time another game-ending victory condition is met.

Not today.
  • stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    You didn't survive. Only I did.
    Kind of...

stever777 on
    Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • corvidaecorvidae Registered User regular
    haha...i was killed by "everyone dies"....

wtf... hahahhahaha..

We had no idea that the guards were even-odd, BTW.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    I gotta admit, my win condition was pretty difficult with only two other people to absorb.

It would have had to come down to three people on the last day for me to win.

In any case I am not complaining. I really enjoyed this game :D

Not today.
  • Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Feel free to insult me if you think that "conversion abilities" include roles that automatically convert to a side after death :P

There were a lot of things that didn't work out as I expected, and the mafia were slightly overpowered compared to the village, especially the death thrall due to spirit abilities not working out the way I imagined. I'll get into this when I post a full roles list. Sadly in the end the village got into a failure cascade very similar to the kind I witnessed as a mafia member in persona phalla, going after other vocal players who they didn't agree with while the mafia just tried to avoid getting caught up in the bickering.

I'll post a more detailed explanation of my opinions when I unlock the host proboards and post a full list of roles in the game. In the meantime, I'm curious to hear of what you all thought of the game.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Dammit, INANTP, you were a villager?

I assumed you had either told me the truth, or you were an evil mafia liar.

• wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    Looks like eleven mafia in total for this game.

Ten, actually.

Great game. For some reason, I tend to find the vig roles especially satisfying... :)

Ten, actually.

Right, I was double-counting Locus there. Silly me.

http://wangpower.proboards.com/index.cgi

I'm pretty sure they aren't unlocked yet.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Peccavi wrote:
    Dammit, INANTP, you were a villager?

I assumed you had either told me the truth, or you were an evil mafia liar.

I was!

I thought "This is the stupidest gambit ever, there's no way he's not a villager trying to get neutrals to reveal to him", but at that point I was like "This village so desperately needs something good to happen and I'm just a villager so what the fuck I'll risk it."

liEt3nH.png
    kuhl, did you have an after-death role?

• stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    I really liked the post-death activities idea. Great concept. It was fun!

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    I'm not so sure how much the mafia was overpowered, and even if it was with a village with such terrible aim it shouldn't have mattered. There were so many days where multiple villagers would start up different bandwagons on different villagers, and we could just sit back and go "uh, ok!"

Also, I noticed lonelyahava tested corvidae's loyalty by asking him about self awareness. That was riskier that you would have realized, since the entire mafia was self aware.

I think I unlocked them correctly. Maybe.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Poo poo ca ca eddy

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited August 2011
    wildwood wrote:

Kuhlmeye was on my team working with me

Self aware was a passive ability that let you know your after death ability

Wandering Hero on
    Not today.
    Savant wrote:
    Also, I noticed lonelyahava tested corvidae's loyalty by asking him about self awareness. That was riskier that you would have realized, since the entire mafia was self aware.

What does "self aware" mean in this context? They knew they were mafia?

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I'm a car.t frog :D

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Oh, and I was right about the people who said "Look, sometimes you just gotta trust someone, so I'm trusting Rend" being mafia.

Relevant PM to Facetious:
    Wow, people just "trusting" Rend out of hand. Obvious mafia. Rend "not lying" doesn't stop him from being an evil mastermind. It's pretty obvious that the mafia realized that they just had to control the vote tonight, and decided to push a "Facetious is suspicious!" wagon.

On the other hand, I was wrong about Rend, Drez, and Wildwood. Win some, lose some.

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    wildwood wrote:
    Savant wrote:

What does "self aware" mean in this context? They knew they were mafia?

we knew what our after-death abilities were

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
    wildwood wrote:

Kuhlmeye was on my team working with me

Doing what? Seering? Marking?

I gotta admit, my win condition was pretty difficult with only two other people to absorb.

It would have had to come down to three people on the last day for me to win.

In any case I am not complaining. I really enjoyed this game :D

The Cultist had a ton of potential power in this game. At best you could have had three kills a night (Wildwood while dead would have had the unique ability of making an attack that counted as a living player's attack, not requiring a spirit mark), and you came pretty close regardless. Without the angels trying to work against you a player would have a significantly greater chance of winning with the role than your standard serial killer.

I had the greatest role PM
    The Abjurer!

Ghosts have terrified you since you were a small child. The thought of the dead, watching your every move, haunting and preying on the innocent, troubled your dreams for many years. As a result, you have spent much of your time at the Mages’ Guild working on defenses against the supernatural and spiritual. As ghosts do not exist, this hasn’t earned you much but the scorn and humiliation at the hands of your peers.

Then your colleagues discovered the Phalla Tribe.

You are about to become incredibly smug.

Your win condition remains unchanged. You gain the following abilities:

Spirit Guard: Once per night, you may choose one person to protect against an attack by a dead player.

Self-Aware: You're quite introspective, in tune with your needs and desires, especially of what you're not getting out of life. When you pass away, you believe that you will have the spirit ability of...

Community: You had plenty of close friends in your past life, but you always wished you truly belonged to something bigger, and generally had stronger links with the guild as a whole. Once per game, you may post a ghost vote, consisting only of the name of the person you wish to vote for. This vote counts double your normal vote. This ability does not prevent you from posting a regular ghost post (which cannot contain information relating to the game).

