As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Post-[Phalla]ism: Phalla After Death - Game Over - Mages/Angels Victorious

• warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    I'm not sure really what happened this game. Granted I stopped paying attention after I died. I never got contacted after dying. So much for being a death seer lol.

ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • RedasaurRedasaur Registered User regular
    Incredibly frustrating as the seer to not find a mage until day 6, then get killed once I did.

The two neutrals killing villagers every single night didn't help much.

It was fun in spite of the frustration. Even when seering and voting for the people who weren't saying much, I was hitting the people who were just busy and didn't have time to devote to the game rather than the ones who were intentionally quiet mafia members. Pretty much everyone who was acting outwardly suspicious was village.

It was my first phalla, I was surprised to be the only seer among this many players. Thanks for running the game, Rawwking and pigeon.

• corvidaecorvidae Registered User regular
    haha, i was set to contact you this next day....

unfortunately "everyone dies" killed me before that point....

• RedasaurRedasaur Registered User regular
    Oh, and thanks for all the help on days 2 through 4 in particular, LonelyAhava. :) I'm glad I got to network with you, it helped being able to go over our theories.

• Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    corvidae wrote:
    haha, i was set to contact you this next day....

unfortunately "everyone dies" killed me before that point....

That was just a mafia kill :P

(role PMs and analysis still coming!)

• FecklessRogueFecklessRogue Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Thank you for running this Rawkking and Pigeon. It was a blast and the after death abilities were a nifty idea. Also, thank you to the other mafias members for letting me ride your coattails. Finally, thank you to everyone who didn't try to kill me. I've never gotten to live until the end of a game before. PhallAchievement unlocked!

FecklessRogue on
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Rawkking, would my Intimacy ability have worked on either the mafia or the neutrals? I probably should've asked that before contacting Facetious (though the village probably wouldn't have believed him even if he said that I couldn't contact him otherwise).

Yep.

Oh

Good

So Facetious could've been lying to me from the very beginning

edited August 2011
    http://postphallaism.proboards.com unlocked. Be warned that the stuff there isn't up to date; the only thing of interest is me ranting and raving at events in the game, for good or sometimes bad reasons.

host spreadsheet

Spirit Abilities List

(not a spirit ability) Self-Aware: You're quite introspective, in tune with your needs and desires, especially of what you're not getting out of life. When you pass away, you believe that you will have the spirit ability of...

(people with self-aware knew what their after death spirit abilities were before dying. This included all masons, the spirit walker, cultist, and a few vanillagers)
    Community: You had plenty of close friends in your past life, but you always wished you truly belonged to something bigger, and generally had stronger links with the tribe/guild as a whole. Once per game, you may post a ghost vote, consisting only of the name of the person you wish to vote for. This vote counts double/triple your normal vote. This ability does not prevent you from posting a regular ghost post (which cannot contain information relating to the game).

Intimacy: While a reasonably respected person in the public, you rarely got truly emotionally close with anyone, even your life partner. In death you try to achieve what you missed out on. Once per game you may PM the host with the name of another player to attempt to establish a permanent communication link, allowing you to communicate freely with this player regardless of whether he or she is dead or alive. The player and you will be informed that the link is established by the host if the ability succeeds.

Renown: Throughout life you have been more than happy to be the worker, helping out others with vital but important tasks. Though you have achieved much in life, somethings you wish you had been more well-known...more important. Once per game, you may post an additional ghost post that can have anything you want in it, including information related to the game, your suspicions, etc. The only thing you cannot include is a red vote: you are unable to vote and unable to mislead others into thinking you can vote.

Vengeance: Your death in this struggle was not necessary, you had so much more to do in life before it was cut short. You may take your frustrations out on the living: once per night for the first three nights after your death you may attempt to kill a spirit marked player. Should you successfully target a spirit marked target, you no longer may use this ability as you come to peace with your death.

Curiosity: There was so much you wished to learn in life, and now that you are dead you fear you have not learned nearly enough, causing you to haunt the living to learn more about them. Once per game you may learn the alignment and role name of a targeted player. However if they are spirit marked they will be much easier to observe, allowing you to learn everything about them.

Haunting: There were others in life who you wanted to...see....observe....be with. But alas it never was to be. Once per night you can pick a player to haunt, causing them to become spirit marked, making them more susceptible to many abilities of the dead.

Revenge: You are furious at how unjustly your life was cut short. You had so much to accomplish! You were destined for greatness!

You have gained a new win condition: slay your slayer. Once per night, target a player. If that player is the one who killed you, you will attempt to kill them. If that player is spirit marked, the kill will be unblockable.

You retain your old win condition, and may achieve victory with either win condition.

Possession: There's so much left to be said! You can't just rest like this! Once per night you may possess a player, effectively attempting to communicate with the living by giving them a post restriction for the entirety of the game day. Outright commands and otherwise blunt post restrictions will be ignored or modified (you can't give someone the vote restriction of "vote for player X" or otherwise impact their voting or targeting with abilities) and post restrictions are otherwise liable to be edited by the host. If a target you attempt to possess is spirit marked stronger post restrictions are less likely to be weakened as you more easily control them.

