As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Comics & stuff

MeerkatMeerkat Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Artist's Corner
I've been doing research and concept drawings for a comic idea I've had for almost a year now. I never really got down to actually draw out pages, mostly just gathering material and just drawing one concept after the other. Just about a week ago, after taking a long break from the project, it was obvious that I was getting nowhere and that this entire idea would just go down the drain unless I actually started drawing the pages.

These are the first few pages I have sketched out, it's about a elven druid who is learning his role in life.

druid_page_1DIA.jpg

druid_page_2DIA.jpg

druid_page_3DIA.jpg

druid_page_4DIA.jpg

druid_page_5DIA.jpg

druid_page_6.jpg

druid_page_7_3.jpg

I can give a little more info on the story if people are interested, I'll update as I draw more pages and make more concepts.

Meerkat on

• DestinyamberDestinyamber Registered User regular
    I'd like to hear more about the story because it's hard to judge a comic strip without context. Nonetheless, I like how the comic is laid out layout wise.

nicolefosterdesigns.com -- web, print, and marketing services
    Steam: FallenDestiny *** XBL: xDestinyx3
  • squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's difficult to tell how well the paneling is serving the story with no idea of what's being said, etc.. I'd love to see a page taken further.

header_image_sm.jpg
  • MeerkatMeerkat Registered User regular
    Destinyamber & squidbunny, thanks so much for the response. I edited the initial post so now the strips actually have dialogue. It might be just as rough as the drawings since I haven't gone over them.

It was a bit silly not to write anything about the story. The story is about a very young druid (or perhaps he could be called a forest spirit) who goes through a series of tests. He is like this bridge between the spirit & human world. This role requires many traits, such as patience, intellect, forgiving etc.. The first chapter is about patience, and what is happening in the first few pages is actually a test.. A test to see if he has patience or not, and in that respect he fails miserably. The tree is going to send him out on a small quest, a quest that will teach him the importance of patience. As the chapters go on he will meet the other spirits who are acquainted with the traits he is required to learn.

Thats pretty much the core idea of the story! :)

• squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    That really wide padding shot of the birds sitting on the branch is a good beat. I like padding shots, and also panel diversity. You've got both there.

Keep us updated!

header_image_sm.jpg
  • NamNam Registered User regular
    Meerkat wrote:
    Destinyamber & squidbunny, thanks so much for the response. I edited the initial post so now the strips actually have dialogue. It might be just as rough as the drawings since I haven't gone over them.

It was a bit silly not to write anything about the story. The story is about a very young druid (or perhaps he could be called a forest spirit) who goes through a series of tests. He is like this bridge between the spirit & human world. This role requires many traits, such as patience, intellect, forgiving etc.. The first chapter is about patience, and what is happening in the first few pages is actually a test.. A test to see if he has patience or not, and in that respect he fails miserably. The tree is going to send him out on a small quest, a quest that will teach him the importance of patience. As the chapters go on he will meet the other spirits who are acquainted with the traits he is required to learn.

Thats pretty much the core idea of the story! :)

Reading this I have to say it sounds a lot like Zelda. Maybe that's just me though.

I think you should add some more things/elements to differentiate it.

• maritzacmaritzac Registered User regular
    I would definitely like to see more.

• Victory-primeVictory-prime Registered User new member
    seems like an interesting comic. can't wait to see more.

viclink2011.jpg
  • MeerkatMeerkat Registered User regular
    Thanks so much for the support guys, it really means alot and its a great source of motivation!

I added 2 new pages, I wasn't going to add the other 2 pages until I had everything inked and colored. But the inking process is taking a little longer than I had initally planned. I should have the completed pages up soon!