As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play: Golden Sun (Chapter 20: The Two Towe- I mean, Lighthouses) (NSF56k)

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I was actually going to include that in the next one.

Sorry it's a bit shorter than the others, by the way. I had to choose between basically ending it here and ending it at the end of the tutorial, which would have been too long.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    I only brought it up since it's a relatively important track.

Well, only if you plan on going through to The Lost Age, as far as I know it only shows up in two places in the series.

Both are kinda important though, even if the second instance is an optional visit.
    I may or may not be biased in that it is one of my favorite songs from this series.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    golden sun has godly music

also, fuck you i just spent like an hour at TVtropes and then THAT linked me to cracked where i spent ANOTHER 2 hours AAAAAAAA

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Those sites will eat your free time alive.

Also, what are your plans for classes?

They'll never be as good as mine were in Lost Age though.
    If someone was capable of being a samurai, they were a samurai.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    DarisDaris Registered User regular
    golden sun has godly music

also, fuck you i just spent like an hour at TVtropes and then THAT linked me to cracked where i spent ANOTHER 2 hours AAAAAAAA

You know you love the boulder! Stop denying it! You love the boulder!

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFKPL1nq2QQ

I wish Nintendo would release an OST of the two games. Music rips have such bad quality. The tracks don't even have official names! Or if Motoi Sakuraba would rearrange a few select tracks into an album, I would probably listen to it every day forever. The Brawl remix is alright - I prefer the Fusion Dragon theme over the Doom Dragon theme mainly due to the badass keyboard synth and drums - but I want MOAR. Why do Tales of, Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile get all the lovin'? :(

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    Well Terrendos at least you aren't doing a Planescape Torment LP. The amount of text in that game makes zork seem light.

sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    Chapter 3: Non-Standard Game Over
    Welcome back to Let's Play: Golden Sun. When last we left our heroes Isaac, Garet, and Jenna, they had discovered a secret cavern in the depths of Mt. Aleph containing mystical gems known as the Elemental Stars. Kraden thinks they're super spiffy, but he's an old man, so Jenna suggests that the spry young men Isaac and Garet gather these ancient and incredibly powerful artifacts for him.

Yeah, nothing could go wrong here.

On the plus side, this area does have one of the best songs in the game, so let's hear it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpYo0lAwQ2g

GoldenSun_658.jpg

Yeah, yeah, old man. I heard you the first time.

GoldenSun_659.jpg

Can't go this way. Looks like we'll need to figure out a way to raise those columns.

GoldenSun_660.jpg

We can get to the yellow-glowy lady easily enough. We reach over to take the gem in her hands....

GoldenSun_663.jpg

...and more columns spring to life.

GoldenSun_664.jpg

1 down, 3 to go.

GoldenSun_665.jpg

Shut up, Kraden.

GoldenSun_667.jpg

The path opened allowing us access to the Mercury Star, so naturally that's our next stop.

GoldenSun_668.jpg

2 down, 2 to-

GoldenSun_669.jpg

Sigh.

GoldenSun_671.jpg

We secure the third star. 3 down, 1...

GoldenSun_673.jpg

...to go?

GoldenSun_674.jpg

Oh hey, it's those guys again! The ones that tried to kill us, then gave Kraden and us vague threats. I wonder what they're doing here?

Time for another soundtrack change, by the way. Behold, Saturos and Menardi's theme!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys8vlVo72AE

GoldenSun_675.jpg

GoldenSun_676.jpg

I believe this is the part where Isaac should be saying the exact same thing to Kraden.

GoldenSun_677.jpg

GoldenSun_678.jpg

...and then conned several teenagers to come steal you the Elemental Stars that you said could take over the world, so that they could take the fall for you when you inevitably get caught?

GoldenSun_679.jpg

Jenna shows her selfless side. A bunch of clowns have come to steal ancient, mystical artifacts of untold power. But more importantly, how's this going to affect me?

GoldenSun_680.jpg

Kraden does what he can to keep her calm.

GoldenSun_681.jpg

Felix1.gif: That was our agreement, was it not?

GoldenSun_683.jpg

GoldenSun_684.jpg

Menardi.gif: Isn't that enough?

Saturos.gif: You heard us... if you wish to save your friends, then give us the Elemental Stars!

GoldenSun_688.jpg

(Yes) This is another "But Thou Must" situation anyway.

GoldenSun_689.jpg

GoldenSun_690.jpg

GoldenSun_691.jpg

GoldenSun_692.jpg

GoldenSun_693.jpg

GoldenSun_694.jpg

Saturos.gif: Ah, of course. a fine idea... he will be our guarantee. Under the circumstances, we have little choice. Felix, remove your mask!

Felix? That name sounds familiar!

felix.jpg

Wait a minute.

GoldenSun_698.jpg

GoldenSun_699.jpg

(Yes)

Garet2.gif: You heard it too? Felix? It can't be...

GoldenSun_702.jpg

(No) If there's one thing I've learned from RPGs and cartoons, it's that they're never dead unless you can see the body, and even sometimes then.

GoldenSun_703.jpg

My point exactly.

GoldenSun_704.jpg

GoldenSun_705.jpg

I understand that this line is intended to be a reminder for the player, but really it just makes me hate Kraden even more.

GoldenSun_706.jpg

GoldenSun_707.jpg

Felix1.gif: I'll... take off my mask.

GoldenSun_709.jpg

This would be way more of a revelation if his head weren't the size of a piece of couscous.

GoldenSun_710.jpg

Two different people with the same first name? Not really. There were like 3 other people with my first name in my high school graduating class. I've known like a dozen different Rachels.

GoldenSun_711.jpg

GoldenSun_712.jpg

Oh I guess it's him. Don't really see the family resemblance, aside from the fact they both get portraits.

Felix2.gif: It was a miracle that I survived that day....

GoldenSun_714.jpg

Menardi.gif: We saw him floating unconscious in the river as we passed.

GoldenSun_716.jpg

Jenna.gif: But why? Why did you leave me all alone...

Felix2.gif: Jenna...

Jenna.gif: My own brother! I thought you were dead!

GoldenSun_721.jpg

GoldenSun_722.jpg

Saturos.gif: Is this acceptable? Felix would never allow us to harm you... or his sister.

GoldenSun_725.jpg

GoldenSun_726.jpg

(Yes) Again, doesn't make any difference. If you say no, Garet steals the Elemental Stars from Isaac.

GoldenSun_727.jpg

GoldenSun_728.jpg

GoldenSun_729.jpg

Garet does some amusing "jumping" across the columns.

GoldenSun_730.jpg

Then this pretentious fop appears in front of him.

Saturos.gif: Oh, Alex... you're late! Alex is another of our companions. Hand the stones to him.

GoldenSun_733.jpg

Garet finds something else to complain about in this highly tense situation.

GoldenSun_734.jpg

GoldenSun_735.jpg

Alex.gif: For you will be bringing us the remaining Elemental Star as well.

Garet2.gif: Wait a second!

GoldenSun_738.jpg

The blue hair dude is flying. I find that remarkably awesome. Spoiler alert: Our heroes will never be able to master this power. You know why? Because it would trivialize just about every puzzle in this game and the sequel. Letting the dude fly is either a huge tease or a programming shortcut because the scripters got tired of having the characters walk everywhere in cutscenes.

GoldenSun_739.jpg

Garet2.gif: You said you'd set Jenna free if we gave you the Elemental Stars. You promised...

Garet tries to find a loophole in the contract. Sadly, he forgot that the extent of his experience in contract law is "the pinky-swear."

GoldenSun_742.jpg

GoldenSun_743.jpg

Alex.gif: Thank you for your cooperation. We'll be waiting for the rest....

At this point, we actually have to walk around the crowd of hostage-takers in order to get to the Mars Star. You'd think these idiots could pick it up themselves. Heck, send the flying dude to get it, what's the big deal?

GoldenSun_746.jpg

We stop to talk to all of them en route.

GoldenSun_747.jpg

GoldenSun_748.jpg

GoldenSun_749.jpg

At least you can admit it, Kraden. This really is entirely your fault. We won't see precisely for sure to what extent for a while yet, but it's pretty bad.

GoldenSun_750.jpg

GoldenSun_751.jpg

Felix is the strong, silent type.

