As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 8-24-11: Theodore!

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Graphic Violence
JLI 90's Retroactive, really funny stuff, and seems to take place after JLI #37-ish. Giffen and DeMatteis are a lot funnier here than there BG run was, and a good, strong story that takes you back.

img331-1.jpg

img332-2.jpg

img333-2.jpg

name your cat after Ted, Booster has a field day with it.

And Batman: Gates of Gotham #5 sets the stage for Snyder's run, and I get a good feeling he might be using Cass, if the denouement is any indication.

img328-1.jpg

img329-1.jpg

And then Damian has a Problem Child smirk on his face on the next page.

TexiKen on

• Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    pretty much all of Ultimates 1, great start to the ultimate comics relaunch.
    Also, don't turn down beer from asgardians...
    sgrSO.jpg
    hzhw8.jpg

ultimates-1.png
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    MotW has to be John Byrne's NEXT MEN #39. I've been waiting for that ending for fifteen years!

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Who's that next to Fury in that last panel

It looks like his eyes are going to pop out of the sockets

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Action Comics #904, Lois describes Superman perfectly and why this version of the character was so great:

img334-1.jpg

And the Superman 90's retroactive was fantastic, even better than the JLI one, it kind of takes place after Doomsday when Luthor was falling apart in his clone body. Simonson even brings back the Newsboys! And Bogdanove's art never looked better, I sure would like to see him draw an arc or a mini these days. This panel alone is great:

img338.jpg

D'awwwww, look at Clark's face.

• RansRans Registered User regular
    Green Lantern 90s RetroActive was my MOTW. The Marz/Banks Kyle Rayner Green Lantern run got me into comics. Even though Marz has returned to Kyle a few times since then, having Banks along was just a perfect nostalgic combo. Maybe Marz can do an arc on New Guardians at some point.

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    My moment of the week was that I finally read Coward, and I devoured it. Holy shit, it was good. Someone please tell me
    did leo survive?????? I can't find any answers elsewhere.

Brubaker has said that he plans to use the character in the future, he just keeps thinking of other stories to tell first.

tOkYVT2.jpg
    Also, you should read the other CRIMINAL minis.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Coward
    Pretty much. Brubaker has said he wanted to follow up that story, but he just hasn't gotten to it yet.

EDIT: Damn it.

Crimsondude on
    Thank you guys.

Yeah, I want to get the others now, I just finished it and I was like fffffuuuuck I gotta know

• cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    langly i love your ninja turtles

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    MOTW was snagging the first trades of 52, Incredible Herc, and Immortal Iron Fist for 20

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    GLC was a nice little Batman/Guy space crime detective team up issue. Done in ones are refreshing atm.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Someone tell me if the new Ninja Turtles is any good.
    Wait, no, don't spoil it.
    Yes spoil it.
    I want to go in fresh
    SOMEONE DO SOMETHIN

• MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    The art is good. The story is paced in such a way that it's hard to review it until more is revealed.

But the art is really good.

Thanks! This one is a doodle by the guy who does nedroid picture diaries.

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Ultimates was badass.

I am assuming those dudes in the big dome thing were
    evil ultimate reed's version of the future foundation

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    Ultimates was good. Ribic is a great artist.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I haven't read the new Ultimates yet, so maybe it's a bit premature, but I'm pretty sure that my MOTW is finally getting to read through Casanova vol 2. Fraction wrote the shit out of that one, and Moon's art is amazing as always. Made me even more excited that the series has been revived.

• cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Langly wrote:
    Thanks! This one is a doodle by the guy who does nedroid picture diaries.

I thought it looked familiar.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Ultimates was so great
    Just watching SHIELD handling three global crises, and seeing them all slowly burn out of control was incredible.

Also, Kid Flash Lost had the best ending out of any Flashpoint tie-in I've read so far. For those who didn't read it, a summary:
    Bart used Hot Pursuit's control rod to enter the speed force last issue, and now he's become a new black flash. He races through the flashpoint timeline and reclaims the speedforce energies of all the speedsters in that reality. When he gets to Wally, who had no powers in the Flashpoint timeline, he realizes that the speedforce is using him as a tool to help right the timeline and collect the stray speedforce energy. Once he's collected the last of it, he becomes the White Flash, and races up to Barry. Bart connects with Barry, and then merges into the speed force the same way Barry did in CoIE. Barry now gains the collective energies of every speedster, and Bart remains inside the Speed Force with all of the Flash Family, encouraging Barry.

Langly wrote:
    Thank you guys.

Yeah, I want to get the others now, I just finished it and I was like fffffuuuuck I gotta know

Langly, you should check out the two SLEEPER trades as well. Still Brubaker and Phillips, but with super heroes and espionage. It's pre-INCOGNITO Incognito.

tOkYVT2.jpg
    Algertman wrote:
    Ultimates was good. Ribic is a great artist.

Yeah, Ribic is really awesome. Was Uncanny X-Force his first gig before Ultimates?

tOkYVT2.jpg
    he was mainly doing painted covers before I think

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    And the Loki mini from a few years ago.

I actually like his interior work considerably more than his painted stuff

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]