As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

>>--D&D Thread --> Crab Detective! Inquire within! OP Update..ish

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Cool background from you guys, I am liking what I am seeing

I have a campaign idea and I am going to start sorting things out now that I know I have three players at least

What I am going to do is try and get a final list of players and then use the new pm setup to organise stuff for actual play, so keep an eye on your inboxes.

Solar on
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    You know who would be great in any party?

Wallace Wells.

He'd be tricky to stat out, I suppose, since his central property is near-total immunity to consequences for his actions.

When it rains, he doesn't get wet. He can walk in the middle of a fight to the death, insult everyone involved, and walk right out.

His only weakness is a mooching roommate.

• Crotchless Gorilla SuitCrotchless Gorilla Suit Registered User regular
    Hi DnD thread.

I'm planning on running a game of 4e, and I'm looking for players from this thread. I'm going to be using Maptools and Ventrillo if possible, if not we can always use something else (Skype, Maptools text chat etc.) It's my first time as a DM, so I would like to get players that don't have too much experience so that we can learn together, and who won't be too turned off by my fumbling of game elements (I'll try to keep this to a minimum, of course.) It will probably be just one night a week, starting maybe next week, or the week after, depending on how fast dudes can roll up some characters.

I have one forumer, WAH, who is interested and need 3-4 more people. PM me, or just post if interested.

• Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    what's the setting?

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Hi DnD thread.

I'm planning on running a game of 4e, and I'm looking for players from this thread. I'm going to be using Maptools and Ventrillo if possible, if not we can always use something else (Skype, Maptools text chat etc.) It's my first time as a DM, so I would like to get players that don't have too much experience so that we can learn together, and who won't be too turned off by my fumbling of game elements (I'll try to keep this to a minimum, of course.) It will probably be just one night a week, starting maybe next week, or the week after, depending on how fast dudes can roll up some characters.

I have one forumer, WAH, who is interested and need 3-4 more people. PM me, or just post if interested.

ME ME ME ME ME ME ME

what's the setting?

Kind of an original setting, I guess. Maybe a bit of Discworld thrown in.
    Gatsby wrote:

ME ME ME ME ME ME ME

OK!

what's the setting?

Kind of an original setting, I guess. Maybe a bit of Discworld thrown in.

Sir, you are speaking a language that is all too wonderful.

Have you read The Colour of Magic? If so, I may need to change the story a bit...

Actually no, I've mostly read the Death novels so far.

Excellent.

Like I said, it's just 4e, so go ahead and roll up whatever you want, and get maptools if you don't have it already.

Got it all and a veritable cornucopia of characters. Anything you're looking for in particular in terms of characters?

edited August 2011
    Not yet. I'm trying to talk WAH into playing a Minotaur Bard, because that is hilarious, but he is reluctant for obvious reasons.

Also, where do you live? We're on the west coast of North America. Hoping time-zones won't be a problem.

Crotchless Gorilla Suit on
    Argh that unfortunately might be, unless we do weekends, because I live in Australia. For example, right now it's 11am here.

Weekends could work too, actually, as long as you have an afternoon free.

Yeah that definitely shouldn't be a problem.

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    if you want someone who knows the rules, but is kind of dumb, let me know. I can do that. and i like helping.

• DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    Solar wrote:
    Looks like a good character DE?AD

Gimme some background

I've only got a rough idea at the moment, but the concept is an AGI who grew up in a Scum fleet, serving as a sort of bartender/MC for a Simulspace nightclub specializing in custom-tailored virtual scenarios. Somewhere between a holodeck and one of those murder-mystery restaurants. After years of this, he decided that he'd seen everything the fleet had to offer, and determined that it was time for him to set off and see what was to see in the universe. Cashed out, bought a bunch of drones (as he was used to working as a team) and got off at the next stop the fleet made.

Melding wrote:
    if you want someone who knows the rules, but is kind of dumb, let me know. I can do that. and i like helping.

If you'd like to play, sure. It would probably be good to have someone with more experience, I'm just self-conscious because I've never DMed.

In truth, I haven't actually played before either, just hours of listening to the podcasts and perusing the DND books.

i'll be gentle, don't worry.

Depending on when and what not of course.

• WAHWAH Registered User regular
    Okay I need some help on the Minotaur bard for Gorilla Suit's game. Also new to D&D. I don't know what feats to take at all. I can also move some of the ability scores around and I'm thinking of dropping the Chainmail for some Hide Armour. Ritual suggestions would be good too.
    Level 1
    Minotaur, Bard
    Build: Valorous Bard
    Bardic Virtue: Virtue of Valor
    Background: Minotaur - Baphomet Clan Exile, Occupation - Entertainer, Early Life - Social Outcast (+2 to Intimidate)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 14, Con 18, Dex 8, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 16.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 12, Con 16, Dex 8, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 16.

