As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Razer Blade?

TopiaTopia Registered User regular
http://www.razerzone.com/blade

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/08/razer-to-release-stylish-2800-gaming-laptop-complete-with-dynamic-buttons.ars

rzr_blade_v11_cmyk_wbg-4e56cab-intro-thumb-640xauto-24978.jpg

33boC.png

So this thing... It costs 2800 dollars... It doesn't have an optical drive, so god forbid you want to play games you bought via physical media previously, and if the game you want isn't on steam? Have fun! The graphics card is a fast middle class card which is very unimpressive for that price point.

I don't know what to think. I think this is a terrible product at a terrible price. It's barely a gaming laptop, the only thing it has is switchblade technology.

Thoughts, opinions?

Topia on

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    They're playing League of Legends on it, ha.

Is this an attempt to get the same crowd that went nuts for the macbook Air?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I don't get it either.
    I've seen some pretty decent and affordable 14" notebooks capable of mid level gaming here in mothergoosing Brazil. I don't know why I'd buy that thing.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    It was sure a lot more impressive when I last heard about it --which was before they announced a tentative cost.

Neat concept!

Just like every other concept that is totally overpriced!

Erik
  • Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I like how it boasts these specs and on-screen is League of Legends, which shows off none of them.

And there's not even an SSD for the price wtf. This thing is pure garbage.

"We've seen and played many gaming laptops, but they tend to be heavy bricks. Razer has created something truly portable, with design that's immediately striking. The price definitely makes this a luxury item, but it's been way too long since we've seen a gaming laptop show this level of style and design."

It's. A. Gaming. Laptop. We don't need it to fit in our pockets, or in our pants, or whatever.

I'm having way too much fun ripping this idea apart XD

Robes on
    "Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    Robes wrote:
    I like how it boasts these specs and on-screen is League of Legends, which shows off none of them.

And there's not even an SSD for the price wtf. This thing is pure garbage.

"We've seen and played many gaming laptops, but they tend to be heavy bricks. Razer has created something truly portable, with design that's immediately striking. The price definitely makes this a luxury item, but it's been way too long since we've seen a gaming laptop show this level of style and design."

It's. A. Gaming. Laptop. We don't need it to fit in our pockets, or in our pants, or whatever.

I'm having way too much fun ripping this idea apart XD

It looks like a black macbook with a different keyboard.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    You're paying for size.

Yes, you can go buy an alienware laptop that is probably much better

but it also weighs 20 goddamn pounds

This looks like a fun laptop, but ironically re: their ads, it's not very hard to get the beta copy of LoL for OS X which plays just fine on any Macbook Pro for similar or less cash.

• Options
    Also all of these stupid custom LED keyboard things always fail. It's a pain in the ass to go out of your way to program for a PC component that <1% of your audience uses. The fact that they even put it on their is obnoxious. It would have been quite a nice machine without it, and probably $200 cheaper.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    This would be really awesome if it was HALF as expensive. As of right now it's PSP-Go level pricing.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I'm going to play devil's advocate and say that it's a stunningly gorgeous piece of hardware, and that they're smart to muscle in to the high end PC manufacturer market. With HP pulling out of consumer hardware all together, and everyone else gutting each other for scraps at the low end, someone other than Apple needs to take advantage of the high end market, and the way to do it is the way Apple does: with a clean, beautiful, simple product line that does what it's made to perfectly with a minimum of fuss and superfluous garbage, and the Blade is laser-focused on being a badass, slim, lightweight gaming machine.

Now, granted, the price DOES need to come down to closer to 2 grand to really be competitive, but with Razer's industrial designers, and Intel's (reportedly) huge team of R&D folks working on it, I have no doubt that future iterations (if they remain committed to it) will bring everything together, including price, even better.

