As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's the Blitzkrieg Bop. - Fear Itself

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    1313694516.jpg

Team of vampires confirmed.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Told you suckas

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    In the Marvel Universe when you turn vampire your ears get pointy too? I really am curious about that, might need to check MI-13 issues or those old Uncanny annuals again

• Options
    Eh it is stylistic thing

NewDracula has pointy ears too.

Honestly I might give The Forgiven a shot. Gischler can write good things but he is a terrible X-Men writer.

Given a team of vampires with no superheroes to force in might make it work.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't remember Spitfire getting pointy ears when she went vamp.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    that's kinda disappointing

and i don't like that cover

• Options
    That isn't a cover

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't remember Spitfire getting pointy ears when she went vamp.

She has a pointy mask. Good enough for vampires.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote:
    That isn't a cover

it looked like it coulda been a cover albeit with some extra text. sorry.

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/08/18/fear-itself-gets-another-three-issues-in-marvel-november-2011-solicitations/

Why do all of these read like "The Herp that will Forever Derp the Marvel Universe!?"

Three four dollar prelude issues made me laugh, and then two high-profile spin-off minis both co-written by the teams of CHRISTOPHER YOST, MATT FRACTION & CULLEN BUNN.

That is definitely Marvel both trying to capitalize on the success of Brightest Day, and also over-reaching and totally oversaturating the market again.

I was considering reading all of these things, but I'm probably just going to wait for the collected editions down the line (including the Fear Itself Aftermath 7.X issues, which will give me an incentive to buy the Hardcover or Trade later on). At best I may give Battle Scars a shot because it sounds like it will spin around the Marvel U and focus on different characters more, while I don't care so much about Sin, Valkryie and Crossbones all that much.

Also, I kind of hope that this means Chris Yost is working his way up to marvel architect status. Dude is a boss writer, and he totally deserves it. Especially if he can write these major status-quo setting books and continue to showrun Avengers: EMH.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I don't see whats so bad about any of that stuff

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Balefuego wrote:
    I don't see whats so bad about any of that stuff

I just feel like there's so much of it, and it's all pretty expensive, and we don't really know exactly how substantial it will be yet.

But then again, Brightest Day definitely had that problem as well.

• Options
    well the 7. issues are written by the writers of those characters solo books so they seem like a pretty natural progression to whatever the Post-FI status is

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    and while I think Marvel's widespread use of 3.99 on books that really don't call for it(stuff like Moon Knight or Uncanny) I hardly think 1 dollar more qualifies as "expensive"

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Well, I tell you one thing.

That Fear Itself Hardcover is going to be fucking nice if it has the prelude and 7. issues.

• Options
    SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    Finally bought this month's Feat Itself, now I can participate in discussion...it was cool.

Don't know if I mentioned it earlier but I've decided to hold off on buying any of the Tie-ins just for sake of saving money, plus they'll probably compile them at the end anyways right? Also I realized that while I'd like to know what's going on elsewhere in the Marvel U during all this, I just don't really care about a lot of the characters involved.

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • Options
    well I think the general idea is you pick up the specific tie-ins that deal with the characters you are interested in (or have creative teams you like or whatever) and stick with those rather than just blindly buying everything with the event banner on the cover

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote:
    well I think the general idea is you pick up the specific tie-ins that deal with the characters you are interested in (or have creative teams you like or whatever) and stick with those rather than just blindly buying everything with the event banner on the cover

I was really impressed by the "choose-your-own-adventure" style approach to the minis Marvel took with this event. Has either company done that kinda thing before with an event, a character guide rather than a chronology?

galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    Well I'm very new to this whole thing, the only print comics I bought prior to this summer were manga, graphic novels, and the occasional Batman trade that caught my eye at Barnes and Nobel.

So I thought I'd be interested in Iron Man, skimmed it for a bit in the store and realized I don't really care about him I guess, looked around and didn't really recognize/care about half of the series/characters available, and decided I'd buy volume 1 of Chew instead.

A perfect example of when I'd probably buy a couple tie ins if there were $2 digital versions. When everything related to the event is 4 or 5 bucks you can quickly run up the $$$ without realizing it.

Kochikens wrote:
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Blackest Night had the whole creative team/character thing with the tie-ins, but there was also a lot less story to tell with the tie-ins there.

Edit: And I guess Flashpoint has it now as well, since almost none of the Flashpoint minis add significantly to the story.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    You could probably replace "almost none" with "none" in that last sentence. They had a chance to do a slew of Almalgam-style "past adventures of...." stories, and they blew it, grim-darking everything and everyone.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I haven't read any of fear itself. I have been reading the tie-ins for Avengers and Thunderbolts. The story is sounding really great and I wanted to ask if you guys think I should buy the trade when its out?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    I like it so far, but I'm no expert. I guess we'll really have to see what the end result is I guess, but it's heating up for sure.

Kochikens wrote:
  • Options
    It had a rocky first half, but I'm liking it more now. The big problem is that it's totally not what Fraction and Marvel were hyping it up to be; Fraction kept saying that it would somehow tie together with our political and cultural problems, and that it would show the heroes at their absolute rock bottom crushed by self-doubt and dread once their biggest fears were realized. None of that happened, and what little that did either felt shoehorned in (the protest/riot and Braxton stuff in issue 1), or had no real build-up (right now we're being told by the heroes that they're at rock bottom, but there's been no psychological exploration of it).

