As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA comic: Mon. August 29, 2011

BogeyBogey I'm back, baby!Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
edited August 2011 in The Penny Arcade Hub
i-svwr3ps-XL.jpg

Contingencies
I sometimes wonder if PAX is a thing I will ever be able to contain in my head. The comedown is usually pretty hard: I spend a lot of time sitting quietly and staring forward, dimply aware that a child is tugging on whatever textiles I have managed to drape over my vile and bulbous frame. I spend three or four days at such a level of physical and psychic availability that for days afterward everything is just sort of ringing and raw. I have said on many occasions that we are not well suited to this task, and perhaps could not be, as men who spent their formative years in abject terror and subjugation; we are people suffused with a natural unease, each of us literally medicated for our demons. But noone else wants to do it, or noone else can. It’s possible that our damage has pounded us unto whatever shape is necessary for this. I’d be lying if I said I understood it.

I remember more of the show than I usually do. There are many highlights which are completely available to my mind, and don’t require a week of decompression to access, which is the usual case. For example, I can tell you that on Saturday I played a game of Dungeons & Dragons while decked out in chain mail; I can tell you that at a panel, someone asked us (in the most roundabout way possible) if we would introduce him to Wil Wheaton so that Wil Wheaton could introduce him to Felicia Day. I finally had a chance to play Crokinole. I agreed to officiate a wedding. I was convinced to to play Just Dance 3, specifically the song “Take On Me.” I tried to deliver the necessary theatrics.

The strip we made at the Create a Strip Panel, complete with a Derpy Hooves crowd request, is somewhere in transit as I write this. When the show closes down, it’s like a disaster movie in a lot of ways; a lot of people running to escape debris which is falling in slow motion. I think Kiko has it, but I can’t be sure; my only hope is that he made it out alive.

The following link will bring you the comic href=“http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/08/26”>when it is available - probably best to check the feed. Unless you want to just check the page over and over again, making me incredibly wealthy, which is also fine.

Our task with PAX is to fashion a vessel capable of holding a portion of the gathered enthusiasm, and not to lose it. I thank the Enforcers, as ever the spine of the show; I thank the Exhibitors for the, um… exhibits, all the exhibits that they had, and I thank the attendees, whose circulation through the show animates an entirely new form of life.

(CW)TB out.

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
PSN: Bogestrom
Bogey on

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Kara has escaped from this creepy conversation by replacing herself with a decoy My Little Pony doll. Let's see how long it takes Gabe to notice.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    FactorySquirrelFactorySquirrel Marceline's Henchman Land of OooRegistered User regular
    I knew what the dialog was going to be because my friend took pictures of the big screen thingy at the panel, but I assumed Gabe's directive not to engage carnally with his doppelgangers was directed at the readers, like a PSA. Seeing now that it was delivered to Kara makes more sense.

"That man is playing Galaga! He thought we wouldn't notice. But we did."
  • Options
    jzimbertjzimbert Registered User regular
    So, theoretically, a girl dressed as Gabe could have sex with another girl dressed as Gabe? Hang on, I need to go write a story.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Based off his love of cute horses from previous comics, I don't think Gabriel would mind if Kara could transform herself into Derpy and back.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    I don’t believe that ponies are natural skulkers.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    What's going on with that Derpy Hooves?

There's something about it...

Something wrong...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    Syphyre wrote:
    Based off his love of cute horses from previous comics, I don't think Gabriel would mind if Kara could transform herself into Derpy and back.

this.

what the hell is that even supposed to mean?

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    edit: forget it.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Hey where'd the hot dog fairy go?

• Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    Is Kara on some sort of pedestal, or wearing 6 inch platform shoes?

4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    glimmungglimmung Registered User regular
    Campion wrote:
    Is Kara on some sort of pedestal, or wearing 6 inch platform shoes?

She has freakish ostrich legs.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    bwanie wrote:
    Syphyre wrote:

this.

what the hell is that even supposed to mean?

Perhaps a lengthy explanation is in order.

1) There are several comics in which Gabe has professed his love for horses, unicorns, or other quadrupeds of that nature. For example http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/04/09, http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/01/09, and http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/10/13. There are multiple other examples if you care to search the archives. However I do not believe that anyone doubts that Gabe does love horses.

2) In the same position in both the first and the third panels is Kara and Derpy, respectively. One could postulate that the Pony shown in the third panel is indeed Kara. Indeed, in light of Gabe's comments in panel two, one may almost humorously assume that she has transformed into Derpy so that the situation which Gabe is envisioning will never occur, and the look on Derpy's face in panel three reflects her feelings on the matter. Therefore it is quite possible that in the context of the comic, Kara can transform into a little pony.

3) Due to the aforementioned (1) and (2), I found it humorous to make the initial statement I did, postulating that finding he has a wife that could become a horse, or pony as it were, it would increase his happiness manyfold, as it would lead to a "Squeeeee!!!!" situation for Gabe.

4) If you read more into this than is written at face value, I weep for the future.

Syphyre on
  • Options
    SilverEternitySilverEternity Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote:
    Hey where'd the hot dog fairy go?

I was wondering the same thing.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I was wondering if G&T would ever try to work in a pony into a comic. And they chose the best one.

