As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pathetic Geek Stories - the Return of the Geekening

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    My dad makes fresh sticky cinnamon buns for Christmas morning, while my mum goes and tends to her horse, normally I'll be in the living room fighting with kindling, coal, and paper to get a fire going at this stage, because at some point everyone convinced themselves this was something I was good at.

Inevitably a dog will damage the wrapping on at least one present, when we had our brilliant old Black Lab - Red Setter cross she managed to knock the whole tree over one year with that ridiculous weaponised tail wagging.

Am I filling your mind with enough happy Christmas tales, Marg?

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Sir Daft Punk

Or I guess it would be Sirs Daft Punk

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    they were separately knighted you goofball

• HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Probably at the same ceremony, knighting is a costly process! Gotta save money, double up on the ceremonies.

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    yeah gray ghost it'd be sir daft and sir punk

0BnD8l3.gif
  • ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Fyndir wrote:
    My dad makes fresh sticky cinnamon buns for Christmas morning, while my mum goes and tends to her horse, normally I'll be in the living room fighting with kindling, coal, and paper to get a fire going at this stage, because at some point everyone convinced themselves this was something I was good at.

Inevitably a dog will damage the wrapping on at least one present, when we had our brilliant old Black Lab - Red Setter cross she managed to knock the whole tree over one year with that ridiculous weaponised tail wagging.

Am I filling your mind with enough happy Christmas tales, Marg?

This sounds amazing :!:

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote:
    yeah gray ghost it'd be sir daft and sir punk

Ah, but of course

• skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    Fyndir wrote:

This is very true!
    Lab tails are crazy. I'm not sure if it's just the speed they wag them or if there's some crazy muscles there.. it hurts when you run into a lab's wagging tail!

• skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    Margarazzi wrote:
    Fyndir wrote:
    The latter part of the tradition might disappear, as almost all of us have smartphones or kindles, so it will become much less obnoxious to buy our own copies of the book quietly and read it in our own time instead of waiting for others to finish.

Christmas ruined. :(
    Christmas stopped mattering to me at all once my grandfather died and everyone revealed how much they despised each other but were just being nice the whole time out of respect for him.
    So I love hearing about other people's chocolate-and-honey laced wonderful Christmas times.

My family currently does what I call, "The 3 days of xmas"
    xmas eve is spent at family a's place
    xmas day is spent at family b's place
    the day after xmas day is spent at family c's place

Only have 2 things that go with it
    1. Whoever's day it is has to provide food
    2. Only presents at whoever's place gets unwrapped

Basically, we got tired of figuring out which house to gather at and then lugging presents over there. Works out pretty well.

• TrueHereticXTrueHereticX We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter. Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    We always spend christmas eve at my grandparents on my Dad's side's place. They cook food for about 40 or 50 people, and there are only ever at most 25 or 30 people there.

We still eat it all

Common saying in my family is 'You go to Nan's you don't have to eat the rest of the day'

Also one of the people with a beer gut is always Santa.

• JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    Since as far back as I can remember (since coming to the UK) My brothers and I have always gone to my parents for christmas. It's always the same, same food, mostly same people, same decorations and even stockings hung up. It's great and I hope it never changes.

Before this, in South africa, 2 weeks before Christmas we would drive from Johannesburg down to my dads mom in a place called Montagu for a couple of days before heading down to Cape Town to stay with my moms parents, Christmas there was awesome, in the sunshine with all the family around.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    Our Christmas consists of a big old feast of seafood and maybe a roast duck and a chicken too. Really the main focus is the seafood which is great. Christmas is really just an excuse for us all to get together, get real drunk and play backyard cricket. Man, I love Christmas!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    All of these Christmas stories!! <3<3

EyQGd.jpg
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Sometimes at Christmas I cook things for everyone, and then disappear to hide somewhere else because there are too many people and I really need some head space.

Then I get shouted at.

IS THAT THE KIND OF STORY YOU WANT, MARG?

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    I have terrible Christmas stories. I usually cover the systems at work and pick up a couple of extra vacation days.

