As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How do I transform myself into a citizen of New Arcadia for PAX?

mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby.BaltimoreRegistered User regular
edited May 2008 in Penny Arcade Games
I was thinking it would be pretty cool to dress up as a newspaper boy from New Aracadia for all of or part of PAX 2007. I plan on making/buying period clothes and then making a fake newspaper that features pictures of Gabe, Tycho and the fruit fucker(s). I will of course want to wear a shirt with short sleeves and shorts because PAX is a hot environment. Luckily, I don't think this will conflict with the costume idea.

Here are some questions I have:

New Arcadia is in what country? America or Europe?
Does anyone know what decade (1930's, 1940's earlier??) the game most closely relates to?
What movies should I watch (besides Newsies) to pick up authentic speech?
Do you have tips on how to create the newspaper? Fonts? Paper to use? Links to images (I found this, this, this and these so far.)?

Thanks for any help and suggestions guys! I will of course post pictures of myself here once I finalize my costume and I hope I see you at PAX!

Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
mentok1982 on

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It's most definitely America. The decade you'd go for would be from 1900 to mid 1930s, since that's the Lovecraftian era. It's steampunk plus Cthulu (plus Penny Arcade), basically, so you want Victorian talking mixed with a lot of swear words. Off the top of my head I can't think of any movies, but obviously books from that time period (Lovecraft for example, durr) would work as far as speech. As for what an old-timey newspaper looks like, The Onion has plenty of parodies up for your perusal. Just Photoshop whatever the heck you want over one of those.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • HitScanHitScan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    For Font ideas hit up your local library. They probably have some papers from that era (20's - 30's) on Microfilm. I know we have some back to the late 1800's here.

I imagine the outfit will be pretty (stereo?)typical - white/beige button up shirt, short or rolled up sleeves, brown capri length or rolled up pants with matching suspenders, and a brown beret looking hat.

Additional note: I'm surprised how well the first page of Google Image Search results for "newsie" matches up with my description. I swear I didn't do that first, nor have I ever watched "Newsies" (looks horrid). :)

HitScan on
    Unstable like the isotope that resolves the fate of the theoretical cat in the hypothetical crate.
    Yo momma so fat she got triabetes
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Thanks for the tips fellas! They will certainly come in handy. Anyone else have some thoughts?

mentok1982 on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    If possible: grow sideburns?

Aldo on
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Aldo wrote: »

No problem. I can grow some serious sideburns.

And by "serious" I mean sideburns that do not often engage in humorous or fanciful activities.

mentok1982 on
    edited June 2007
    mentok1982 wrote: »

No problem. I can grow some serious sideburns.

And by "serious" I mean sideburns that do not often engage in humorous or fanciful activities.

I think it would look fancy with a beret. And IIRC both Gabe and Tycho had sideburns in the trailer.

Aldo on
    edited June 2007
    I already own a plain black "navy seal" style beret, but I think I need to pick up a larger brownish beret. Maybe one of those that have a little bill on them.

Apparently the hat I am thinking of is not really a beret. A search for newsie hat yielded the following:
    http://www.geocities.com/babsila/tobuy/hat.jpg

mentok1982 on
    edited June 2007
    I think they call those "puffy hats", not sure though.

Aldo on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    I plan on making/buying period clothes and then making a fake newspaper that features pictures of Gabe, Tycho and the fruit fucker(s).

You know, instead of making the fake newspaper, perhaps you should think about helping to distribute the PAX Steampunk zine that's being compiled by writers in the Writers Block.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=22377

It seems fitting...

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited June 2007
    Moe_Fwacky wrote: »
    I plan on making/buying period clothes and then making a fake newspaper that features pictures of Gabe, Tycho and the fruit fucker(s).

You know, instead of making the fake newspaper, perhaps you should think about helping to distribute the PAX Steampunk zine that's being compiled by writers in the Writers Block.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=22377

It seems fitting...

