As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

>>--D&D Thread --> Crab Detective! Inquire within! OP Update..ish

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yorick Brown
    Yorick Brown (76)

Abilities (20):

Strength 1
    Agility 2
    Fighting -1
    Awareness 2
    Stamina 0
    Dexterity 3
    Intellect 2
    Presence 1

Defenses (14):

Dodge +6
    Parry +3
    Fortitude +4
    Toughness +0
    Will +4

Advantages (16):

Evasion
    Improved Initiative
    Beginner's Luck
    Luck
    Benefit (immunity to Y virus)
    Eidetic Memory
    Second Chance
    Sidekick 4
    Connected
    Improvised Tools
    Jack-of-all-trades
    Skill Mastery (sleight of hand)
    Well-Informed

Skills (26):

Acrobatics +6 (4)
    Deception +7 (6)
    Expertise (Popular Culture) +10 (8)
    Insight +6 (4)
    Perception +6 (4)
    Sleight of Hand +13 (10)
    Stealth +10 (8)
    Technology +10 (8)

He, like Alex, is quite a few points under. Obviously he'd be fully fleshed out for an actual game, this more represents what I could pull just from his standard appearance (all of this is prior to the events of the comic).

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i am the worst fucking accountant. my god, this game's math has defeated every logic i use and i don't understand it. i shomehow gave myself an extra 150 points, so but removing it and fixing the mistake i got an extra 50? i don't even know.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Magic

as it stands, i have 8 points left, and about 100 rep i need to move around. and then i'm done with this character.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    also seriously. I did a logic error did 1000-(700-75) instead of (1000-700)-75, so i had 375 points to play around. So i fixed it to 225, and to cover it removed 150 points worth of stat bumps.

And then i had 50 more points. I don't even know, unless i was doing a critical math error before, there is no explaining it.

• MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    I'm still way, way too at PAX to do any character making. I'm a fair hand with excel docs so I don't think it'll take me too long to do.

Also, finding so many awesome games here, I might have to toss some clothes to make room in my pack for the trip home. They have the Mouseguard RPG. Yessss.

edited August 2011
    Right I want a player list

So far I have:
    -Pharazeon or however you spell his silly name
    -Melding
    -Huntera?
    -Gatsby?

If you are playing say so. If you are not, say so. Skype text chat is probably how we will be doing this btw, since it is the best way of doing online rp in my experience. However, if times zones get horribly in the way, I may change this to a proboard or something.

Solar on
    Hey solar, honest question, i got a second morph on hold for rp reasons (original body, and she's pick and blah blah blah) is it worth keeping or is it best left as fluff and ignored entirely?

alright i apologize that this is mess, but.

ohowls.jpg

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    skype... text... chat?

O_o

fuck gendered marketing
  • GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    You can use Skype like an instant messager now.

Gatsby wrote:
    You can use Skype like an instant messager now.

Why would you do this? There are so many better ways to send text in real time over the interwebs

fuck gendered marketing
    Well it's free, reliable, and has the ability to do conference calls as well as video stuff whenever you want.

Seems perfectly reasonable.

It's reliable now too?

Crazy

fuck gendered marketing
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I'm still way, way too at PAX to do any character making. I'm a fair hand with excel docs so I don't think it'll take me too long to do.

Also, finding so many awesome games here, I might have to toss some clothes to make room in my pack for the trip home. They have the Mouseguard RPG. Yessss.

oh man. are you getting it? I want to try it so bad.

Melding wrote:
    Hey solar, honest question, i got a second morph on hold for rp reasons (original body, and she's pick and blah blah blah) is it worth keeping or is it best left as fluff and ignored entirely?

If you ever want to actually use it in game, then you'll need to buy it

If you don't then you don't have to, you could say it is broken or whatever and therefore unusable.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    This stat block is probably suitable for most private investigators (with some tweaking), it's just listed as Tom Welles because, well, Nic Cage.
    Tom Welles (92)

Abilities (28):

Strength 1
    Agility 2
    Fighting 2
    Awareness 3
    Stamina 2
    Dexterity 2
    Intellect 1
    Presence 1

Defenses (5):

Dodge +4
    Parry +3
    Fortitude +4
    Toughness +2
    Will +3

Advantages (21):

Chokehold
    Defensive Attack
    Fast Grab
    Improved Aim
    Improved Defense
    Improved Disarm
    Improved Hold
    Improved Trip
    Quick Draw
    Uncanny Dodge
    Weapon Bind
    Beginner's Luck
    Assessment
    Eidetic Memory
    Equipment 3
    Extraordinary Effort
    Connected
    Contacts
    Improvised Tools

Skills (38):

Acrobatics +2 (0)
    Athletics +7 (6)
    Close Combat (unarmed) +6 (4)
    Deception +7 (6)
    Expertise (Streetwise) +3 (2)
    Insight +9 (6)
    Intimidation +5 (4)
    Investigation +13 (12)
    Perception +11 (8)
    Persuasion +7 (6)
    Ranged combat (Pistols) +8 (6)
    Sleight of Hand +4 (2)
    Stealth +8 (6)
    Technology +5 (4)
    Treatment +3 (2)
    Vehicles +4 (2)

Equipment (15):

Camera
    Audio Recorder
    Cell Phone
    Binoculars
    Handcuffs
    Flashlight
    Multitool
    Light Pistol

Urge to make a Tiefling Runepriest who formerly worked as a clockmaker and hour glass craftsman...rising...

This one is done more from memory than the others, probably, so I'm not sure how accurate it is.

Buster "Rant" Casey
    Buster "Rant" Casey (105)

Abilities (46):

Strength 3
    Agility 3
    Fighting 3
    Awareness 4
    Stamina 3
    Dexterity 4
    Intellect 1
    Presence 3

Defenses (0):

Dodge +3
    Parry +3
    Fortitude +3
    Toughness +3
    Will +4

Advantages (9:

All-out Attack
    chokehold
    Fast Grab
    Improved Grab
    Improved Hold
    Takedown
    Diehard
    Fearless
    Tracking

Skills (28):

Acrobatics +3 (0)
    Athletics +3 (0)
    Close Combat (unarmed) +8 (5)
    Deception +10 (7)
    Expertise (Streetwise) +5 (4)
    Expertise (toxicology) +7 (6)
    Insight +3 (0)
    Intimidation +7 (4)
    Investigation +1 (0)
    Perception +12 (8)
    Persuasion +7 (4)
    Ranged combat +4 (0)
    Sleight of Hand +4 (0)
    Stealth +7 (4)
    Technology +3 (2)
    Treatment +7 (6)
    Vehicles +16 (12)

Powers (22):

Affliction 6- Rabies (Fortitude; Fatigued, Compelled, Controlled), Progressive (18)
    Immortality 1 (2)
    Immunity 2- Poison and Disease (2)

Mostly I just want to see what playing a character who inflicts rabies on his enemies is like.

• ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    do you think Dr. Grant would make a good character?

can't think of any useful skills he would have

Muldoon could work, though

They are both pretty great characters.

Last time I tried to run this I believe someone was going to play Muldoon.

The only downside of playing one of them is it means I am significantly less likely to use my Jurassic Park adventure on y'all.

Also technically Muldoon is supposed to be dead but whatever we can get around that.

I've personally been focusing on a lot of more combat focused characters, but scientists are pretty great in this system.

You give them a bunch of expertise skills, a high intellect, and then you get neat advantages like Inventor, which allows them to create disposable gadgets on the fly and such.

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    surprised nobody's brought up macgyver yet

0BnD8l3.gif
    Best Jurassic Park related choice is from the sequel though.

Roland Tembo.

Or, if you want to do one better, play as Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner.

• MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    @Solar I wouldn't mind playing Eclipse Phase, given you are okay with that and I'm not stepping on the toes of someone who would be far more ecstatic to participate.

Got skype, and I'm PST (or Arizona MTN, but this time of year they are the same) and I'm available quite reliably on most afternoons and evenings.

Edit: Also, at PAX at the moment so I probably won't have a character or time to chat longer than 15 minutes until Tuesday. Maybe Monday.

@MrMonroe Yes, and yes. There were a few PbP games in CF when it was first released but they died off crazy quick. Burning Wheel is a seriously weird system but they simplified it nicely for the Mouse Guard thing and Mouse Guard.

Marshmallow on
    Solar wrote: »
    Melding wrote:

If you ever want to actually use it in game, then you'll need to buy it

If you don't then you don't have to, you could say it is broken or whatever and therefore unusable.

It was more a question of "Will this ever come up" then "Do i need to do this?"

i'm not sure how often combat will come up and i need to reread the fluff to see how involved resleeving is and what not.

• DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    @Solar I'm also interested, if the times work out. Character is here. I've got it all worked out except for 200 CP.

Is Melding correct in saying you buy morphs solely with CP before the game begins?

edited August 2011
    DE?AD wrote: »
    @Solar I'm also interested, if the times work out. Character is here. I've got it all worked out except for 200 CP.

Is Melding correct in saying you buy morphs solely with CP before the game begins?

third printing of the book, right under purchase gear, second paragraph.

they added it in during the second or third printing, i have two copies one doesn't new one does.

Grabbing page number.

Alright third or fourth, second new one on the side of the page it is on.

pg 137

The one exception to buying gear with Credit is
    the purchase of additional morphs. Characters may
    buy extra morphs during character creation, but they
    must be bought with CP. The player must choose
    one morph in which the character is sleeved. Extra
    morphs also require body bank service fees (p. 331).

Melding on
  • DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    Melding wrote:
    DE?AD wrote: »

third printing of the book, right under purchase gear, second paragraph.

they added it in during the second or third printing, i have two copies one doesn't new one does.

Grabbing page number.

Ah, cool.

I figured you were right, but the bit on buying morph under the actual morph section is super nebulous, so I wanted to make sure the GM had the same ruling.

That lays it out pretty plainly, though.

Thanks!

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    I thought conference calls with skype were only free for a week. they are on my end. o_O

no problem. i found it confusing. doesn't mention it in the rrata notes that i'm aware of, but there it is. they changed quite a few things. new armour mods, messed around with weapons some, all around pretty good. now the reaper can have 32/32 armour. which makes me want to play a dude who has a reaper. do some, reaping.

• ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    ok I want to be either Dr. Grant or Mad Sweeney

probably Dr. Grant

Looks like a good character DE?AD

Gimme some background

Actually that goes for everyone. Stats on the page aren't as important as character history, opinions etc.

It's been a while since I've seen the movie

You'll have to pardon me, this is pretty rusty
    Dr. Grant (82)

Abilities (28):

Strength 1
    Agility 1
    Fighting 0
    Awareness 3
    Stamina 2
    Dexterity 1
    Intellect 5
    Presence 1

Defenses (8):

Dodge +5
    Parry +0
    Fortitude +2
    Toughness +4
    Will +5

Advantages (10):

Improvised Weapon
    Assessment
    Eidetic Memory
    Equipment 4
    Connected
    Favored Foe (dinosaurs)
    Improvised Tools
    Inventor
    Skill Mastery (Expertise)
    Tracking

Skills (34):

Acrobatics +1 (0)
    Athletics +5 (4)
    Close Combat (unarmed) +2 (2)
    Deception +1 (0)
    Expertise (Science) +17 (12)
    Expertise (History) +9 (4)
    Expertise (Medicine) +7 (2)
    Insight +7 (4)
    Intimidation +1 (0)
    Investigation +9 (4)
    Perception +13 (10)
    Persuasion +5 (4)
    Ranged combat (rifles) +5 (4)
    Sleight of Hand +1 (0)
    Stealth +3 (2)
    Technology +13 (8)
    Treatment +9 (4)
    Vehicles +5 (4)

Equipment (17/20):

Camera
    Cell Phone
    Computer
    Binoculars
    Flashlight
    Multitool
    Tranquilizer Rifle (11, Affliction 5)

Still a boatload of points left.

Actually that goes for everyone. Stats on the page aren't as important as character history, opinions etc.

I'm still working on the deets, but i'm thinking young girl, was maybe 8 or so when the fall happened. wasn't on earth so she was emotionally detached about that at the time it didn't even bother her. pampered growing up thanks to a rich dad, didn't even know a world outside of her existed until she went to college. This is more or less her rebelling against the "man" except, she's not sure which man to hate. Sure big business, but that's where her money is from, government maybe? Ah who cares, one cause is as good as any other. She started augmenting her original morph (slyph) realized a bit too into it that it would be cheaper int he long run to just purchase a new one. So she got herself a custom made fury (thanks daddy!) which is basically her exact clone with a few changes here and there. Now by and large she is doing small time hired gun work looking for a cause to attach herself to. hah, there we go, motivations, Hedonism, individuality, purpose.

Antimatter wrote:
    I thought conference calls withs, but skype were only free for a week. they are on my end. o_O

Well, you have to pay to use video in conference calls, but otherwise you can still have more than two people chatting with just audio.

• HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular

My guy was a cop living on earth with his family, and helped evacuate people when the fall came, in the process of this he lost track of his family and ended up dying on Earth. His ego was put on dead storage for about a year, where he was taken out and put into a slitheroid on Luna. Not remembering much about his past before being awoke besides that he had a family and was a police officer, he became a Private Investigator to find information about his family as much as to pay the bills.

My character was originally from a Scum background, living the nomadic life aboard the flotilla. However his nephew, whom he took care of due to neglectful parents, developed quite the gambling problem. Over a short period of time as his nephew traveled, his earnings faded away and began to be replaced by crippling debt. Inadvertently almost every single venture the young man had attempted to profit of was owned by the Nine Lives organisation. Tracking them down the crime group offered a simple ultimatum: Let them punish the boy as an example or have one of his parents work off what he owes. Realising he had no choice, with the mother and father who knows where, and his duty to protect his nephew, my character simply offered himself and whatever talents he has to the group.

Five later, having being forced into a neo-avian morph as part of his servitude, he now wishes to break free of this life and do what he should have done once he finds his now-lost nephew: Run.

This discussion has been closed.