As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PA comic: Monday August 22, 2011

13»

• DonaldRumsfeldDonaldRumsfeld Registered User regular
    Japanese dont buy the xbox because of racismnational pride

111111A.png
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    I have them all but am still confused as to why the 360 is so less popular in Japan. Granted, I know very little about the culture and what-not but it seems largely to me that the whole "console wars" of previous generations has more or less died out. Sure, certain consoles have their proponents but most people I know have more than one. I still prefer the 360 though, because I much prefer the controller to a DualShock (what is up with those thumbstick placements?), nothing beats Live, and the download speeds are so much better on the 360.

Japanese gaming is an alien thing not easily understood by the west. Well at least these days. All my gaming friends own 360s, some of them own PS3s as well, but half of those use it as cheap blue-ray player. (Anyone I know that has a wii, isn't what I would call a gamer or they bought it for their 5 year old.) My friends who actually play games on the PS3 are either God of War fans, which is understandable, or quirky anime freak shut-ins who still think JRPGs are amazing, which after FFXIII is pretty delusional. I think the poor 360 sales are just evidence of the disconnect between the two cultures and what we prefer to spend our time playing. It isn't really that confusing.

PC gaming beats Live, but as far as consoles go I have to side with the 360. The multiplayer experience of Xbox Live lords over the laughable Sony online service.

...but honestly, if you are not gaming on your PC right now I have no idea what is wrong with you.

It's good that we have you here so we can differentiate who the true gamers are.

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    wouldn't a "lol icon" just be an icon that made you laugh?

or perhaps an icon for the game League of Legends?

• RoschenstouffeRoschenstouffe Registered User regular
    It's good that we have you here so we can differentiate who the true gamers are.

Hmmm? If your talking about the wii comment, I meant the people who I know that have them, generally don't play games at all. If it was the PC comment, you probably own a mac and I hope you are insulted... and remember, Steve Jobs hates you.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    I still remember when the Wii came out, and I wanted a "full" golf game with motion control, and the Wii Sports golf wasn't cutting it...

...so I bought Super Swing Golf.

And before long, I was convinced that Chris Hansen was coming for my ass.

• Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    Japanese dont buy the xbox because of racismnational pride

They call it xenophobia. That's why Apple does so well there.

• strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Surprised it took them that long. I've been over here three years. Going to a regular department store, Aeon or Ito Yokado, and there's not a single mention of the 360, though there is plenty of PS3/PSP/DS/Wii paraphernalia. Same for the middle sized electronics stores like Nojima or Yamada Denki. You have to go to the big guns like Yodobashi, or stores in Akihabara, to find anything for the 360. And forget about used stores like Book Off.

It's not like Japan hates all things Microsoft. Burger King even sold a special edition Whopper for them.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • DestinyamberDestinyamber Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if this was asked before, but is Square Enix included in this? I believe their FFXIII sales for the 360 were good, so I would hope they wouldn't drop out.

Nonetheless, I believe, in general, 360 gamers are not interested in Japanese games. They were more popular on Playstation 1 and 2 anyways, so naturally, Sony gamers would be more apt to play Japanese retail games.

nicolefosterdesigns.com -- web, print, and marketing services
    Steam: FallenDestiny *** XBL: xDestinyx3
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    It's worth mentioning that the 360 is regarded as a 'niche' console in Japan, much like the Saturn was in the US(sort of). It gets visual novels, shmups, and stuff like Idolmaster on the regular, mostly due in part to the 360 having a more lenient policy regarding ports and HD content(or lack thereof).

By the by: Super Swing Golf was made in Korea.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I think the only Japanese game I really, really enjoyed on the XBox was Lost Odyssey, and that's been out for aaaaaaaages.

Oh and I liked Eternal Sonata well enough I guess.

But I am relatively certain that ES was not exclusive to the 360.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
    cj iwakura wrote:
    It's worth mentioning that the 360 is regarded as a 'niche' console in Japan, much like the Saturn was in the US(sort of). It gets visual novels, shmups, and stuff like Idolmaster on the regular, mostly due in part to the 360 having a more lenient policy regarding ports and HD content(or lack thereof).

By the by: Super Swing Golf was made in Korea.

Wait, Korea isn't part of Japan?

Yes, I'm kidding. But for the purposes of this discussion, it might as well have been made in Japan. It was just an example of an otherwise decent game (somewhat) spoiled by crazy lolicon bullshit.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote:
    I think the only Japanese game I really, really enjoyed on the XBox was Lost Odyssey, and that's been out for aaaaaaaages.

ES wasn't exclusive, but it didn't see a PS3 release until over a year after its 360 release, so it may as well have been. But yeah, looking at my shelf, I only have 5 Japanese 360 games, and three of those I got for free through work. Although one of my very favorite experiences on 360 so far is Bayonetta, and while that wasn't exclusive I was under the impression that the 360 version was markedly better.

