As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kronus vs. the Image Dump (Page 8)

• KronusKronus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Here's the first draft! I haven't decided what I wanted to do with the background colour-wise, in the games there's only a few stars behind Zebes and I've got that covered already. Might just do some faint, space-y nebulae far off in the distance to make it less boring. Thoughts on the shape of Mother Brain? I won't include any text in this one ;)

47nZw.png

Kronus on
  • e2dbe2db Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Kronus wrote: »
    EDIT2: Alright the Metroid Prime posters are now available sans text here, here, and here!

Fantastic! You are a gentleman and an artist.

e2db on
    parobsig.jpg
  • MabelmaMabelma Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This is such an amazing thread. Everything is truly amazing. I can't wait for your newest piece to be finished it has a great abstract feel to it, really amazing.

Mabelma on
    Have some time, check out my blog
  • acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I think you should give bits of the brain some of that brush-y feel you had on the other posters. This one is too clean, imo -- not nearly as dynamic.

acadia on
    edited July 2011
    I thiiiiiink this is heading in the right direction. Of course, as I make this post I notice no less than four things I want to fix/clean up/adjust, so we'll call this rough draft number two. I moved the planet up because I didn't feel like the Mother Brain silhouette was giving the effect I wanted (the planet is supposed to look like it's floating in space which I think I captured a bit more with this one), at the cost of having to mess around with the bottom part of Mother Brain. I couldn't add the giant wires and pipes coming out of MB that you see in-game so I tried something a little different.

Zebes2.jpg

Kronus on
  • MabelmaMabelma Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    That looks amazing, my only suggestion would be moving the planet a bit up so it's on the center because fro some reason it feels misplaced like that. Otherwise it looks awesome, the bottom part of the illustration looks amazing.

Mabelma on
    Have some time, check out my blog
    edited July 2011
    Oh yea you're totally right I'll make sure to fix that too, and thanks for the kind comments Mabelma!! :)

Kronus on
    edited July 2011
    And now for something completely different, I've been trying to draw over the past few days with varying results (mostly in the bad range of things). I've been cheating so far by avoiding doing anything with people in them so I think I'll probably have to work at this for a little while (I have a long ways to go). I doodled some faces because I can't really draw bodies (even cartoon ones) D:

facedodles1.png

Kronus on
    edited July 2011
    So I decided to not inundate the thread with random drawings while I get into practice again, but besides that I've been working on a bunch of different things over the past week. My Metroid Prime print arrived earlier this week and I gotta say, I'm super impressed by the quality. I took some photos, the composite is under the spoiler due to size/not real important.
    MP1print_photos.jpg
    I'm going back and redoing the Metroid posters at twice the size as the original (because I was a nub and didn't account for the large print sizes at Society6), which isn't particularly difficult except that the brushes I used in the first poster are pretty bad quality so I've had to recreate it through other methods. Remaking the planets is also proving to take more time than I thought!

In the meantime, I wanted to get some thoughts on the composition of this piece. I need to figure out something better for the backs of the Star Destroyers (inside the X-Wing wings). I'll add some small splotches and stuff as well as the inky texture at the end but I wanted to make sure the main shapes are recognizable first before I go meddling with it futher. I call it Star Warschach.
    star_warschach1.png

Kronus on
    Here's what I've been working on in between updating the Prime posters:

tumblr_lp614pa3OV1qjb8xho1_500.jpg

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I would buy one of those t-shirts, though I'd make the design a little smaller if I could. Otherwise it is going to make your stomach look faaaaat.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    DO WANT

An idea I had late last night
    77J31.png

edited August 2011
    I always loved this line from the HP7 trailers
    ujHR8.jpg

EDIT: Aaaaand another one
    t0bqw.jpg

Kronus on
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Kronus wrote:
    An idea I had late last night
    77J31.png

To be honest the first thing I saw was two pairs of black briefs

3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited August 2011
    Cannot be unseen D:

EDIT: Submitted this as a shirt because I liked the pattern
    361057.jpg

Kronus on
    Been working on a whooooole bunch of things, some have panned out better than others. Hope to show them soon! For now, an amalgamation of my Metroid posters is now up for voting on Threadless. Had to reduce the colours on Zebes but I think it still turned out nicely!