Comments on spirit abilities

Revenge was only assigned to one vanillager (Gumpy). I'm not sure if even having this ability was a good idea; at the least I should have made him self-aware so he was aware of being a revenge vig and could act as such (and potentially have the other players catch on). Might have been an example of only putting in something because it sounded cool to me without really considering its role in the game. The same could be said for Alegis’s ability, though he was self-aware and it turned out the village could have really used a mechanics seer result.

The fluff on spirit abilities are that they represent things you couldn't achieve in life. This was significant as a hint that vanillagers had the best spirit abilities from the unfulfilled desires due to spending their lives as commoners. Unfortunately I don't think it was easy to figure this out despite heavily hinting it in one of the narrations: I should have had more self-aware vanillagers and perhaps a spirit ability seer. Being able to discover this was important, as learning that vanillagers have the best spirit abilities would cast a lot of suspicion on romanqwerty's named role with a significantly powerful spirit ability, while the the majority of other named village roles had ghost posts, ghost votes, and in one case a single use of intimacy instead. Though strangely in this case romanqwerty actually told the network his ability had one use and despite having it noted down on their proboards, they didn't bat an eye when romanqwerty openly talked of contacting multiple people with his death ability.

I expected people to be able to form a semi-network of dead players as the game dragged to an end, chains of intimacy-linked dead players being contacted by corvidae. This was why I included romanqwerty to disrupt what I imagined was a powerful end-game tool. This was a bit foolish: there were only a few intimacy villagers and they mostly just connected with the network head, preventing abilities like curiosity seers from reaching the living and vengeance kills being directed to players spirit marked by roles marked by haunting villagers, in addition to corvidae not being able to figure out that it would be a good idea to contact vanillagers. If ran this again I'd probably give two players corvidae's role and give intimacy players two uses of their abilities or otherwise increase the ability of contacting dead players.

I really should have known that people with possession would just use their abilities for fun, instead of trying to point someone out as a vote target by making them act suspiciously. whoops.

Roles

Finalized role layout:

50 players
    Neutral
    1 Cultist (self-aware, no active ability, only knows his SK spirit ability of kill/mark 1 target or 2 targets depending on if he dies to the vote. Learns how to recruit others on death, however.)
    1 Demon (triggerhappy vig, effectively keeps ability in death)
    1 Witch Doctor (spirit mark seer, mark 2 targets/night in death)
    2 Angels (self-aware (converse with each other on death), 1 spirit ability seer/night, 1 spirit mark removal/night. Abilities aren't clearly known unlike other roles in the game, receive fluffy responses to spirit ability seer and spirit mark removal known as blessing with holy water).

Ten Mafia (shared magic bond: able to communicate with each other even in death)
    2 group kills
    1 mafia spirit ability seer, spirit marks his targets. Self-aware, community (ghost vote)
    1 mafia roleblocker, self-aware, renown (ghost post)
    1 mafia spirit guard, self-aware, community (ghost vote)
    1 mafia death thrall, self-aware, improved intimacy (1 communications link/day)
    5 Vanilla Mafia with:
    vengeance 3x (1-time kill on spirit marked targets)
    curiosity 1x (ghost vote)
    possession 1x (post restrictions)

(perhaps three vengeance mafia was too much?)

35 Villagers
    1. 1 Vigilante, power is Community (ghost vote)
    2. 1 Vigilante, power is Renown (ghost post)
    3. 1 Seer, power is Community (ghost vote)
    4. 1 odd day guardian, power is Renown (ghost post)
    5. 1 even day guardian, power is Community (ghost vote)
    6. 1 spirit guardian, power is Renown (ghost post)
    7. 2 Masons, can communicate with each other after death
    8. 1 hunter (mark 1 target/turn), power is empathy (1-time link)
    9. 1 spirit walker (empathic link (able to talk to one dead player for a day once per day)), power is renown (ghost post)
    Rest are vanillagers.
    10, 11, 12, 13. 4 vengeance villagers (1 kill after death)
    14, 15. 2 curiosity villagers (1 seer after death)
    16, 17. 2 curiosity villagers (self-aware)
    18, 19. haunting villagers (1 mark/day after death)
    20, 21, 22, 23. Intimacy Villagers (permanent communications link with target
    24. Revenge villager (gets a neutral win condition to kill his slayer if not killed by SK, kill ability)
    25, 26, 27, 28. Community
    29. Community (self-aware)
    30, 31. Possession (post restrictions)
    32. Posession (self-aware)
    33. Self-Actualization: 1-Time mechanic seer /w narration jack
    34, 35. Renown villager

Going to dredge up the actual role PMs.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • TmoiyTmoiy Registered User regular
    This is also the first time I've survived to the end. w00t!

Being neutral helped. :D

Wow, Wandering Hero could have had two kills? Nasty. He probably would have won if the village voted him out day 1.

The angels didn't really accomplish anything, but luckily the mafia did really well. I guess we probably removed a couple of spirit marks given the number that were flying around.

Spirit marks were surprisingly complex. And I was definitely expecting more spirit walkers to make use of the death seers.

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Thanks for posting up the journal! It was an interesting read.

Good on Spoit for picking me out.
    This was my first mafia role, so I had some real fun watching it all unfold. I felt some pangs of guilt too!

VayBJ4e.png
  • Wandering HeroWandering Hero Registered User regular
    And somehow WH believes him that he is some sort of UNNAMED NEUTRAL instead of, welp, a THRALL.

