As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Scott Pilgrim

Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOMEYESRegistered User regular
edited November 2006 in Graphic Violence
Afbeelding478.jpg

Yes, Scott Pilgrim, by Bryan Lee O'Malley.

It's the story of a 23-year-old unemployed slacker who, in order to date the girl of his dreams (literally), has to beat her seven evil ex-boyfriends in single combat.

It's zany and funny and charming and the art is great and you should all read it and love it and cherish it because it is really, really, really ridiculously good.

On a semi-related note, there is a guy in my class who looks exactly like a teenaged Scott Pilgrim.

Spectre-x on

• WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited April 2006
    DarkwaterMage: scooooooooooooooooooott ppppiiiillllgriiimmmmmmmmmm
    Sef Joosten2: did you pick it up?
    DarkwaterMage: yes
    Sef Joosten2: this is very important
    Sef Joosten2: YES
    DarkwaterMage: YES
    Sef Joosten2: it is incredibly ultimate, isn't it?
    DarkwaterMage: IT IS SO THE BEST
    Sef Joosten2: I throbbing heart Scott Pilgrim so much oh god it is beyond comprehension

Whippy on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    I do think I will pick this up.

Sars_Boy on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    I love this book, but the wait between is killing me. Picked up the first volume all the way back when it was first released (2004, i think), and i'm still waiting for the third volume. Man, if Oni Press didn't have such amazing books out, i'd hate them for their release scheduling.

Also, there's a movie deal with the book. Still tentative, but a Scott Pilgrim movie? Awesometastic

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Yes, Scott Pilgrim is a great book. I really enjoyed reading them when I borrowed them from the library. Some time soon, I hope to buy them.

Volume 3 is scheduled to come out in May, I think.
    MAY 24th is when Scott Pilgrim & the Infinite Sadness is currently scheduled to be in-store. This date could change a little, depending on what happens with the printer, with the distributor, with the people driving the trucks, with the weather, etcetera, but that's the date I have right now. (You'll note that Amazon also gives that date now.)
    http://www.radiomaru.com/
    http://www.scottpilgrim.com/

DouglasDanger on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2006
    fuck you guys, I don't have money.

Garlic Bread on
    edited April 2006
    Find out if your library has an inter library loan program. I have read A TON of comics this way. I wish I had known about this my first two years of school.

DouglasDanger on
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    so today I picked up volume 1 of Scott Pilgrim, which I then got signed by Brian Lee O'Malley, who also drew a little sketch of Scott. I also got a Scott Pilgrim postcard and button, with the Scott-as-Racoon Mario from Mario 3 picture on each, and a copy of the free comic book day Scott Pilgrim issue. If you can avoid the sweaty nerds, comic conventions are great.

elevature on
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2006
    Also, there's a movie deal with the book. Still tentative, but a Scott Pilgrim movie to be directed by Edgar Wright ! Awesometastic

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
    edited April 2006
    elevature wrote:
    so today I picked up volume 1 of Scott Pilgrim, which I then got signed by Brian Lee O'Malley, who also drew a little sketch of Scott. I also got a Scott Pilgrim postcard and button, with the Scott-as-Racoon Mario from Mario 3 picture on each, and a copy of the free comic book day Scott Pilgrim issue. If you can avoid the sweaty nerds, comic conventions are great.

Oh man, that is awesome. You lucky dog!

DouglasDanger on
    edited April 2006
    I am kind of surprised at the lack of press for v3. Maybe next week?

DouglasDanger on
    edited May 2006
    I finished volume 1 last night, and god damn, this is the best comic I've read in a long long time. I told myself after the con that I had spent enough money for a while and I really need to cut down, but fuck that. I'm buying volume 2 as soon as possible, which will probably be thursday.

Are any of you in this thread from Toronto? I love having a comic that's set where I live. Little things like the Finch train and the NOW boxes on the corner make it so much better, more real. I like how I know when the book was written based on what the TTC fare was at the time.

elevature on
    edited May 2006
    Everyone needs to read Scott Pilgrim. It is one of the most imaginative and simply innovative books around. Cheap too. The volumes are manga-ish in size and are around $10, or something like that.

DouglasDanger on
  • RocielRociel Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    God-fucking-dammit. Amazon don't ship these things for 2 weeks. Plus, my comic book store doesn't open again until wednesday, and I'm not even sure they'll have it. I really want to read this, looks like my kind of things (nerd culture and indie culture in one book. Woah).

Rociel on
    Too big sig. 500x80 plzkthx.
    edited May 2006
    DouglasDanger on
  • CariblueCariblue Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    hmmm the author lives near me and holds comic book support groups, but I heard its full of pretentious bastards, and there is nothing more that I hate more in the world than pretentious comic book people.

Cariblue on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Cariblue wrote:
    hmmm the author lives near me and holds comic book support groups, but I heard its full of pretentious bastards, and there is nothing more that I hate more in the world than pretentious comic book people.

I've heard that from someone who lives in the same street as him. Apparently the guy himself is pretty cool, though.

Spectre-x on
    edited May 2006

I live in the UK, so that's another option out the window.

