As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Burn your books! [eReaders] are here!

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    You can't backlight e-ink (right?).

• Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    Afterburner mod

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    orionminus wrote:
    Not to sound lazy but have I have a link plox?

Don't know e-reader/tablets for shit hence why I'm here.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/index.asp?PID=35699

e-ink + touchscreen + epub support = best ereader on the market

• orionminusorionminus Registered User regular
    Looks pretty cash, I just live in Arizona and I want to read digital books on a device in my dark 72 degree man-cave and not outside.

Maybe what I'm looking for is the Holy Grail:

A e-reader that won't stress the fuck out of my eyes, looks nice, doesn't feel chintzy but can still be read in the dark.

why not get the nook color then?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookcolor/#logo

sounds like exactly what you're looking for

That, or buy a booklight.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    A backlight is kinda anthetical to most of the things that define ereaders (eink screens, ridiculous battery life, etc), so...

steam_sig.png

Well how does this stack up when compared to just getting an iPad and using Amazon's book program thing on it?

edited August 2011
    Just get a book light case

Skoal Cat on
    If you want something that won't stress your eyes you might not want a backlight, because it is precisely the paper-like qualities of eInk that many people find to be helpful in terms of eye stress (me, for example). An iPad/nook color won't work for that because they're normal LCD screens.

edited August 2011
    orionminus wrote:

Well how does this stack up when compared to just getting an iPad and using Amazon's book program thing on it?

well it costs half as much as the cheapest iPad

it's smaller, so it's more portable

it supports Flashplayer, which the iPad doesn't

it has expandable microSD memory, which the iPad doesn't

and it has some of Barnes & Noble's own ebook stuff on it, like their book recommendation software and it has a lot of apps like Angry Birds and Pandora

Centipede Damascus on
    Fair enough.

Next step is to go to Best Buy and fuck around with their display models to see which one I like more and then order on Amazon.com.

Thanks for the crash course guys.

If eye stress is an issue, then don't go LCD. Its the same thing as reading on a computer.
    Which is to say that if that causes you eye stress, don't get a Nook color

• CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    A long, painful month after ordering from Borders.com, my Kobo Touch just arrived! And it is so, so swish, and such an improvement on the previous two Kobos.

Something which might be worth mentioning is that the Kindle 3 is now available in Australia and New Zealand through Dick Smith and Big W. My first thought was that it was Amazon trying to dump stock everywhere possible before announcing a newer model.

Cyvros on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Somehow, my Kindle was broken the other day. I suspect undue pressure at some point on a long train journey, but can't be sure. Amazon got a replacement out stupidly fast and arranged to pick up the broken one via prepaid courier. If their strategy is to make me loyal to the Kindle via their incredible customer service they're doing an excellent job.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    On the one hand I'm sad I've never gotten to experience the amazing customer service.

On the other hand, I've never had my Kindles break.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    E-Ink was showing off some new stuff at IFA 2011.
    new controller chips to increase dpi to 300, all plastic displays making them shatter proof and able to be embeded in smaller places, and the triton colour e-ink displays.

I like the news that the colour displays are already shipping to manufacturers, though no news on who is using them yet.

http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets/e-ink-promises-thinner-lighter-higher-resolution-and-color-e-paper-displays-2011095/

the future is looking better and better. can't wait for super fast refresh colour displays, so i can get a phone or laptop with weeks of battery life. shouldn't be more than a few years to wait.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    Don't hold your breath on week+ battery life on a phone or laptop. Those will still need to be lighted, and the processors soak up much more battery than an e-reader.

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Ive been sitting on $40 in Amazon gift cards since Christmas, waiting for some video game deals. I finally today, totally randomly, totally out of the blue decided I needed to just get rid of them and get a Kindle.

I rarely read but would love to read more, and just kind of ran with it before I talked myself out of it. $65 later and I'm anxiously awaiting my WiFi, ad-supported Kindle. Really, really excited.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    Yessssssss color e-ink
    Unfortunately, E-Ink does not seem to be a publicly traded company. I want to give them so much money.

• Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    I just bought myself a Dodo Case for my Kindle and they gave me a 10% off coupon that I'm supposed to give away. If someone else uses it I get 10% back from my purchase, which is nice. Send me a PM if it's something you're interested in.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    There aren't any soon to be released updates/new versions to these devices are there? Because I've been wanting to pick one up more and more ever since my younger sister got a nook when she left for college. I liked the look, feel and size of that one a lot, plus looking at the OP it seems like there are more options for that with regards to formats than a kindle.