Cause unnamed neutrals that need to kill something to win totes get death thrall powers, guys.

Hey, i'm not used to thralls, alright?!? :P

Not today.
    Also, forgot to mention how great the narrations were. They were excellent!

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Did I ever save savant?

I want to think I did.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    Nobody saved anybody with spirit guards or spirit mark removal this game.

blehhh

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    ouch

edited August 2011
    Neutral Roles

Angels group PM (SK countermeasure):
    You are actually...

The Angels

A long time ago the angels and demons made a pact, a binding agreement to not take sides in conflicts of the world of mortals. Magically bound by this agreement you cannot officially pick a side in the conflict between the Village of Phalla and the interlopers from the Mage Guild of Wangshire.

You fully intend to honor this agreement, even if the magic involved would force you otherwise. What concerns you is evidence that this turmoil could be hiding a darker threat which could threaten the entire world.

You and your partner have been dispatched by your master to this part of the world to locate and prevent the apocalypse... if it is even present here.

The angels are Ketbra, and Mr. Defecation. You know each other's identities and can trust each other to share the same win condition.

Abilities:

Once per night, Ketbra may bless someone with holy water.

Once per night, Mr. Defecation may talk to someone and gain a glimpse of their being.

You also possess the ability

Divine Bond: The two angels may communicate with each other via private communication regardless of whether they are alive or dead. Your ability to communicate with others remains the same.

Victory Condition: Prevent the apocalypse at all costs.

Demon (neutral triggerhappy vig + possible SK ally)
    You are actually...

The Demon

A long time ago the angels and demons made a pact, a binding agreement to not take sides in conflicts of the world of mortals. Magically bound by this agreement you cannot officially pick a side in the conflict between the Village of Phalla and the interlopers from the Mage Guild of Wangshire.

Naturally, that doesn't prevent you from killing for fun. In the chaos that's sure to erupt, it'll be almost impossible to stop you! And if you end up accidentally helping one side or the other, so what? It happens.

However, in the spiritual nexus of this battlefield you have felt another presence, calling to you. Its strength is such that it can intimidate even a demon like you.

You possess the following ability

Mayhem: Once per night you will use a physical kill on one living player of your choice.

Restriction: You crave destruction, it's in your nature. You MUST attempt to kill someone every night. If you do not submit an order a random target will be selected.

Victory Condition: Survive till the end of the game.

You can barely resist that presence on the battlefield as it is. If you die it will consume you, and you will receive a new goal.

Witch Doctor PM (survival neutral spirit mark seer + possible SK ally)
    You are actually...

The Mad Witch Doctor

A hermit, you live by yourself in a shack a good ways away from the village, offering your services to those willing to accept them.

Mostly these services involve using drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. Good times.

However, you can't say they haven't affected you. Lately you've felt a tug from some other soul out there. At times it worries you. The drugs help with these worries.

Ability: Once per day you may examine someone's connection to the spirit world, determining if they have been spirit marked.

Victory Condition: Survive till the end of the game.

If you die, you will be unable to resist the tug. In death, you will receive a new goal.

Cultist PM (village idiot + SK)
    You are actually...
    The Cultist

You used to be a normal member in the tribe of phalla, but then something snapped. Maybe you just couldn't fit in. Maybe you had to give up your dreams. Maybe you worked yourself to exhaustion. Maybe too many sessions with the peace pipe left you unhinged.

Or-ok, who are we kidding. Whatever problems you had before, they were nothing compared to the strange book you found in a deserted tomb. It drained you of all your humanity, and now all that you want is to destroy.

To do that, you need to die. Preferably while infused with as many angry emotions as possible. Then you can enact the next phase of your plan.

While alive, you have no abilities except for the following passive ability:

Self-Aware: You're quite introspective, in tune with your needs and desires, especially of what you're not getting out of life. When you pass away, you believe that you will have the spirit ability of...

Apocalypse: You may kill one spirit marked player per day. If the person you select isn't spirit marked, the attack will fail and they will be spirit marked that night.

If you die to the vote, you will be able to target twice as many people with your spirit ability every night. This boost will last for the entire game.

Victory Condition: Die, then cause Armageddon before another game-ending win condition is met. More information will be provided when you accomplish the former.
    Cultist post-death:
    Death takes you, and you are ready to begin your grim work. You must overwhelm the resistance of those who remain so you may let armageddon consume the world!

You have the following ability:

Apocalypse: You may kill one spirit marked player per day. If the person you select isn't spirit marked, the attack will fail and they will be spirit marked that night.

In addition, you can sense a couple...maybe a few? Well, at least some others that are mentally unstable enough to corrupt to your side, should they die. These few, however, have sensed your tug as well. Their mortality keeps them safe from you, and they know that. All this matters not: should they fall, by your efforts or another's, they *will* serve you.

Your win condition is as follows: Ensure the ghosts of armageddon equal or outnumber the remaining players by the time another game-ending victory condition is met.
    Kuhlmeye’s death
    In death, the last shards of Kuhlmeye's sanity are removed. He now serves you.

Kuhlmeye has the following spirit ability:

Madness: Once per night, choose two targets to spirit mark.

The Forces of the apocalypse have gained the following ability:

Grim Bond: Wandering Hero and Kuhlmeye may communicate freely with each other via PM. Should anyone else join you, they will be added to the bond.