AC: 17 Fort: 14 Reflex: 13 Will: 14
    HP: 30 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana +6, Nature +7, Perception +7, Athletics +6, Intimidate +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics -1, Bluff +4, Diplomacy +4, Dungeoneering +1, Endurance +4, Heal +1, History +2, Insight +1, Religion +2, Stealth -1, Streetwise +4, Thievery -1

FEATS
    Bard: Ritual Caster
    Level 1: Improved Majestic Word

POWERS
    Bard at-will 1: Vicious Mockery
    Bard at-will 1: War Song Strike
    Bard encounter 1: Shout of Triumph
    Bard daily 1: Stirring Shout

ITEMS
    Ritual Book, Chainmail, Adventurer's Kit, Longsword, Light Shield, Wand Implement, Lute
    RITUALS
    Traveler's Chant, Traveler's Camouflage

STEAM | GW2: hamdoughnuts.7359
    without chainmail you ac drops by 2. generally, having an 18 in yoru attack stat is more important then most anything else. abilities trigger on hitting more often then not, and without hitting you're useless. I would say drop strength down to 10, Con down to 16 after racial stuff and you should have enough points to pump cha to 18. maybe, my math might be off.

outside of that, general bumps to your bard healing power ot if you keep the 16 in charisma an accuracy feat for heavy blades would be a good idea.

as for rituals, Tenser's floating disc.

• WAHWAH Registered User regular
    Okay looking at feats I see Versatile Expertise and Implement Expertise (Heavy Blade). Is there any reason I shouldn't choose Versatile Expertise? It seems to do the same thing as Implement Expertise but I can choose two things instead of one.

STEAM | GW2: hamdoughnuts.7359
    well, if i'm not mistaken the current wording just says "+1 to hit with heavy blades in an attack" or some such. it is still used if it's an implement.

it is in summary, basically redundant to put it shortly.

so, hordes of zombies. Is it fair to use them when the party has a cleric and a paladin?

I say, yes.

• Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    Yes definitely.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
    Datar, make a character for Eclipse phase. it's a good idea.

maaaaybe

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    no it's a bad idea

0BnD8l3.gif
  • HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    It's an ok idea.

(Insert the futurama I have No Strong Feelings video)

Tell my wife

hello

m6eoUgQ.jpg
    Dichotomy wrote:
    no it's a bad idea

So were you.

it's true, i should have never made you.

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    @MrMonroe Yes, and yes. There were a few PbP games in CF when it was first released but they died off crazy quick. Burning Wheel is a seriously weird system but they simplified it nicely for the Mouse Guard thing and Mouse Guard.

Yeah

Give a squirrel a shortbow -> You've got my attention

I don't know anything about the system, I just assume it's one of those games where the GM just nods sagely at you when you make a roll, looks at a sheet of paper, and then pulls a result out of his ass based on how he wants the story to go.

• MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    MrMonroe wrote:
    Yeah

Give a squirrel a shortbow -> You've got my attention

I don't know anything about the system, I just assume it's one of those games where the GM just nods sagely at you when you make a roll, looks at a sheet of paper, and then pulls a result out of his ass based on how he wants the story to go.

Actually, not at all. It uses a variant of Burning Wheel which is very hot (hah!) on having the rules set out quite concretely, both for the players and the GM.

A neat part of Mouse Guard is that there's a "GM's turn" and a "Player's turn". During the GM's turn he gives a mouse guard mission and throws problems at the characters for them to try and solve, after that it's the Player's turn and they use the actions they accumulated during the GM turn to do stuff like recover from wounds and illness, visit their relatives, practice crafts, and make new allies.

It's pretty cool.

Marshmallow on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    that actually sounds like it would be well suited to PbP

• MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    It's an idea I've stolen for most games I've run since first reading it. The players first do some big, heavy plot stuff, then they get a couple days "downtime" in the game to pursue their own goals. It's made for some good sessions, and gives me a chance to take a narrative backseat and react to the players instead of vice versa.

OK, update on my game:

3 players signed up so far.
    -WAH
    -Gatsby
    -Melding
    We could probably do with 2 more.

With Gatsby being in The Land Down Under, we will have the games on Friday or Saturday night, Pacific Time (GMT +8).

For anyone looking to join, encounters are going to be done with Maptools and we'll hopefully be using voicechat; Ventrillo, or something else.

Setting is basic DnD Winterhaven/Hammerfast area with some stuff I made up thrown in liberally. Starting with Level 1 characters.

might throw up another thread when this one gets killed. will throw you into the OP if i make it. If i don't make it i make no promise.

Will also keep tabs on who is playing what, pick up whatever isn't taken. If everything i taken then i will make whatever i figure will help.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Ahahaha. Everybody on the WotC site is flipping out. They posted the latest Rule-of-Three, talking about the Bladesinger.

And the dev guy said they gave the Bladesinger Wizard Encounter powers as Daily powers so that he could be a tough melee fighter and still be able to cast Fireball.

Only, Fireball is a Wizard Daily and Bladesingers have no access to it.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
This discussion has been closed.