Rociel on
  • BenMCOBBenMCOB Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Rociel wrote:

I live in the UK, so that's another option out the window.

Tadah!

Sadly they're out of volume 1 right now though...

BenMCOB on
    KirbyvsMetaknight.jpg
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I just looked at Amazon (killing time by deciding what books I'll binge on next :)) and both Scott Pilgrim Vol. 1 and 2 are showing as shipping in 24 hours. Just a heads up to those that are interested.

werehippy on
    edited May 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Cariblue wrote:

I've heard that from someone who lives in the same street as him. Apparently the guy himself is pretty cool, though.

He seemed really nice when I met him on saturday. He gave me a free postcard when I managed to find the last copy of volume 1 at the con. And he was talking about skipping some signing to play Katamari, and no one who plays Katamari can be bad, can they?

elevature on
  • CariblueCariblue Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Cariblue wrote:

yea, thats what I saw that bevo said too. but i've also saw two articles on him in the local papers and, i dunno it just seemed off putting to me, i might check it out though.

beavo would know more than me, but what she said just reinforced my suspicions. at the same time, if you guys are praising it ill check it out.

Cariblue on
    edited May 2006
    PRAISE THE LORD.

Despite the fact that my comic book store always closes on a tuesday, I had an urge to go down there anyway and found that it was open. They had hired more staff and could open tuesdays. They also had both volumes of Scott Pilgrim. Praise Be!

Rociel on
  • GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    There's a Scott Pilgrim book at this year's FCBD.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
    edited May 2006
    Manifest wrote:
    There's a Scott Pilgrim book at this year's FCBD.

and it's really good.

elevature on
    edited May 2006
    I am rather excited about the planned team up book, Scottknife, with Corey Lewis and Sharknife. No work has started on it, but Mal and Rey are friends and apparently have spoken about it at length.

DouglasDanger on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    So I picked up the two trades.

I like. I like a lot. I don't pick up as many funny-romance-y books so much as funny-thinky books anymore, so it was refreshing.

It strangely reminds me of a current situation in my own life, minus evil ex-boyfriends, and canada.

Abracadaniel on
    edited May 2006
    http://community.livejournal.com/scottpilgrim/ LJ I found.

SPOILERS FOR SP 3 are there! It quotes an Entertainment Weekly review of the book. Lots of SPOILERS there!

DouglasDanger on
    edited May 2006
    There is some kind of FCBD thing available! (First post, FCBD thread)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/radiomaru/119909623/

DouglasDanger on
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Scott Pilgrim is pretty much the only reason I would ever walk into a comic store (Which I did this morning to get Free Scott Pilgrim)

Though, I actually got the first volume as a christmas present. And the second I bought at barnes and noble the next day with a barnes and noble gift certificate I also got for christmas.

It's pretty great, I'm surprised not more people have discovered it/made love to it.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
    edited May 2006
    Scott Pilgrim is pretty much the only reason I would ever walk into a comic store (Which I did this morning to get Free Scott Pilgrim)

Though, I actually got the first volume as a christmas present. And the second I bought at barnes and noble the next day with a barnes and noble gift certificate I also got for christmas.

It's pretty great, I'm surprised not more people have discovered it/made love to it.

it's very popular in Toronto. At the con I was at last weekend it was impossible to find a copy of volume 1. I found the last one after a ton of searching. And then on thursday I was looking for volume 2, and I tried four different stores before I found a single copy. The guy at the silver snail, the biggest comic store in the city, said every time they order it in it sells out.

elevature on
  • CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I guess the big question is this;

Like a lot of people, I wasn't able to find the FCBD Scott Pilgrim at any of my local comic stores. Is there any other way to optain this tome?

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I think he mentioned something on his blog about a way you could get it with volume 3.

www.radiomaru.com

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Free Scott Pilgrim is my favorite of all the FCBD books I got.

robosagogo on
  • GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    My LCS was out of the Free Scott Pilgrim book so I bought volume one and read it last night. I really liked it. It's cute, and funny, and witty, and I just can't get enough.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • AzraelAzrael Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Going to give this a look, and I just learned the film is to be directed by Edgar Wright, instant awesometastic.

Azrael on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    yay for canadian comics!

mal lives down the street from me. He and his wife Hope Larson hosted a cartoonists support group for a while around here. He's a pretty nice guy. I've not read any of his comics, maybe I'll pick on up.

beavotron on
  • FerryFerry Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Stalk him and throw iced waffles about like you just dont have a care in the world anymore

Ferry on
    ferrysigrn4.gif
  • Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I sat and read Scott Pilgrim, starting with Free Scott Pilgrim and then volumes 1 and 2, in one sitting last night. It's goddamn glorious.

Conditional_Axe on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I picked up Vol 1 today while getting a Barnes & Noble gift certificate for my mother. I've only read the first chapter, and OH MY GOD SCOTT PILGRIM IS AWESOME.

DarkPrimus on
    edited May 2006
    If you don't love Scott Pilgrim, it is only because you haven't read it.

DouglasDanger on