As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

In the not too distant future, next sunday A.D.

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I never stop laughing

I have joker disease

the only cure is to clown prince some crimes

or watching me try to be funny

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote:
    I never stop laughing

I have joker disease

the only cure is to clown prince some crimes

or watching me try to be funny

look I want to cure a disease, not overdose

7656367.jpg
  • FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    If you guys haven't seen rifftrax yet do it it's sooo good

I took a week and watched all the Harry potter movies in order it was fucking great

sig2.jpg
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I've got the DVD which has First Spaceship on Venus, Laserblast, Werewolf and Future War, I've been considering re-watching them recently. Good stuff.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I have the rifftrax for High School Musical, and Eeragon. Halfway through Twilight with my girlfriend. I think after this I'm going to watch some good movies with Rifftrax.

• thedude_frombaywatchthedude_frombaywatch Registered User regular
    Being very honest. This is the first time I've sat down and watched this. But i've always heard much goodness though

xbl tag: Dynamis King
    MineCraft: Menetherin
    Steam: Vloeza_SE++

• thedude_frombaywatchthedude_frombaywatch Registered User regular
    Now I just have to have it all

xbl tag: Dynamis King
    MineCraft: Menetherin
    Steam: Vloeza_SE++

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Uh MST3K used some pretty fucking dense cultural references from time to time

Also now I want to go watch an episode but I don't know which one to choose since every one is on Youtube

Also I'm gonna go ahead and get it started now

Mike was better than Joel

Joel was great!
    But Mike was better

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Man I liked MST3k but I couldn't even tell which one was Mike and which one was Joel.

I remember one of them being different and being a little confused.

But that is all I remember.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • LupintheThirdLupintheThird Registered User regular
    Thanks for starting this thread, TSR. MST3K took up a great deal of my time and attention as a teenager. I even started filming an MST3K episode of my own with some friends and built a crappy paperboard Crow. Eventually I cut back my ambition and started a comic book, in lieu of MST's comic being cancelled. I still have the scans somewhere on the interwebs.... I used an issue of DC's "The Creeper" series for the MiSTing, and drew the host segment myself, although I ended up finishing neither of them.

Anyway, love the show, have most of the DVD sets. Saw someone at Fandemonium with a replica Servo and even got to operate it briefly, singing a bit of the Canada Song, which I opted not to finish in case any Canadian visitors were nearby.

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Artreus wrote:
    Man I liked MST3k but I couldn't even tell which one was Mike and which one was Joel.

I remember one of them being different and being a little confused.

But that is all I remember.

Joel is the one who looked sleepy/high all the time

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    Mike is clearly superior.

Joel is cool, too, though.

sig2.jpg
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    Now I just have to have it all
    Yes, you do.

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    I started watching with Joel.

The first episode I saw was Godzilla vs Megalon and never missed an episode after that.

So, while Mike is just as good, I can never say he is better than Joel or vice versa

I love them both for different reasons

Joel was like the soft spoken father figure who was all teaching you how to properly love a shit movie and riff on it and Mike was like your buddy who you'd drink some beers with and watch a shit movie with.

7656367.jpg
    Grey Ghost wrote:
    Uh MST3K used some pretty fucking dense cultural references from time to time

Yeah, no show can be completely insular from pop culture references. The point is they went out of their way to avoid them. Thats why episodes from 1992 are just as fresh and watchable in 2011.

• BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I started watching with Joel.

The first episode I saw was Godzilla vs Megalon and never missed an episode after that.

So, while Mike is just as good, I can never say he is better than Joel or vice versa

I love them both for different reasons

Joel was like the soft spoken father figure who was all teaching you how to properly love a shit movie and riff on it and Mike was like your buddy who you'd drink some beers with and watch a shit movie with.

That is what I miss
    The genuine affection for something that is essentially unlovable and forgotten
    That's why I can't get into Rifftrax

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
    BusterK wrote:
    That is what I miss
    The genuine affection for something that is essentially unlovable and forgotten
    That's why I can't get into Rifftrax

Yeah, MST3K had relatable, interesting characters. RiffTrax is really kind of a mass-produced knock-off: just three guys ripping on a movie.

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I saw Rifftrax Live doing Jack the Giant Killer a little over a week ago. It was goddamned hilarious from start to finish. Seriously, I hadn't laughed that hard at anything in ages.

I've also got all three matrix movies and their corresponding rifftraxes and they are also amazing.

I have yet to see Cinematic Titanic, but I've been meaning to fix that.

Edit: Also, I prefer Mike to Joel but that's largely because I didn't discover MST3k until after SciFi picked it up.

