As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking to replace my CPU fan/heatsink. Help?

Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and loveWill die without a homeRegistered User regular
Okay, so here's the deal. My Core 2 Quad q8200 is running idle at about 53C. I don't like that. I don't like that one bit.

I'm still using the stock cooling for it. I would like to change that.

The motherboard is a LGA775 a 4-pin connector. I'm having some serious problems finding a four-pin connector in that chipset.

Help?

edit: Could I just buy a fan with a 3-pin connector? Would it work just fine if I plugged it into the 4 pins?

2dtr87s.png
SteamID: Baroque And Roll
Baroque And Roll on

• Options
    ParielPariel Registered User regular
    That sounds really hot, have you checked the thermal paste on it?

Are you overclocking? Is the stock cooler dying? I dunno what you're looking at, but you should be able to buy a Hyper 212+ or one of the Corsair coolers for around $25. There should be an LGA 775 compatible one in there somewhere.

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Haven't checked the thermal paste yet, but I can say with a fair bit of certainty that it is a bad scene. Not overclocking. I think the cooler may be dying, yes.

My big issue is that the fan needs to be 90/92mm, as I'm on a microATX board.

Needed: 90/92 mm, LGA775, TDP up to 95W

2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    ParielPariel Registered User regular
    Hmmm, that fact does make it harder.

You might just want to pick up something on the cheap side that's similar to the stock cooler. Rosewill, Antec, or Cooler Master all seem to make fans of that type for $20 or so, which won't be any worse than the stock one, at least (although they might not be very good).

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Could I just buy a fan with a 3-pin connector? Would it work just fine if I plugged it into my 3-pin sysfan connection?

2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Could I just buy a fan with a 3-pin connector? Would it work just fine if I plugged it into my 3-pin sysfan connection?

4-pin fans are pwm(pulse width modulation) controlled fans, so instead of controlling the speed by adjusting the voltage, it instead pulses the power on/off really fast. so try and search for replacements with pwm in the description and you should be able to find something. examples(lists some fans and some heatsinks): http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=92mm+pwm+fan&x=0&y=0

not sure if you could plug a 3-pin into the 4-pin connector.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Yes, a 3 pin fan in a 4 pin connector works fine. You can just buy any LGA 775 cooler that will fit, as long as you're not overclocking.

• Options
    Found some options and think I've got the one that works best for me!

Thanks, everyone!

2dtr87s.png