As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fan Expo?

CJGCJG Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Graphic Violence
So, did anyone else go to Fan Expo in Toronto this weekend?

I was there mostly for my wife to get some celebrity autographs and for me to peruse the Artist Alley. I didn't think to look ahead at the list of comic attendees (http://www.fanexpocanada.com/genre/home/view/comicbook) While walking around, I was amazed at the names that I recognized. Matt Fraction was there, and I recognized him from a picture in a comic before I had to double take on the name. And of course, drew a complete blank on questions I wanted to ask until I got home.

On a related note, I have a question about art by third parties containing characters from comics, etc. There were lots of different artists doing Superman, Batman, Joker, Iron Man, Captain America, etc. and I'm pretty sure some of them had never worked for the comic companies in the past. I thought these were copyrighted characters and would be off-limits for third parties to draw and sell prints of. Am I incorrect, or do Marvel, DC, et al. just turn a blind eye to things like that?

CJG on

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    It's a blind eye thing. The only time the industry has a real problem with it is when people lie about the work they've done, like Rob Granito.

• Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    Yeah, I went. Surprisingly the most casual guy there was Brian Azzarello.

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    I went to a panel for Flashpoint at FanExpo that Azzarello was on. Dude had a plain out "I don't give a damn" attitude. My friend Alex Perkins was trying to sell his art at the Koyama booth so I hung out with him for a bit on Saturday. It was my first time at FanExpo. I've been to SDCC five or six times. FanExpo definitely isn't on the same scale. Not sure what I was expecting but I found FanExpo pretty disorganized and confusing in general. I think I'm going to try NYCC next year instead.