As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Paint Smell

Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her|Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I think I remember someone here saying that Concentrated Lemon Juice + Vinegar, when dissolved in a jug of water, could absorb paint vapours if left to sit in a room for a while.
Is this correct, or am I misremembering it/getting it completely wrong?

Zilla360 on

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    ... Why would that absorb anything? Might mask the smell.

If you want something absorbed you need surface area. Baking soda would do okay. Activated charcoal would be much better.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    Air Movement is the only thing thats gonna work on the fume situation. Open to exterior air source and get a bunch of fans.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Yeah, just fans all days long. Some blowing in, some out to get good movement.

We used some KILLZ in our bedroom as primer, and it smelled for two weeks.

• Options
    masc.boxmasc.box Registered User regular
    My dad does a lot of painting and would leave a saucer of milk in the room and it does seem to dull the fumes (replacing it before it goes off) . Another method is to cut an onion in half and leave both halves in the room.

I'm struggling to think of a scientific explanation to justify either of these two methods.

• Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    I've used vinegar to get rid of lingering vomit odor. It doesn't absorb the smell like baking soda, it destroys the smell. I've used a small dish of white or apple cider vinegar sitting in a bowl overnight. I don't know if it works on paint odors, but it is worth a shot.

bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Paint will keep 'gassing' until it's fully cured. So keep the windows open as much as you can, and a fan to help blow the fumes out.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    i have heard some vanilla mixed in with the paint helps but have never used it.

camo_sig.png