Kuhlmeye's and Wandering Hero's win condition is now as follows:

Ensure the ghosts of armageddon equal or outnumber the remaining players by the time another game-ending victory condition is met. (2 players, currently)

(as a preemptive clarification, spirit marking occurs first in the order of actions)

(should wildwood have died before the game ended he would have been described as being taken over by Rage, gaining the ability Rage: Manifest and kill one target/night with a physical attack)

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    So.. sorry, Drez. :P (And Rend!)

Just for the record, I was the one who killed Savant. Clearly, this makes up for every single other of my failings in this game.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
    I still can't fucking believe that people actually killed WH though.

Real strong, facetious.

edited August 2011
    I didn't expect anybody to really not kill WH honestly. If anything he'd just be seered as black later and probably killed unless the angels were incredibly savvy. The important thing everyone accomplished was to NOT give him a vote death which would have really helped him out.

(And I'll admit I drew a lot of inspiration for the cultist role from infiblarney's PHA/LLA main)

Rawkking Goodguy on
    facetious wrote:
    So.. sorry, Drez. :P (And Rend!)

Just for the record, I was the one who killed Savant. Clearly, this makes up for every single other of my failings in this game.

To be fair, I specifically told you to kill Drez, too.

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Really only one person killed him.

• kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    First off, fun game. I had a blast watching the village self destruct as an Armageddon Ghost. Also, Rawkking, this was a very good game. I really enjoy the idea of post-death abilities, since it keeps people involved. Usually after I die in a game, it's lights out until the game is over and I say "GG!". This was great and kept dead people involved. Like I said before, fun game.

The only bad part, is that it looks like WH and I essentially needed the game to last as long as it could. Especially since there was what, 1 other person that would join us? We were pretty done in by a couple days ago.

Just for records, here is the PM conversation between me and WH.
    kuhlmeye August 14
    Woo! Armageddon team! This is exciting. I know that Jason Todd has been spirit marked.

Do spirit marks carry over day to day? Can spirit mark kills be blocked?

Rawkking Goodguy August 14
    Yes.
    Clarification denied.

Wandering Hero August 14
    Sup kuhmeye, welcome to the undead

I have one kill per day as long as that person is spirit marked. Spirit marks are permanent. Ill get my list of those I have been keeping track of so far in a bit.

Apparently there is a hidden mafia we have to kill and "convert" if we make them outnumber everyone else before one of the living teams wins, we win.

Uh...the ghosts of the armageddon are you guys.

Wandering Hero August 14
    Huh, yeah I know? But we don't know who of the living are the ghosts

1. Ahava
    2. Spoit
    4. Stever777
    5. Ketbra
    6. Infidel
    8. wildwood
    11. INANTP (I Needed a Name to Post)
    12. Romanqwerty
    13. The Anonymous
    14. Facetious
    15. Mr. Defecation
    16. Langly
    19. Redasaur
    20. Peccavi
    21. Cythraul
    23. SLyM
    24. SeGaTai
    25. REG Rysk
    26. Baidol
    28. Lucedes
    29. Alegis
    31. 101
    35. Extermatott
    36. Jason Todd
    37. Kingmole
    38. Virgil_Leads_You
    39. FecklessRogue
    41. Drez
    43. Corvidae
    44. Freeagent
    45. Jdarksun
    46. Locus
    47. Rend
    48. Zerinan
    49. Retaba
    50. Gumpy

Ah alright. And I think you mean you don't know who among the living could join you. Kuhlmeye didn't count as a member of your team before he died.

Wandering Hero August 14
    Heh sorry, yes, I meant it like that. It's been a tiring day.

In any case, those crossed out on the list are already spirit marked.

I've been wondering this, Kuhmeye, did you get any hints about this before you died?

kuhlmeye August 15
    My PM said I would have a New Goal after I died.

Wandering Hero August 15
    Wow things sure are getting heated up there.

So if they know they have a new goal after they died, maybe they have let on somehow. Going to go back and read the thread.

Soon, though, we will probably need to help the village if we don't want the mafia to win. Any suggestions on a kill target? Since marking comes first, you can mark them and then I can kill them.

Wandering Hero August 15
    Since the mafia are in a commanding lead, I think we need to start helping the villagers. Unless Kuhm has any better suggestions:

Day 4 kill: Infidel

Kuhlm if you'd mark him that would be great, and if by chance you aren't around before vote close I will change it someone already marked. It seems Drez and him are just being distracting to the village and I think Drez will be targetted tonight.

I have confidence in leaving the other mark to your best judgement.

kuhlmeye August 15
    Let's mark SLyM and Infidel

I wouldn't be surprised if slym waited until day 3 to mafia kill me.

kuhlmeye August 15
    Haha, this is going terribly for the village.

My suspicions:
    Langly
    SLyM
    apparently corvidae is possibility?
    Redasaur is looking possible based on his post after the narration
    Maybe ahava? She's been very quiet this game.

I'll put marks on Langly and Ahava tonight.

Wandering Hero August 16
    SLyM sounds like a good choice for today.

Wandering Hero August 16
    And yes, they are doing not so great. I feel bad almost because they keep getting distracted in trying to figure us out when there's nothing they can do about it and should just focus completely on mafia.