If only more hardware makers gave a shit about the machines they put into market.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying it doesn't have flaws, but it does give me hope for awesome future hardware from Razer and others.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    For half the price you can find laptops with quad core procs, non-castrated versions of the GT 555M (the GDDR3 version is actually superior to the GDDR5 version, which is just a slightly tarted up GT 540M), an SSD, all while maintaining a (sometimes smaller, it's true) 1080P screen. Sure, they'll be a bit chunkier, but seriously, this is a lot of money for a substandard machine, especially when you're marketing it to people who have a greater base of knowledge regarding PC components than most. Razer's brand recognition doesn't hide the machines numerous flaws. I mean, Apple can pull this crap, because of their customer base and brand recognition, but Razer should have had the sense not to draw attention to itself with this "PC Gaming is not dead" nonsense then toss PC gamers a polished turd while calling it a diamond.

Edit: minor incident, I'm actually coming from the opposite direction from you on this. I think Apple's (and now Razer's) focus on industrial design over things like value and genuinely solid components demonstrates the contempt they have for consumers. I don't think Razer gives a shit, I think if they did they'd be marketing this thing at a vastly lower price, and with significantly altered specifications, even if it meant they couldn't sell you a black Macbook with a sweet trackpad dealie (speaking of superfluous garbage...). Razer thinks that we don't know that they basically shoved an overclocked GT 540M into the machine, or that multiple other companies are selling great laptops with better feature sets for over a grand less. I think Razer thinks PC gamers are like Apple fanatics, that if it's from them, and it says it's for gaming, tons of people will buy it despite the fact that the margins on those things must be fucking huge. 2 grand still wouldn't be competitive. You'd need to drop the price another 200-300 dollars just to be in range of machines that still have better specs.

If Razer were actually selling a high-end laptop, I would be excited. Unfortunately, they're selling a decidedly anemic gaming laptop and pricing it like it was a high-end machine.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    KambingKambing Registered User regular
    Best thing about it is the touchpad is on the right-hand side of the keyboard (where the numpad would be on a traditional 17" laptop). I hope that more laptop makers steal that design. Sorry left-handed folk. =(

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    For what it's worth, I agree with you on most of those points, @Alecthar, especially the parts about the price just not being anywhere near right, yet.

That said, I do think that good industrial design is worth a lot more than many people give it credit for. I don't think charging for it shows contempt, but understanding that "design" isn't just pretty paint. It's the absolute basis of anything you interact with, and one of the most important facets for a machine you touch and look at every day. But, I do recognize that not everyone agrees with me there, PC gamers in particular. And I don't begrudge anyone that. I just wish people weren't so dismissive about paying for good design.

This thing is not perfect by any stretch, and it's not compelling at that price, period. But, I think the market tends to either kill or correct products like this. And I'm no Razer fanboy. I've owned plenty of their products, and some have been duds (the Nostromo, the Barracuda, ugh), but most of them are well built and have a lot of polish that many companies don't bother with. Yes, they're generally a bit overpriced, but the good ones are often damn good.

I don't think it'll ever be targeted towards people who like building their own computers. I'd never buy one. I built an awesome computer this month (thank you on that, in case I never said so in the other thread, @Alecthar), and I have a MacBook Pro as my main work machine. But there are plenty of people who would probably be open to getting into PC gaming if there was something like this on the market that was as ready-to-go out of the box, like a traditional gaming console.

All I'm saying is that there's a market for it. It may not be us, but it's no less a valid market. My brother, for instance, would never consider building a gaming machine, but he loves his Xbox. He might be more interested in PC gaming because of a well-designed, well-marketed machine like this, if it was at a much lower price point. I see what Razer and Intel are going for with this, and while v1 may not be a direct hit, I think they're on to an interesting idea. Imagine if Alienware had industrial designers that weren't pot-heads, and instead of getting all but killed by Dell, they were blown up into a powerful, well marketed brand. That's what this has potential for.

But, again, all of this is more about the potential, and future of a Switchblade family of machines. Maybe none of it pans out and they kill it all together. Who knows.

Okay, and you got me, the touchpad thing is kind of superfluous, but it looks good in a demo. That alone will probably sell a few of these things. I do like the placement a lot, though. Much better than under the keyboard. That's a change I could get behind.

minor incident on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    For what it's worth, I agree with you on most of those points, @Alecthar, especially the parts about the price just not being anywhere near right, yet.

