As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA comic: Wednesday August 24, 2011

BogeyBogey I'm back, baby!Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
edited August 2011 in The Penny Arcade Hub
i-SNtq6WK-XL.jpg
Deus Ex has questions, certainly; that is its basic idea. It has questions about things, and for you, and it also trains you to ask questions of your own about the spaces you inhabit and the events that transpire there.

As soon as this trailer hit, it should have been pretty clear that we were no longer in fuck around territory; it should have become clear that shit was getting progressively more real. Good God does this game get a hook in, and early. We do not twinkle in the critical firmament, as others do: I got the game when you did, so I’m in no position to hold forth. But the game has set up shop in my mind, it hums and clangs when I desperately need this mind for other purposes.

The original version of the strip had a typo, which have come to be known as “Tychpos” by the streaming channel, on account of their origin. I have replaced the original strip with a “fixed” one against my better judgement. The first one had duplicate words in it, which means more content, and hence more value to the end consumer.

For this I will not apologize, you’ll never get me copper, etc.

After emerging from a prolonged darkness in which there was only Halo, Bungie emerged blinkingly from that place and then decided they would act as Publisher for mobile and social games for some reason. That’s their prerogative; they can do what they want ta do. Where I start to pay attention is when they start getting friendly with weirdo factories like Harebrained Schemes, which I’d heard about due to their Transmedia Poe Experience because that is the kind of thing I hear about.

While the stories I’ve read have mentioned the the first collaboration between these two - specifically, Crimson: Steam Pirates - they haven’t made a point of mentioning the involvement of storied bad-ass and Crimson Skies creator Jordan Wiesman, who I guarantee has brought you joy beyond measure. Nor have they drawn the obvious parallels between this game and Steambirds, which you can tell from the screens it is thoroughly, er, “inspired” by. There’s a much better story there, just on the periphery of the circulated press release; it only takes about about five seconds to find it.

(CW)TB out.

(pow)
The Penny Arcade store will have a bunch of cool stuff this year at PAX.

Here is a look at the T-Shirts we will have on hand. You can see we’ve added a Hot Dog Fairy shirt this year. It’s a PAX inside joke that goes way back. We’ve also got the PAX 2011 shirt, these go fast every year so if you want one you should try and get it on the first day.

i-RrXLmcF.jpg

We will also have a few hoodies available even though it will be sunny and in the 70’s this weekend.

i-sL9Fn6v.jpg

Those of you with Astro A30 headphones may want to pick up our new Speaker Tags. The design this year features Gabe and Tycho riding a magical unicorn from our anniversary book.
You’ll be the hit of the Lan party with these super masculine tags!

i-p79nnWN.jpg

Finally we are trying out a new bonus system this year. If you buy stuff we will give you free stuff. Here’s the breakdown.

i-kmSv7Ft.jpg

-Gabe out

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
PSN: Bogestrom
Rankenphile on

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    "Filled with to the rim."

Yayyyyy Deus Ex comic, game is so good and highly deserving of at least one.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Man now I'm bummed I can't get laser eyes.

• Options
    DruexDruex Registered User regular
    Could be worse, he could expect a laser penis.

"It would be a sad error in judgement to mistake me for a corpse" - Kane : Tiberian Sun
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    I would totally take laser-eyes. Even just laser-pointer-eyes.

• Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    As someone who has been raped by eye lasers I find this comic offensive, personally insulting and demand it be removed from the internet forever.
    Dumb eye-fixer surgery for stupids is fantastic and will change your life. If you need eye-fixing and are stupid I recommend it.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I would but my stupid eyes will never cease in their slow but constant deterioration. They'd fix me up good and then like 6 months later I'd be back in glasses again and crying at the wasted money. That is if my tear ducts haven't been cauterised shut.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    I had LES done around five years ago. I love it. Only side effect I've noticed is increased sensitivity to sunlight, but that might be due to wearing glasses with tinted lenses for several years. Sunglasses work well regardless.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    I don't see the point of dumb eye-fixer surgery for stupids.

1. Can no longer wear sweet designer frames
    2. Non-zero chance of it fucking up

That said I remember wearing contacts for the first time. It was raining and I was like "OMG I can still see everything!" Fun novelty.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I really need to get my eyes checked. I'm the last one in the family without glasses/lenses. Suppose I had a good run.

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    I would not want to be within 50 feet of Gabe playing with nunchucks.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    I've been waiting for my friend to go blind from his dumb eye-fixer surgery for stupids, he hasn't so far.

Friends are the best Guinea pigs.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Everyone I've known who has had laser eye surgery still has to wear glasses.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    Hunter wrote:
    I would not want to be within 50 feet of Gabe playing with nunchucks.

50? Hunter, that's crazy talk. Be safer at 200.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    My mum was close to offering me eye surgery one birthday, but I pointed out that I've worn glasses since I was five and, apart from a brief period of contact lenses for acting and sailing, I haven't known any different. Plus my eyes are so bad it probably wouldn't take, like Jam Warrior.

I would maybe go back to contacts, but I don't blink enough so my eyes are prone to drying out.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    My vision is augmented.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Yeah, I keep saying when I get the money to throw around, I'm definitely getting corrective surgery, but the non-zero chance of going blind is kind of off-putting. It ain't losing a finger, that's serious business.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I'm trying to remember who I heard say it, but I remember a comment from someone who'd had laser-eye surgery mentioning being able to smell burning eye.

If my eyesight should ever start to fade, I will be glasses all the way.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    KorlashKorlash Québécois TorontoRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote:
    I really need to get my eyes checked. I'm the last one in the family without glasses/lenses. Suppose I had a good run.

I was the same... until September. I am getting contacts ASAP. After living 22 years without glasses, they are a major annoyance now.

396796-1.png
  • Options
    XArchangelXXArchangelX Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Not going to lie, I was pretty disappointed when I discovered that laser eye surgery did not entail the surgical implantation of a laser in your eyes.

I was like, finally.

Then I was like :(

XArchangelX on
    Eve Online is a terrible game, but I used to play, for the lulz!
    Steam
    Only the strong can help the weak.
  • Options
    Skelly BSkelly B Registered User regular
    I think seeing 4inal Destination has ensured that I will never get stupid eye fixer surgery.

(I know that's not the title, but it seems like it would be.)

• Options
    Rogue LemonRogue Lemon AVATAR BOX TOO TIGHT, 50 YEARS DUNGEON!Registered User regular
    You guys know what's awesome? Having 20/15 vision in a family of glasses-wearers. Dad still thinks my mom fucked a sexy mailman with amazing eyes.

Tentaclemon.jpg
    STEAM: BioSpark // POKEMON: 0303 9578 6730
  • Options
    MaigaardMaigaard Registered User regular
    "Filled with to the rim with"? Do they not proof-read?
    Also, I'd totally go for a pair of laser-eyes. Or getting my colorblind-ness fixed.

• Options
    Maigaard wrote:
    Also, I'd totally go for a pair of laser-eyes. Or getting my colorblind-ness fixed.

They're synonyms and sound very similar, so, who cares?

• Options
    kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
    Numb-chucks.

Because that what happens when you whack yourself with them - violent pain followed by throbbing numbness.

• Options
    Javen wrote:
    Maigaard wrote:

He's not pointing out rim vs. brim, he's pointing out the duplication of the word "with."

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    whoops?
    Bogey wrote:
    i-WB2SdgT-XL.jpg

Im guessing they edited to fix the typo...

i-SNtq6WK-XL.jpg

jwalk on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    My eye doctor told me that by the time I need glasses, technology will be sufficient to ensure that I won't need glasses. I'm not saying I'm envious of people who have glasses, but I have certainly considered wearing prescriptionless frames simply for style and image.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    kingworks wrote:
    Numb-chucks.

