As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Louie] I'll wait for you

• Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    How'd you guys feel about the 2nd episode? It was good, but it was definitely in the "dramatic not comedic" vein and a pretty big mood shift after an entire episode about whacking off.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    It wasn't my favorite episode either, but I thought they did a great job casting the anti-masturbation spokeswoman. She had to seem preachy without appearing so condescending that you wouldn't want to have sex with her.

I don't think that's a thing.
    Was that final shot supposed
    to show that the whole bit with the woman from the support group to her hotel room was just another masturbation fantasy, though?

Like "It was all a dream," but with more shame and disgust?
    I think that's meant to have happened. His imagination is broken and he is burnt out on masturbation, so he goes to see what her thing is all about and she takes the opportunity to entice him toward the path of absolute abstinence. And then, in her moment of triumph, he excuses himself to jerk off in the bathroom.

[e] I liked it Captain. I think I might have liked extra for coming right on the heels of a more juvenile episode.

On another show the contrast might have seemed jarring, but the subject matter of any given episode of Louie seems to vary wildly from episode to episode; you just don't usually watch them back to back.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    "I recycle and I masturbate. And I'm proud of it, and God's happy."

The part where Louis got trounced on the Fox show and the cello or whatever comes in. He has the most dejected look on his face.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The first season is back on Netflix instant. Hooray for me!

smCQ5WE.jpg
    That last episode was all kinds of messed up. Very enjoyable.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    Anyone catch Louis CK on Conan? I guess it's not terribly hard for a stand up comedian to give a quick and funny routine on that kinda show, but on both Conan and The Daily Show the guy has been hilarious.

Erik
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    So is the station screwing around with episode order or does Louis CK seriously not give a fuck that he's airing a Halloween episode in August?

Cervetus on
    Since Louie only runs from July to September, he can't really do a Halloween (or any big holiday) episode during the actual month.

And no, I doubt that he gives a fuck. Like everything else about the show, he did a segment about Halloween because that's what he wanted to do.

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Ok...no TV show has ever "scared me". But Louie managed to pull it off. Ugh. Man. What the hell is with this show?

Why does a man who is so damned funny not strive to make a funny show? Why is his goal just to make me feel different emotions? Louie...I want you to make me laugh, not fear for children and want to cry!

I enjoy the show, and it is completely unique. But if someone had told me "hey, watch Louie, its great." And then I asked "Whats Louie?" "Oh its a show made by the funniest comedian today, Louis CK." And then I proceeded to spend far too many minutes being very very uncomfortable watching a man desperately trying to defuse a situation to get his young daughters out of harms way...I would be very upset.

Luckily I know what Im getting into, so I can respect what it did to me. But i feel, unlike most shows i watch, where I have to enlighten people about them, I instead have to WARN people about Louie.

616610-1.png
    It was legitimately freaky, but that's why it was so funny when the little girl goes apeshit on them. "Stop scawing my daddy!"

• stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    Cervetus wrote:
    So is the station screwing around with episode order or does Louis CK seriously not give a fuck that he's airing a Halloween episode in August?

He doesn't give a fuck. At all. About anything. Louie simply does whatever he wants whenever he wants. And as he put it "if the network doesnt like it they can fire me."

I love this show.

I dunno man...I didnt get any relief of tension or anything from "stop scawing my daddy" instead I just assumed she was going to get stabbed, and thrown in a lake, and the rest of the episode would deal with Louie having to deal with a court case where public opinion has already found him guilty of murdering his youngest daughter.

Of course, the lack of solid continuity would have reversed this next episode. But you want to do a scary halloween episode, why not show your deepest fear? Louis CK doesnt give a shit, which is why I can watch his show and be legit afraid a little girl is going to die.

616610-1.png
    Sweet, Season 1 is on Netflix Instant Watch.

I thought the Halloween vignette was fucking brilliant. Feeling terrified that anything could happen to those little girls within the parameters of the show was only outweighed by the feeling of that specifically Louie feeling of hilarious discomfort at Louie's self-aware knowledge of his ineffectiveness not only as a parent, but as a human being.