361665.jpg

I guess I didn't post them yet, but I finished the updated version of the Metroid posters last week as well. The biggest difference is the planets, colours are more vibrant and a hopefully the brush strokes blend a bit better. I think Phaaze turned out the best of them all, personally. I'll put them up under a spoiler:
    249294_4297452_b.jpg
    249297_1367593_b.jpg
    249296_12073291_b.jpg
    249243_16032605_b.jpg
    :)

edited August 2011
    I figured this would have been thought of before but my Google-Fu didn't produce any results, so I went ahead with it. The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades
    7OQP8.jpg

This one I don't have a name for, yet;
    d5jTT.jpg

Kronus on
  • SirRamenNoodleSirRamenNoodle Registered User regular
    Great work! do you mostly use photoshop then or do you dabble in illustrator as well?

edited August 2011
    Thanks! :) I mostly use Photoshop, sometimes I open up Illustrator every once and a while but I guess I'm just more comfortable with PS.

Kronus on
  • The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    This really is one of my favorite threads. Really clever stuff.

edited August 2011
    Awesome, thank you! I've been in a bit of a slump for the past few weeks but I felt like I was getting back into my groove with these two pieces, glad people like them!! :D

Kronus on
    I'm seeing your last post as if it were a dude with a in a helmet with that shirt/tie on. He's the nerdiest/coolest guy ever. The last three designs have been top notch. Not a huge fan of the Starwarschach design, as it initially just confused me, nor the 'I<3music' tee -- it's a little weak, but I couldn't tell you why. It just didn't speak to me. I REALLY like the HP7 shirt. It's fuckin ace and definitely works better as a shirt than a print for me.

Also, the blue sunglasses picture. Is it... is it a sunglasses with butts for lenses? I dont get it.

• SirRamenNoodleSirRamenNoodle Registered User regular
    I'll be keeping an eye on your work. The detail in your wrok is wonderful. It can take a lot of patience to get get such precision detail. I have been using photoshop since 2002 and illustrator just seems daunting. Photoshop feels more natural.

Heh, I realize now that I didn't expand upon the blue sunglasses. They were supposed to be two trilby hats upsidedown to look like Wayfarers, it was a Blues Brothers idea but I didn't differentiate the two hats enough and it all turned out sorta weird lookin'. I guess the idea worked better in my head. The other one was actually I Heart Mega Man, hopefully that makes a little more sense! I'll make sure to include the names with my posts so that things are less confusing from now on :P

Thanks for the kind words guys, I really appreciate it!

• CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    That Metroid illustration is pretty swank, you have a lot of great stuff in here!

edited August 2011
    Maybe slightly NSFW, I'll throw this up under a spoiler tag just in case but it's really nothing big. Rough draft of a Sex Bob-Omb poster from Scott Pilgrim:
    SexBob-Omsmallb.jpg

The lines are unclean on purpose, in an attempt to get that garage band-y feel.

Kronus on
  • McDMcD Registered User regular
    Ha, that's wicked, for a wee while there I was wondering what made it NSFW, then noticed the fuse gag. It's a cool design, man. Once the text's been worked into a bit to help it fit a little more with the image it'll look great. Unfortunately graphic design isn't one of my stronger suits, so I can't offer much more constructive criticism, but I like it.

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    The storm trooper is really clever.

First draft, still haven't figured out how I want to do the titlecard but I'm pleased with how this is turning out! I wanted to try something with Illustrator for a change, and while it was a giant pain in the ass in the beginning, I think I'm a changed man now :P

chuckme2.png

edited August 2011
    Update time!
    chuckme3.png

EDIT: Hrm, I'm not sure if I should make the shoe a bit smaller like the first draft or leave it as is. Thoughts? :)

Kronus on
    Smaller, yeah. I really dig it.

Definitely smaller, thanks! :)

And now for some TF2 art
    BlackCyclopssmall.jpg

edited September 2011
    Classes start next week so it's time for some advertising. Thoughts?

ClockTowerv2.jpg

The large text is more of a placeholder, haven't nailed down exactly what it will say but that's the gist of it.
    EDIT: I should add; the structure is prominent clock tower on the campus, which will/should be recognizable even to first years.

Kronus on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    This is some really good stuff Kronus :^:

edited September 2011
    Awesome thanks, I really appreciate it!! :) Originally I had the clock tower front on but compositionally it was super boring. I decided to take a chance and try it at ground level, I'm quite pleased with how it came out.

Kronus on
    Here's my next thing, could definitely use some help/critique on the shading/lighting/etc! I'm trying to keep the colour count down so I haven't added a second brown for the handle, though I can if I have to (hence it looks a bit flat right now).

SuperPlunger1.png

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I had no idea these were for shirts. . .Id buy the Storm trooper one if the colors were reversed.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    edited September 2011
    I usually "envision" them as posters first, and then see how they look as shirts. Some of them work better than others, and I actually thought the Stormtrooper one lent itself well. I tried an inverted version but, personally, I thought it looked a bit wonky

EDIT: I guess this is an option too!

Kronus on
    For fun:
    640x515.png
    ForcesonaTriangle.png

I might clean up this second one and include all of the details. We'll see!