That said, I do think that good industrial design is worth a lot more than many people give it credit for. I don't think charging for it shows contempt, but understanding that "design" isn't just pretty paint. It's the absolute basis of anything you interact with, and one of the most important facets for a machine you touch and look at every day. But, I do recognize that not everyone agrees with me there, PC gamers in particular. And I don't begrudge anyone that. I just wish people weren't so dismissive about paying for good design.

This thing is not perfect by any stretch, and it's not compelling at that price, period. But, I think the market tends to either kill or correct products like this. And I'm no Razer fanboy. I've owned plenty of their products, and some have been duds (the Nostromo, the Barracuda, ugh), but most of them are well built and have a lot of polish that many companies don't bother with. Yes, they're generally a bit overpriced, but the good ones are often damn good.

I don't think it'll ever be targeted towards people who like building their own computers. I'd never buy one. I built an awesome computer this month (thank you on that, in case I never said so in the other thread, @Alecthar), and I have a MacBook Pro as my main work machine. But there are plenty of people who would probably be open to getting into PC gaming if there was something like this on the market that was as ready-to-go out of the box, like a traditional gaming console.

All I'm saying is that there's a market for it. It may not be us, but it's no less a valid market. My brother, for instance, would never consider building a gaming machine, but he loves his Xbox. He might be more interested in PC gaming because of a well-designed, well-marketed machine like this, if it was at a much lower price point. I see what Razer and Intel are going for with this, and while v1 may not be a direct hit, I think they're on to an interesting idea. Imagine if Alienware had industrial designers that weren't pot-heads, and instead of getting all but killed by Dell, they were blown up into a powerful, well marketed brand. That's what this has potential for.

But, again, all of this is more about the potential, and future of a Switchblade family of machines. Maybe none of it pans out and they kill it all together. Who knows.

Okay, and you got me, the touchpad thing is kind of superfluous, but it looks good in a demo. That alone will probably sell a few of these things. I do like the placement a lot, though. Much better than under the keyboard. That's a change I could get behind.

And for what it's worth, I agree with you on many of yours.

For me, it's a matter of degree. If Razer had come out with this at 2 grand, it would still have been significantly overpriced in my opinion, but I would have understood. At nearly 3 grand, it feels to me like their marketing shouldn't have gone with "PC Gaming is not dead" but rather "We feel no need for our products to justify themselves through value or performance."

But I also think that you're totally right on the issue of industrial design. I don't mean to dismiss it entirely (I don't obsessively research cases, cable manage all over the place, and buy an all black motherboard because I don't care about aesthetics, that's for sure) but I think that the degree to which Razer has compensated poor value and poor specs with good aesthetics is ridiculous. Good design matters, but I wish they wouldn't try to use it to cover for naked greed. Still, I think that a reasonable price, a reasonable level of "bling" (I mean, LCD buttons and touchpad? Really?) and the right specs, combined with the solid looks (and hopefully commensurately solid build quality) would make this a winner. Here's the Blade I'd like to see:

• No LCD buttons: Just get rid of that fancy crap. Old fashioned macro buttons are fine here, and I imagine reduce the build price significantly. Give us a nice (multi-touch?) touchpad with good "mouse" buttons and I'll be satisfied there too. Also give us some assurance that a swapped layout is available for lefties.
    • Better Specs: At least the better GT 555M version, and a quad core SB proc if practicable. An SSD as well (120GB, I'm not greedy).
    • Reasonable Price: Come it at like $1800 (give or take) and we're really cooking. I'd pay some cash for solid industrial design.

A possible issue with it that I can foresee (besides price of course) is heat. With that form factor, I'm not sure it can match the specs of bulkier laptops without feeling like you're resting a furnace atop your genitals. If they can make it work, though, I don't see any reason why the Blade can't be a really nice laptop with some appeal to the masses, rather than just high end buyers with no clue about what components are inside.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    Mr HeistMr Heist It's Heist-o-Matic! Registered User regular
    Just to be clear, the little HUD screen is something that would have to be explicitly programmed into games, right? It's not just acting as a second screen or piggybacking on some previously existing tech, right?

I'd be more interested in seeing that tech take off (and actually get adopted, which I doubt this would by itself) not even from a game standpoint. I think apple was rumored to be putting a secondary screen under their trackpads a while ago.

mrheist-wide.png
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Mr Heist wrote:
    Just to be clear, the little HUD screen is something that would have to be explicitly programmed into games, right? It's not just acting as a second screen or piggybacking on some previously existing tech, right?

