As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Post-[Phalla]ism: Phalla After Death - Game Over - Mages/Angels Victorious

1444546474850»

• Wandering HeroWandering Hero Registered User regular
    Also

Damn you, Roman
    For reference I never actually cared about your WC or anything like that. I just wanted to control your kill so you couldn't hit any more mafia.

That's kind of obvious now :P

Not today.
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I should have voiced suspicions of savant's arguments, there was something weird about them that I couldn't quite place, but I brushed it off because of the great job he did in the DnD game, and from not really knowing his posting style from not doing many games with him.

I'm glad that Virgil's hit and run wagons were a mafia tactic though. I would have felt bad if I was as doggedly after him for being so stubborn about not giving good reasons for them if he was just a villager who was going on his gut

steam_sig.png
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Oh hey we won.

I think this brings me to 2 victories out of ~12 phallas.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote:
    I should have voiced suspicions of savant's arguments, there was something weird about them that I couldn't quite place, but I brushed it off because of the great job he did in the DnD game, and from not really knowing his posting style from not doing many games with him.

I'm glad that Virgil's hit and run wagons were a mafia tactic though. I would have felt bad if I was as doggedly after him for being so stubborn about not giving good reasons for them if he was just a villager who was going on his gut

I had you killed because you were one of the few whose mafiadar wasn't completely busted, and no one seemed to notice until you ghost voted.

I made some little mistakes here and there, part of it being constrained by trying not to blow a hole out of the growing percentage of the population that was mafia. Most of it was I was trying to make arguments that I thought would make sense from the standpoint of a villager without actually implicating any of my compatriots on the high chance that I didn't make it to the end of the game.

I thought that I was going to die a whole lot earlier from a vengeance kill, then I figured once I had gotten far enough that you guys had lost interest in me when finally I got killed.

• FreeAgentFreeAgent Registered User regular
    Getting 5/10 evil suspects on my SUSPICIOUS LIST (not counting Ahava and INANTP, since I actually already knew they were innocent)? Not bad for not playing in a while. Jdark was originally much higher on my list, but when I got networked, the guys thought he was on the level, so I went along with it. I also had suspicions about Lucedes, but didn't have a chance to investigate them further. Same with Virgil.

Never suspected Locus, though. Not even a little bit.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Yeah, locus did a bang up job. I never would have suspected him

steam_sig.png
  • wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    Funny, the only thing that got Locus was the RNG - I didn't put in a target for tonight, and he was randomly chosen. :)

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I totally suspected Locus.

but we seered FreeAgent instead, which was fine.

The end result had we seered Locus would have been me coming out as the mouthpiece, saying "Locus is evil and I know a seer" and then getting killed.

Sooooo.

not much would have changed.

Thanks for running Rawk & pigeon.

• TmoiyTmoiy Registered User regular
    Just finished reading the mafia boards. Savant and Locus seemed scary competent. Virgil, I'm curious what post restriction you were going to throw on me. :D

• M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    you know baidol if you would have just admitted to being mafia to me sooner, hell I had you seered and told you I knew for a fact you were we woulda won sooner, I had a vig on my side willing to kill for you and me and the other angel had a ton of info

the faster we ended the game was for me and tmoiys benefit along with wildwoods but you blew that chance you bum

• corvidaecorvidae Registered User regular

I expected people to be able to form a semi-network of dead players as the game dragged to an end, chains of intimacy-linked dead players being contacted by corvidae. This was why I included romanqwerty to disrupt what I imagined was a powerful end-game tool. This was a bit foolish: there were only a few intimacy villagers and they mostly just connected with the network head, preventing abilities like curiosity seers from reaching the living and vengeance kills being directed to players spirit marked by roles marked by haunting villagers, in addition to corvidae not being able to figure out that it would be a good idea to contact vanillagers. If ran this again I'd probably give two players corvidae's role and give intimacy players two uses of their abilities or otherwise increase the ability of contacting dead players.

way to throw me under the bus.

honestly, spent 3 days just trying to get in touch with the network, and at that point we were significantly boned.

after that, was just trying to gather and confirm intel.

the intimacy chains were starting to form, unfortunately romamqwerty had subverted them. Honestly, can't feel i am to blame for all this, after day 5, my abilities were being "decided" by the network for maximum efficiency of use.

i couldn't just contact someone for the fun of it, i had to get the most bang for my buck. getting networked was a priority early, and after that, we were already facing an uphill battle. early on, i contacted specials mostly cause i felt they were most likely to be networked.

sorry if i let any of you down.

[/my first phalla]

sadface now.

Now that I've got all the roles out, I'm curious how you all would improve the game.

Despite mentioning in my boards that the village specials were somewhat weak to merit a roleblock, I think I would keep the mafia the same and buff the dead abilities of the village. Remove the revenge and self-actualization death roles and replace them with another spirit walker and spirit ability seer (I'd have to make the mafia's magic bond not seerable, unfortunately), then replace the three village possession roles with an intimacy, curiosity, and vengeance role (replace the mafia possession with another curiosity) while changing intimacy to allow you to link yourself with one living and one dead player per role. Rename romanqwerty's spirit ability as a result. Tweak the numbers of self-aware villagers to have one villager of each spirit ability type be self-aware, two for curiosity.

The end result is that communication with dead players is much more feasible but still not perfect: some curiosity results would be forwarded to whatever member of the living network remained alive, some haunts and vengeances would be coordinated. The mafia is still more powerful than a normal mafia with a nasty surprise for the dead network with the death thrall.