Maybe wait a month to see if Amazon releases a new version of the Kindle? Rumours are flying everywhere that they're releasing a sub-USD300 tablet soon and that it may or may not be a Kindle tablet.

That said, I'm not a fan of the Kindle and wouldn't personally recommend it beyond Amazon's fantastic customer service, which people don't stop talking about.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote:
    Ive been sitting on $40 in Amazon gift cards since Christmas, waiting for some video game deals. I finally today, totally randomly, totally out of the blue decided I needed to just get rid of them and get a Kindle.

I rarely read but would love to read more, and just kind of ran with it before I talked myself out of it. $65 later and I'm anxiously awaiting my WiFi, ad-supported Kindle. Really, really excited.

That's what I was thinking...then somebody reminded me of the ICO/SotC collection for 40.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »
    Maybe wait a month to see if Amazon releases a new version of the Kindle? Rumours are flying everywhere that they're releasing a sub-USD300 tablet soon and that it may or may not be a Kindle tablet.
    Probably no e-ink though, and there's still a stark difference in backlit screens and e-ink.

I refuse to sell backlit e-readers at work, let alone buy them. But, you know, different strokes for different folks.
    I AM AN E-INK FOLKER GODDAMMIT

Whelp, Amazon managed to get their Kindle Fire down to $199, and there's now a $79 ad-supported Kindle without a keyboard. God damn.

4hNKbHH.png
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    so new kindles... do they support epubs yet? I didn't see any mention of format so I'm unsure.

Whelp, Amazon managed to get their Kindle Fire down to $199, and there's now a $79 ad-supported Kindle without a keyboard. God damn.
    It's quite tempting, but WHERE IS MY BIG KINDLE THAT IS NOT ALMOST $400?!?!?!?

Sigh. I think I'll just give up and either buy one of these new cheap Kindles or a Kobo touch, depending on who does PDFs better.

Oh FUCK.

The Amazon Fire looks like in-fucking-credible.

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.

Apple is shitting themselves.

The king is dead, long live the king.

Sigh. I think I'll just give up and either buy one of these new cheap Kindles or a Kobo touch, depending on who does PDFs better.

I thought I wanted a Kindle DX until I saw one, and it looked like a sight-gag.

I can't believe the Kindle Touch 3G is $149. All these prices seem ridiculous.

Kindle Comparison now on Kindle product pages.

4hNKbHH.png
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    orionminus wrote:
    Oh FUCK.

Still looking at the info. At a glance, nothing seems super impressive other than the price, but then, 7 inches seems small.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    I, too, will be throwing money at amazon in the coming months.

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Preordered the Fire already.
    I'm weak.

It's worth noting that previous Kindle versions (now called "Kindle Keyboard") are not dropping in price, meaning getting a Kindle for my birthday in August is in no way regrettable.

4hNKbHH.png
    I'm kinda bummed about everything going digital.

I just picked up the Ben Hur Collector's Edition Bluray box set yesterday and it's amazing.

I'm just old fashioned and enjoy the idea of heavy, expensive things sitting on my shelf.

Then again the thought of a sexy Kindle Fire on my coffee table with ten thousand books/songs more than makes up for it.

Can't fucking wait.

• Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    Septus wrote:
    orionminus wrote:
    Oh FUCK.

Still looking at the info. At a glance, nothing seems super impressive other than the price, but then, 7 inches seems small.

7 inches is pretty small for a tablet. There's no camera, either. Not a huge deal, but it remains to be seen how well it will catch on. It seems to be for content consumption only. Plus, it's not e-ink. How well will it work as a reader?

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular

I thought I wanted a Kindle DX until I saw one, and it looked like a sight-gag.

I can't believe the Kindle Touch 3G is $149. All these prices seem ridiculous.

Kindle Comparison now on Kindle product pages.

It is because those prices on the main page are the add supported versions of the eink kindles. I can't wait I'll be throwing 300$ plus accessories at amazon soon. And I will enjoy every minute of it.

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    I think an important point, is that the $200 price point can make it far better as a toy, which is how I still view the iPad for my purposes. So in that case, who cares if it's not an ideal ereader.

The description of the silk browser actually sounds fantastic, and probably the most unique feature. Seems like it could be the king of casual web browsing, with the potential weakness being a smaller keyboard, which I think would irk me.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited September 2011
    Ditto.

I don't care that it doesn't have a camera or a big ass hard drive, I have a camera and computer for that shit.

The Fire will be how I acquire most of of my future music (320 CBR/FLAC, of course), book and movie purchases.

If I buy music/books/movies can I access them from my PC as well as my Fire at the same time?

orionminus on