Because that what happens when you whack yourself with them - violent pain followed by throbbing numbness.

you're thinking of dumb-chucks

for stupids.

• Options
    Gaslight wrote:
    Javen wrote:
    Maigaard wrote:

He's not pointing out rim vs. brim, he's pointing out the duplication of the word "with."

What about that first line in his post leads you to that conclusion?

• Options
    MaigaardMaigaard Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Javen wrote:
    Gaslight wrote:
    Javen wrote:
    Maigaard wrote:

What about that first line in his post leads you to that conclusion?

Maybe I shouldn't have left "rim" in bold. I just wrote everything as it's written in the strip. But yeah, I was pointing out the double "with"s.
    EDIT: but hey, it's been fixed, so no biggie!

Maigaard on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    I still cannot understand you kids thinking glasses are stylish
    I have sever eye problems but they are fixed pretty handily by contact lenses
    Contact lens technology has advanced to the point where I don't even notice I have them in most of the time

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    LucreelLucreel Registered User regular
    Rolo wrote:
    wow

If that's true, I would expect a lawsuit from On Live against GameStop. I'm pretty sure that sort of anti-competitive interference is illegal, at least in the U.S. Also, if GameStop does not specifically indicate that they have modified the product, customers can probably sue them for false advertising - e.g. there was no indication they were buying a box where the contents had been modified from what is normally available from every other retailer.

Bonus fun: It would be totally awesome if a GameStop employee refused to follow this order, based upon the belief that the action was probably illegal, and then was fired by GameStop. Could have a whole other lawsuit for wrongful termination. I mean, it might not be awesome for the employee at first, being fired and all, but if he/she can get a big fat settlement out of it, might be pretty awesome for them in the end.

• Options
    The original version of the strip had a typo, which have come to be known as “Tychpos” by the streaming channel, on account of their origin. I have replaced the original strip with a “fixed” one against my better judgement. The first one had duplicate words in it, which means more content, and hence more value to the end consumer.

• Options
    GameSlop is bullshit anyway, they sell opened games as "new". I watched a clerk do this right in front of me one time, he took a used disc out of some baggie he had stashed behind the counter and put it inside an opened box. I asked him to please get a "new" copy since that one was obviously opened, therefore it can no longer be called "new" (legally, that would be known as "used"). He said no, it WAS new, and it was just their "policy" to open up games like that but still sell them as new. Policy my ASS, I'm pretty sure that's called "fraud", which last time I checked was illegal... Anyway I don't shop there any more, not when I can pick up a nice shiny BRAND NEW shrink-wrapped copy from Best Buy up the street...

Oh and it doesn't smell like fuckin FEET in the BB either..

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I keep clicking on the PATV Spoilers shirt in Gabe's post hopping to see it in more detail.

I wish they offered more of their shirts in white/light colors. I'm (more than) set for black tees.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    BusterK wrote:
    I still cannot understand you kids thinking glasses are stylish
    I have sever eye problems but they are fixed pretty handily by contact lenses
    Contact lens technology has advanced to the point where I don't even notice I have them in most of the time

I wear soft contacts for sports, but unless you're rocking some granddad frames or something off the NHS glasses are awesome. I don't wear a watch so it's pretty much my only accessory.
    ...No homo.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote:

I call fraud
    Tycho has gone into the strip and removed previously available content
    There has to be a law against this

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    I did in fact let out a little squeal when I saw the name "Jordan Weisman" and the words "Crimson Skies."

Unfortunately, I don't own an iPad. :(

Maybe I could borrow my dad's...

• Options
    Colt45Colt45 Registered User regular
    everyone count how many times a different variation of the phrase "I didn't ask for this" is uttered in the icarus trailer. I just watched it and the game looks phenomenal, but the whiny-ness kind of got to me there. I didn't ask to have [badass] robot arms, I just got them for free somehow. Hardly seems like the short end of the stick from here.