Wandering Hero August 16
    Day 5 kill: SLyM

Wandering Hero August 16
    Mr. Defecation revealed as an angel. An anti-us. It sounds like a made up role so my opinion is we test it tomorrow.

kuhlmeye August 16
    Yeah, angel doesn't fit at all. I'm fine with testing it.

Wandering Hero August 16
    Some more thoughts, I think Rend wants to die. I want to say demons also don't exist and he has been broadcasting that the whole time hoping to get voted out or killed.

I actually assumed someone would kill him by now so I haven't bothered. We will see.

Wandering Hero August 16
    Very nice call kuhlm.

Now if only we could set the village straight on where credit is due.

Wandering Hero August 16
    Langly wrote:
    WOOO

The guy bringing about the apocalypse killed one for us

Wooooooo

Now... what role could Langly have that might allow to him to have some gleaning of our win condition? As far as I know, no one else should know this.

Did I forget and it was mentioned in the narration somewhere? Because I don't think so.

Wandering Hero August 16
    I know I am just typing to myself but I like to keep my team mates in the loop so I tend to type out loud a lot.

Romanqwerty contacted me. Apparently he says that:

1. He is not village aligned, though the village thinks so
    2. He can communicate with the living and the dead (I guess 1 "connection" per day)
    3. For his win condition he needs certain people that he knows by their role names to die

In exchange of killing some people for him, I am going to have him looking for people whose role pms hinted at their win condition changing after they die.

Now, going by our win condition we are not on his side. Against him, actually, since we need to win before any other win condition happens, including his, I assume. I have no idea how far along he is, but we are not doing so great so I'd prefer we try and kill as few people of his targets as possible while still being able to take as large advantage of any information we get from him as we can.

I am truly wondering how many of our team mates are out there, though. Maybe three more, with maybe one in the mafia? I'd imagine with so many villagers having died now that if it was any more than that then odds are we should have another team mate by now.

In any case, with that I am going to sleep hopefully so I won't be spamming anymore. Calling the target now, though I am having doubts on it so hopefully we can find a better target tomorrow before vote close.

Day 6 kill: Mr. Defecation

kuhlmeye August 17
    So. Let's say that MR.D is telling the truth (just for fun.) Right now it seems all he can do (at least all he's said) is remove spirit marks. Good thing is, we can stay one step ahead, since we can put a spirit mark on someone and kill them the same night. I would be worried, if he is telling the truth, what he can do when he dies. I would think he would get some sort of real roleblock against us, or something similar. Makes me think maybe we should leave him alive? Or maybe he is one of the people we need dead. I don't know.

As far as roman is concerned, is that a game stopping win condition? Our win condition states that we need >= # of people when the game ends. Makes me think we need to focus on extending the game as long as possible. Does he know who he needs to kill? If he needs to kill people in the mafia, that would help.

I'm sticking by my "langly is a mafia" stance. Tonight I'll mark Redasaur and Mr. D

Wandering Hero August 17
    No he doesn't know. And I agree with you on keeping Mr. Defecation alive. Since maybe angels are allied against us then maybe demons might be allied with us? Worth a shot?

Also, while I think the village is in a sore spot, I don't think we should waste much more effort hunting mafia at this point. We got one and that will hopefully get the ball rolling and get them some voting records. I think perhaps we should be focusing on our own win condition at this point.

Gonna be away from the computer so just going to change my target now.

Day 6 kill: Rend

kuhlmeye August 17
    I'll change my marks to Rend and Alegis. He hinted about knowing his after death ability, perhaps that is somewhere to look.

Wandering Hero August 17
    Did you know yours?

kuhlmeye August 17
    I only knew I would get a new goal. Nothing more.

Rawkking Goodguy August 17
    I'll add that Kuhlmeye's original PM had the words "new goal" were in bolded, color=black text. It would have been a lot more noticeable on the old forums which this game was designed for where the default text color was white.

kuhlmeye August 17
    Yes, using Ye Olde Style it was noticeable that it was likely a serial killer type role.

Wandering Hero August 17
    Ye Olde Style here, too!

Kuhl can you bold your targets or something in the future? Got you as Rend and Alegis for now.

kuhlmeye August 17
    Oh yeah, sorry. I can for sure do that.

kuhlmeye August 17
    Also, rawkking, How boned is the village?

Clarification denied~

Wandering Hero August 17
    Wow

So boned. And still no extra team mate. I am worried.

kuhlmeye August 17
    Yes, I don't know if we'll be pulling this one out. There's only gotta be a couple others who can join us. We need to find them fast.

kuhlmeye August 17
    I think we need to reap a mafia member tonight to buy the village (and us) some more time.

Wandering Hero August 18
    Agreed. I think Baidol is mafia (as he certainly isn't working with us... yet), though he has a wagon on him currently so hopefully the village will stick with that.

I am open to suggestions as to who might be mafia that we can kill tonight.

(Ugh, rawking if you saw what I did, feel free to call me an idiot. That's what I get for replying to PMs at 4am in the morning)

kuhlmeye August 18
    Yeah, I highly doubt that baidol is the axeman, nor do I buy his working for Armageddon. I don't think anybody alive would know they are working with you. I'll take a look at the thread and pick a couple out.