TheySlashThem on
    I'm a Joel fan, myself. I didn't become a fan until the Mike era, but I discovered it through the "MST Hour" syndicated run on a local station. All the MST Hour episodes were Joel-hosted. My first exposure to Mike was the Movie, which threw me a bit, but thankfully, Rhino had released Mitchell on VHS, so I was able to see that important transition.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    still haven't seen a single episode

• DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    Yeah, MST3K had relatable, interesting characters. RiffTrax is really kind of a mass-produced knock-off: just three guys ripping on a movie.

I'd say that's going a bit far. I mean, Rifftrax is, basically, as much the successor to MST3K that Cinematic Titanic is - it's just the other half of the crew doing it.

Personally, I love that Rifftrax doesn't have the host segments as, with a few notable successions, I never really found the host segments terribly funny. I watched it for them cracking wise about not-great movies.

Granted, I'm also a Mike dude, so I'm gonna be a bit biased toward Rifftrax.

• pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    at my college movie store, i'm almost certain i would top the list for rentals of the VHS copies of Fletch and the MST3K Gunslinger; i still feel a little regret that i didn't buy the former when they phased out all the VHS -- i actually repaired the damn thing a couple times. Gunslinger isn't even my favorite, it was just one of the few MST3K they had, and any MST3K is better than none. we actually watched Mitchell (again a la MST3K) in one of my film courses, which helps explain why that professor was my favorite. good times, good times.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I like Rifftrax because its just the guys. Also I am a Mike dude

edited August 2011
    DE?AD wrote:
    I'd say that's going a bit far. I mean, Rifftrax is, basically, as much the successor to MST3K that Cinematic Titanic is - it's just the other half of the crew doing it.

I've been trying to dig up my interview with Mary Jo Pehl on this subject (I conducted it when CT was first announced) but the site I did it for is no longer around, and I dunno where the actual interview is.

But anyways, to clarify this - MST3K was much more than just the people riffing the movies. True, the people performing the riffs are basically the two sides of the cast (Joel, Josh Weinstein (aka the original tom servo), and Trace Beulieu (aka the original crow) with CT, Mike Nelson, Kevin Murphy (aka Tom Servo 2) and Bill Corbet (aka Crow 2) with Rifftrax), the actual writing staff was much bigger.

MST3K was written by a staff of about 25 people, who would watch the movies almost a hundred times before their script was done. Cast members which seemed to only be superfluous, like Mary Jo Pehl and TV's Frank, were actually writers on the show, and contributed heavily.

Rifftrax is currently written by who ever is riffing the product they're viewing. So if Mike, Bill, and Kevin are riffing a movie, that movie's script was written by Mike, Bill, and Kevin alone, no one else. On rare occasions they'll have their forums contribute, and those rifftrax episodes are usually among the best, but for the most part, it's written by those 3 guys (or Lowtax or whatever other guests they have).

By comparison, CT is written by a staff of about 22, made up entirely of the MST3K writing staff. There are 6 riffers (all of which riffed in MST3K at one point or another) but there are a lot of people behind the scenes, who were also behind the scenes at MST3K, which makes their scripts, IMO, a lot funnier.

EDIT: Also to clarify, Mike has been with MST3K since the early days, since at least season 3. He was a writer for the show before becoming host. It's conceivable that a lot of the stuff joel said was also written by mike.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Mike > joel.

xmassig2.gif
    I can't imagine watching any of those movies 100 times in their raw form

edited August 2011
    Grey Ghost wrote:
    I can't imagine watching any of those movies 100 times in their raw form

If you can find it, watch the documentary "This is MST3K"

it's awesome, and takes you through the production of an average episode. By the time they film, the entire crew absolutely hates the films they do because they have to watch it over, and over, and over, and over, and over again.

EDIT: Ah, here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH7dxROgpK4

TheSonicRetard on
    Actually, I'm rewatching "This is MST3K' and this might not be the right documentary. There is one they made covering the taping of an episode from the final season on Sci Fi and that might be the one where they show the writing process.

• Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    rowsdower

mkc.png
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    I love TV's Frank

0BnD8l3.gif
  • MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    Push the button, Frank.

• MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-Gi-QVudhA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHMPR7kXJak

Also "aaaaah! I'm falling at a 45 degree angle defy all laws of physics!"

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    I worked my way through episodes by going here
    Most of the ratings I agree with and it is a pretty good index of MST3K as well as the recent stuff I suppose
    Burned myself out about halfway through the series but still love it and try to find random episodes I haven't watched yet

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I had to work on it for a loooong time, but I believe that I now have every episode of MST3k.

I just wish I could rewatch entire Turkey Day Marathons. This is definitely my favourite TV show. It never stops being funny.

I like Mike better than Joel but I enjoy them both.

The only thing I don't enjoy is hamdingers.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    I don't enjoy arch hall jr.

edited August 2011
    BUT I LOVE THE GREAT TASTE OF WASSAIL...IN CANS

natek on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    God I loved this show

I still love this show

I really need to get my hands on that Gamera box set bad

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET