As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX PRIME 2011 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    thegh0sts wrote:
    Anyone picked up their passes at will call? I couldn't seem to find it + some lady that works with the convention center said the will call started at 2pm....HELP!!!
    They haven't opened yet since it's only 1:45. The Will Call is at the kiosks in the Convention Place tunnel on the 1st floor of the Convention Center.

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
    thegh0sts wrote:
    Anyone picked up their passes at will call? I couldn't seem to find it + some lady that works with the convention center said the will call started at 2pm....HELP!!!
    They haven't opened yet since it's only 1:45. The Will Call is at the kiosks in the Convention Place tunnel on the 1st floor of the Convention Center.

Oh OK, i came in from where the fedex office is on your left and there's 3 flights of escalators so just trying to orient myself from there is all.

Next PAX: PAX AUS 2017
    Previous PAXs: PAX Prime 2011, PAX AUS 2013
  • iguyiguy Registered User regular
    OmegaDMZ wrote:
    I suspect traffic will be hell at around 9-10:00 am on the bridge.
    iguy wrote:
    Second, Will there be a separate lineup friday morning to get into the annex for HaloFest or is it just the two for the hall and the keynote.
    Halofest will have a separate line outside the Annex on Pike street.
    causabon wrote:
    iguy wrote:
    First, I'm driving in from the eastern Washington friday morning which means I'll be hitting the I-90.
    At about what time should I expect traffic to be at its worst because of the closure.

The 520 closure is only on the weekend! Friday is normal traffic -- which is still no fun, because that's rush hour inbound to the city. Expect peak delays between about 8:00-9:30, but nothing exceptionally bad.
    courtneyj wrote:
    Friday I-90 traffic into downtown isn't horrible. I can generally make it from I-405 to Madison St exit in 15 minutes on Fridays at around 8:30. Try to take that exit if you can to your hotel. You'll deal with 1 way streets but it's quicker than merging to I-5.

And the right 2 lanes merge from 90 to I-5N not just the far right.

Thanks for the help everyone, I was gonna take the James st. exit which I think is the same as the Madison. I'll just leave earlier to be safe.

• XRXR [E] LULK ILRegistered User regular
    Anyone else stuck at work thinking about how they wish they were at PAX already?

• LigerLiger Registered User regular
    XR wrote:
    Anyone else stuck at work thinking about how they wish they were at PAX already?

This is so. damn. painful. I was just at PAX and had to leave for work. Sitting here with my badge on humming the PA theme song.

5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    nope I got today off work, but as we only have Sat/Sun badges even if the husband got today off i woudl still be sittign at home waiting for the first ferry tomorrow. TOMORROW! FINALLY we are going after saying for years we would go!

(I may be a bit excited...)

• pogoplaypogoplay Writer/Blogger/Gamer Calgary, AlbertaRegistered User regular
    Hey guys,

So just picked up my media badge, but I never got the Halo-fest badge and I will need it for coverage. Will I need that badge to get in or will my Media badge be good enough?

Thanks,

Skyler.

Attended: PAX Prime 2010, PAX Prime 2011, PAX Prime 2012, PAX Prime 2014.
    Attending: PAX Prime 2016
    Twitter @Pogoplay
  • causaboncausabon Registered User regular
    pogoplay wrote:
    So just picked up my media badge, but I never got the Halo-fest badge and I will need it for coverage. Will I need that badge to get in or will my Media badge be good enough?.

The Halofest badge is just a collectable decoration - your PAX badge alone gets you in. (The info sheet that came with the passes is wrong on this point, leading to much confusion.)

The Halo badge has ZERO value. It's a promotional item. Your Media pass (and any general attendance pass) gives you access to all of PAX.

• harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    Will there be a map of the event I can pick up somewhere? I'm totally bad about getting lost.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Anyone know about what time the line room has cleared out? 10:30? 11?

hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
    finally got my pass and I randomly stumbled into Will Wheaton on the escalators! OMG!

Next PAX: PAX AUS 2017
    Previous PAXs: PAX Prime 2011, PAX AUS 2013
    @Harvest: The program will have a full World Map.

@S2000Gan: The morning line takes about 30-45 minutes to pour into the Expo Hall. If you're going to wait for it to empty anyway, come check out the Merch booth and pick up your PA favorites before they sell out. :)

@thegh0sts: Whil Whheaton! Oh my... just realized I threw on my How I Roll shirt today.

• Bionic ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRMBionic ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRM Registered User regular
    Since that console tournament rules thread was never posted, how do I know where to go to sign up for tournaments? Will the PAX booklet tell me?

• jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    Since that console tournament rules thread was never posted, how do I know where to go to sign up for tournaments? Will the PAX booklet tell me?
    You'll go to the Console Tourney room which is on floor 6 and on the map in the book and the website. The Enforcers there will have the rules for you.

"We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • Bionic ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRMBionic ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRM Registered User regular
    Do I sign up for all tourneys Friday morning, or is tournament signup day-of?

• GeekyPrincessGeekyPrincess Registered User regular
    thegh0sts wrote:
    finally got my pass and I randomly stumbled into Will Wheaton on the escalators! OMG!

My daughters (7 and 9) are only coming on Sunday and hoping to meet Wil Wheaton and Paul & Storm. They are beyond freaking out at this point, totally cracking me up. We drove around downtown earlier and they were in awe of how many geeks there were!

Cookie Brigade Prime 2011 and 2012!
    Shipping cookies for Prime 2013
  • wonko33wonko33 Registered User regular
    Anybody knows what games will be available at the PC freeplay area?

• DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    thegh0sts wrote:

My daughters (7 and 9) are only coming on Sunday and hoping to meet Wil Wheaton and Paul & Storm. They are beyond freaking out at this point, totally cracking me up. We drove around downtown earlier and they were in awe of how many geeks there were!
    And those were just the normal Seattlites!

Do I sign up for all tourneys Friday morning, or is tournament signup day-of?
    Probably day-of, but I don't know for sure. You can find out tomorrow morning at 10:00 at Console Tourney.

• GeekyPrincessGeekyPrincess Registered User regular
    And those were just the normal Seattlites!

LOL - true, but there was something extra special geeky down there today!

Cookie Brigade Prime 2011 and 2012!
    Shipping cookies for Prime 2013
  • United99United99 Registered User new member
    So, I completely forgot my badge. Can I get a new one some how?

United99 wrote:
    You can go to the Will Call kiosk and plead with them, but I can guarantee nothing.

• DeusTrinitasDeusTrinitas Registered User regular
    What's the general consensus on saving a place in line for someone for a panel? For example, if I'm in line for a panel, and my friend is in the expo hall, is it okay to save a place in line for him? I went solo to PAX '09, so I didn't even have to worry about this then.

• axo278axo278 Registered User new member
    I only managed to get badge for sunday and am new to pax, 3 questions: Am I allowed into panels on friday and saturday if I only have a badge for sunday? How early should I arrive at PAX to be able to get to booths and demos early? and how long should I expect demo lines to be for big games like Guild Wars 2?

• MaxNVMaxNV Registered User regular
    axo278 wrote:
    I only managed to get badge for sunday and am new to pax, 3 questions: Am I allowed into panels on friday and saturday if I only have a badge for sunday? How early should I arrive at PAX to be able to get to booths and demos early? and how long should I expect demo lines to be for big games like Guild Wars 2?

No.
    At least 2 hours before the doors open.
    Expect long, like 2 hours.

What's the general consensus on saving a place in line for someone for a panel? For example, if I'm in line for a panel, and my friend is in the expo hall, is it okay to save a place in line for him? I went solo to PAX '09, so I didn't even have to worry about this then.

Not a good idea. The Line Management team does a running head count of attendees in line. Once the theatre's capacity is met, the line is cut off and the last person gets a sign that says "I'm last!" If your friend were to return then, that last person wouldn't get into the panel, having wasted precious PAX time. Remember: Wheaton's Law.

axo278 wrote:

A Sunday badge only admits you to PAX on Sunday. The Expo opens at 10am, that's the earliest you can enter. Demo lines can vary from 10 minutes to an hour.

• DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    MaxNV wrote:
    axo278 wrote:

No.
    I don't think on Sunday anyone needs to wait 2 hours before doors open just for the exhibition hall. Not only is Sunday the least-crowded day, but by then people who have gone the other days are tired and sleeping in.

MaxNV wrote:
    axo278 wrote:

No.
    I don't think on Sunday anyone needs to wait 2 hours before doors open just for the exhibition hall. Not only is Sunday the least-crowded day, but by then people who have gone the other days are tired and sleeping in.

Not only that, but you can only enter the Queue room at 8am, two hours before Expo doors open. It's impossible to line up more than two hours before.

• jumpman-jrjumpman-jr Registered User regular
    Stupid question(s), but since it's my first PAX....

When I first get there, do I first need to swing by a specific place to pick up anything? Is the Registration area only for will call people?

