As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Great Foodening - PAX Food Destinations 2011

124»

• JaydoJaydo Registered User regular
    Somehow no one has mentioned Mee Sum Pastry at pike place market, really close to Piroshky Piroshky. (another major foodie destination)

Their glory: Bao (meat and sauce stuffed buns) the size of your face in several varieties for less than $3.00 a bun.

They do chicken, curry beef, and bbq pork. I recommend the beef and pork over the chicken, mostly because the chicken one kinda tastes like chicken pot pie, and isn't all that exciting.

That little shack has become a staple in my PAX experience over the years.

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    As a local... LOTS of places have great, affordable seafood downtown. I think the last time I paid more than $18 for a nice seafood dinner, it was whole crab and lobster. Any of the Ivar's restaurants are great (Ivar Haglund was a local Scandinavian-Seattle radio celeb for years and year). If you want affordable high end, try happy hour almost anywhere - happy hour is HUGE HUGE HUGE right now. Elliott's Oyster House has a slammin' happy hour, McCormick & Schmick's (Yeah yeah, it's a chain. It's still good.), Anthony's, or anything on the waterfront.

BTW, Ballard Brothers Burgers in Ballard has the BEST cajun salmon burger ever. Just sayin'.

PS BTW, Cafe Mox (as noted above) is a gaming pub very near the PA offices, frequented by all the PA guys regularly, and is the same as the 'Card Kindgom' mentioned repeatedly in the comics. *Sigh* my heart still belongs to the AFK. Mox is a little on the hipster side for my tastes, but it's still pretty stinkin' cool.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • GermanCityGirlGermanCityGirl Twitter Administrator SeattleRegistered User regular
    Wann is open until 0200 on Fridays and Saturdays, midnight for the rest of the week. Food is served until one hour before close and they have two HH daily 4:00pm - 7:00pm and late nights on Fri/Sat from 10:00pm - 2:00am. It's an izakaya serving Japanese fare (sushi/yakitori) in Belltown, over on 2nd and Lenora.

MOD Pizza is open Mon-Sat 10:30am – 7pm. Their pies are all $6.28 each with salads around $4.00. They are an easy walk from WSCTC and located at 1302 Sixth Avenue.

13 Coins is open 24 hours. I'd call it an upscale Denny's, a bit pricey but the food is good with a full bar. HH menu twice a day in the bar, Mon-Sat from 4pm to 6pm and then 10pm to last call, and on Sundays from 4pm to last call. They are at 125 Boren Ave N, between Denny Way and John.

The I.D. has a plethora of excellent food choices including the food court located inside Uwajimaya. I can also recommend:

- Kau Kau Barbeque, open every day until 10pm, Fri-Sat until 11pm. They do Chinese BBQ, roasted duck as well as regular Chinese fare. Credit cards accepted, 656 S King St @S Maynard Ave.

- Szechuan Noodle Bowl open daily Tue-Sun 11:30 am - 9 pm, killer noodle soups, handmade dumplings and some of the best green onion pancake in Seattle. Cash only but quite cheap, 420 8th Ave S.

- Hong Kong Bistro open until 2am Mon-Thu, Fri-Sat until 3am and midnight on Sundays. HK cafe-style dishes done perfectly and great for groups. 511 Maynard Ave S, between King and Weller.

Next PAX: PAX East 2013
    Previous PAX: PAX Prime 2012

"Money can't buy you love, but it can get you some really good chocolate ginger biscuits."
  • CattAttackCattAttack Registered User regular
    Lunchbox Laboratory:
    1253 Thomas St (One block over from REI)
    http://lunchboxlaboratory.com/
    I'd say its a bit more expensive than your normal burger place... About 15$ for a MONSTER sized burger and a side. (Google image search Lunchbox Labs and just drool at the burgers, man.)

13 Coins
    125 Boren Ave N
    24 Hours, and a bit more upscale (and pricier to boot) than the Hurricane or 5 Point.
    http://www.13coins.com/

The Cyclops
    2421 1st Ave (1st and Wall)
    Quite good for a beer or two and a fairly good burger, or an appetizer.
    http://www.cyclopsseattle.com/

Kushibar
    2319 2nd Ave (2nd and Bell)
    Some pretty good Izakaya style cooking and Noodle bowls. Fairly cheap depending on what you order.
    http://www.kushibar.com/lunch.html

• TheJackylTheJackyl Registered User regular
    Talaricos
    4718 California Ave SW
    http://www.talaricoswest.com
    Best damn pizza bar/lounge in Seattle. Been going here for years. Great happy hours with $5 14" slices.