(for the villager version of this ability, replace guild with tribe in the text above)

/smug

• TmoiyTmoiy Registered User regular
    Wow, we pulled it off! Congrats to the mafia on a decisive victory. Many thanks to Rawkking and pigeonking for hosting - I enjoyed the game quite a bit! I'm curious what spirit abilities everyone had, since I thought that should have been an innate balancing factor in the game.

The angel role PM:
    You are actually...

The Angels

A long time ago the angels and demons made a pact, a binding agreement to not take sides in conflicts of the world of mortals. Magically bound by this agreement you cannot officially pick a side in the conflict between the Village of Phalla and the interlopers from the Mage Guild of Wangshire.

You fully intend to honor this agreement, even if the magic involved would force you otherwise. What concerns you is evidence that this turmoil could be hiding a darker threat which could threaten the entire world.

You and your partner have been dispatched by your master to this part of the world to locate and prevent the apocalypse... if it is even present here.

The angels are Ketbra, and Mr. Defecation. You know each other's identities and can trust each other to share the same win condition.

Abilities:

Once per night, Ketbra may bless someone with holy water.

Once per night, Mr. Defecation may talk to someone and gain a glimpse of their being.

You also possess the ability

Divine Bond: The two angels may communicate with each other via private communication regardless of whether they are alive or dead. Your ability to communicate with others remains the same.

Victory Condition: Prevent the apocalypse at all costs.

Talk results:
    You speak with kime's ghost. There were others in life who kime wanted to...see....observe....be with. But alas it never was to be. He now stalks others, marking them with the essence of the dead.

You find it impossible to even make conversation with the creature Wandering Hero has become, but still manage to gain some insight. He is consumed by a mad desire to end the world, homing in on those who are already vulnerable to the spirit world before destroying them. Even in failure he leaves a mark of his presence.

You try to talk with kuhlmeye, but he remains bound in madness by Wandering Hero and does not respond to you, instead haunting the living and leaving them touched by the dead.

You talk to wildwood. Despite his boastful attitude, you manage to detect a hidden insecurity. You briefly manage to get him to admit to a fear of a malevolent presence he has felt strongly for some time and his worry of being used as a murderous puppet by it before he attempts to downplay it as "not a big deal".

Baidol feels great dedication to his cause, willing to fight for it long after he stops moving, as well as an unbreakable connection.

While FecklessRogue has had plenty of close bonds he wishes for an even greater sense of community beyond the great bond he has.

Mr. D, it was a pleasure working with you. It sounds like many of our brainstorming ideas weren't that far off. I still want to know exactly what holy water did, though!

The Cultist had a ton of potential power in this game. At best you could have had three kills a night (Wildwood while dead would have had the unique ability of making an attack that counted as a living player's attack, not requiring a spirit mark), and you came pretty close regardless. Without the angels trying to work against you a player would have a significantly greater chance of winning with the role than your standard serial killer.

Wait, so if I died, I could have killed with impunity from beyond the grave? Dude. Maybe I should have gone over. :)

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Wildwood why did you killlll meeeee

• DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    SLyM wrote:
    I had the greatest role PM

:D vindication! (I wrote a bunch of the mafia special roles, and a few of the village ones)

unless that was sarcasm (the last sentence...wasn't supposed to be there)

Daypigeon on
    I was talking about being smug. What did you mean?

Also

Damn you, Roman

Not today.
  • DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    (for the villager version of this ability, replace guild with tribe in the text above)

wince

my bad

Daypigeon on
  • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    wildwood wrote:

Yes, I joined WH. I gained the ability to spirit mark 2 people per day.

PSN: the-K-flash
  • CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    Mafia Roleblock role PM:
    You are...
    The Nullifier!

Although you haven't got a talent for the big, flashy, kinds of magic, you've nonetheless eked out a prestigious position at the Mage's Guild due to your rather...unique abilities. It's always good to have someone who can get rid of that hailstorm in the basement, or close that pesky demonic portal that someone's opened up in the Dean's bathroom. And it's not as if anyone else has to know you have no idea how you're doing it, right?

Right?

Ability: Roleblock Once per day, you may roleblock one living player, preventing them from using any abilities they may possess.

Self-Aware: You're quite introspective, in tune with your needs and desires, especially of what you're not getting out of life. When you pass away, you believe that you will have the spirit ability of...

Community: You had plenty of close friends in your past life, but you always wished you truly belonged to something bigger, and generally had stronger links with the guild as a whole. Once per game, you may post a ghost vote, consisting only of the name of the person you wish to vote for. This vote counts double your normal vote. This ability does not prevent you from posting a regular ghost post (which cannot contain information relating to the game).

(for the village version of this ability, replace "guild" with "tribe")

Forgot to use my power TWICE this game. Sorry for forgetting guys :/

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
    I was kinda wondering about that. I never soft networked with anyone though so it didn't really matter much.

• corvidaecorvidae Registered User regular
    not gonna lie.

personally, i feel that the secondary/tertiary factions skewed the ratios a bit.

loved the after death mechanics.

loved the fact that i made it to the last day.

a little annoyed the network didn't trust me.

unsatisfied i didn't get to use my ghost power.

very unsatisfied i didn't get to use it in a very bombastic, blustery, overblown way that mislead ppl away from my real after-death abilities.

(sick of this part)-my first phalla, had fun, unsatisfied i didn't contribute to the "W", but i'll be around for more.

grudge votes saved in my brain, patterns of behaviour noted, i will evolve....

• LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    So close to making it to the end! Oh well. At least we got the victory! Well done fellow mages!

And thank you for the running the game Rawkking Goodguy and pigeonking! It was fun!