GoldenSun_752.jpg

GoldenSun_753.jpg

The moment we take the Mars Star from the statue, the water leaves the cavern and a different music starts playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGDQ6rVESk4

GoldenSun_754.jpg

GoldenSun_756.jpg

This seems bad.

GoldenSun_757.jpg

Jenna.gif: The water's gone!

GoldenSun_759.jpg

GoldenSun_760.jpg

What "terrible retribution?" Oh, you mean all the dire warnings given by the people of Vale to be careful about exploring Sol Sanctum?

GoldenSun_761.jpg

Or not.

GoldenSun_763.jpg

Well, we're inside a volcano. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say it was probably the volcano. It's pretty apparent that Menardi isn't the brightest bulb. Then again, neither is Saturos.

GoldenSun_764.jpg

What's what?

GoldenSun_765.jpg

GoldenSun_766.jpg

Oh hey a floating, cycloptic rock. Didn't see that one coming. (Yes) It's a floating, cycloptic rock.

GoldenSun_767.jpg

Then why are you asking me?

GoldenSun_768.jpg

Alex.gif: Such power... incredible!

GoldenSun_770.jpg

GoldenSun_771.jpg

It's really not that amazing, folks. I mean yeah it's a floating rock. But don't you guys remember the Mt Aleph Boulder from 3 years back? That was an even larger floating rock.

GoldenSun_772.jpg

GoldenSun_773.jpg

Menardi.gif: But we need the Mars Star, we can't leave it behind!

GoldenSun_775.jpg

Saturos.gif: The Mars Star will have to wait for another day.

GoldenSun_777.jpg

Saturos.gif: Forget about them. They won't make it out alive.

GoldenSun_779.jpg

GoldenSun_780.jpg

Alex.gif: We take this "Jenna" with us... If they survive, they will want her back. And if they want her back, they will bring us the Star. Regardless, Kraden must come with us. He is connected to all of this.

GoldenSun_784.jpg

Alex.gif: Conditions have changed since we made that promise.

GoldenSun_786.jpg

GoldenSun_787.jpg

Sounds like Kraden's feeling guilty. As well he should.

GoldenSun_788.jpg

Menardi.gif: If we leave Jenna, she will surely die. Is that what you want, Felix?

I'd just like to say that, at this point, if we'd just shut up and made straight for the exit, we could be back in Vale right now. Instead, we stand around talking in the midst of this highly time-sensitive situation. You'd think that if the psychic rock had intended to murder you people, it would have made its move already.

GoldenSun_790.jpg

GoldenSun_791.jpg

GoldenSun_792.jpg

GoldenSun_793.jpg

Oh yeah, now we're all dying to go.

GoldenSun_794.jpg

GoldenSun_795.jpg

Saturos.gif: Menardi! Master Kraden, you will be joining us, of course!

GoldenSun_798.jpg

Jenna is brimming with confidence concerning our current situation.

GoldenSun_800.jpg

Alex.gif: It's a pity that we have to leave it, but perhaps we'll be seeing it soon....

Okay, pause. So these guys need all four Elemental Stars for their diabolical plan, right? And they know that this cavern is collapsing. So their plan is... leave the Mars Star in the cavern that's about to be collapsed burying it forever under lava. If for some reason the heroes survive, then they can follow after the villains with the star and trade the Mars Star for Jenna? There's a MacGuffin Delivery Service in there too, but I just don't have enough room. These guys just lost, like, a thousand points for lack of creativity. And that's aside from the fact that, if Isaac and Garet fail to survive, their entire plan is doomed, and they refuse to intervene even though they're aware of this.

picard-facepalm.jpg

• Options
    (cont'd)

GoldenSun_802.jpg

Isaac and Garet are next spotted hiding behind the Mars Statue.

GoldenSun_804.jpg

(Yup) No arguments here.

GoldenSun_805.jpg

Garet2.gif: Jenna and Kraden are gone!

Garet walks over to try to leave, but the boulder appears before us.

GoldenSun_815.jpg

Garet hasn't spotted it yet.

GoldenSun_817.jpg

GoldenSun_818.jpg

Garet2.gif: You're the dangerous one!

GoldenSun_820.jpg

There's a flare-up in the cavern. The boulder flies over to investigate.

GoldenSun_821.jpg

He uses some Psynergy, and the flare-up subsides.

GoldenSun_824.jpg

GoldenSun_825.jpg

This guy doesn't have a portrait. I like to think it's because they asked an artist to draw them a photo of a magic Boulder with a single round eye and the artist replied by smacking them with his sketchbook. Unsurprisingly, there's essentially no Wise One fanart that I could find. If anyone happens to find some (or draw some, what is this, Something Awful?) I'll post it with a bio or something when I get around to character bios.

GoldenSun_826.jpg

A bunch of golden tumors appear on the statue, then break off and fly away. I think it's called metastasizing.

GoldenSun_827.jpg

GoldenSun_828.jpg

And now for the most important plot point in perhaps this entire episode. This seems highly innocuous, and it won't be mentioned again for a long, long time. But it's an important thing to remember.

GoldenSun_829.jpg

GoldenSun_830.jpg

GoldenSun_832.jpg

GoldenSun_833.jpg

Or perhaps he was just using it to see where the other Stars are.

GoldenSun_834.jpg

More tumors, this time on the Venus statue.

GoldenSun_835.jpg

GoldenSun_836.jpg

GoldenSun_837.jpg

And more...

GoldenSun_839.jpg

Another reason why Saturos and Menardi are incompetent fools.

GoldenSun_840.jpg

The golden tumors leave the final statue.

GoldenSun_841.jpg

Garet2.gif: Alchemy? A threat?

GoldenSun_843.jpg

GoldenSun_844.jpg

GoldenSun_845.jpg

GoldenSun_846.jpg

GoldenSun_848.jpg

Another flare-up. The Wise One flies over and tries to halt it....

GoldenSun_850.jpg

...but he can't.

GoldenSun_851.jpg

Garet2.gif: But how?

I dunno, Garet. Maybe out the door? The way we came in? The way Team Clown Makeup left?

GoldenSun_853.jpg

The Wise One uses Isaac's Retreat Psynergy for him or something. Anyway, we reappear outside the door. Now begins the epic fleeing the collapsing temple scene!

GoldenSun_856.jpg

GoldenSun_858.jpg

(Yes)

GoldenSun_859.jpg

Exeunt Team Isaac.

GoldenSun_860.jpg

GoldenSun_862.jpg

There's no more random battles in here, by the way. That might distract from the tension, and it's actually a fairly decent thing for the developers to do. I will say that, although the game does suffer from random battle syndrome they're actually pretty reasonable with the encounter rate, in two ways:

1. The battles tend to be spaced pretty far apart. - We had about 5 battles coming down here.

2. The encounter rate drops even more in puzzle-heavy rooms. - This is absolutely wonderful, because there's no better way to lose your train of thought on solving a puzzle than being interrupted every 10 feet by a battle.

3. The battle avoidance item is cheap and readily available.

4. Level grinding is rarely a prerequisite. - This is less true on the first time through the game, but once you know most of the secret places and power ups you essentially never have to level grind.

Wow that got off topic. Back to the escape!

GoldenSun_864.jpg

GoldenSun_865.jpg

Uh oh, our path back to town has been blocked by looky-loos. Maybe they captured Team Clown Makeup fleeing the scene?

GoldenSun_867.jpg

Well, Mr. Viking Man, you was wrong!

GoldenSun_868.jpg

Garet's Grandpa, the Mayor, weighs in on the matter.

GoldenSun_869.jpg

GoldenSun_870.jpg

Man, we were so stealth! Who saw us?

GoldenSun_871.jpg

Dora.gif: Isaac and Garet went to Mr. Kraden's house.

Odd that she leaves out mention of Jenna. I guess nobody cares about the orphan.

GoldenSun_873.jpg

GoldenSun_874.jpg

GoldenSun_876.jpg

GoldenSun_877.jpg

(Yes) Let's head towards the erupting volcano. Surely this is your most brilliant plan ever, Garet!

GoldenSun_879.jpg

Wait no... stop, you idiot!

GoldenSun_881.jpg

Welp, we're in trouble now.

GoldenSun_883.jpg

Well, Garet's Grandpa, we decided to go for a picnic inside Sol Sanctum because Jenna said it was lovely this time of year.