Mashiko
    4725 California Ave SW
    http://sushiwhore.com/
    Right across the street in the Junction. Excellent sushi place. Definitely on the pricier side.

The 55 bus takes you straight to and from downtown to West Seattle's Junction. Many native Seattlites don't even know about these gems.

• cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    So I've terribly been in the mood for chocolate lately and want to check out any shops in the area. I know there is a place called Fran's that google pulled up, but is there any other places one could suggest good chocolate to take home?

• irikahirikah Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    The
    cocowoushi wrote:
    So I've terribly been in the mood for chocolate lately and want to check out any shops in the area. I know there is a place called Fran's that google pulled up, but is there any other places one could suggest good chocolate to take home?

Theo's Chocolates (http://www.theochocolate.com/)

They're one of two chocolate makers in the states the make the chocolate from the bean (they roast and everything thing else)! They've got some great bars, and you can buy seconds at a huge discount. They also do tours (totally worth it), and I'd definitely call ahead to see if you can get in on one.

irikah on
    .life.laugh.love.
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Chocolati http://www.chocolati.com/new/home.php
    Dilettante http://www.dilettante.com/ (One of the first local chocolatiers in the area. Maybe the first? not sure.)

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Might have to try that MOD Pizza. There seems to be lots of other places close as well

kube00 on
    1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

Twitter:kube00
  • cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    Thanks for the Chocolately suggestions!

• CattAttackCattAttack Registered User regular
    Random thought:
    I know last year several restaurants in and around downtown had specials/discounts for people wearing PAX badges. (The Night Kitchen comes to mind with 50% off their Fried Cheese Curds, which were fan-freakin'-tastic) Does anyone know if this is happening again this year?

• ManoaManoa Registered User regular
    cocowoushi wrote:

Fran's is excellent (their salted caramels are to die for!) and I second the motion for Theo's Chocolates. If you're a fan of chocolate-covered cherries, Chukar Cherries are most fantastic. The Campfire Smore by Seattle Chocolates is also quite tasty.

If you'd like to pick up chocolates from different chocolatiers without all the running around to various stores, the Made in Washington in Westlake carries a nice variety of chocolates from the area's more popular chocolatiers (http://www.madeinwashington.com/).

• TheJackylTheJackyl Registered User regular
    Thought up a few more really great places much closer to the convention center.

Rancho Bravo
    1001 E Pine St
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/rancho-bravo-seattle
    Cheap, awesome Mexican food (my credentials? 8 years living in Texas, 4 in El Paso/Juarez). They're open Fri & Sat till 3am! Expect it to be packed.

In The Bowl
    1554 E Olive Way
    http://inthebowlbistro.com/
    Great all vegetarian/Thai joint. Great fake meat. Also on the cheap side.

Boom Noodle
    1121 E Pike Street
    http://www.boomnoodle.com
    One of the few good Japanese places in Seattle. Everyday happy "hour" from 3-7 and 10-close.

Dahlia Bakery
    http://tomdouglas.com/index.php?page=dahlia-bakery
    2001 4th Ave
    Another great Tom Douglas place, right around the corner from Serious Pie. All sorts of great pastries but by far the best thing is their little bags of breakfast doughnuts that come with mascarpone and seasonal jam. These sell out daily so get there early!

Piroshky Piroshky
    http://www.piroshkybakery.com/
    1908 Pike Place
    Their cream cheese and berry vatrushkas are seriously addictive.

And I'm spent.

• tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    Has anyone tried that Pig shaped food truck I keep hearing about (Minimus/Maximus). I've seen it pop up on several completely random food websites, and as I like to try food trucks, I'm intrigued.

tsrblke wrote:
    Has anyone tried that Pig shaped food truck I keep hearing about (Minimus/Maximus). I've seen it pop up on several completely random food websites, and as I like to try food trucks, I'm intrigued.

I've never given them a try...but every time I see them downtown, there's always a decent amount of people getting food from them. If you plan on getting food from them during PAX, I highly suggest hitting them at Pike and 2nd on Friday the 26th between 11am-2pm, as that is the only time during PAX they're scheduled to be in downtown.

• GeekyPrincessGeekyPrincess Registered User regular
    There's a wood fired pizza place at 2nd and Pine. I haven't been to the Seattle location yet but the Bellevue one is tasty and fast!

Cookie Brigade Prime 2011 and 2012!
    Shipping cookies for Prime 2013
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    I have recently been informed of Li'l Woody's. Burgers for under $10 for the budget-conscious crowd and quite close to the WSCC.