• Options
    Roger WilcoRoger Wilco Registered User regular
    It is really creepy that there are posters on this site watching a cartoon about horses meant for 8 year old girls. Seriously, Gabe and Tycho should not be helping these people, they should have ignored the pony suggestion.

Also since this is probably the worst PA comic in the history of PA, perhaps they should put an end to letting the audience write a strip once a year.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    It's really creepy that there are posters on this site that play games that involve decapitating other people with the most horrific animations possible.
    It's really creepy that there are posters on this site that watch reality shows that involve watching other people's horrible lifestyles to make themselves feel better.
    It's really creepy that there are posters on this site that watch cartoons about horses meant for 8 year old girls.
    It's really creepy that there are posters on this site that actually enjoy lording it over other people as if there is a defined lifestyle that is correct for everybody.

If you don't like something, unless it's truly a menace to society, Keep. Your. Mouth. Shut.

Edit: I'm not saying you can't express dislike for things. However keep your hyperbole down.

Syphyre on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Remember when people use to not give a shit about what other people were harmlessly doing?

Neither do I.

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    mike and jerry write the script before the panel.

the panel starts with jerry bring up [mac notepad equivalent] and typing out the script whiel reading it aloud

then mike draws it.

the first question was the pony request. or second. and pax east's comic had the same type of request.

i dunno, after i got to request that ball got put into the comic way back when, i'm ok with what people request. seeing mike draw real life versions of jerry and himself was great.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Dammit I just realized I got pulled into arguing something on the internet. I'm going to go sit in my corner :(

Anyways, as far as the comic goes, it's about as funny as the one from a couple of years ago with the robot and Jonathon Coulton and whatever. It's funny to the audience at the time, and that's the point. So anyways! :D

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    anyway someone needs to link us to a youtube of the drawing session so we might all partake in the joys of comic creation

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It is really creepy that there are posters on this site watching a cartoon about horses meant for 8 year old girls. Seriously, Gabe and Tycho should not be helping these people, they should have ignored the pony suggestion.

Also since this is probably the worst PA comic in the history of PA, perhaps they should put an end to letting the audience write a strip once a year.

There are many people on this forum that watch several other cartoons. Is that also creepy? I just want to know where you draw the line. Are all cartoons bad or just this one?

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    Dammit, we really started this argument on the first page? This is not the thread for hating on other forumers.

You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • Options
    nooo, i don't hate the ponies/show/grown-ass folk watching it.
    i could't be bothered by something like that.

it's the weird stuff happening around it, and yes i mistook sphyre's post for that.

which i was getting ready to apologize for, when he posted that little tirade.

sorry folks, this one is all me.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    It is really creepy that there are posters on this site watching a cartoon about horses meant for 8 year old girls.
    Can you list other really creepy things? I'd be interested to read about them.

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    I was wondering if G&T would ever try to work in a pony into a comic. And they chose the best one.

From PAX East 2011

1215486810_UvvEB-L.jpg

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    bwanie wrote:
    nooo, i don't hate the ponies/show/grown-ass folk watching it.
    i could't be bothered by something like that.

it's the weird stuff happening around it, and yes i mistook sphyre's post for that.

which i was getting ready to apologize for, when he posted that little tirade.

sorry folks, this one is all me.

I was feeling sarcastic earlier today, so I decided to go off. I apologize for that!

• Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    Really? The crowd requested a pony again? Christ...

I don't know. I'm just tired of seeing/hearing about that damn show.

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    As soon as I saw the pony I thought "Goddammit this was another PAX Q&A thing wasn't it?"

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    GilokeeGilokee Registered User new member
    He notes in the blog that he danced - I have the whole thing here:https://plus.google.com/102794693312959827390/posts/Mp89gV6A7Ex

Also: The hot dog fairy disappeared! Here it is: WCaLY.jpg

A bee I am...not.
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Heh.
    threadisgoing.jpg

Personally, I think Derpy would fit in well with Twist & Catsby.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote:

Why would you incept this idea into our minds?

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Also since this is probably the worst PA comic in the history of PA

This is quite a stretch. But hey, look at it this way: you'll forget all about this when there's a new comic on Wednesday.

Or probably if you took a nap.

You seem like you could use a nap.

• Options
    Henroid wrote:
    PMAvers wrote:

Why would you incept this idea into our minds?

Nah. Pinkie Pie.

"It's high time we had a shindig of the utmost proportions, Catsby"
    "Ohh, I know, I'll throw a party tonight!"
    "Fortuitous!"

• Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote:
    you'll forget all about this when there's a new comic on Wednesday.

Or maybe this week is Pony Week. Kind of like Shark Week, but you know, ponies.

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Adus wrote:
    Really? The crowd requested a pony again? Christ...

I don't know. I'm just tired of seeing/hearing about that damn show.

amen.

no, wait

it doesn't add much to the comic though

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Why did he get rid of the Hotdog Fairy?

Why?

HeadCreeps on
    vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular

You don't need to be so hostile to a large part of a PA membership like this.

Besides the worst PA comic is obviously dickwolves.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    HeadCreeps wrote:
    Why did he get rid of the Hotdog Fairy?

Why?

It's part of the PAX tradition.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Let's not interact with the idiot.

• Options
    Tube I asked you to stop calling me that. D: