As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can't Sleep

1234568»

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote:
    simplynoise kinda weirds me out... I don't really like it, but every time I end up at the site I just kind of go into trance mode for a few minutes and have to force myself out of it

that's the point

• Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    SoaL wrote:
    oh hey how long does that "sleeping for an hour every few hours and become superman" thing take to kick in?

I'm gonna have a month and a bit of living without any responsibilities or other people in the house to annoy

like a week or two

and it's "sleep two hours every six hours" for a combined total of 6 hours a day, you go into REM way faster than normally and actually get more of it than from a normal schedule(provided the normal schedule only gets ~8 hours a night)

• Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    although I am probably super duper crazy wrong and you should research the subject more just in case

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Can't sleep.

Too excited.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I have been trying pzizz out which is an iPhone sleepy times noise generator.

It works I think but a couple of times the timer runs out and it has turned itself and I am still awake I kinda feel like a fucking failure.

I also thought it was set to turn off after twenty five minutes. Turns out it was set to an hour. That didn't make me feel better either.

Looking at this post it seems like the app is stressing me out.

• Options
    MizuumiMizuumi pet dog you've been eating my video game how could you eat my video gameRegistered User regular
    i do not understand how napping is possible

i am incapable of sleeping for fewer than like 5 hours unless i am forcefully woken up

my roommate took a 30-minute powernap the other day and i was utterly bewildered

how did he do that

ducklett.gif
  • Options
    sleep is pretty varied for everybody

Naps are impossible for me just because unless I'm sick or utterly exhausted, sleeping during the day just never happens.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    once I fall asleep that's it, I'm done for the day. If you wake me up I'll just be a zombie until I fall asleep again and get at least 5 or 6 hours in.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    saw a craig ferguson taping today, despite a french anthrax scare

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    God. I am so jealous of people that nap I just want to lunch them in the face.

• Options
    MateyMatey see, look how sad i am now give me your wallet.Registered User regular
    I've never had a sleep pattern

Outside of waking up for work or work-related things

It's pandamonium

• Options
    Oh I'm sorry, you were boring so I took a nap.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I somehow managed to pass out for the afternoon when I got home.

Now I can't sleep.

• Options
    Kusuguttai wrote:

did you meet Geoff Peterson?

• Options
    MizuumiMizuumi pet dog you've been eating my video game how could you eat my video gameRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote:
    God. I am so jealous of people that nap I just want to lunch them in the face.

eat them nappers' faces

all them nappers

ducklett.gif
  • Options
    #pipe wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:

did you meet Geoff Peterson?

i was about 12 feet away from him does that count

you know how he always jokes about how tiny his studio is?

he's really not kidding.

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    I don't really nap often, but in college there were a few days when I'd get back from class and sleep needed to happen (probably only happened 5-6 times in the 4 years I was there). Unfortunately, these weren't powernaps, these were 1-2 hours of not-so-great sleep followed by incredible grogginess and the inability to accomplish anything.

• Options
    I went to see Letterman taped once.

It was so amazing. Bill Murray was the guest and the band kicked so much ass.

• Options
    i don't really rap often, but i used to in high school, usually inbetween classes but once or twice my teachers caught me in class and told my parents i needed to get more phat beatz at home

• Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    thread is relevant to me tonight

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Peccavi wrote:
    I don't really nap often, but in college there were a few days when I'd get back from class and sleep needed to happen (probably only happened 5-6 times in the 4 years I was there). Unfortunately, these weren't powernaps, these were 1-2 hours of not-so-great sleep followed by incredible grogginess and the inability to accomplish anything.

I was so busy in college that I was maybe able to fit in a nap every quarter.

Except for my last quarter when I was a senior. 20 credits and the most work I ever had, but so many naps. Probably my body punishing me in some indirect way.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    dougyfreshdougyfresh Registered User regular
    Just had to note that oscillating brown noise on SimplyNoise sounds just like the ocean :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The brown noise is by far the most soothing to me, probably because of the ocean quality it has

The white noise actually kinda grates on me for some reason

• Options
    dougyfreshdougyfresh Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote:
    The brown noise is by far the most soothing to me, probably because of the ocean quality it has

The white noise actually kinda grates on me for some reason

I found the pink to actually be the worst offender, almost a weird sucking sound like a vacuum. White is really annoying at high levels but at the lower levels it reminds me more of a shower or something.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Blake tell me about pzizz

what kind of sound and voice does it play? Do you have the six dollar version or the 2 dollar? Should I get it?

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    when i got my ipad, i went a little nuts in the app store (i spent 6 bucks!) anyway, one app i bought was Brain Wave -- i've used music and nature sounds and such to help settle for sleep in the past, and was a bit curious about binaural frequencies. it's not 100% effective for me (there are a lot of settings), but it's been worth the two bucks when it has helped, placebo or otherwise. makes me wonder if the fan i usually sleep with is generating a subconsciously annoying discord. even if you're uninterested in the binaural aspect, 8 ambient sounds with a timer and alarm is nice.

i love naps, when i'm not ragged out and sleep for hours and hours instead. National Naptime needs to be a thing.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    white noise is grating after listening to the other two, i like brown the best because it's the least sharp pitch-wise (and it sounds like the ocean)

i had it playing softly alongside rainymood to see what would happen (not much) before squall? linked that tubedoubler that i've been playing ever since

ducklett.gif
  • Options
    #pipe wrote:
    Blake tell me about pzizz

what kind of sound and voice does it play? Do you have the six dollar version or the 2 dollar? Should I get it?
    Ok!

It plays mostly mellow relaxation music with low tone bells and harps and stuff and occasionally seaside stuff. It also has a mellow sounding dude that tells you to relax and go through your sleep routine and how you will sleep well and stuff in a non-confrontational way.

This is all randomly generated. You could probably let it play god half am hour without hearing the guy repeat himself.

I have the six dollar one, I believe the two dollar one is not automagically generating.

I mean you could definitely give it a go, even though it's more expensive than a standard app it's still the price if a cup of coffee.

• Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote:
    Naps are impossible for me just because unless I'm sick or utterly exhausted, sleeping during the day just never happens.

How I wish I was you. My need to nap, at 4pm sharp, is so strong. It's as if the cosmos conspire to make sure the last hour of any normal work day is the most hellish experience imaginable.

It got so bad that at my last job I worked it out so I could go in an hour earlier and leave... and enjoy that sweet, wonderful, 4pm nap.

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    uh oh
    I literally can not get to sleep tonight
    not excited
    not stressed
    just can't get the old computer to hibernate

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Tam wrote: