As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Monday Night Combat: Now with Steam group!

• Options
    EtherealWalrusEtherealWalrus Registered User regular
    I really hope that they can come to some sort of agreement with Sony and Microsoft, since 90% of my friends who played MNC with me don't have PCs that can run...anything.

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    so anyone totally hyped for SUPER MONDAY NIGHT COMBAT 2 MOBA TURBO: TOURNAMENT EDITION?

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    What? No mention of Super Monday Night Combat coming soon? A dota style version? With new classes?

Here's the story from Kotaku, with a trailer:

http://kotaku.com/5834259/

and some class pictures from RPS:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/25/happy-mondays-super-monday-night-combat/

edit: beat'd

nusu on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I just can't get excited about a "dota" styled game.

I understand that genre attracts a special kind of shitcock.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    I'm just excited to see a pretty unique/fresh game like MNC be followed up with something fresh compared to it's previous iteration(s).

Like, I love me some Halo, but I think limiting the halo experience to a handful of FPS iterations isn't leveraging every angle of the Halo universe. Halo Wars is a cool start for that kind of thing, but I'm thinking like a halo space combat game like Wing Commander or X-Wing, a halo city building sim game, a halo kart racer, CSI-style murder mysteries on the Pillar of Autumn, a UNSC league soccer game, and dating sims that just tangentially happen to take place in New Mombasa. I feel that would be a great way to bridge the gap between gamers wanting "new" games and publishers wanting to play it safe with known IPs.

... that was quite a tangent. . .

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I'm actually mad about this announcement because its just more proof they've given up supporting the 360 version.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Also no mention of micky cantore. And no crowds in the the screenshots.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    As long as it's still Action Strategy esque I have complete faith it will rock. There is only one thing I'm concerned about, and that's map structure. MNC's maps are elaborate and multi-floor, and I don't want to see that go away in favor of a string a bullshit corridors like LoL and DOTA.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    EtherealWalrusEtherealWalrus Registered User regular
    I'm hoping itll be different enough to be new (I like the new art direction/classes) while retaining the best parts of what made MNC so fucking fun.
    They did mention they were keeping the basic "future bloodsport" background, so odds are the crowds and Cantore will still be around.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'm super excited about this

Except I don't like the aesthetic nearly as much

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Wasn't the original MNC a dota type game?

Also the comments sound like the new version you will force you to re-level your guy each game. If so meh, I prefer the actual progression of not having to start from "scratch" every game.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Morkath wrote:

Also the comments sound like the new version you will force you to re-level your guy each game. If so meh, I prefer the actual progression of not having to start from "scratch" every game.

The original MNC was only vaguely like dota. It had the trappings of it (bots = creeps, gold, blah blah blah) but it really didn't play in a similar manner at all.

As fro re-leveling each game... you did that in MNC. You always started with no skills. It would be completely stupid if it were otherwise.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Whoops, double post.

Garthor on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Morkath wrote:

Well, that's a pretty big part of the DOTA-style gameplay. Kill creeps (and the occasional enemy dude) to get cash, level up and buy gear.

• Options
    Wonder if SMNC will have gear purchasing.

That could be pretty cool.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    The first one was basically a combination of DOTA and TF2.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote:
    I'm actually mad about this announcement because its just more proof they've given up supporting the 360 version.

Yeah this. Not at all interested in the PC version of either game.

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    None of the consoles have methods for supporting free to play in place.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Well that's ok since I'd happily pay actual money for it but never mind...

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    I won't be buying their new game. I loved MNC, but the way they just abandoned the 360 game, sorry but fool me once....

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Tommatt wrote:
    I won't be buying their new game. I loved MNC, but the way they just abandoned the 360 game, sorry but fool me once....

What's to buy? It's free.

And console gamers deserve everything they get: nothing.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    If anything, I'm just supremely disappointed that they never got the map editor out the door.

• Options
    PMAvers wrote:
    Tommatt wrote:

What's to buy? It's free.

And console gamers deserve everything they get: nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok5M-o_OfwA

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    i know this is the internet and we like to jump to conclusions, but XBL has had free to play games, like 1 vs 100. there's no reason to start assuming anything until we hear it from the devs.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Garthor wrote:
    Morkath wrote:

The original MNC was only vaguely like dota. It had the trappings of it (bots = creeps, gold, blah blah blah) but it really didn't play in a similar manner at all.

As fro re-leveling each game... you did that in MNC. You always started with no skills. It would be completely stupid if it were otherwise.

That is an excellent point, I guess in this instance the leveling up I was thinking off was unlocking the different customization slots, so I don't know what I was thinking. The in game resets didn't bother me that much.

But yeah I never really got super deep into any of the dota clones, so it always seemed the same to me. Will be interesting to see how much it changes.

• Options
    i know this is the internet and we like to jump to conclusions, but XBL has had free to play games, like 1 vs 100. there's no reason to start assuming anything until we hear it from the devs.

It is a goddamn tradgedy 1 vs 100 was cancelled due to infighting.

• Options
    Tommatt wrote:

True, fuck uber.

And to the 'oo it's free on PC' guys - congrats.

Honestly.

Enjoy it.

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Uber isn't the first dev to have their enthusiasm for supporting their own game annihilated by the XBL approval process, and I severely doubt they'll be the last.

That said they've sort of slacked on content for the PC version as well.

• Options
    Tommatt wrote:

True, fuck uber.

And to the 'oo it's free on PC' guys - congrats.

Honestly.

Enjoy it.

Anything that needs frequent balancing and editing dies by the hand of M$. Take it up with them.

• Options
    Oh yeah in this case fuck MS too.

All I know is MNC is the best multiplayer game I've played since Goldeneye.

Honestly, I've had so much fun with it.

Totally gutted that the powers that be can't make this stuff work for the paying players.

Because, like I said, I'll pay £whatever for a game I enjoy this much.

But no, systems prevent improvement or whatever...

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Wow, I didn't expect a sequel. But a heavier focus on MOBA, a playable pit-girl, a western gunslinger, AND a melee-focused grappler? I am absolutely sold.

Edit: That trailer really makes it look like the same basic game. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    Raoulduke20Raoulduke20 Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    There's also talk that people that own MNC will get some sort of bonus or something in SMNC. So, that's cool. I'm sure it'll just be something cosmetic like hats or whatever.

Raoulduke20 on
    signatureih.jpg
  • Options
    Is that gunslinger a girl or Lemmy?

(Please be lemmy)

• Options
    edited November 2011
    There's a beta going on for this. They are inviting lots of people.

You have to be registered on their forums, then go here.

I can attest that SMNC is exactly what you would think a TPS DOTA would be like. Much more so than the first.

I am very bummed this is not for the 360 because I have a hard time controlling stuff with m/kb but I'm hoping I can get my 360 controller working on it soon.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Thanks for the heads-up on that, by the way.

Let's see if I got any beta karma.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    I think I cashed in all my beta karma yesterday.

Got invites for this and SWTOR within minutes of each other.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Here goes whatever, hope I get in

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Yes, this is old, but they're giving out keys now, since I just got one. Played one game so far, took half an hour and its pretty much MNC with a lot more classes now.

Yes, the announcer is still around.

• Options
    Docshifty wrote:
    Yes, this is old, but they're giving out keys now, since I just got one. Played one game so far, took half an hour and its pretty much MNC with a lot more classes now.

Yes, the announcer is still around.
    Oh cool, I got one. Downloading now