Wandering Hero August 18
    Man, where are the village seers not to mention those after death seerings. Someone should have something definite by now.

Wandering Hero August 18
    Hmm, I am inclined to kill Baidol tonight if the bandwagon moves off of him.

Wandering Hero August 18
    Actually, the voting is currently:

Baidol (12): Redasaur, Lucedes, Virgil, Wildwood, Mr D, Savant, Jason Todd, Stever777, KingMole, REG Rysk, Alegis, jdarksun,
    Virgil (2): Spoit, Drez

So it's unlikely the vote will move off of him. Also, given the fact that the bandwagon has piled upon Baidol with very little votes elsewhere, I don't think he is mafia. Some of the 9 mafia I think would be more inclined to throw the vote away on someone else if Baidol was mafia.

Wandering Hero August 18
    Gonna try and go for the people still alive that have just been staying quiet.

Day 7 kill: Alegis

Any objections?

kuhlmeye August 18
    Yeah, Alegis is fine. My other suggestion might have been wildwood, the competing bandwagon from yesterday.

I'll mark Alegis and wildwood

kuhlmeye August 18
    Eh, I'll just put those in red as well

Day 7 marks:
    Alegis, Wildwood

Wandering Hero August 18
    I've got a lead on the axeman who it seems will join us when he dies. If you can before vote close, switch your wildwood mark to Mr Defecation and I will switch my kill to him.

Hopefully that will get us a name of the axeman.

kuhlmeye August 18
    Switch Mark on Wildwood -> Mr. D

Wandering Hero August 18
    Day 7 kill switched from Alegis to Mr. Defecation

Wandering Hero August 18
    Ok, good work. I love when a team runs smoothly.

Heres the background on that switch

"i've used my "talk" ability to find out about the persons soul on both of them

for the axe man it says he's haunted by an evil spirit that drives him to do these things and that it will gain full control on his death

for baidol it says that he has many friends and will pursue his cause even in death"

Roman says if we kill Mr D he will give us the name of the axeman. To me that looks like the Axeman is one of ours.

kuhlmeye August 18
    I am fine with this then. Hopefully Baidol is mafia and we get some more time. Though that sort of gives baidol's story more credence.

kuhlmeye August 18
    So, I'm wondering if Baidol has the same sort of deal you did, where if he gets voted out he has more post-death power than he would otherwise.

Wandering Hero August 18
    Perhaps. Though at this point he probably waited too long if that was his goal.

But no idea.

kuhlmeye August 18
    Pretty much. I just hoped they got at least 1 mafia tonight.

Wandering Hero August 18
    I have a bad feeling about killing Mr. D. Hopefully he does not have a way of blocking me. I don't trust roman, and hopefully he doesn't warn anyone who can do anything about this next kill.

In any case, Ive been led to believe the axe man is

Day 8 kill: REG Rysk

kuhlmeye 8:05AM
    Day 8 Marks:

reg rysk, wildwood

Wandering Hero 12:54PM
    Here is who I think mafia are so far
    Lucedes
    Wildwood
    Corvidae
    Tmoiy

Stever777 I am pretty positive is village.

PSN: the-K-flash
    Well yeah but that's why the SK role is so difficult. It's meant to be tough.

You actually had more of a chance than some others. (Langly.)

Real strong, facetious.

Also how have I never been seered? Ever?
    I'm always suspicious but nobody ever seers me!

Real strong, facetious.

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I found that killing everyone helped immensely.

• SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    That SK role was easier to win with than typical SK roles, since you could build up allies and extra kills beyond the grave. You just needed the game to get close enough to win, but that wasn't going to happen with the way things lined up at the end there.

edited August 2011
    If it isn't obvious, the reason the angels have fluff ability descriptions is that if they knew exactly how their powers worked they would have been able to easily figure out what the apocalypse faction relied on (spirit abilities and spirit marking), and probably could have epic revealed on day 1 to keep wandering hero from ever dying. They were able to puzzle through it pretty well, accurately guessing what their abilities did and figuring out they needed to protect wildwood in the end.

Rawkking Goodguy on
    Agreed, an extra kill could have probably allowed us to either get wildwood earlier or kill some extra mafia since we had suspicions on them but something kept coming up (or at the end there was maniped by roman) that made others priorities. That was completely due to my inability to have a convincing gambit on day one (which I felt was the best time to make it because of the lack of knowledge all around there), but that was my bad.

Village basically tearing itself apart did not help, either.

Not today.
    edited August 2011
    Village Specials

Tribal Seer:
    You are actually...

A Tribal Seer

Visions from the past fill your mind. Your ancestors watch over you, allowing you to discern who is good and who is...evil.

Or maybe you're just more perceptive than the average villager.

Your win condition does not change. You gain the following ability:

Seer: Once per night, target a player. You will learn that player's role and alignment.
    Spirit Guardian (protect against dead player attacks)
    You are actually...

A Spirit Guardian

In your tribe, the spirits of the dead interact with the living on a frequent basis. They can direct your actions, bring wisdom from beyond the veil… and unfortunately, sometimes they’re a little more catty and violent about things. As such, you’ve taken it upon yourself to defend others from those ghosts that may have some unfinished business beyond relating the location of the family spear. You probably could have picked an easier job.