I'd be more interested in seeing that tech take off (and actually get adopted, which I doubt this would by itself) not even from a game standpoint. I think apple was rumored to be putting a secondary screen under their trackpads a while ago.
    It could to a point piggyback on the G19 software, but without tweaking it wouldn't have any touch functionality.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    You know, at least it does look much better than most gaming laptops I've seen (eg. alienware argh),

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    Mr Heist wrote:

It could to a point piggyback on the G19 software, but without tweaking it wouldn't have any touch functionality.

How would it piggyback unless they bought the driver wholesale from Logitech. Why would logitech sell them the driver if the technology was not exactly the same as to not cloud the market with competing keyboard extensions?

I thought the G19 was individual keys? This is a full panel LED or something right?

But to the original question, yes it has to be explicitly programmed into games.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Topia wrote:
    It doesn't have an optical drive, so god forbid you want to play games you bought via physical media previously, and if the game you want isn't on steam? Have fun!

I hear we've had stand-alone USB optical drives for a decade or so. I can't even remember the last time I had to use a CD/DVD.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Jasconius wrote:
    Mr Heist wrote:

How would it piggyback unless they bought the driver wholesale from Logitech. Why would logitech sell them the driver if the technology was not exactly the same as to not cloud the market with competing keyboard extensions?

I thought the G19 was individual keys? This is a full panel LED or something right?

But to the original question, yes it has to be explicitly programmed into games.

logitech_g19_lcd_gaming_keyboard_3.jpg
    The G19 has a mini LCD display on it, some games have extra programing in them to support and use that display to show off all sorts of things from inventories and menus, to maps and unit/character info. With some re-kajiggering (completely scientific term), you could possibly get the specific code to recognize the mini-LCD on the blade in the same way. The feature has already been designed for all those games, it's just a matter of getting it to work on something besides the G19.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    mutantmagnetmutantmagnet Registered User regular
    When it comes to laptops specs aren't everything. If you want specs you get a desktop.

Laptops are about size and power consumption. The Blade is too big. If they had went with a 14" screen this would've been competive as an ultra portable.

We don't know what the power consumption is; but for any laptop to be considered top tier in battery life time it has to last 6 hours doing the task is meant for.

Considering the average gaming laptop probably only lasts 2.5 hours gaming unlike the average laptop lasting 4 hours doing nongaming tasks I'll be more forgiving and say the Blade has to be able to achieve 5 hours minimum with illumination at lowest settings and wireless turned off to justify its premium.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    It will be interesting to see how this will compare to the next Macbook Pro refresh, which should be right around the corner.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    When it comes to laptops specs aren't everything. If you want specs you get a desktop.

Laptops are about size and power consumption. The Blade is too big. If they had went with a 14" screen this would've been competive as an ultra portable.

We don't know what the power consumption is; but for any laptop to be considered top tier in battery life time it has to last 6 hours doing the task is meant for.

Considering the average gaming laptop probably only lasts 2.5 hours gaming unlike the average laptop lasting 4 hours doing nongaming tasks I'll be more forgiving and say the Blade has to be able to achieve 5 hours minimum with illumination at lowest settings and wireless turned off to justify its premium.
    Yeah people who want a notebook for gaming would be better off with a 15" Macbook Pro. It's not as fast as this thing, but in 4 years it will still be practical for everyday use whereas Razer Blade will be on a trash heap. Too slow to run the latest games, too big and heavy to use as a portable workstation.

Also, you could buy a MacBook Air, an iPad, a Playstation 3, Xbox 360 and build a gaming PC for the price of one of these monstrosities.

Azio on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Wow that thing is pricey, I just got an HP for ~$550 (after some phenomenal discounts) A8 based notebook that plays what I want to play in high detail well (would be better with competent drivers), I couldn't imagine paying $2800 for a laptop, I'd rather just buy a new one in the $800-$900 range every year and a half

Edit: hahaha, my laptop has a faster GPU than that Razer, I find that hilarious as all hell. Slower memory, slower CPU, but outperforms it in video, how the hell does that work?

override367 on
  • Options
    Azio wrote:

Yeah people who want a notebook for gaming would be better off with a 15" Macbook Pro. It's not as fast as this thing, but in 4 years it will still be practical for everyday use whereas Razer Blade will be on a trash heap. Too slow to run the latest games, too big and heavy to use as a portable workstation.