• MizuumiMizuumi pet dog you've been eating my video game how could you eat my video gameRegistered User regular
    skettios wrote:
    Fyndir wrote:

This is very true!
    Lab tails are crazy. I'm not sure if it's just the speed they wag them or if there's some crazy muscles there.. it hurts when you run into a lab's wagging tail!

i know this is true because of my aunt's three two (the oldest and femalest one died SAD) chocolate labs

those things are like bludgeons

i have nothing else of worth to contribute to this line of conversation

ducklett.gif
    Every Christmas, my sister and I always find time to watch Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz some time during the season.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    labs are water dogs, and as such, use their tails as rudders to help them turn in the water.

facts!

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    man I have endless waltz on vhs somewhere around here

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    The Endless Waltz Gundams are badass.

Fact.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    I just got done with going through an old box of shit from the turn of the millennium. I found a drawing a did of Perfect Cell in '99. It was pretty good except for his eyes. He looked a bit cross-eyed.

In fact it was so good that I am convinced I traced it, because I am bad at anatomy now, but I was much worse then. I don't know, though. I had to have been stoned when I did it, because I don't remember shit about it.

I should scan it soon.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    Macro9 wrote:
    I just got done with going through an old box of shit from the turn of the millennium. I found a drawing a did of Perfect Cell in '99. It was pretty good except for his eyes. He looked a bit cross-eyed.

In fact it was so good that I am convinced I traced it, because I am bad at anatomy now, but I was much worse then. I don't know, though. I had to have been stoned when I did it, because I don't remember shit about it.

I should scan it soon.

Oh WOW

Artifacts from The Future

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • TrueHereticXTrueHereticX We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter. Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Backyard Cricket on Christmas Eve/Day are the greatest Australian traditions.

Wish we stil did it.

• ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    today I watched competitive dota 2 on a large hdtv using the ps3's browser

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    theres dota 2 footage now?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    There is a dota2 tourney going on over the past couple of days, maybe a couple more I don't know how many.
    First prize is 1 million for the team, I think second is 250k.

I think www.dota2.com has the stream on it. It has been pretty choppy for me but I'm almost certain the is mostly my ISP.

• StrifeRaZoRStrifeRaZoR Registered User regular
    Back when I was about 18 or 19 (25 now), me and two friends were at the mall, browsing around EB Games and Spencer's. One of my friend's (Matt) wandered into Hot Topic to take a peek at some of the fine selections available to teenagers in the mid 2000's. So me and my other friend followed him in there, poking fun at his taste for clothing or whatever it is they sell there. On the wall in the very back of the store were some antenna toppers that you put on your car. Remember those things? One of them was a green mushroom from Super Mario. You know, the 1-up. The extra man. The important one. So Matt picks up said antenna topper and says, "I should totally buy this.". Then he glances at the price tag. $8...for an itty bitty foam antenna topper. So he puts it back and says, "No way, fuck that. Not paying that much for that thing.". So I dash over, pick the mushroom up, shove it in his face and say, "But Matt! It's an EXTRA MAN!".

Also, slightly related, my mom refused to take me into grocery stores when I was little (Like 5 or 6) because I ran around the store making mario noises pretending that I was shooting fireballs out of my mouth.

StrifeRaZoR.png
  • Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    my girlfriend had to explain to me that she thinks all anime is kind of stupid, even if it's objectively good

I spent exactly one second thinking of a way to defend it before I took a hard look at myself and realized I was about to become a self-parody

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Skull Man is your girlfriend Stale

• MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    Skull Man wrote:
    my girlfriend had to explain to me that she thinks all anime is kind of stupid, even if it's objectively good

I spent exactly one second thinking of a way to defend it before I took a hard look at myself and realized I was about to become a self-parody

sounds like a keeper to me

xet8c.gif
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    This is the kind of girlfriend we should all strive to have

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    A girl once asked me out in Junior High. I turned her down because my extensive knowledge of TGIF sitcoms indicated that the relationship would end poorly.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    A girl once asked me out in Junior High. I turned her down because my extensive knowledge of TGIF sitcoms indicated that the relationship would end poorly.

This is amazing.

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote:

This is amazing.

Is it because she didn't have secret witch powers?

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Skull Man wrote:

How is anything objectively good?

• NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2011
    JoeUser wrote:
    Skull Man wrote:

How is anything objectively good?

there's an official organization in france that rules on what is objectively good every year

Nerdgasmic on
    i kinda sorta like wearing tracksuits on occasion because I feel like I'm wearing a superhero suit >_>

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    superheroes wear tracksuits?

no

the color coordination

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    its a speed suit

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]