GoldenSun_884.jpg

GoldenSun_885.jpg

(Yes)

GoldenSun_886.jpg

GoldenSun_888.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is where I have a brain aneurysm. Can't he just read my LP if he wants to know?

GoldenSun_889.jpg

GoldenSun_891.jpg

Sepia tone? We watch as Isaac and Garet act out the plot thus far. Oh, and within the temple there's another theme change. This is the only version of it I can find:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcg3v245kgM

GoldenSun_896.jpg

GoldenSun_897.jpg

(Yes)

GoldenSun_898.jpg

GoldenSun_899.jpg

(Yes) Isaac, eternal optimist.

GoldenSun_900.jpg

GoldenSun_901.jpg

Again, I'm pretty sure this is Garet's Grandpa speaking. No idea why he doesn't get a portrait, since he gets the most speaking parts of any of Garet's family.

GoldenSun_902.jpg

GoldenSun_903.jpg

So it turns out the Viking Dude is actually the Great Healer. He's the fellow that'll raise your dead and cure your curses and such.

GoldenSun_904.jpg

GoldenSun_905.jpg

GoldenSun_906.jpg

GoldenSun_907.jpg

Garet2.gif: You saw it just now?

GoldenSun_909.jpg

GoldenSun_910.jpg

GoldenSun_911.jpg

He says, "It's all Kraden's fault."

Dora.gif: Will the volcano destroy Vale?

GoldenSun_914.jpg

Looks like Vale is going to be the next Herculaneum.

GoldenSun_915.jpg

Yup. Covered in molten rock.

GoldenSun_916.jpg

GoldenSun_917.jpg

GoldenSun_918.jpg

He just said it wouldn't.

GoldenSun_919.jpg

Garet2.gif: What could be worse than the destruction of Vale?

Kraden living through this. That old fart better be killed for all the trouble he's caused.

GoldenSun_921.jpg

Oh, really? Could you perhaps be bringing a bit less to the table, Great Healer?

GoldenSun_922.jpg

Good thing we've got one. That means we can make use of it, to make ourselves super-powered and blow stuff up, right?

GoldenSun_923.jpg

GoldenSun_924.jpg

GoldenSun_925.jpg

...finally get its act together and lynch Kraden?

GoldenSun_926.jpg

GoldenSun_928.jpg

GoldenSun_929.jpg

GoldenSun_930.jpg

GoldenSun_931.jpg

Dora.gif: Then what can we do?

I propose a task force be established to retrieve the Stars. Gather the town's greatest warriors together, we'll take a squad of twenty strong and leave at daybreak.

GoldenSun_933.jpg

Whoops, wrong trope.

GoldenSun_934.jpg

Yeah, Isaac. I know how you're feeling.

Dora.gif: Are you suggesting we place the fate of the world... in the hands of Isaac and Garet?

GoldenSun_937.jpg

Grandpa has no confidence.

GoldenSun_938.jpg

Yeah, well speak again Wise One, there's no reason we can't have a couple dozen bodyguards.

GoldenSun_939.jpg

GoldenSun_940.jpg

GoldenSun_941.jpg

Garet, for once, is indecisive.

GoldenSun_942.jpg

(No) I'm out. Wise One can handle this bizness himself.

GoldenSun_943.jpg

Garet2.gif: It is a terrible burden. To be responsible for the fate of the world.

Dora.gif: Mother would never doubt your courage just because you declined.

GoldenSun_946.jpg

Huh? That doesn't even make sense.

GoldenSun_947.jpg

Like I said, I'm out.

GoldenSun_949.jpg

Yup! It's a Non-Standard Game Over! That was about the only time your choosing an answer in those yes/no forks has an actual difference.

GoldenSun_950.jpg

...and then it makes us pick back up anyway.

GoldenSun_942.jpg

(Yes)

GoldenSun_951.jpg

Garet instantly regrets putting his choice in my hands. That's right, Garet, I've screwed you again!

GoldenSun_952.jpg

GoldenSun_953.jpg

GoldenSun_954.jpg

GoldenSun_955.jpg

GoldenSun_957.jpg

Oh snap it's the Wise One!

GoldenSun_958.jpg

Isaac2.gif: GoldenSun_949.jpg

"Oh, uhh... I mean... you are quite brave to have been forced into this task."

GoldenSun_959.jpg

Dora.gif: That was the Wise One.

Thank you, Dora.

GoldenSun_961.jpg

GoldenSun_962.jpg

No, he said we're brave. Also, I think he said that Garet's Grandpa was a douche.

GoldenSun_964.jpg

GoldenSun_965.jpg

Unless the Elemental Star is SUPER SUBTLE about the way it guides us, then it offers absolutely zero guidance. We will find the lighthouses purely by way of plot contrivance.

GoldenSun_967.jpg

Dora.gif: What should they do there?

GoldenSun_970.jpg

GoldenSun_971.jpg

GoldenSun_972.jpg

Um... okay. Still got no clue what I'm supposed to do at these lighthouses though. Kill the watchman? Break the lightbulb? Burn it to the ground?

Garet2.gif: Isn't there anything else?

GoldenSun_974.jpg

GoldenSun_975.jpg

GoldenSun_976.jpg

GoldenSun_977.jpg

GoldenSun_978.jpg

GoldenSun_979.jpg

My sentiments exactly.

GoldenSun_980.jpg

No-neck breaks the awkward silence.

GoldenSun_981.jpg

His identical twin departs with him.

GoldenSun_982.jpg

GoldenSun_983.jpg

Dora.gif: I agree, but... they didn't give us any other choice.

GoldenSun_986.jpg

Dora.gif: It doesn't sound like we can afford to wait.

GoldenSun_988.jpg

GoldenSun_989.jpg

And we fade to black.

• Options
    (cont'd again)
    Fade in, and we're at the plaza in Vale, near the entrance to the town, watching two children.

GoldenSun_990.jpg

GoldenSun_991.jpg

GoldenSun_992.jpg

I really don't understand the purpose of this conversation. Basically everything these kids say is either restated elsewhere or can be easily inferred. Since you can't see the animation that indicates which player is speaking from screenshots, it's also a bit confusing.

GoldenSun_993.jpg

GoldenSun_994.jpg

GoldenSun_995.jpg

GoldenSun_996.jpg

GoldenSun_997.jpg

GoldenSun_998.jpg

GoldenSun_999.jpg

GoldenSun_1000.jpg

Thus endeth the most fascinating part of the story.

GoldenSun_1001.jpg

GoldenSun_1002.jpg

Garet's sister offers "helpful" advice.

GoldenSun_1003.jpg

GoldenSun_1004.jpg

Way to drop the benjamins, huh.

Garet2.gif: I know better than to drink stagnant water, Sis!

GoldenSun_1006.jpg

GoldenSun_1007.jpg

This is largely an informed ability, or perhaps Isaac's younger sibling is lying. I am reasonably sure that it is never mentioned again.

GoldenSun_1008.jpg

GoldenSun_1009.jpg

GoldenSun_1010.jpg

"Aunty" here does not mean that Isaac and Garet are related. I think the kid is just a little slow.

GoldenSun_1011.jpg

The Catch Beads are a useful item, but I'll explain them later. Suffice it to say, you've already seen them in action.

Garet2.gif: I guess we're all set to go, huh Isaac?

GoldenSun_1013.jpg

GoldenSun_1014.jpg

GoldenSun_1015.jpg

Garet's family all looks the same.

GoldenSun_1016.jpg

GoldenSun_1017.jpg

Well then maybe she should have tried a little harder to reason with the Wise One.

GoldenSun_1018.jpg

GoldenSun_1019.jpg

Finally someone voices my precise concern.

GoldenSun_1020.jpg

GoldenSun_1021.jpg

There's the first use of the seldom-seen bold font.

GoldenSun_1022.jpg

And we leave! Behind us is our hometown of Vale, to our front is the World Map. It's where we'll be ending this Chapter. Now that the plot is finally fully underway, I feel comfortable getting some character descriptions up, so that'll probably happen before the next chapter.

Speaking of which, next chapter we'll meet our first Djinn and head for the noble town of Vault! And cutscenes will abound.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I always liked that non-standard game over. I can't think of many games that give the player the option to just ignore the quest altogether.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    The next 20 hours of gametime will be spent farming and hauling rocks for the people of the village, and the enemies of vale win the game anyways.

• Options
    Terrendos, if you have trouble finding a given track I should be able to get it for you; just toss a PM, I'll get ahold of it for you.

The joys of having the equipment to do so!

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    ah, the vault storyline is always fun :)

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    Well my copy of GS2 arrived yesterday so started ripping through the first game again to refresh the story for me. Just want to say great LP and thanks for getting me back into the serries.

sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    That Game Over's a bit odd, really.
    Especially considering the world would've been screwed if Isaac's quest actually succeeded. So maybe Saturos and Menardi would've ended up getting their party killed had Isaac and friends not come along and murder them?

It's also silly how Felix said he's experienced a lot over the 3 years but is still only level 1 at the start of TLA.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    Especially considering the world would've been screwed if Isaac's quest actually succeeded. So maybe Saturos and Menardi would've ended up getting their party killed had Isaac and friends not come along and murder them?

It's also silly how Felix said he's experienced a lot over the 3 years but is still only level 1 at the start of TLA.
    Isaac and co. are pretty instrumental in the later part of The Lost Age, and Saturos, Menardi, Agaito and Karst are all fairly terrible at lighthouses.

The implication was that they wouldn't have been able to pull it off without our heroes.

• Options
    Meh, Felix and Alex together could have ripped through the lighthouses no doubt.

• Options
    the problem with alex is that he is literally the laziest person ever

RxI0N.png
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Well, it's not like they were lacking an adept of each element. So maybe they wouldn't be able to storm Vale a third time for the Mars Star because of the Wise One?

On a different topic, I was kinda pissed when I first played TLA because I took the time to abuse the RNG to get the super equipment in GS only for it to all be utter shit once Isaac joins up. Friggin Kikuichimonji.

• Options
    MechMantis wrote:

Isaac and co. are pretty instrumental in the later part of The Lost Age, and Saturos, Menardi, Agaito and Karst are all fairly terrible at lighthouses.

The implication was that they wouldn't have been able to pull it off without our heroes.
    Keep in mind that Saturos, Menardi, and possibly Alex were incapable of solving the Sol Sanctum puzzle without triggering the Boulder and such. That really bodes poorly for them being able to solve the lighthouses on their own.

Sometimes I like to think that, had Isaac stayed home, he'd have found Vale attacked about 6 months later by super-powered Team Felix, supercharged because they've now all got the 72 Djinn divided amongst 4 people rather than 8, then they take the Mars Star from Level 2 Isaac, and go curb stomp the final lighthouse and final boss.

• Options
    DarisDaris Registered User regular
    It's amazing how many times you have to facepalm playing this.

• Options
    Well, it's not like they were lacking an adept of each element. So maybe they wouldn't be able to storm Vale a third time for the Mars Star because of the Wise One?

On a different topic, I was kinda pissed when I first played TLA because I took the time to abuse the RNG to get the super equipment in GS only for it to all be utter shit once Isaac joins up. Friggin Kikuichimonji.

i can totally sympathize, because i also wasted X years of my life grinding the earth golems for that thing.

RxI0N.png
  • Options
    I hung onto those crappy random drops just out of principle of the matter.

No Mr. Shopkeep, I will not sell you this insanely rare sword for a thousand gold. It's mine.

• Options
    The first six character descriptions are up. I'll add more as the game progresses.

• Options
    Team afterthought, hah.

• Options
    Chapter 4: One Hand Clutching His Bony Rod
    Welcome back to Let's Play: Golden Sun. Last time, Jenna and Kraden got themselves kidnapped by Team Jerkface. Now Isaac and Garet have to go save their sorry butts.

Speaking of which...

GoldenSun_002.jpg

Here we are, on the World Map. The world is actually known as Weyard, for what it's worth. As you might suspect, our presence on the World Map means there's a new song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i3X5rbzkp8

Yup yup. Say, what's that odd speck to the southeast?

GoldenSun_004.jpg

Quick, kill it!

GoldenSun_005.jpg

The strange, imp-like creature does the helix-shaped "look, I'm using Psynergy" thing.

GoldenSun_006.jpg

GoldenSun_007.jpg

<insert Star Wars reference here>

Venus.gif: Won't you please take me along with you? I am a Venus Djinni. My name is Flint. I must find my comrades. We were separated from each other when the volcano erupted.

Remember those odd fireflies that appeared on the statues inside Sol Sanctum? This is the first one we've met so far.

GoldenSun_012.jpg

Venus.gif: If you let me join you, I'll prove to be very beneficial to you Adepts! Your Psynergy will grow stronger, and your Adept skills will also improve! You can call on us in battle or just use our power to boost your own! If you call on many of us at once, our powers will work together!

GoldenSun_017.jpg

(Yes)

GoldenSun_018.jpg

GoldenSun_019.jpg

Flint then launches into a long and boring tutorial about how to use Djinn, which I'm not going to cover. Instead, I'll give you the short version.

Djinn are little creatures that our characters can Set, or equip, in order to give a passive boost to their strength. Different Djinn give different stat boosts. You can utilize a Djinni in battle for an effect, such as an attack or an in-battle temporary boost to a stat. Using a Djinn this way switches them into "Standby" mode, and you lose the passive boost. However, one or more Djinn on Standby can be used to cast Summons, the most powerful attacks in the game. After they're Summoned, the Djinn rest for a while before returning to Set status. Djinn are a vital aspect of this game; it's very important that you get every Djinni you can find. The stat boosts are really helpful, and the damage they do as Summons and the helpful effects they provide when used are a huge help.

The other thing you need to know about Djinn is that they affect your characters' classes. For example, Isaac is a Squire right now, the basic physically-focused Venus Psynergy class. If he Sets two Venus Djinn, he'll become a Knight. Knights have much better stats than Squires. Similarly, Setting this Venus Djinn on Garet will change him from a Guard to a Brute. He won't gain any noticeable stat boosts from that particular class change, but his Psynergy will change drastically:

GoldenSun_029.jpg

Well, okay, right now it doesn't do all that much. But once Garet learns a few more spells it will be a big change. There's Djinn for each of the four elements, and Setting different Djinn to different characters can drastically affect character performance. For the most part, it's tough to go wrong with just equipping the Djinn of the same element as the character.

Anyway, Flint's in-battle use is a powerful melee attack against a single target:

GoldenSun_042.jpg

That's about twice the damage Isaac would have otherwise done against that target. The Venus Summon, which requires the single Venus Djinni on Standby, is an Earth-element attack against all foes:

GoldenSun_048.jpg

Summons are real pretty.

GoldenSun_049.jpg

And they're powerful too.

GoldenSun_050.jpg

You ain't just whistlin' dixie, brother.

GoldenSun_059.jpg

GoldenSun_060.jpg

GoldenSun_061.jpg

GoldenSun_062.jpg

GoldenSun_063.jpg

We get this cool effect whenever we force a Djinni into our service. It looks a bit different depending on which element Djinni it is. For now, I'll be leaving this Djinni set on Isaac. When I get a few more, I'll be willing to do some experimenting, but frankly, I don't want to mess with Isaac's Psynergy just yet.

I decided to do a bit of level-grinding here before moving on to the next town. I ran into a Zombie and thought I'd show off Isaac's new Psynergy, Quake:

GoldenSun_064.jpg

GoldenSun_065.jpg

GoldenSun_066.jpg

Fortunately, that's when Garet leveled up!

GoldenSun_068.jpg

I stuck around a bit longer and got Isaac another level, too.

GoldenSun_069.jpg

I'll show off Earthquake later.

GoldenSun_070.jpg

This is Vault. It's the town nearest Vale. We decide to enter, when there's a cutscene!

GoldenSun_071.jpg

GoldenSun_073.jpg

A convoy of wagons leaves the town.

GoldenSun_074.jpg

GoldenSun_075.jpg

Don't let us get in your way, old man. We've got places to go!

GoldenSun_076.jpg

That's not good.

GoldenSun_077.jpg

GoldenSun_078.jpg

GoldenSun_079.jpg

Lord_Hammet.gif: This is awful... how are we going to get to Kalay now?

GoldenSun_081.jpg

GoldenSun_082.jpg

Lord_Hammet.gif: And his strange powers will aid him in search of the rod.

I really hope I'm not the only person who finds this part funny. I feel like a 12 year old, but I guess I enjoy low humor.

GoldenSun_084.jpg

"Ivan is good at finding rods. I don't know if that qualifies as a special power or not, though..."

GoldenSun_086.jpg

Suddenly, a meteorite made of crystal smashes to the ground nearby. It was coming from the direction of Mt. Aleph. If you'll recall, the volcano was supposed to be erupting. Apparently this rock must have been launched from the caldera.

GoldenSun_087.jpg

Oh, come on. What are the odds of another rock hitting the same place twice?

GoldenSun_088.jpg

I say head for Vale. Rocky said he'd protect the village, right?

GoldenSun_089.jpg

GoldenSun_090.jpg

GoldenSun_091.jpg

I'm pretty sure that there are zero actual casualties as a result of this eruption. But sure, throw yourself into harm's way, what do I care?

GoldenSun_093.jpg

The caravan heads north, and we continue into Vault.

GoldenSun_095.jpg

Vault is a small town almost completely surrounded by a wall of dirt. I don't know how they pulled that off when none of them are Adepts, but whatevs.

GoldenSun_096.jpg

GoldenSun_097.jpg

(No)

GoldenSun_098.jpg

We talk to a bunch of the townsfolk, but they're all boring. Let's loot their houses!

GoldenSun_107.jpg

GoldenSun_130.jpg

GoldenSun_149.jpg

This is pretty much the only treasure I could find in the village. It'll make sense why soon.

GoldenSun_106.jpg

Whoops. Sorry about that. Tell you what, we'll stop by your shops and buy some upgrades while we're here.

GoldenSun_112.jpg

Of course not! I'm not stealing anything!

GoldenSun_113.jpg

Or maybe that's what the thieves want you to think! I'd double-check everyone besides me, just to be safe.

GoldenSun_114.jpg

Hrm.

GoldenSun_115.jpg

We head up to the watchtower, and there's a dude on watch. I wonder if he spotted the thieves.

GoldenSun_116.jpg

GoldenSun_117.jpg

I guess not. Hey, let's give everyone a good scare and ring the bell!

GoldenSun_118.jpg

Hey, what's that that just jumped out of the tree to the east? It looks like another Djinni! How'm'I gonna get to it?

Answer: I'll have to come back much later in the game.

GoldenSun_099.jpg

GoldenSun_100.jpg

Yeah, well at least you don't have a dopey best friend that comes along and ruins all your hard work. That's right, Garet, I'm talking about you.

Okay, before this whole "nut-and-bomb" robbery gets too out of hand, I need a scapegoat to pin everything on.

GoldenSun_108.jpg

That's right, buddy! You're the one who stole the Nut!

...(No) I need to solve my own problems. Wait, what was that about the Shaman's Rod? I don't have one of those....

GoldenSun_109.jpg

GoldenSun_110.jpg

Wait a minute.... That means there's some other robbers! Which explains why there's not a whole lot of free stuff sitting around in the barrels in town.

GoldenSun_121.jpg

The level grinding got me pretty beat up, so I rested at the inn before dropping all my gold at the local shops.

GoldenSun_131.jpg

GoldenSun_132.jpg

We buy a Long Sword for Isaac and a Battle Axe for Garet.

GoldenSun_140.jpg

The guy gives us a Game Ticket. What is a Game Ticket? You'll find out in a long, long time. For now, just know that you get them occasionally when you buy things.

GoldenSun_144.jpg

Then we talk to the armor guy and buy a pair of Travel Vests (a step up from our Cotton Shirts), a pair of Leather Caps (one of which nets us a Game Ticket), and lastly a Wooden Shield for Isaac.

GoldenSun_150.jpg

I'm not getting framed for this Shaman's Rod debacle. I can't take life behind bars!

GoldenSun_151.jpg

GoldenSun_152.jpg

Don't care. Let's talk to the Mayor about this whole business. Maybe he'll help us.

GoldenSun_153.jpg

Shut up about this Ivan jerk!

GoldenSun_158.jpg

This must be Ivan. We try to talk to him, but he uses some Psynergy on us!

GoldenSun_161.jpg

GoldenSun_160.jpg

This would be way more suspenseful if it didn't say the name of the Psynergy right there in the box.

GoldenSun_162.jpg

Well, not exactly.

GoldenSun_165.jpg

Ivan.gif: We have so much in common, I feel I can trust you with this. I am quite troubled- Master Hammet's rod was stolen.

GoldenSun_168.jpg

(Yes) After all, "Spare the rod, spoil the child."

GoldenSun_169.jpg

GoldenSun_171.jpg

(Mind Read)

GoldenSun_174.jpg

GoldenSun_176.jpg

GoldenSun_177.jpg

Isaac and Garet express their feelings succinctly.

GoldenSun_179.jpg

(Yes)

GoldenSun_181.jpg

GoldenSun_184.jpg

GoldenSun_185.jpg

Well, I was expecting to see a dead hamster lying paws-up on a wheel, but I guess so.

Ivan.gif: Just as I thought.

GoldenSun_187.jpg

Ivan.gif: I guessed that I could help you read minds if we shared our Psynergy.

BS. You didn't even know it was called Psynergy thirty seconds ago. Now you suddenly know how to share it with other Adepts, when we're the only other chumps with magic powers you've met as far back as you can remember?

GoldenSun_191.jpg

GoldenSun_192.jpg

GoldenSun_193.jpg

GoldenSun_194.jpg

Good. Because I sent you a special message about what I'll do to you if it happens again.

GoldenSun_195.jpg

GoldenSun_197.jpg

Light bulbs mean "I have an idea!" or "I understand!"

GoldenSun_198.jpg

Ivan.gif: Isaac, both you and Garet are Adepts... Maybe that's why you can tell when I'm reading your minds. Ordinary people can't see anything. There's nothing to worry about. Don't worry... I will not read your minds again.

GoldenSun_203.jpg

And our duo has become a Power Trio. In this case, Garet's the id, Ivan is the superego, and Isaac rounds out the party as the Kirk, resident ego.

• Options
    (cont'd)
    GoldenSun_206.jpg

Ivan's level 4 and has two OOC Psynergies, Whirlwind and Mind Read. Mind Read is one of those reasons why this game has so much bloody dialogue: every single NPC has at least one block of normal text and one block of Mind Read text; many have several. I'm not going to show every conversation and every Mind Read in the game because I'm pretty sure I'd have a brain aneurysm. Instead, I'll try to remember to Mind Read important people and I'll display the text if it's relevant/funny/interesting.

GoldenSun_209.jpg

Eww.

Now then, let's go talk to that jerk by the tree who said he didn't know anything about the Shaman's Rod.

GoldenSun_210.jpg

GoldenSun_211.jpg

Welp, clap the irons, we've got 'em. Oh, I guess we need proof.

GoldenSun_218.jpg

There's his two compadres, perhaps they'll let slip a hint.

GoldenSun_219.jpg

Uh oh, they've noticed us. Looks like it's time for another Law and Order: Special Psynergy Unit.

GoldenSun_220.jpg

"My name is detective Isaac, this is my associate, Officer Garet. Our forensic specialist Ivan would like a moment of your time."

GoldenSun_221.jpg

"Insulting an officer of the law is not wise. Your future lies in our hands."

GoldenSun_222.jpg

"Resisting questioning? I'll obtain a warrant if I must, but I can tell you this isn't going to be pretty."

GoldenSun_224.jpg

We chase them around the room like kindergartners. Sigh.

GoldenSun_229.jpg

Come on, Ivan. Garet's already got our quota of obvious statements more than filled. If you're going to be part of our group, you're going to need to find your own place.

GoldenSun_231.jpg

(No) See? Garet's already got that job.

GoldenSun_232.jpg

It's worth mentioning that you have to leave in order to bring up this cutscene. My first runthrough, I spent nearly half an hour thinking I could chase them down and talk to them before they escaped.

GoldenSun_234.jpg

GoldenSun_235.jpg

GoldenSun_236.jpg

GoldenSun_237.jpg

"Hey, who's in charge here? That's right, Detective Isaac. Just watch my back, officer."

GoldenSun_238.jpg

"This is a warrant authorizing us to search the area and take you in for questioning."

GoldenSun_239.jpg

"Garet, hold 'em down. I'm feeling some police brutality coming on."

GoldenSun_240.jpg

Yeah you try that.