Thoughts? Would this make the village too powerful? It's very hard to judge balance with roles that only work after death, honestly.

honestly, probably need at least 2 spirit walkers, maybe more. considering they might not get networked immediately, considering they might be offed, etc etc etc.

especially with a death thrall in play.

i spent all day going back and forth with the network trying to determine who to contact to maximise my ability. considering i had to wait for someone to die to contact them and whatnot. that basically means a 2-day turnaround to get in touch with them.

i'm not really sure how long the average phalla lasts, but considering we had 4-6 dead ppl a night, it was really hard to use my ability in those conditions.

• RedasaurRedasaur Registered User regular
    You did fine, Corvidae. The village was pretty screwed by the time the network actually formed. JasonTodd was inactive on the worst day,when Ahava and I were trying to make contact. That delayed us getting the seer and the guard together, and got the guard killed too. Not Jason's fault, real life emergencies are more important of course. Just bad timing.

And by then, we and the 2 neutral kills had (apparently) only killed villagers for so long that there wasn't much we could do.

I have to say, I don't like thralls or death thralls at all. This version of the death thrall in particular, where he can then significantly affect the game after dying. And overall, I think I like the idea of "non-hidden mechanics" games better than hidden mechanics ones. But I'll have to try an exposed mechanics game to see for sure.

It seems to me that the biggest advantage the mafia had is that they pretty much knew how the entire game and all the abilities and mechanics worked, aside from the neutrals.

really really felt like i let everyone down.

• AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Don't worry about it Corvidae. You did alright and even survived the village's voting wrath.

Heyyy at least I was right about voting cyrthaul. But oh well, village was long lost at that point. Rend your mafia radar wasn't spot on this game D:

Thanks for hosting rawkking/pigeon. Quite some interesting mechanics!

Alegis on
  • romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    Redasaur wrote:

It seems to me that the biggest advantage the mafia had is that they pretty much knew how the entire game and all the abilities and mechanics worked, aside from the neutrals.

That is usually the norm. Its very rare for the mafia to not know significantly more about the mechanics than the village.

With regards to this game however, I think there were simply too many mafia. 20% is fine when mechanics are mostly standard but in a game like this where the mafia has a big edge based on starting information, one or two less mafia could have been more reasonable.

Corvid you did fine, i can't imagine what else you could have done.

Ultimately I think what cost the village the game was getting lucky with a lot of specials dying early and Jtodd's inability to stay alive and consolidate a strong network after calling his kill(s).

mafia rooooooleblooooooooooocks

• REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    Alegis wrote:
    mafia rooooooleblooooooooooocks

This is why you don't call a kill on day 1. Wait to see the mechanics!!!!

If you get hit by a roleblock, you should probably tell the thread too.

Going through the mafia boards
    My second place would be to take out Alegis. I feel like I've seen him play up the drunk but not posting sometimes when he is a special. It isn't surefire logic, but it is enough for me.
    lies and slander!

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Tmoiy wrote:
    Just finished reading the mafia boards. Savant and Locus seemed scary competent. Virgil, I'm curious what post restriction you were going to throw on me. :D

oh I just came up with this simple ol' thing.
    Tmoiy's posts must include a 3 sentence profession of love, for the person who posted before him, in bold purple letters.
    I figured the host would edit out the 3 sentence requirement.

VayBJ4e.png
  • LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    KingMole wrote:
    Locus wrote:
    So close to making it to the end! Oh well. At least we got the victory! Well done fellow mages!

And thank you for the running the game Rawkking Goodguy and pigeonking! It was fun!

Goddammit, why did I stop voting for you.

:bz

• M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    Anyhow, great game, tmoiy was an excellent partner

I stuck my neck out a lot though and it somewhat paid off

• RedasaurRedasaur Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    It also felt like spirit marks only mattered for blocking the village from getting things done. The mafia and the neutrals could both place spirit marks wherever they felt like it and then use spirit mark-only abilities right afterwards. The village had separate people who could create the marks from those who could use the marks, making it impossible to coordinate any ability usage.

That is, the mafia and the neutrals had separate people doing those tasks as well, but they were automatically networked for the entire game regardless of if they were dead or alive.

Redasaur on
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote:

I can tell you that it was this post of his that made me put in the kill order on him:
    Savant wrote:
    Well shit, it looks like that bandwagon wasn't mafia dictated, but it was on a villager and we are now out some key specials. I'm hoping that there are still some tricks up people's sleeve that haven't been used yet, or we are rather screwed.

I'm going to trust our dead seer and vote baidol, no reason to give up until the game is over.

It just felt too "mafia trying to sound village" to me.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    yeah

i was sure someone would want to kill savant after that post

but no, apparently not

• TmoiyTmoiy Registered User regular
    Tmoiy wrote:

oh I just came up with this simple ol' thing.
    Tmoiy's posts must include a 3 sentence profession of love, for the person who posted before him, in bold purple letters.
    I figured the host would edit out the 3 sentence requirement.

Aw, that would have been fun. <3

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Corvidae, you did just fine.

Part of my brain was wary of thralls, so that was pretty much why I tried to keep you as far from the network as I did.

Roman died on the same night that I made contact with him, so bugger that.

and yeah, hate hate hate millers and thralls. HATE. But, whatcha gonna do?

All in all, good game, was fun, could use some tweaks (dead boards or something similar personally). But wasn't anything too much to complain about.

except for Roman.

• romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    3677571647_09622f0c49.jpg

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Okay, I'm home. Dunno what to say. I had fun. I'm a little frustrated because I was actually at a get away on Friday and I had to keep checking the forums because I Was in contact with various different people, one of who turned out to be a death thrall (thanks, RQ).

But that's okay. I don't really mind that too much. I'm far less impressed with my total inability to read people. I'm not sure how I would have ever sussed out that RQ was mafia and full of shit but whatever.

I'm really, really ashamed at my performance in this game.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Oh and sorry to facetious and Infidel. Sigh.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    It is okay, this game allowed you to grudge kill in the same game you got the grudge! :D

OrokosPA.png