It was a really humanizing moment to see Louie genuinely terrified. He's often so disaffected and aloof, that putting him in a dangerous situation really highlights his sheer humanity. It's an uncomfortable thought, that we'd all like to think we'd be able to protect our loved ones in some grand act of heroism, but in reality most of us would end up like Louie, hilariously slackjawed and inept.

See, it didnt come off as "hilariously slackjawed and inept."

I also didnt really find his ineptitude funny when the douchebag kids ruined his date at a diner. It was depressing and sad. It made me "feel" more then almost any other show, but those feelings were not funny.

I feel like Louie needs a win in at least one episode. I like to imagine he ends up getting a hand job from that super hot no masterbation chick.

616610-1.png
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Curious where/how the last ep was filmed. I wouldn't expect they'd let him bring a camera crew (or do that last bit even if they did), but I also wouldn't expect the show had the budget for all those sets and choppers and shit.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    If I had to guess, the producers probably traded some face time with some folks at Camp Pendleton for some chopper time over ye olde Southern California aka Afghanistan, got some free extras, put in some good will for the USO and the military in general, and wallah, Hollywood.

• JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    That was actually filmed in Afghanistan. It was the most expensive episode he did.

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    That was actually filmed in Afghanistan. It was the most expensive episode he did.

Cool. Got a link or some such?

Fuck off and die.
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    I totally would have had to jack it after the no masturbation chick's monologue. That was fucking hot.

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular

Nah. That'd be pretty cool, and he's definitely been to Iraq and back on the USO tour, but 'Aghanistan,' was really parts of California and Nevada. I think he wanted to try to go there for the episode but there was no way that FX was comfortable signing off on that.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Podly wrote:
    I totally would have had to jack it after the no masturbation chick's monologue. That was fucking hot.

what is wrong with you

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Podly wrote:

what is wrong with you

St.-Paul.jpg

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    Disrupter wrote:
    See, it didnt come off as "hilariously slackjawed and inept."

I also didnt really find his ineptitude funny when the douchebag kids ruined his date at a diner. It was depressing and sad. It made me "feel" more then almost any other show, but those feelings were not funny.

I feel like Louie needs a win in at least one episode. I like to imagine he ends up getting a hand job from that super hot no masterbation chick.

But if Louie wins the show isn't Louie anymore.

That's like asking Larry David to just chill out once and a while.

Thats not true though. This show isnt about Louie CK gets shit on by life. Its just trying to be realistic, and for the most part in life you DO get shit on. But every once in a while you get to win. Itd be nice to see that once, even in a small way.

I guess the knowledge he could have banged his friend but then akwardly left instead is a sort of win, followed up by epic fail.

616610-1.png
    Disrupter wrote:
    Thats not true though. This show isnt about Louie CK gets shit on by life. Its just trying to be realistic, and for the most part in life you DO get shit on. But every once in a while you get to win. Itd be nice to see that once, even in a small way.

I guess the knowledge he could have banged his friend but then akwardly left instead is a sort of win, followed up by epic fail.

I mean I guess I don't totally agree. It seems like the "win" you're looking for in this show doesn't exist. Louie wouldn't have gotten a handjob from that Christian chick because that's just not something that happens. The win in that episode is that he went home and he jerked off. And at the end of the day, Louie often gets in his own way, which sets the stage for his failure.

In the Dake Cook ep, the win would've been if he had gotten her the Lady Gaga tickets. You never see what he got her, but you know it was "the box". Dane Cook tells him to get her the box. He went against his instincts and he paid for it. That's Louie.

What's interesting is that Louie often gets the win when he's honest with himself. When he tells Doug Stanhope's character to fuck off, he succeeds. He could've completely fell for what that guy was doing to him, but he didn't. He exonerated himself and that was that. When he has dinner with his friend and goes apartment-hunting with her, he wins. I don't think you're ever going to see an episode of Louie where his "win" comes at the end of the episode. The show isn't narratively structured like that. He has a series of highs and lows and they come in a random order.