GoldenSun_241.jpg

Simplicity.

GoldenSun_242.jpg

GoldenSun_243.jpg

GoldenSun_244.jpg

GoldenSun_247.jpg

GoldenSun_248.jpg

He's dusting for fingerprints... inside your head.

Garet2.gif: Are you done, Ivan?

We regroup to piece together the evidence.

GoldenSun_250.jpg

Ivan.gif: It's them, all right. I think they took a lot of other things, too. It looks like they're hiding it all somewhere in this inn... but they won't let me near them again.

GoldenSun_254.jpg

(Yes) But we've already looked this place over, top to bottom. Where could all that stuff be hidden?

Garet2.gif: Leave it to us! Isaac always comes through! I trust your sense of duty! Well, it's decided. Let's go, Ivan.

GoldenSun_261.jpg

Hey, what happened to that fellow standing by the ladder?

GoldenSun_262.jpg

We look around town, but can't find him. Maybe we should go investigate the roof? Turns out we can jump down that hole!

GoldenSun_263.jpg

We end up in this little room. There's a doorway blocked by a big ol' crate, so we Move it aside and keep going.

GoldenSun_268.jpg

Well that's odd.

GoldenSun_270.jpg

It's that fellow!

GoldenSun_272.jpg

Speaking of which, how does one access this loft when one doesn't have a hole in the roof? That's the only entrance.

GoldenSun_273.jpg

GoldenSun_276.jpg

GoldenSun_277.jpg

GoldenSun_278.jpg

Yeah, I thought lofts were mostly used for hipster parties.

Ivan.gif: Maybe all that stolen stuff is in these crates....

GoldenSun_280.jpg

Uh oh?

GoldenSun_281.jpg

I'd be concerned, but these guys are such clowns I'm pretty sure they can't hurt us.

GoldenSun_282.jpg

GoldenSun_283.jpg

In case you couldn't figure it out, Hammet is that chump we ran into with the ridiculous mustache.

GoldenSun_284.jpg

GoldenSun_285.jpg

Garet2.gif: What sort of place is Lunpa?

GoldenSun_287.jpg

GoldenSun_288.jpg

GoldenSun_289.jpg

Bandit: The man has no morals. I've heard he's truly vicious. See, we're not so bad.

GoldenSun_292.jpg

GoldenSun_293.jpg

GoldenSun_294.jpg

Bandit: You must be joking! We stole all this stuff fair and square! We'll just have to keep you quiet! And there's only one way to do that! Get 'em!!!

And here's our first boss battle! I said this was going to be a hybrid LP, and as such, here's the video I made of the battle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXpPQxucpfc

It's really easy.

GoldenSun_314.jpg

Yup.

GoldenSun_315.jpg

That's the guy we found tied up speaking.

GoldenSun_316.jpg

GoldenSun_317.jpg

Back to the bandits:

GoldenSun_318.jpg

GoldenSun_319.jpg

GoldenSun_320.jpg

Garet2.gif: Evil never prevails!

I swear, Garet, I'll choke on another platitude.

Ivan.gif: If you'll give me Master Hammet's rod, I'll head to Lunpa now. What will you two be doing, Isaac?

GoldenSun_324.jpg

GoldenSun_325.jpg

...and he's mind-reading us again.

GoldenSun_326.jpg

(Yes) Dude promised he wouldn't and it's a serious invasion of privacy.

GoldenSun_327.jpg

Sigh.

GoldenSun_328.jpg

GoldenSun_329.jpg

We're interrupted by Tied Up Guy returning with the Mayor and some other dude.

GoldenSun_330.jpg

GoldenSun_331.jpg

I can see this only as a subtle jab at RPGs that allow players to ransack people's houses for items without repercussion.

GoldenSun_332.jpg

He gets kicked for his insolence. If only Isaac could do that when Garet started getting uppity.

GoldenSun_333.jpg

I'm going to skip ahead a bit again. It gets really confusing with the no-portrait NPCs taking turns talking when you can't see their little sprites moving. It's also all completely unimportant. All you need to know is that the bandits get carted off to prison. Oh, and this:

GoldenSun_339.jpg

Let's move on.

GoldenSun_341.jpg

GoldenSun_343.jpg

The Mayor walks over to the chests.

GoldenSun_347.jpg

GoldenSun_348.jpg

GoldenSun_349.jpg

Okay then.

GoldenSun_350.jpg

It's a gold statue.

GoldenSun_352.jpg

GoldenSun_353.jpg

GoldenSun_354.jpg

GoldenSun_355.jpg

I don't know how we can know if you don't open the chest.

GoldenSun_356.jpg

GoldenSun_357.jpg

Ivan.gif: Oh, no... Dodonpa wouldn't miss an opportunity like that....

GoldenSun_359.jpg

Way to comfort the kid, mayor. He's like 14.

GoldenSun_360.jpg

Cheer him up somehow.

GoldenSun_361.jpg

Or not.

GoldenSun_362.jpg

GoldenSun_363.jpg

Mayor: Dodonpa knows that he can use Hammet to extort a ransom from Kalay. We can't do much until Dodonpa makes his move, but at least we know Hammet's safe... for now. Your name is Isaac, right? And you are...

Garet2.gif: It's Garet.

GoldenSun_370.jpg

GoldenSun_371.jpg

GoldenSun_373.jpg

Good. I figure we deserve some sort of reward.

GoldenSun_374.jpg

Doesn't matter. We've got business to attend to.

Garet2.gif: I wish I could cheer you up... You look so depressed....

GoldenSun_376.jpg

Ivan.gif: But I couldn't ask you two to help me.

Don't worry, I'm sure we'll get roped in to doing it sooner or later.

GoldenSun_379.jpg

Ivan.gif: That's right, I saw it in your minds. I had no idea that the volcano's eruption held such a secret!

GoldenSun_382.jpg

AKA Team Jerkface.

GoldenSun_384.jpg

(Yes)

GoldenSun_386.jpg

GoldenSun_388.jpg

Garet2.gif: Well, I guess we'd better get moving, too.

Exeunt all. One more check around the town....

GoldenSun_392.jpg

Guess we're not going to Kalay then. Let's go see the mayor and get our reward!

GoldenSun_397.jpg

GoldenSun_398.jpg

GoldenSun_399.jpg

Water of Life is a single use item that will revive a downed character. They're worth a good bit of money and I'm pretty sure there's a finite number in the game. They're always nice to have around, as a single downed character is a 25% drop in total effective actions. And if the downed character happens to be the only one capable of reviving downed characters....

GoldenSun_400.jpg

(Yes) I have no idea. Let's go with yes.

GoldenSun_401.jpg

GoldenSun_402.jpg

That's a terrible name for a town. Well, time to leave. I guess we might as well take care of this whole Hammet business. We'll head to Lunpa next.

GoldenSun_407.jpg

That's Lunpa. The cave there leads to a dead end, which we'll examine later.

GoldenSun_408.jpg

Hmm... it's locked down tight. Maybe a bribe will get us past the guards.

GoldenSun_409.jpg

(Yes) I believe I have a reservation under... George Washington?

GoldenSun_410.jpg

Curses. Foiled again.

GoldenSun_411.jpg

Oh look, it's a Nut. This looks like a job for Catch Beads!

GoldenSun_413.jpg

We got these Catch Beads at the end of the last chapter, a present from Isaac's mother. If I equip them....

GoldenSun_414.jpg

GoldenSun_416.jpg

I get a new Psynergy to use out of combat, Catch. There are lots of these items throughout the game: think of them like new items in a Zelda clone. They're integral to most dungeon puzzles, and really add the "adventure" element to the Adventure RPG title that is Golden Sun.

Let's Catch us a Nut!

GoldenSun_417.jpg

Yoink!

GoldenSun_419.jpg

Nuts heal 200 HP, by the way. That'll end this chapter. We can't follow Ivan into Lunpa, so we'll need to move on. We've got a long journey to the first Elemental Lighthouse. We'll head through the Goma Range to Bilibin.

• Options
    I always wondered what the elemental power you got for doing summons even did.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    SLyM wrote:
    I always wondered what the elemental power you got for doing summons even did.

i think it makes subsequent elemental attacks more powerful

after a while it goes back to normal

RxI0N.png
  • Options
    I'll try to get the next chapter up before the weekend. I'm hoping that there's enough posts that I don't have to put 3 chapters on the same page. As it is, this thread isn't anywhere close to safe for 56k; it's a good thing the file size for the pictures isn't that big.