Spirit Guard: Once per night, you may choose one person to protect against an attack by a dead player.
    Chieftain’s Wife and Chieftain (masons, can talk after death)
    You are actually...

The Chieftain's Wife and Chieftain!

Although Drez is viewed by all as the leader of the tribe, you both know it's a group effort. You know each other to be Capfalcon, The Chieftain's Wife and Drez, the Chieftain and can trust each other to share the same village alignment.

You also possess the following passive ability

Self-Aware: You're quite introspective, in tune with your needs and desires, especially of what you're not getting out of life. When you pass away, you believe that you will have the spirit ability of...

Intimacy Linked: Nothing can keep you away from each other. You can always communicate with each other through PMs regardless of whether you are alive or dead.
    Tribal Warrior x2 (vigilante)
    You are actually…
    A Tribal Warrior!
    Sometimes, somebody just needs a good club to the head. A wild animal, a crazed outcast, shaman who’s begun to use their power for evil, or even just feuding neighbors. Delivering this service is your job.

You enjoy this job a lot.

Club: Once per night, you may attempt to kill one living player.
    Spirit Stalker (spirit marking villager)
    You are actually...

A Spirit Stalker!

You keep to the shadows. Always in the shadows. It's where the ghosts are, where you feel comfortable. Sometimes you find others that seem suspicious, and feel that maybe the ghosts should make them feel comfortable as well?

Your win condition does not change. You gain the following ability.

Mark: Once per night, you may spirit mark a target. This makes them more susceptible to the various abilities of the dead.
    Even/odd guardians (1 each, protect from living player attacks)
    You are actually...

A Guardian!

Sometimes, people go around trying to club each other in the head. This is pretty bad for the economy. So, it’s a good idea to have someone in the tribe talented enough to knock the spears or axes out of their hands before said hands get all messy. And now you're supposed to protect the tribe against fireballs?

This is a very stressful job.

Your win condition does not change. You gain the following ability.

Guard: On even numbered days (2, 4, 6, etc.), you may protect someone from a living player's kill attempt.
    Spirit walker (talk to dead people 1/night)
    You are actually...

A Spirit Walker!

While many in your tribe have a connection with the spirit world, yours is closer than most. Perhaps a little too close, if truth be told- dead people aren’t always the most cheerful folks you could converse with. Still, much knowledge can be gained from the deceased... knowledge that you suspect may come in handy in the coming days.

Your win condition remains unchanged. You gain the following abilities

Empathic Link: Once per day, PM the host with a dead player's name. You will attempt to establish an empathic link with that player, allowing you to communicate freely with that player through private messages for one game day. The host will inform both you and the player of the link's existence if it is established.

Renown: Throughout life you have been more than happy to be the worker, helping out others with vital but important tasks. Though you have achieved much in life, somethings you wish you had been more well-known...more important. Once per game, you may post an additional ghost post that can have anything you want in it, including information related to the game, your suspicions, etc. The only thing you cannot include is a red vote: you are unable to vote and unable to mislead others into thinking you can vote.

Mafia received copies of the spirit stalker and spirit guardian role PMs for their diviner and abjurer roles respectively. This is controversial to many but I want to run games where you can't rely on role PM fluff to network reliably (I did this in my sealab mini as well). I might include a warning in the OP relating to this in future games.

As mentioned earlier I think adding another spirit walker and a village aligned spirit ability seer would have really helped with the role I wanted spirit abilities to play in the game.

Rawkking Goodguy on
    Yeah, giving mafia cover roles seems like the way to go

Not today.
    edited August 2011
    Mafia group PM:
    You are actually…

A member of the Mage’s Guild of Wangshire
    Do those unkempt savages truly understand what they have here? A breakthrough in the necromantic arts that could revolutionize the wizarding world could lie in those megaliths! You will discovers the secrets the lie in these “ancestral sites”. Think of the common benefit! Think of the benefit to your career!

As a group, you possess two nightly physical kills, and all gain the ability

Magic Bond: You have established an unbreakable link between each other. Even in death you can continue communicate between other members of the mage's guild freely,. (Via PMs, proboards, or other forms of private communication. You cannot communicate with non-mafia after death unless you have another ability that lets you do so).

(you will all know the identity of your spirit ability, to be listed in your individual PMs)

Win condition: Eliminate the phalla tribe, or outnumber the remaining players in the game.
    (should have read equal or outnumber the remaining players, noticed this halfway through but didn’t want to correct it lest it become even more obvious they didn’t have to worry about wandering hero blocking their win condition)
    Mafia specials:
    Diviner (spirit ability seer/spirit marker)
    You are...

The Diviner!

Although you would have preferred to continue your studies from the relative comfort of the library, the Mages’ Council has decided to give you a little more field work- and that’s not a decision you contest, at least if you want tenure. Besides, the fresh air will probably do you good, and of course, someone has to keep a watchful eye on the younger students.

You are _very_ good at the watchful part. Maybe too good?

Ability: Divine: Once per night, you may learn the spirit ability of target player. Your method of seering leaves a spirit mark on the target.

Community: You had plenty of close friends in your past life, but you always wished you truly belonged to something bigger, and generally had stronger links with the guild as a whole. Once per game, you may post a ghost vote, consisting only of the name of the person you wish to vote for. This vote counts double your normal vote. This ability does not prevent you from posting a regular ghost post (which cannot contain information relating to the game).