Even in last week's episode, sure the studio exec shits all over him at dinner, but he gets laughs in that room. Everyone likes him. That's his catharsis. He can go home knowing that he's good at what he does.

Maybe, to me, that is what the overall point of Louie is. That these little bullshitty things in life mean dick. You can be shit on by girls, teachers, parents, friends and whoever, but at the end of the day if you know you're good at what you do, then it's all worth it. The end of the season 1 finale where Louie has breakfast with his daughters is wonderful because he realizes that he wants to be a good dad. Fuck fame and fortune, he just wants to be a good father. This season he seemed to get validation that he was funny. That his career choice was valid, and even if he can't afford a huge house, he makes people laugh.

The finale for this season was a great reminder of that. Very little conflict, just a lot of emotion and a lot of Louie. If you haven't seen it yet, Disrupter, I recommend it. It is probably as close to bliss as Louie will ever reach in the show.

• The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Technically not the season finale - still two eps to go. Granted, with the 60-minute run time and themes, it kind of felt that way.

Unless you have early copies. In which case, the time has come to share.

The Judge on
    Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
    Haha I wish I did. Jesus everyone is giving me wrong info. My buddy was like "they're done" two weeks ago so I stopped watching. Then I found out there was more. Then another friend is like "oh hey the finale is the hour long one this week"

I need better friends.

• InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    If fucking Joan Rivers doesn't count as a win then

I don't know.

3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
    edited September 2011
    I don't mean to suggest that I wouldn't fuck Joan Rivers, but I wouldn't tally it as one of the high points in my life.

Cervetus on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Season finale was tonight. It was amazing. Hilarious, but I couldn't help but feel sorry for him at the same time. Seems to be a common mix of feelings with this show.

steam_sig.png
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    That fuckin' Halloween episode, man... I had to skip ahead. I was actually sort of surprised at my response, I don't think I would've responded anything like that 10 years ago. But it was just increeedibly uncomfortable to watch.

The Afghanistan episode, on the other hand, was probably the best fictional storyline about the war anyone's done on TV. Which is sort of sad really, it just goes to show how invisible the war's been in a lot of ways.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    Bullio wrote:
    Season finale was tonight. It was amazing. Hilarious, but I couldn't help but feel sorry for him at the same time. Seems to be a common mix of feelings with this show.

I didn't know I could feel that uncomfortable about a protagonist being happy. Hell, I don't think I've ever felt that uncomfortable about a villain being happy.

Finally watched the finale. Absolutely perfect way to end the season.

The problem with Louie is that he knows what he wants, but he's so much of a doormat that he lets everyone make his decisions.

Be it Dane Cooke with the box or some random dude about getting laid, Louie would be happier in many ways if he'd just take control of his own life.

Which, in some weird way, is what makes the ending to the episode so great.

Even though it was prompted by a miscommunication, he's made his own decision.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    The funny thing with Pamela is how she's so similar to Louie. That's simultaneously why they get along so well, and why she's not attracted to him romantically. She thinks Louie's a great guy, he's nice to her, he's honest, a good dad, and even if he does put her up on a pedestal they enjoy with each other. But just like Louie, she's not really satisfied unless she's in a relationship that makes her feel like shit. I was totally expecting her to eventually hook up with some total d-bag eventually, although I didn't really think it would be her old husband.

And I love how she's just completely avoiding the topic while they're heading into the airport. She knows it's a stupid, awful relationship that's gonna make her miserable, and she's going right for it anyway.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    Yeah, Louie following her around was painfully amazing.

The finale was great. When he walked out with that smile on his face. Perfect.

stream
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I saw the heckler scene for the first time.

Pure genius. The whole thing.

And we're back!

...and Louie's ex-wife is now black, apparently.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    fantastic.

totally fits the bizzareness of the show