E6LkoFK.png

• PastyPasty cutscenesmith Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Yeah, so I made this thing. It's a Google Map containing every place listed on the spreadsheet, plus Shorty's. I also included a McDonalds in Bellevue for absolutely no reason other than that I thought it would be funny. I originally made this for personal use but thought that people could use it, maybe, probably. I mean, if you want, I'm not gonna judge

It's formatted for smartphone users (specifically iPhone users who use the default Google Maps app), and it includes food type and price rating in the place name (because the iPhone doesn't allow you to even show the plain text field). You can also roll the KML file if you feel so inclined and your phone supports it.

iPhone users: just get the URL into your phone somehow (typing it in directly is gonna be painful so send yourself an e-mail or something) and copy/paste the link into the Google Maps search bar. At that point you should get every pin that's on this map. List View is your friend!

Android users: I'm sure there's a way to use it with Android, I just don't know what that would be.

Caution: I had to manually input the following entries it wouldn't let me select the business for: Blue Moon Burgers, Mee Sum Pastry, Po Dog, Sweet Iron Waffles, Via Tribulani, and Victrola Coffee. They should be right, though. In all cases, I've used the spreadsheet so none of these places should pin out in Nowheresville, Greenvale, Ünterland, or any other far away place you might imagine.

edit: removed night kitchen :(

Pasty on
  • MelceneMelcene Tacoma, WARegistered User regular
    cocowoushi wrote:

There's also a See's Candies shop right across from Westlake (if it's still there, anyway).

melcene-wide.png
    mogablah-BlackUserbar.gif
  • InitialdorInitialdor Seattle's Carl Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I've slapped together a Fast Food Map of downtown, and forgive me for focusing on the fast food joints, but the point of this map is economy and speed. This map is for the quick lunch bite (I've put in a few of the restaurant-y places that I know first-hand for good measure.)
    Xsko5.jpg

Legend:
    Red dots are the venues.
    Yellow dots are restaurant-level places (slower, sit-down style.)
    Green dots are fast.

Addendum:
    -There's also a Qdoba in the same intersection as the Chipotle. (thx hiddenllama.)

-Automated maps get the Jimmy John's location wrong; use the door where I put the dot. (There's also a sushi place (Kudasai) and and flatbread place (Sandella's) in there too. thx recycledair.)

-I hear nothing but good things about MOD Pizza... plus it's fast and you can reach it through Freeway Park behind the PAX Merch Booth. (One of the access paths for the park is just under that "University St." label. The street view of that spot is from '08 and I didn't get around there last year... The pictures of that MOD Pizza all point to that corner, but it could be in nearby Union Square.)

Initialdor on
    2018 West: Badges [x] TWDT [Rclaw TT] Cosplay: Still bald. Still single. Still lovin' it!
    "Fantasy football still counts as fantasy." -DnD Greg
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    Hey all,

The Night Kitchen closed forever last week. Please scratch it from your lists of most awesome places to eat. :(

5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • voxparsevoxparse Registered User new member
    Uneeda Burger. A little upscale but it might be the best burger you ever eat. It isn't walking distance from the convention but a short car/bus ride to Fremont is worth it for more than one reason.

• palmerpalmer Registered User regular
    Pasty wrote:
    iPhone users: just get the URL into your phone somehow (typing it in directly is gonna be painful so send yourself an e-mail or something) and copy/paste the link into the Google Maps search bar. At that point you should get every pin that's on this map. List View is your friend!

Android users: I'm sure there's a way to use it with Android, I just don't know what that would be.

Attempting the iPhone method on my Android returns
    "This community map cannot be displayed because it contains errors"

• kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular
    thanks for the food maps!

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

Twitter:kube00
  • ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Liger wrote:
    Hey all,

The Night Kitchen closed forever last week. Please scratch it from your lists of most awesome places to eat. :(

DANG! That was on my list :(

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• tokyodovetokyodove Perth, WARegistered User regular
  • TwinkieTwinkie Registered User regular
    cocowoushi wrote:

Dilettante and Chocolati are fine, and Theo's is wonderful. If you want all of the options, however, I would direct you here: http://www.chocolopolis.com/

Their selection is amazing. They've organised it all geographically so you can take a little world tour of all the chocolates. They carry only the best from artisan chocolatiers including local (like Theo), domestic, and imported/global makers, and they make some damn tasty espresso and cocoa drinks!

• TwinkieTwinkie Registered User regular
    ElmoFuntz wrote:
    Liger wrote:
    Hey all,

You know who is still open late-night downtown and is Tasty McTasterson? Biscuit Bitch. You should look those guys up.