Also, you could buy a MacBook Air, an iPad, a Playstation 3, Xbox 360 and build a gaming PC for the price of one of these monstrosities.

But none of those things would run League of Legends with the mini touchpad/LCD thing, man.

• Options
    Edit: hahaha, my laptop has a faster GPU than that Razer, I find that hilarious as all hell. Slower memory, slower CPU, but outperforms it in video, how the hell does that work?

Thats my issue. It doesn't have good anything in terms of gaming, hardware wise. It's a "gaming" laptop on the outside, and a good one in that regard. The right side trackpad, and the switchblade tech in it is cool and all (if it indeed works how it should). It's sleek, and small in terms of gaming laptops in general, though big in terms of non-gaming laptops nowadays. But inside it doesn't match up to any other realistically priced gaming laptop. And, when it comes to gaming, it's the insides that count.

Echo wrote:
    Topia wrote:
    It doesn't have an optical drive, so god forbid you want to play games you bought via physical media previously, and if the game you want isn't on steam? Have fun!

I hear we've had stand-alone USB optical drives for a decade or so. I can't even remember the last time I had to use a CD/DVD.

Oh, right, whats another $50 to spend on that, you already spent 3000. And, whoops, there goes the point of making it smaller than other gaming laptops, because now you also get to carry around a usb optical drive. Oh, and USB2.0 speeds can be pretty slow compared to that of disc drive speed.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I didn't know anyone even used optical drives anymore except to install an OS, and even then you can usually download an .iso and put it on a thumbdrive to install from.

I will say that even though this is totally over priced and I have a much better, much cheaper desktop already, I will say I am glad to see the LCD keys on the keyboard. Yes, I know nobody uses them and it drives the price up even higher, but I think they're cool as shit and would love to see something like that become cheaper and more mainstream.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Topia wrote:
    Oh, right, whats another $50 to spend on that, you already spent 3000. And, whoops, there goes the point of making it smaller than other gaming laptops, because now you also get to carry around a usb optical drive. Oh, and USB2.0 speeds can be pretty slow compared to that of disc drive speed.

Wait, what? Even factoring in USB overhead, USB 2.0 should have no problem carrying 30-40 (from a theoretical 60) MB/s. The absolute fastest blu-ray drives available only read/write at about 36 MB/s. DVD drives will be closer to half that. As drives get faster, hey, guess what? We have USB 3.0!

Also, I honestly can't remember the last time I used an optical drive on any computer I own. I download my games, music, and movies. I install my OSes from USB drives. Only a crazy person installs drivers from the disc. I pulled the optical drive out of my MacBook Pro and added a second SSD in its place because I hadn't used it once since buying it over a year prior. Even if you did need one occasionally, there'd be no need to "carry it around" with you.

I'm all for companies jumping on the bandwagon and forgoing optical drives if it gets these machines a little thinner and lighter, which it certainly did for the Blade.

Now, if they could just address the other issues...

minor incident on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    The thing with Industrial Design is that it can never be the only thing going for a product, if the product is actually GOOD. You need both guts a looks.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    I assume they've done market research and the like. This is likely a "flagship design", of which few will be made and they'll have more machines out at a sane pricepoint. I hope.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    Take this, remove the silly extra LCD, halve the price and I'd take it.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Topia wrote:

See, that's the thing: clearly this Blade isn't for you. It's for people who don't give a shit about optical drives. (And have 3000 bucks to burn.)

• Options
    krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    Why in the world did they put the macro buttons on the right side of the keyboard?

If you're going to game on notebook, 99% of of the time you're going to use a separate mouse. This means your right hand is already occupied (assuming most gamers use right-handed mice) and you'll be using your left hand for key inputs. Unless you mapped the typical WASD to some of those macro buttons (therefore reducing the number of remaining macro buttons), you're gonna have to move your left hand across the keyboard during a game. There's a reason why almost every gaming keyboard has the macro buttons located to the left side of the keyboard. It's also the same reason that standalone gameboards like the Belkin Nostromo and the Logitech G13 are left handed. Those LCD keys just seem like a huge gimmick with limited practicality for an actual fast paced multiplayer game.

Also, this is just a rant about the example image they used, but why the heck would someone put something as important as the LoL mini-map in the mini LCD. I guess if you have to take your eyes off the monitor to see which macro button your left hand is about to click, it might serve a purpose to show that you are gonna get ganked for taking your eyes off the monitor in the first place.

Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    I imagine since this product has already been "launched" we can expect a major price drop in the near future, since we can see from forum posts that everyone is pretty much laughing at the device given it's price. Until it drops down to $1,200, it doesn't seem like a feasible purchase.

The product does have an innovative feature on it, but I don't get it. I think you will die countless times because you were looking down and trying to navigate your movements on the touchscreen.

I just have a hard time figuring out who their target market is. We know better than to buy this device. So is the target market ignorant rich people who like cool touchpads that will get them killed in game?

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Someone SHOULD put out a sleek looking industrial design gaming laptop with decent specs and portability. Sure it would cost a bit but like many said if you delivered all of that in one package and charge at or a tad over 2k then people would still be all over it.

Ditch the mini LCD screen, but keep the glowing keys, I know lots of people who think those are cool looking on laptops.

edit: and I agree that the macro buttons should be on the left. If I'm doing some serious gaming on a laptop I'm using a bluetooth mouse already.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    mutantmagnetmutantmagnet Registered User regular
    Robes wrote:
    I just have a hard time figuring out who their target market is. We know better than to buy this device. So is the target market ignorant rich people who like cool touchpads that will get them killed in game?

The same market as the Alienware M18x, Asus G74SX , Sager 8170-S1 and other $2500+ lap tops. The market clearly exists but none of the other brands touted themselves as the messiah of gaming.

• Options
    Square PairSquare Pair Registered User regular
    I don't know - I'd have a hard ass time paying nearly 3Gs for a laptop. A tower gaming rig - no problem. I think my concern would be more on the cooling aspects as that's the issue I've had on every laptop I've owned. This is definitely a 'gaming' laptop as it's overkill for any office/web applications. Has anyone had a reliable gaming laptop that never had a heating issue - even with prolonged marathon sessions?

• Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    Sorry if its already been said, I only skimmed the thread so far.

But Razer is actually releasing a stand alone keyboard the same as on that laptop.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/08/star-wars-the-old-republic-scores-gaudy-promotional-peripherals/

• Options
    MarySueMarySue Registered User regular
    I think this is what I got my hands on at PAX, and it is a sexy machine. Much like the Apples, it feels good to the touch. However, the sexy feel only distracts from serious ergonomic issues for so long. It is not condusive to lengthy game sessions (like, more than 30 minutes).

But it is pretty.

Portland, Oregon, and sloe gin fizz. If that ain't love, then tell me what is.
    +++BRONYS BEFORE BROS!+++
  • Options
    KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    So I'm in the market for a lightweight gaming laptop and this one keeps coming up over and over in reviews. Does anyone actually have one? Or know of a superior alternative? It seems perfect except for price and only having 8G of RAM.

Edit: I mean the Razer Blade, not the Razer Blade Pro.

Kylindra on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    They want you to spend almost three grand on a laptop that can't even run Shadow Warrior maxed, doesn't have an SSD, has a puny 320 GB 7200 RPM drive, and only 8GB of RAM?

Are they fucking high? This laptop is absolute garbage and the only reason it should exist is so that anyone who buys one is put into a registry that involves a team of guys going door to door Jay and Silent Bob style to beat the shit out of everyone on the list for being retarded.
    Only if you're dealing with your average use laptop that does email and maybe solitaire. For a gaming grade laptop specs are absolutely important because you can't upgrade the MoBo, GPU, or CPU so what you buy has to last you a few years. As someone who has legitimate uses for gaming laptops due to my career I feel informed enough to say the Razer Blade is a giant piece of shit.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png