• Options
    Well the psychological trauma looks like it is being explored in Shattered Heroes but I would say that things look pretty fucking dark for them right now and everybody is in a pretty bad place

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    The problem is that the heroes have already spent years being thoroughly demoralized thanks to Civil War, Secret Invasion, and Dark Reign. Now, after a very short reprieve (Age of Heroes), Fraction is essentially just going to the same well all over again.

Now if Dark Reign had culminated in Fear Itself rather than Siege, then we could've had the combination of psychological and physical defeat that Fraction is searching for here.

Hell, imagine if Steve's death at the end of Civil War hadn't occurred, and he'd instead died at the hands of the Serpent like Bucky did. That would've had way more impact than the death scene we did get.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Thinking about it, Steve dying from Sin after seeing his shield break would have been a much nicer death. You have the daughter of his greatest enemy defeating him, without time bullets, on top of everyone being beaten and Tony falling off the wagon.

And from there you have two-three years of relative "happy" stories that don't just make things worse and worse just to top the last event.

• Options
    Yeah

you guys just explained why I said it had almost no real impact to me, as a reader. We just had these events that piled on for ten straight years with no easing up, and Civil War and Dark Reign were particularly brutal for the Marvel heroes. Even though all that stuff has been status cleared by the heroic age, it's still recent, and that's still where the parallels go.

Compared to all those stories, Fear Itself is reading more like an event checklist at certain points (New, unheard of threat reveals itself in an unexpected way? Major character death? Heroes are driven back or otherwise unable to win the initial battle? Heroes and Villains get powered up? Smaller, but still important battles, happen elusively in tie in series?).

Beyond that, there's what Fraction is saying now, that he's trying to show that the heroes really don't have the literal time to react to the personal tragedies they're going through. Steve mourned for a few pages, and then was Cap again. Tony has Demon'd again, but only once so far because he's still just had that initial talk with odin in the flag series. And Thor has... a god concussion or something. He hasn't really been dealt his godhand yet.

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Gail Simone summed it up pretty well:
    These mega crossovers are starting to read like the same story over and over, with the same consequences. Empty.

• Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    My guess as to what is going to happen:
    - Thor gets bitten by the Serpent, and has to refrain from walking. He is bound to a chair/throne, and is probably carried around by litter bearers. He apoints a new God of Thunder to carry on in his stead.
    - Norman Osborn, who was generally perceived as being anti-Asgard, gets re-appointed because the world is fed up with this Asgard shit

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Gail Simone summed it up pretty well:
    These mega crossovers are starting to read like the same story over and over, with the same consequences. Empty.

Usually this is not my view

But I am annoyed that Avengers was doing incredibly well but now has been pushed into a fear itself tie-in which is nowhere near as good and that has been the way pretty much all round. I don't mind events at all. I mind the god damn tie ins.

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    cshadow42 wrote:
    - Thor gets bitten by the Serpent, and has to refrain from walking. He is bound to a chair/throne, and is probably carried around by litter bearers. He apoints a new God of Thunder to carry on in his stead.
    - Norman Osborn, who was generally perceived as being anti-Asgard, gets re-appointed because the world is fed up with this Asgard shit

Osborn is not being reappointed to shit. He broke out of prison.

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    I wouldn't expect the Asgardians to come back to Earth after ditching humanity like that, so any backlash against Thor and his kind probably won't result in another Siege scenario.

• Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    Furu wrote:
    cshadow42 wrote:

Osborn is not being reappointed to shit. He broke out of prison.
    Just like the A-Team!

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    In 2010, Norman Osborn was sent to prison for a crime that he didn't commit. (Hey. Stop laughing.) He promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the American underground with several co-conspirators in tow. Today, still wanted by the government, the Avengers, and every cop on the planet, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can promise he might get to kill Spider-Man, maybe you can hire... The O-Team.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    The Judge wrote:
    In 2010, Norman Osborn was sent to prison for a crime that he didn't commit. (Hey. Stop laughing.) He promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the American underground with several co-conspirators in tow. Today, still wanted by the government, the Avengers, and every cop on the planet, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can promise he might get to kill Spider-Man, maybe you can hire... The O-Team.

"Let me show you...my O-face"

1216063-1163103_siege_203_8_super.jpg

Kochikens wrote:
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    I wonder if Obama keeps a pull list for him at Fantom Comics that some intern has to pick up every Wednesday morning. I only say that because I would love to see if he is as baffled as me that Marvel's Obama didn't order Nick Fury to shoot Osborn in the face at the end of Siege. Boom. Treason trial over.

• Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    I think Norman Osborn works best when he's not on the run from prison, but rather standing smug in the public eye while in private struggling to control the Goblin. Since he was placed in prison illegally, he could pull what Ultimate Osborn tried in USM...come out in public and claim he was persecuted. Except, you know, not blow it by going Goblin.

It'll be interesting to see how the Void and Osborn work together again.

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Osborn broke out and turned himself in after killing everyone in the prison.

I don't know how he ends up getting released.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Macro9 wrote:
    Osborn broke out and turned himself in after killing everyone in the prison.

I don't know how he ends up getting released.

Could use the old "I ended up finding God" and turn him into a religious cult leader.