• doubleonaddoubleonad Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents for additions to the list.
    Paseo - Someone already mentioned it but I can't stress enough how awesome the pork sandwiches are. Maybe I shouldn't, so there will be enough for me...
    Blue Moon Burgers - I had a salted caramel milkshake here last year and it rocked my world.
    Red Mill Burgers - OMG so much bacon
    Paddy Coyne's - Cool little Irish pub. Went there on a whim and it did not disappoint. Awesome soda bread. Try the Dublin Coddle or the Shepherd's Pie.

You've already got Pike Brewery on the list, so I want to recommend the Bratwurst. It's my favorite.
    And if you haven't had the fresh donuts just inside the entrance to Pike Place, do so. They're great and the employees are always friendly.
    Also inside Pike Place - Sosio's Fruit/Produce - Get the OMG Peaches or Nectarines. Since PAX is earlier this year, we might even be there in time for Rainier cherries. They might be out of season already, though.

doubleonad on
    Has anyone tried Marination? It's a lunch truck, so it moves around. I didn't get a chance to catch it last year. It's korean/hawaiian/mexican mixed together and it sounds great.
    http://marinationmobile.com/menu

• soonerjuddsoonerjudd Registered User regular
    doubleonad wrote:
    Has anyone tried Marination? It's a lunch truck, so it moves around. I didn't get a chance to catch it last year. It's korean/hawaiian/mexican mixed together and it sounds great.

I've had Marination a few times and it's great, one of mine and my wife's favorites. They also have a stationary storefront now a few blocks from the convention center at about Pike and Broadway. Haven't tried that yet, but I assume it's the same goodness.

soonerjudd wrote:
    doubleonad wrote:

I've had Marination a few times and it's great, one of mine and my wife's favorites. They also have a stationary storefront now a few blocks from the convention center at about Pike and Broadway. Haven't tried that yet, but I assume it's the same goodness.

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I will definitely give it a try.

Twinkie wrote:
    ElmoFuntz wrote:
    Liger wrote:
    Hey all,

You know who is still open late-night downtown and is Tasty McTasterson? Biscuit Bitch. You should look those guys up.

Yep they are on my list as well! Sadly it is just Fri and Sat isn't it?

vn6ID15.png

• MrDoctorProfessorMrDoctorProfessor Registered User regular
    Wooo! My thread lives on! I will have to try my damndest to make it to PAX next year come hell or highwater. This makes two years in a row that Ive bought passes and had to cancel. Eat some good food for me folks!

noAZAb5.png?1
    Hey Satan!
    Steam
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Dinette has the best sandwiches in all of Seattle. And they're located 1514 East Olive Way. Friday they'll be open 11:30-2:30 and Saturday 12:00-2:30 for their sandwiches. Seriously, really good fucking sandwiches.

Just had Molly moons ice cream omg the salted caramel is awesome!

vn6ID15.png

• mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Dinette has BBQ pork, cured meat, truffle eggwich, pork belly lettuce tomato, cubano and pesto sandwich today

• bluberry faeriebluberry faerie Registered User new member
    MOAR -=- Vegan /Vegetarian options for your visit to Seattle (In order of MY personal preference)

The Highline Bar w/booze /&/ Vegan Bar Food (burger/fries) also featuring very Loud Metal / Punk and balcony seating (On Broadway) $/$$

Bamboo Garden
    (Near Space Needle - Ride The Monorail there!) - 100% Vegetarian - Asian cuisine with meat substitutes, large portions! $/$$

Michou - Delicious, fresh and fast variety of panini sandwiches and pasta / grain salads in Pike Pl Mkt, eat in or quick to go $

Bamboo Garden[/url] (Near Space Needle - Ride The Monorail there!) - 100% Vegetarian - Asian cuisine with meat substitutes, large portions! $/$$

They are certified Kosher as well, for those who keep Kosher.

• jumpman-jrjumpman-jr Registered User regular
    MOAR -=- Vegan /Vegetarian options for your visit to Seattle (In order of MY personal preference)

A few more vegan places that are worth getting food at are below. They aren't near the convention center, but you can easily get there and back via bus (~20min each way). All are in the u-dist, are within view of each other (near 55th and the Ave) and are decently priced (and are 100% vegan):

Wayward - http://www.yelp.com/biz/wayward-cafe-seattle (daytime goodness, pancakes, etc.)
    Pizza Pi - http://www.yelp.com/biz/pizza-pi-vegan-pizzeria-seattle (pizza, calzones, etc.)
    Sidecar - http://www.yelp.com/biz/sidecar-for-pigs-peace-seattle (small convenience-type store with many goodies)

I guess this info is too late for pax 2011, but if there's a 2012 then keep these spots in mind