Tomorrow I will be in no rush to get there early. My day will probably start with (hopefully) the AVGN panel. How early would one need to get there for that? Do I just need to go directly to 2nd floor of the sheraton?

Also, what's the difference between the 2nd floor and 2nd level of the sheraton? I generally like maps, but the only useful one seems to be the one on the unofficial android maps. Are these on a website as well?

• DeusTrinitasDeusTrinitas Registered User regular
    Liger wrote:

Not a good idea. The Line Management team does a running head count of attendees in line. Once the theatre's capacity is met, the line is cut off and the last person gets a sign that says "I'm last!" If your friend were to return then, that last person wouldn't get into the panel, having wasted precious PAX time. Remember: Wheaton's Law.

Ah, I didn't think of that. Thanks!

jumpman-jr wrote:
    Stupid question(s), but since it's my first PAX....

When I first get there, do I first need to swing by a specific place to pick up anything? Is the Registration area only for will call people?

Tomorrow I will be in no rush to get there early. My day will probably start with (hopefully) the AVGN panel. How early would one need to get there for that? Do I just need to go directly to 2nd floor of the sheraton?

Also, what's the difference between the 2nd floor and 2nd level of the sheraton? I generally like maps, but the only useful one seems to be the one on the unofficial android maps. Are these on a website as well?
    If you already have your badge, just go directly to the panel you want to see. Line ups at theatres begin at 0800.

The maps should all be on the website but also the program book you can get from any of the morning lines has all of the maps. "2nd floor" means the second floor of the convention center. "2nd level of the sheraton" is the second floor of the sheraton hotel, which is a separate building across the street from the convention center.

• jumpman-jrjumpman-jr Registered User regular
    The maps should all be on the website but also the program book you can get from any of the morning lines has all of the maps. "2nd floor" means the second floor of the convention center. "2nd level of the sheraton" is the second floor of the sheraton hotel, which is a separate building across the street from the convention center.

Ok, thanks for the info.

prime.paxsite.com has links to maps of 4 and 6, but unless they're buried elsewher I don't see map links for the other areas. That 'droid app is useful in that respect, yet the tiny screen means a bunch of zooming in and out.

One of the maps in that app has a reference to "sheraton 2nd level" and "sheraton 2nd floor", but I guess that's just a typo then.

Do you think for AVGN one would need to queue up super duper early?

• Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    MaxNV wrote:
    axo278 wrote:
    How early should I arrive at PAX to be able to get to booths and demos early? and how long should I expect demo lines to be for big games like Guild Wars 2?

This is untrue; Sunday at popular booths like GW2 and such are just as busy as any other day. Sunday is sold out like the rest of the days, has just as many attendees and there are bunches of people who think Sunday will mean it is easier to hit demos and also think they can get a bunch of free stuff.
    jumpman-jr wrote:
    Do you think for AVGN one would need to queue up super duper early?

You won't be allowed to queue up before the previous panel lets in, so about an hour before the one you want to see. The only way you can line up earlier is if there isn't a panel prior to the one you want to attend.

• FerquinFerquin Snorlax Renton, WA, USARegistered User regular
    I think the line is actually supposed to start at 8, but people get there much, much earlier and essentially queue to queue.
    If you really want to get in, I suggest getting there no later than about 8:30.
    I, myself, will be in line at roughly 7-7:30 AM.

Also, I believe that if you're there before the line officially starts, you may be outside.
    I am not sure of this though, as I have no experience with the paramount.

I plan to be there super early too.
    The line will be outside the Paramount. You'll need to have your badge already though, so if you need to get it from Will-Call, do that before getting in line at Paramount.

Guess I'm bringing a chair regardless. Yup, got my 3-day badge already.

Ferquin N.C. Root
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if the final Omegathon round will be streamed to Wolfman like the keynote, Q&A, and concerts will be? I remember hearing last year that it was streamed so I was wondering if that was true then why it wouldn't be streamed this year.

• FerquinFerquin Snorlax Renton, WA, USARegistered User regular
    According to the schedule grid, yes it will be streamed.

Ferquin N.C. Root
  • OmegaDMZOmegaDMZ Registered User regular
    If I want to register to a mini tournament (MK9) do i do it on the same day as the tourney or when and where?

• MundanenameMundanename Registered User new member
    United99 wrote:
    You can go to the Will Call kiosk and plead with them, but I can guarantee nothing.
    I am in the same situation. Do you know of anything I could do to increase my chances of getting a replacement?

This discussion has been closed.