Thank you Moe! I will change my idea to include their zine. I am going to ask them if they want to combine our ideas into an even more potent idea. How awesome would it be to have several New Arcadian Newspersons handing out the literature?

mentok1982 on
  • PRDPRD Kristin Lindsay I am a meat popsicle.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I was going to call it a "bonnet", but my dad is from Scotland so that's why. My uncle still wears one all the time. Wikipedia calls it a "flat cap", and mentions the newsboy connection. Shouldn't be too hard to find, shop where old Scots go. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_cap

PRD on
    edited June 2007
    I didn't think Beret was the right name, but in my defense, they do look somewhat (superficially, a little) alike. :)

HitScan on
    Unstable like the isotope that resolves the fate of the theoretical cat in the hypothetical crate.
    edited June 2007

I was going to call it a "bonnet", but my dad is from Scotland so that's why. My uncle still wears one all the time. Wikipedia calls it a "flat cap", and mentions the newsboy connection. Shouldn't be too hard to find, shop where old Scots go. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_cap

Thank you Princess! I hope you live happily ever after.

mentok1982 on
    edited June 2007
    Since Dick Tracy is available to me for free (Comcast On Demand), I am going to watch that a few times. I hope to pic up some good period lingo/slang and maybe some costume ideas. I think I can base my outfit on an older version of "the kid".

mentok1982 on
  • strike_the_tripstrike_the_trip Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Since Dick Tracy is available to me for free (Comcast On Demand), I am going to watch that a few times. I hope to pic up some good period lingo/slang and maybe some costume ideas. I think I can base my outfit on an older version of "the kid".

I don't think Dick Tracy has the feel that RSPD has. It's more of a late 30s-40s gangsters in zoot suits atmosphere and you want a 1900s-1920s sci-fi Lovecraftian feel, right? I just stumbled on this video today and its look and feel reminded me of this thread.

I hope this helps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysYsFqwSJ7k

strike_the_trip on
    edited June 2007
    The WETA Rayguns and other stuff like that is more Victorian steampunk than New Arcadia appears to be. New Arcadia is a lot more American looking, from the screenshots I've seen. I'm not sure if Dick Tracy's the perfect source, but Victorian speech probably isn't either.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • strike_the_tripstrike_the_trip Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It's steampunk plus Cthulu (plus Penny Arcade), basically, so you want Victorian talking mixed with a lot of swear words.
    I'm not sure if Dick Tracy's the perfect source, but Victorian speech probably isn't either.

A Flip-flopper, eh? Don't be upset with me just because I gave a better recommendation than The fucking Onion.

MSG'd!

Also, I like The Onion.

strike_the_trip on
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, I kind of changed my mind. The steampunk and Cthulu seem to be influencing a lot of stuff, and we haven't seen more than like 2 lines of dialog, but looking at the docks, or the hobos, they look like they're going for Great Depression-ish America too. We don't have a lot to go on :D

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited July 2007
    My parents found the hat I was looking for. I have not seen it yet, but it is black and it apparently matches the detailed description I gave to my parents.

Soon I will go out searching for the rest of my wardrobe.

mentok1982 on
  • TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I see how old this post is, but is Dick Tracy still on demand? I haven't seen that movie in fooooooooooorever. If, so what section is it under?

TrainwreckX on
    edited August 2007

I see how old this post is, but is Dick Tracy still on demand? I haven't seen that movie in fooooooooooorever. If, so what section is it under?

It is not on Comcast On demand. I went through the entire movie listing last night and it was not on there.

mentok1982 on
    edited August 2007
    Here is what I will look like in my costume:

img0006mf8.th.jpg

img0004lb0.th.jpg

mentok1982 on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2007
    Looking good.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    awesome =)

Xaquin on
    edited August 2007
    Lacks bowtie.

Awesome so far.

HitScan on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This is an excellent idea. If I had the ability to go to PAX I would dress up as the character I created in the game.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited May 2008
    Um, dude, this thread is from last year

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Um, dude, this thread is from last year

Um, dude, yeah. Sweet.

This forum has 4 pages. 4. This is not like I'm digging something up from page 37.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited May 2008
    No, you're only resurrecting a thread that hasn't been posted in since August.

Let dead threads die

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png