• Options
    well you're doing a great job :^:

RxI0N.png
  • Options
    I like how we get a third character pretty quickly in this game.

I hate how it's Ivan.

• Options
    Ivan is the shit.

You take that back.

• Options
    Mind Read is great fun, but neither Ivan nor Sheba are particularly suited towards combat. I'd prefer getting a proper healer first, were it possible. At least in the Lost Age you start with Jenna, who has team healing psynergy by default.

• Options
    Healing is for people who can't kill everything to death before they take damage.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Chapter 5: Not Much Plot At All
    Welcome back to Let's Play Golden Sun. When we last left our heroes, Isaac and Garet had failed to access Lunpa to aid Ivan. Got a short chapter here because there's important decision stuff to be made at the end and I decided to leave it up to you all.

GoldenSun_408.jpg

Right. Lunpa. I know that Ivan wanted to rescue Hammet, but I say screw the brat, we've got important world-saving duties to take care of first.

GoldenSun_002.jpg

I head East towards our next destination: The Goma Mountains. There's a cave that wends through the mountains and gets us to a large town called Bilibin.

GoldenSun_003.jpg

En route, I do a bit of leveling because I don't want to feel like I'm falling behind. I don't learn any new Psynergy yet, though.

GoldenSun_004.jpg

Behold, the entrance to the Goma Caves. You can actually see the exit on the northeast side of the screen. This is basically like the Mt. Moon of Golden Sun: it's the first real dungeon (I don't count Viridian Forest) that's intended to be a wear on your party resources, basically the first minor hurdle for the party. It also includes some nifty (but simple) puzzles that introduce the player to the manner in which they'll need to think for the rest of the game's dungeons.

GoldenSun_005.jpg

But before we can enter the caves proper, we have to solve some elementary rock pillar puzzles.

GoldenSun_007.jpg

Oh, no. I'm stumped. Did they really think this puzzle would give anyone even a second of trouble?

GoldenSun_008.jpg

Pillar pushed to the right, climb the ladder.

GoldenSun_009.jpg

This would be a bit challenging if we hadn't already learned that we could pull things towards us with the Move Psynergy in Sol Sanctum... so....

GoldenSun_011.jpg

Yeah.

GoldenSun_013.jpg

Another one? Well, step aside, I'll just pull out the Move Psynergy again....

GoldenSun_014.jpg

Hmm....

GoldenSun_015.jpg

Huh.

Looks like I can't Move this one.

GoldenSun_021.jpg

Garet tells it like it is.

GoldenSun_022.jpg

GoldenSun_023.jpg

Ivan? What are you doing here? You're supposed to be helping the crazy dude with the mustache.

GoldenSun_024.jpg

GoldenSun_025.jpg

GoldenSun_027.jpg

Well, the obvious answer is to use some of Garet's Mars Psynergy to burn the plant, but since you've just showed up again, I'm sure you've got some Jupiter magic that will accomplish the same outcome without making nearly as much sense.

GoldenSun_029.jpg

GoldenSun_030.jpg

What kind of lame Psynergy are you about to-

GoldenSun_031.jpg

A tornado? Well I guess that's kinda cool.

GoldenSun_032.jpg

The rock is no longer ivyed.

GoldenSun_033.jpg

GoldenSun_034.jpg

Calm down, kid. Nobody likes a braggart.

GoldenSun_035.jpg

GoldenSun_036.jpg

Me neither, kid. One wonders how a small town can survive with their gates locked down like that. How much food and water can they have stocked there? I doubt they could last more than a few days without opening their doors to merchants and such; perhaps if you just stuck around, you could get in.

GoldenSun_038.jpg

That's good, because our aid isn't forthcoming. We've got important psychic duties to attend to.

Ivan.gif: Your quest has been on my mind ever since I left Vault. Remember? I read everything that happened in your minds. I couldn't just leave, not with all these terrible things happening. If I can't rescue Master Hammet, then I want to help you...

GoldenSun_043.jpg

Too bad. I don't need no SmartyPants McWindyGuy around. Garet's got my back too!

GoldenSun_044.jpg

Wait what?

GoldenSun_045.jpg

GoldenSun_046.jpg

Dangit.

GoldenSun_048.jpg

With the ivy cleared, we can easily Move the rock aside. That lets us jump over the gap.

GoldenSun_051.jpg

Another ivy situation.

GoldenSun_053.jpg

Fortunately, Ivan's Whirlwind Psynergy works on ivy that's grown over doorways too. As a matter of fact, that ivy is basically just a big ol' flashing indicator that it's time to have Ivan use Whirlwind.

GoldenSun_054.jpg

GoldenSun_055.jpg

The way clears, and we enter Goma Cave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q_ZssG3GOE

GoldenSun_056.jpg

We get a few steps in before we're assaulted by new enemies. These are Will Heads, and they're pretty worthless. They attack more slowly than Garet (whose Agility is abysmal) and they don't do a lot of damage. Unfortunately, they do take several hits to kill, which means that fights take a bit longer for a while until I've leveled up a bit.

GoldenSun_057.jpg

Say, let's try Ivan's Whirlwind on them.

GoldenSun_058.jpg

The image doesn't show how much damage it does, but it's a bit better than Isaac's attack Psynergy. Ivan, as the resident squishy wizard has very low HP and defenses. His melee attacks are also usually pretty terrible, but he has three things going for him:

1. He's fast. He'll pretty much always be the first character to attack, and it gets even more ridiculous when you stack Jupiter Djinn on him, which tend to boost Agility. This also makes him a decent item-user, for when you absolutely, positively, cannot let your ally get hit again.

2. His Psynergy is the most potent. He's the party's black mage and glass cannon. This will matter for surprisingly little as we approach the end game and have enough Djinn to use them essentially nonstop, but for quite a while, he'll be able to consistently deal a ton of damage to enemies with his attack Psynergy.

3. He has really good Luck. This manifests in his propensity for triggering weapon unleashes.

What's a weapon unleash, you ask? Well, rare weapons (weapons that can't be purchased more than once like Isaac's Long Sword and Garet's Battle Axe) have secondary attacks that can trigger in place of their normal attack. For example:

GoldenSun_059.jpg

This is the Bandit's Sword, that we picked up off of those Bandits last chapter. When a player attacks with it equipped, he'll occasionally use the move Rapid Smash, which is several swipes in a row. The character's Luck stat determines how often these unleashes trigger. Garet, for example, has terrible Luck, and Luck isn't boosted by gaining levels. Some Djinn will boost Luck, as well as some class changes. The only way to boost Luck by more than a point or two is with items. But we'll get to that later.

GoldenSun_060.jpg

Turns out Goma Cave is actually pretty well lit. I have no idea how this happens. Come to think of it, every cave is remarkably well-lit, even the ones that nobody's visited in centuries. So that's odd. Oh well.

GoldenSun_062.jpg

Another pillar! Must... push....

GoldenSun_063.jpg

Well isn't this quite the tableau. There's a random stranger here staring at some freaky creature on a cliff. I'm reminded of a parable.

GoldenSun_064.jpg

GoldenSun_065.jpg

That's kind of a hint. I'll explain in a bit.

GoldenSun_066.jpg

When Goma Cave throws old enemies at you, it throws them at you in droves.

GoldenSun_068.jpg

Fortunately, Ivan can pretty much one shot most of this stuff by now.

GoldenSun_072.jpg

A little bit later, we encounter a Skeleton. These are actually a legitimate threat, or the closest thing to one we'll be seeing here. They've got a decent chunk of HP and they do good damage, especially with the Bone Charge move. Fortunately, I'm able to dispatch this one before it causes me too much pain.

GoldenSun_074.jpg

And Ivan levels up in the process.

GoldenSun_075.jpg

We push this pillar to the right so that we can jump across and down.

GoldenSun_077.jpg

Then we move this pillar so that... uhh...

GoldenSun_078.jpg

It falls below.

GoldenSun_079.jpg

Then we move the pillar back to the left so that we can jump across and to the right...

GoldenSun_080.jpg

And pick up a rare Lucky Medal. The item description for the Lucky Medal says only "A special medal from Tolbi." I presume that we'll figure out what they do when we get to Tolbi. Until then, they'll be buried in the deep recesses of my item bags.

