As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Phone Time. Blackberry Pearl?

MashalotMashalot Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So I lost my old phone, a Nokia... something or other. Small and cheap.

I had been using cingular but I think I'm gonna switch to T-Mobile.

So a few questions:

a) How easy is it to make the switch between providers and keep yr #?

b) I'm looking at the Blackberry Pearl. I think can afford the price (cnet says ~150 w/ contract) & I'd really prefer a phone w/ a camera. I sort of had an eye towards the 8800 but... yeah, no camera and $$$. I could be convinced though. Is there another Blackberry with a camera?

Another concern w/ the Pearl is actually the SureType system. I hate, hate predictive text. Can I turn it off and phone-type normally, just cycling through letters the key represents?

If I did go with a blackberry where/how can I get the best deal possible?

If I go blackberry am I barred from the usual crop of cel games?

c) I'm not necessarily fixated on getting a blackberry, another other reccommendations? It's like every phone I look at, on paper, has something crappy about it.

Mashalot on

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    As far as a is concerned, it's very easy to switch providers and keep your number. There shouldn't be any hassle.

As for b, I recently went with the Blackjack and have been very happy with it. 3G support was one of the biggest reasons I chose it over the pearl.

hunt around for deals - I got the blackjack free after rebate with only a minimum of looking online. keep an eye on places like bensbargains and fatwallet for a specific phone. i've found Amazon has pretty good cell deals as well.

another option is to go to a little wireless store and haggle yourself one. You can often save a bunch of money and do better on the contract - like getting 1 instead of 2 years.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    What's the deal with 3G?

Does the BlackJack fit comfortably in your pocket? I'm not really the holster type.

Mashalot on
  • Options
    JPArbiterJPArbiter Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    stay with cingular and get an iPhone next friday

JPArbiter on
    Sinning since 1983
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    the Blackberry Curve(8300) is basically the 8800 with a camera. If you're looking for full qwerty + camera, that's what you are looking for. If not, the pearl is pretty nice for a blackberry.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    JPArbiter wrote: »
    stay with cingular and get an iPhone next friday
    Hell no.

Unless they're having some crazy get the iPhone for $.01 with a contract deal. Then I'd consider it.

Both the Samsung and the Pearl can be scored basically for free, my budget's about $150 plus or minus a few bucks.

edit: the curve looks kind of bulky.. dunno

Mashalot on
  • Options
    whuppinswhuppins Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Caveat: In most cases, you can't keep your phone number if you're on a prepaid or pay-as-you-go plan. It's probably some global conspiracy on the part of the phone companies as opposed to some technical reason why it can't be done, but at any rate, that's the exception to the rule.

whuppins on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    whuppins wrote: »
    Caveat: In most cases, you can't keep your phone number if you're on a prepaid or pay-as-you-go plan. It's probably some global conspiracy on the part of the phone companies as opposed to some technical reason why it can't be done, but at any rate, that's the exception to the rule.

I'm not... thankfully that shouldn't be a problem. I've seen some references to a switching fee or something? Like buying a 'free' phone from amazon... some comments say they ship it with a new # then in the process of getting your old one transferred you get billed up for $250? Cripes.

Seems amazon only does AT&T/Cingular huh?

Mashalot on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Mashalot wrote: »
    What's the deal with 3G?

Does the BlackJack fit comfortably in your pocket? I'm not really the holster type.

3G - very fast data speeds. otherwise you're poking along at what feels like a 56K modem. It's a drain on the battery, so I turn it off most of the time, but if I'm going to be browsing at all I turn it on. Rendering full web pages is pretty terrible just using EDGE.

The BJ does fit fine in my pocket. It's much smaller than I thought it would be from pictures. I kept my Razr around for nights that I go out and don't want to bring the Blackjack, but I find myself not really switching them that often. I'm comfortable jsut carrying the Blackjack at all times, and I like having access to my calendar and contacts. I run an Exchange server at home and set up push email and it works great. it's nice to have it always in sync with my server back home.

Six on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Mashalot wrote: »
    whuppins wrote: »

I'm not... thankfully that shouldn't be a problem. I've seen some references to a switching fee or something? Like buying a 'free' phone from amazon... some comments say they ship it with a new # then in the process of getting your old one transferred you get billed up for $250? Cripes.

Seems amazon only does AT&T/Cingular huh?

No, you can buy TMobile, Sprint, and Verizon through amazon too.

Six on
  • Options
    blincolnblincoln Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The Pearl is a decent device, and the trackball on it is an awesome idea.

I don't think you can turn off the predictive text, but it is *really* accurate, and learns words you type that aren't in its dictionary. Give it a try before you discount it.

No, AFAIK there is no way to run games for other devices on any Blackberry. When I had one for work I looked for third-party software and found next to nothing.

The camera on it is surprisingly good.

Some things to keep in mind about it:

- It's not the most robust device ever. I ended up getting a hard plastic rubberized cover for mine.
    - It does not come with a holster or case of any kind.
    - Do not try to mount a belt clip on the battery panel, because it will snap in half and you'll have to spend two months tracking down a replacement because almost no one has them.

blincoln on
    Legacy of Kain: The Lost Worlds
    http://www.thelostworlds.net/
  • Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I can't comment on the Pearl as I haven't played with one. I can point you at another option, though, available on both Cinguarl and T-Mobile.

I've got an HTC 8125. Cingular 8125 on Cingular, I believe it's called the MDA on T-Mobile. No 3G, but it's full qwerty keyboard (the Cingular one is nicer keyboard), touchscreen, and has 802.11b/g so you can just go through your home/work/local panera wifi 99% of the time for good data speeds and go with a lower cost data plan. It has predictive typing, but it just pops up in a box below what you are typing, so you can just keep on going as usual and ignore it if you want.

Gives you games for Windows Mobile 5 and j2me games, too. It's not so good for carrying in your pocket, though, which is my main complaint. It's a bit thick, so unless you've got big pockets, you'll feel it in there.

The Blackjack, as six pointed out, is also a slick phone. A few guys here at the office have them and it's very nice.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    As nice as a full Qwerty would be I feel I really need something smaller. I can get a refurbed Pearl without a lot of hassle from AT&T for $50... I'm sure I could scrape and find cheaper but I'm lazy.

Now, the blackberry plan I was looking at was Personal Max or something. Are there any hidden costs I should be wary of?

"BlackBerry® Personal MAX Add-On includes unlimited data usage (email, MEdia™ Net, internet browsing) plus 1500 messages that include text, picture, video, & instant messages. Additional messages are $.03. Use with non-enterprise BlackBerry® with voice."

Mashalot on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    well, honestly, I've played with the pearl, and once you get used to the keyboard, it's a good little phone. Just don't go writing any books on it. short e-mails are fine, but if you want to write something long, you'll wish for qwerty.

I still have a year left on my current contract, and that's the only reason I don't have a pearl yet.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar