Amateur attempting to shade

SkullinSkullin Registered User
edited August 2011 in Artist's Corner
A friend of mine drew the lines, and I scanned his pages and attempted to color on my iPad using sketchbook pro. I've started with a basic 'trace the lines and fill it in' method which I wasn't happy with for very long. I took a few pointers and checked out some of the art out there before working on this piece below.

nofacefinal.jpg

I just want to know if I'm heading in the right direction or if I should go back and try a different approach. You'll notice the backgrounds are very flat. I tried casting some shadows back there but it always wound up looking like there were ghosts in the room. And not the nice ghosts, they looked like those shadow people that dragged people to hell in 'Ghost'.

Just started a webcomic! Check us out at Displaced
Skullin on

• MustangMustang Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Honestly I don't like cell shading in comics, I think depth is better achieved with the inking/line weight.
    dead teamspecialolympics link about inking - fuck when did they close that off? I used to love using that tutorial.

If you look at Penny Arcade, Gabe's line work is what sells it. He'll occasionally drop some lighting effects for dramatics, but generally it's great lines and flat colour. I wouldn't worry about your backgrounds to much, but if you want to give them a little zing you can always set a low opacity texture over the top of them.

Mustang on