(replace guild with tribe for village version)
    (came with spirit stalker role PM as well, yes they had very good cover roles.)

Abjurer (protect from dead player attacks)
    You are actually…
    The Abjurer!

Ghosts have terrified you since you were a small child. The thought of the dead, watching your every move, haunting and preying on the innocent, troubled your dreams for many years. As a result, you have spent much of your time at the Mages’ Guild working on defenses against the supernatural and spiritual. As ghosts do not exist, this hasn’t earned you much but the scorn and humiliation at the hands of your peers.

Then your colleagues discovered the Phalla Tribe.

You are about to become incredibly smug.

Your win condition remains unchanged. You gain the following abilities:

Spirit Guard: Once per night, you may choose one person to protect against an attack by a dead player.

Community: You had plenty of close friends in your past life, but you always wished you truly belonged to something bigger, and generally had stronger links with the guild as a whole. Once per game, you may post a ghost vote, consisting only of the name of the person you wish to vote for. This vote counts double your normal vote. This ability does not prevent you from posting a regular ghost post (which cannot contain information relating to the game).

(for the villager version of this ability, replace guild with tribe in the text above)
    (came with spirit guardian cover role)

Nullifier (living player roleblocker)
    You are...
    The Nullifier!

Although you haven't got a talent for the big, flashy, kinds of magic, you've nonetheless eked out a prestigious position at the Mage's Guild due to your rather...unique abilities. It's always good to have someone who can get rid of that hailstorm in the basement, or close that pesky demonic portal that someone's opened up in the Dean's bathroom. And it's not as if anyone else has to know you have no idea how you're doing it, right?

Right?

Ability: Roleblock Once per day, you may roleblock one living player, preventing them from using any abilities they may possess.

(for the village version of this ability, replace "guild" with "tribe")

Illusionist (death thrall + death messenger)
    You are actually...

The Illusionist!

Of course, as a master of deception, you were the Council's first choice for a mission such as this. Within a matter of hours, you prepared a potion that would make you the spitting image of one of these foul-smelling, uncouth savages. You will be indistinguishable from the real thing, and your subterfuge will go unnoticed until it's too late for these tribal morons.

Yep, it'll kick in. Any day now...

Your win condition remains unchanged. You gain the following abilities:

Death Thrall: You will die in the narration as a Tribal Priest, a role that does not exist. Seer abilities will still correctly identify you, and if investigated while dead the narration will reveal your true identity.

Intimacy: While a reasonably respected person in the public, you rarely got truly emotionally close with anyone, even your life partner. In death you try to achieve what you missed out on. Once per game you may PM the host with the name of another player to attempt to establish a permanent communication link, allowing you to communicate freely with this player regardless of whether he or she is dead or alive. The player and you will be informed that the link is established by the host if the ability succeeds.

Unlike the villager version of intimacy, you may use this ability once per night.

Some things supposed to weaken the illusionist’s powers
    -Seers used on him while alive would correctly identify him as the illusionist.
    -Any investigative ability (seers or even the angel's talk ability) used on him in death would reveal his true role in the narration the night it was used.
    -Earlier mentioned expected discovery that vanillagers had the most powerful spirit abilities, not village specials.
    -Odd fluff: Priests in a shamanistic society? Admittedly not that big of a tip-off.
    -Romanqwerty not being mentioned at all in the narration he died in.

Role was designed to weaken the potential power of a "dead player network" but the village roles in-game were not really conducive to setting one up in the limited time the game took.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    Locus wrote:
    So close to making it to the end! Oh well. At least we got the victory! Well done fellow mages!

And thank you for the running the game Rawkking Goodguy and pigeonking! It was fun!

Goddammit, why did I stop voting for you.

doomrider_sigPA.png
    edited August 2011
    Now that I've got all the roles out, I'm curious how you all would improve the game.

Despite mentioning in my boards that the village specials were somewhat weak to merit a roleblock, I think I would keep the mafia the same and buff the dead abilities of the village. Remove the revenge and self-actualization death roles and replace them with another spirit walker and spirit ability seer (I'd have to make the mafia's magic bond not seerable, unfortunately), then replace the three village possession roles with an intimacy, curiosity, and vengeance role (replace the mafia possession with another curiosity) while changing intimacy to allow you to link yourself with one living and one dead player per role. Rename romanqwerty's spirit ability as a result. Tweak the numbers of self-aware villagers to have one villager of each spirit ability type be self-aware, two for curiosity.

The end result is that communication with dead players is much more feasible but still not perfect: some curiosity results would be forwarded to whatever member of the living network remained alive, some haunts and vengeances would be coordinated. The mafia is still more powerful than a normal mafia with a nasty surprise for the dead network with the death thrall.

Thoughts? Would this make the village too powerful? It's very hard to judge balance with roles that only work after death, honestly.

Rawkking Goodguy on
    I was honestly pretty scared we were going to eat a shitton of kills and votes from dead players for the last few days of the game. Most of those didn't really show up though.

• romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    Also

Damn you, Roman
    For reference I never actually cared about your WC or anything like that. I just wanted to control your kill so you couldn't hit any more mafia.

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    Rend's suspicion list hit exactly 1 mafia, out of 8 guesses.