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Houk wrote:
    Vivixenne wrote:

ES wasn't exclusive, but it didn't see a PS3 release until over a year after its 360 release, so it may as well have been. But yeah, looking at my shelf, I only have 5 Japanese 360 games, and three of those I got for free through work. Although one of my very favorite experiences on 360 so far is Bayonetta, and while that wasn't exclusive I was under the impression that the 360 version was markedly better.

I did forget about Bayonetta! Loved that game, but yeah, not exclusive. I think by and large though if a game wasn't exclusive to the PS3 (or if there wasn't some special deal going on for the PS3 version like there was for Portal 2), we've almost always bought games for the 360 instead.

It might be the controller or something, but somehow it just feels more... comfortable, I guess? to play games on the 360.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I am trying to think of the Japanese games I have.

Bayonetta.

Enslaved

And the rubbish star collection game.

I would be interested to see what percentage of the market Japanese sales are now.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote:
    I am trying to think of the Japanese games I have.

Bayonetta.

Enslaved

And the rubbish star collection game.

I would be interested to see what percentage of the market Japanese sales are now.

Enslaved isn't Japanese at all. The developer is in the UK.

• Wandering IdiotWandering Idiot Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Zandracon wrote:
    Train games are interesting.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZiGiMYy084

As someone who's seen several seasons of Initial D, this amuses me far more than it should. The character designs aren't quite hideous enough, though.

EDIT:
    Apple Pie wrote:
    The sad thing is, I wouldn't be surprised if this already existed.

I hate you for inspiring me to make this image search.

18489-620x-anime-train-tunnel-21333.jpeg.jpg

I hate you even more now.

I'm.... just going to go lie down for a bit now. With a gun in my mouth.

Wandering Idiot on
    Zandracon wrote:

As someone who's seen several seasons of Initial D, this amuses me far more than it should. The character designs aren't quite hideous enough, though.

No idea what Initial D is, and I'm gonna keep it that way, but I know I skipped to a random spot in the middle of that video only to see a guy in a business suit and do-rag, while terrible music played. So I was adequately amused.

• acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Barrakketh wrote:
    kingworks wrote:
    Why is it 'lolicon' instead of just loli?

Doesn't the 'con' denote some sort of public gathering?
    No, as the quoted snippet from the Wikipedia article mentions it's a Japanese portmanteau of the phrase "Lolita complex".

but wouldn't a portmanteau make it lolita conplex? Why isn't it lolicom?

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • InXplotchInXplotch Registered User regular
    Random interjection, but the newspost reminded me, man I really want mike and jerry to do a Catherine comic. I'm sure there's a joke in there.

PSN: InXplotch
    ... My, what a boring Signature.
  • faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    Barrakketh wrote:
    kingworks wrote:

No, as the quoted snippet from the Wikipedia article mentions it's a Japanese portmanteau of the phrase "Lolita complex".

japanese

faits.png
  • DestinyamberDestinyamber Registered User regular
    InXplotch wrote:
    Random interjection, but the newspost reminded me, man I really want mike and jerry to do a Catherine comic. I'm sure there's a joke in there.

That would be a good one to talk about. I would be interested in hearing what they think about it.

nicolefosterdesigns.com -- web, print, and marketing services
    Steam: FallenDestiny *** XBL: xDestinyx3
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Barrakketh wrote:
    kingworks wrote:

Because the Japanese syllabary doesn't have a way to follow an m with a consonant (they don't have "m" as a sound by itself, only in combination with the vowels - ma, mi, mu, me, mo). The only "letter" that can do that in Japanese is n, so pretty much any time they adopt a word from another language where a consonant follows an m, the m becomes an n.

Curiously, oftentimes when we render Japanese words in English where an n comes before a consonant, it becomes an m, like in the word tempura.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    Zandracon wrote:

I really like initial D in spite of the character design

I think it's a testament to the show's quality that I can get past such fucked-up looking characters

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote:
    Zandracon wrote:

No idea what Initial D is, and I'm gonna keep it that way, but I know I skipped to a random spot in the middle of that video only to see a guy in a business suit and do-rag, while terrible music played. So I was adequately amused.

Initial D is just a series of street racing/drifting anime and video games.

god dammit Japan.

go to your room.

you go to your room and think about what you have done.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    jwalk wrote:
    god dammit Japan.

go to your room.

you go to your room and think about what you have done.

And no playing the XBox either!

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Initial D is actually a great racing game.

Good manga, too.

wVEsyIc.png
    cj iwakura wrote:

Good manga, too.

Business-suit-do-rag guy would suggest otherwise, but I guess I'll believe you.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote:

Good manga, too.

Right, and manga.

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Barrakketh wrote:
    kingworks wrote:

except that would be lolicom, not lolicon.

Edit: whoooooooooooooooooooooops

Langly on
    Coming Soon to a theater near you, a new loli-com starring Ben Afflect and Jennifer Anniston.

• KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    jwalk wrote:
    Coming Soon to a theater near you, a new loli-com starring Ben Afflect and Caitlin Carmichael.