GoldenSun_081.jpg

As you can see, there's now a way to jump across. That's the pillar we knocked over upstairs that landed there. In retrospect, I probably should have taken a shot of this region beforehand so it would make a bit more sense. Boo.

GoldenSun_082.jpg

We jump over the new bridge and go up some stairs, and we end up back here, only this time, we can jump across that pillar we moved and talk to the creepy monster.

GoldenSun_083.jpg

Turns out it's a Mars Djinni, and it attacks us!

GoldenSun_084.jpg

Djinn you encounter in battle will typically run away after a couple of turns, so it's a good idea to go all out against them. If they do run away, you can leave the area and come back. Just as the man implied, the Djinni will return and you can re-engage.

GoldenSun_085.jpg

I use Flint and Ivan's powerful Psynergy to bring the battle to a rapid close.

GoldenSun_086.jpg

GoldenSun_087.jpg

I have no idea why this creature is carrying coins. Let's just not think about it.

GoldenSun_088.jpg

Yeah, suck it chump. This creepy bastard is all mine!

GoldenSun_089.jpg

There's an explosion of sparks.

GoldenSun_093.jpg

Forge actually kind of sucks. In actuality he's not that bad; his unleash boosts the party's Attack. The problem is that boosting Attack doesn't help much when you go all out, because only two members of your party will be doing substantial damage by attacking physically: Isaac and Garet. Only boss battles are going to be long enough to warrant using him. But that's sort of how it goes with all the Djinn who don't cause direct damage, and many of them are still very useful.

GoldenSun_094.jpg

GoldenSun_095.jpg

As this implies, not all Djinn look like this:

Venus.gif

In Golden Sun and The Lost Age, all Djinn of the same Element will look identical. In Dark Dawn, the DS game that came out last year, each and every Djinn has a unique appearance, although all Djinn of the same Element will look similar.

GoldenSun_096.jpg

Like I said, Forge boosts party attack. Not spectacular, but it does have its place, especially in the end of the sequel, where attack boosts to one character with one particular weapon provide epic amounts of damage.

GoldenSun_097.jpg

We head up the stairs once more, and we appear here, near the entrance to the cave. There's this pillar in the way of our progress, and most of our trip through the cave has been in order to find a way around. One wonders how the heck this pillar came to be in such a peculiar place, but since Team Jerkface likely came through this way, it's possible that they put it there to impede our progress.

GoldenSun_098.jpg

From this side though, it's no problem.

GoldenSun_099.jpg

Goma Cave is actually sort of nice in that it's fast to backtrack through once you've gone through once. With games that lack any sort of teleportation method, it's a pretty kind way of designing your dungeons.

GoldenSun_100.jpg

As we prepare to leave the cave, we run into this group. Those two hooded things are Ghosts, and they're reasonably painful in that they're spellcaster monsters. Kill 'em fast though, and they don't pose much of a threat.

GoldenSun_101.jpg

Naturally, I decide to show off Forge.

GoldenSun_103.jpg

That's about a 25% increase in attack for Isaac, which is pretty decent.

GoldenSun_104.jpg

One last look at Goma Caves before we leave.

GoldenSun_106.jpg

To our right is Bilibin. If that sounds like a dumb name for a city, obviously you need to acquaint yourself with the rulers. But that's neither here nor there.

GoldenSun_107.jpg

We run into these monsters before we enter. They're another step up (eh... maybe a step sideways) from the Goma Cave monsters. They tend to Defend themselves, which is just a pain in the butt and makes me want to punch things because it serves only to slow combat to a crawl.

GoldenSun_110.jpg

I summon Mars to soften them up.

GoldenSun_111.jpg

Isaac hits level 6 and learns Spire, a single-target attack Psynergy. It's pretty good, and it'll be useful for a while.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    (cont'd)
    GoldenSun_112.jpg

Welcome to Bilibin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO0lli9uJns

GoldenSun_113.jpg

Well that's creepy. I wonder if....

GoldenSun_115.jpg

We Mind Read it, and we can reasonably extrapolate that this used to be a person.

GoldenSun_116.jpg

(Yes) "Yeah, that thing used to be a person! That's messed up!"

GoldenSun_117.jpg

GoldenSun_118.jpg

Sacred tree? Oh, you pagans and your silly superstitions! Although... well... that guy is a tree....

Let's violate his brain like we did the whole village of Vault!

GoldenSun_119.jpg

GoldenSun_120.jpg

So it's the Lady McCoy's fault? Well I'm going to march straight up to her and insist that she stop turning people into trees.

GoldenSun_121.jpg

GoldenSun_122.jpg

Yeah, yeah, nobody cares. Got anything I can steal in here?

GoldenSun_123.jpg

Must... resist... urge to make dirty remarks....

Seriously though, these are great. They're items that will permanently increase a character's Defense stat. There's one of these for every stat, and although the boost is small, it's still nifty. The most powerful of these, however, is the Lucky Pepper. It boosts the always-low Luck stat. I'm never quite sure who to give these things to, because I typically waggle between boosting a weakling's terrible stat and pushing the extreme of another's best. For example, I could give this Hard Nut to Garet to make him even tougher, or to Ivan so that he won't be quite so squishy. If anyone has an opinion, feel free to tell me, otherwise I'll probably just give it to Isaac, since he's the most important character.

GoldenSun_124.jpg

Got an Herb too. Meh.

GoldenSun_126.jpg

This statue looks suspicious. Plus, it's surrounded by that little edging of small stones. That means we can probably move it.

GoldenSun_125.jpg

Yup.

GoldenSun_128.jpg

GoldenSun_129.jpg

Hmm... another statue.... and another of those creatures over there to the far right. Sadly, I can't Move this statue left or right, only down towards me. From this angle, that's not at all helpful.

GoldenSun_130.jpg

GoldenSun_131.jpg

This implies that the eruption of Mt Aleph was the cause of all the monsters we've been clubbing our way through since Vale. But Young Isaac and Young Garet fought monsters in Vale three years beforehand. So I'm not sure.

GoldenSun_132.jpg

Kolima, the place where the tree people are? I guess I needn't be concerned by them then.

GoldenSun_138.jpg

GoldenSun_139.jpg

Screw you, lady. People are turning into trees and all you can think about is how it's going to affect your bottom line!

GoldenSun_140.jpg

But the last guy only charged me 18 coins for three people! I know what's happening! This is that thing where inns get progressively more expensive for no reason whatsoever!

GoldenSun_136.jpg

Have you, you know, actually looked outside? Wait, what am I saying? He's an NPC! He's never moved from that spot!

GoldenSun_143.jpg

All the new weapons are way out of our price range. Instead, we buy some Leather Armor for Isaac and Garet, which is a decent upgrade.

GoldenSun_145.jpg

That door leads to Bilibin Sanctum.

GoldenSun_146.jpg

Turns out we can walk on this fence too!

GoldenSun_147.jpg

We go down and around...

GoldenSun_149.jpg

Then back up...

GoldenSun_150.jpg

Welp, it's Whirlwind time.

GoldenSun_151.jpg

GoldenSun_152.jpg

Down the ladder.

GoldenSun_153.jpg

And we're on this side! Now it's a simple matter of Moveing the statue down and jumping across.

GoldenSun_155.jpg

GoldenSun_157.jpg

This one decides to come along quietly.

GoldenSun_159.jpg

Now we've got one each of Venus, Mars, and Jupiter Djinn.

Let's go try Spire!

GoldenSun_160.jpg

GoldenSun_161.jpg

50 damage is pretty darn good, especially since it can be used every turn.

After that battle, Garet and Ivan both level up.

GoldenSun_162.jpg

GoldenSun_163.jpg

Garet learns Flare Wall, which we'll see next chapter.

GoldenSun_164.jpg

I'm going to end things here, because we're at a bit of a fork. We can decide to try and help the people of Kolima from the crazy tree curse, or we can head north to the first lighthouse. We have to do both, so it's just a matter of which we do first. Personally, I prefer going to the lighthouse first, but I'll defer to the audience's decision.

• Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    You summoned for me, Terrendos? How can I help?

• Options
    the lighthouse is a lot faster, but narratively i guess it makes a bit more sense to go to kolima first

also, ragnarok coming soon :D

RxI0N.png