As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Jordyn's JLU Thread (PODCAST #2 Page 38)

• JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Sars_Boy wrote:
    God, that Wonder Woman image is fucking creepy.

I seriously cannot stop laughing at it.

And I totally downloaded the Finale right away. I will say this, I have not watched it as many times as I have watched Divided We Fall, or Flash and Substance.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Thank you for support.

I'm waiting to watch it, mainly because I can keep it on my dvr to rewatch it on my big screen, and because it takes an act of God to erase movies off my computer. I still have Advent Children on here, and I only watched it once and was merely moderatly impressed.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Patriot Act is still one of my favorites. I still wish the Crimson Avenger got a bit more screen time though. Old school hero with a cool gun and trenchcoat with hero-y music in the background is a win for me.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited May 2006
    I was dissapointed with the last season.

Tube on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Jordyn wrote:
    Sars_Boy wrote:

And I totally downloaded the Finale right away. I will say this, I have not watched it as many times as I have watched Divided We Fall, or Flash and Substance.

Is there even a number to count that high?

The Muffin Man on
  • Kaosu ReidoKaosu Reido Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Jordyn wrote:
    Sars_Boy wrote:

Is there even a number to count that high?

Infinity. It is impossible to stop watching them.

Kaosu Reido on
    KAOSU REIDO - The Bullet Of Justice Caps Evil's Ass

dygenguardsig2asp0.png
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I haven't been able to keep up with JLU these last couple of seasons unfortunally due to work keeping me away from home on Saturday nights. I defantally plan to pick up the seasons however on DVD as soon as I can pull together enough scratch. I've already made a start elsewhere in the DCAU by buying both Season 1 of Batman Beyond and the uncut version of the Batman Beyond movie for a nice sum of 30 dollars, money well spent in my eyes.

Owenashi on
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Just out of curiousity, how many episodes of Superman showed what he was like as a kid? The only one I can remember is the one where the Legion travels back in time to fight Braniac.

I wonder if Superboy'll be stuck in the future or if they'll show Smallville every now and again in the new show.

robosagogo on
    edited May 2006
    I've been curious about this for a while, and I don't know if it was answered:

Luthor, in the DCAU, especially early on: White, or black?

He's very clearly white by the end of the DCAU, but in Superman, he seemed black... Or was I insane?

Kaosu Reido on

dygenguardsig2asp0.png
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2006

He's very clearly white by the end of the DCAU, but in Superman, he seemed black... Or was I insane?

He was deeply tanned.

The Muffin Man on
    edited May 2006
    Extremely, then. I think he matched or was darker than Steel.

Kaosu Reido on

dygenguardsig2asp0.png
  • HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I think he's always been a black dude, and that's because of his lips.

Generally, you don't see defined lips on the men of the DCAU. The exception is black men: both John Henry Irons (Steel) and John Stewart (GL) have actual lips drawn on their faces rather than just mouths. So does Lex Luthor.

So does Harvey Dent, for that matter.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I was under the impression he was Samoan in TAS.

I have no reason to explain this thought process.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I always just assumed he was "mixed." Of what, I don tknow.

Lux on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited May 2006
    His look was based on Telly Savalas. TAS Luthor is clearly Greek.

Spectre-x on
  • Chaos ZeroChaos Zero Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I did watch a lot of flash and substance mostly cause I love the rogues and I love when the Flash fights them. Mirror Master being my favorite one. But I loved watching Destroyer too cause i'm a sucker for huge fights involving everyone, especially when the Question rolls in.

I wish I had had cable when JLU was on to catch all the eps.

Chaos Zero on
    edited May 2006
    So I watched Blast from the Past last night after we had the whole "propagating the species" thing. It's mentioned a couple times. At one point Lois asks Mala if she and Superman are going to have like...a million Kryptonian babies.

Mala: OH YES MILLIONS AND MILLIONS.

But Superman's like: What? I'm gay. I mean-in love with Lois, and the reason I never do a damn thing about it certainly isn't because I am actually in love with Batman.

Then later Superman says something about how it's good he's the only Kryptonian there because hey, on Earth they would all get superpowers and probably go crazy and try to kill everyone, I guess. Gosh Superman, good excuse to not have sex with women. Well played, old chum.

But my favourite part of the episode?

The Phantom Zone projector.

01.jpg

The projector has three knobs, let's call them A, B, and C. Through this helpful guide, I'll explain to you how to use them.

Knob A: Places people in or out of the Phantom Zone.
    Knob B: Places people in or out of the Phantom Zone.
    Knob C: Places people in or out of the Phantom Zone.

Protip: Sometimes you can also push the knobs like buttons.

This is important to remember when you're just carelessly doing whatever the hell you want with it.

The project also has a viewfinder so that you can watch people float around in the Phantom Zone like some kind of creepy voyeur.

06.jpg

Oh yeah baby, it's hot when you float like that.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I will echo Tube and say that overall this last season left me a little disappointed. Mainly because it didn't feel as cohesive as the other seasons and it felt rushed near the end. Overall most of the episodes were enjoyable, but I just finished watching the last three 2 nights ago and I can't help but feel a little empty inside. That it, it's over, gone. This is the first time in a long time we have to go without our Timm/Dini inspired DCAU, and there's really nothing in production or coming anytime soon that can come close to filling that role of quality animated programming.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • LaveLave regular
    edited May 2006
    Jordyn wrote:
    Would you guys enjoy it if I did like...episode synopsis and tidbits and such? I think I'd work my way through Justice League, but probably throw in some of the more memorable Superman, Batman, and Batman Beyond stuff.

Hell, maybe even Static Shock. *weh weh*

Count me in - Cheers for bringing the reason I come to GV back!

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
    Scholar and a Gentleman? Critical of bad science and religion? Skeptobot - Is for you!!
  • CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    This is the first time in a long time we have to go without our Timm/Dini inspired DCAU, and there's really nothing in production or coming anytime soon that can come close to filling that role of quality animated programming.

Well, there is the DCAU "The Flash" series.

But that only exists in my most beautiful dreams.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • SkwirlSkwirl Registered User regular
    edited May 2006

Timm and company actually talk about this on the commentary to one of the episodes in season two, he's supposed to be white. Apparently his skin is actually the exact same color as Superman's. People just think he's black because he's the only character with outlined lips.

Someone do a screen capture with them both onscreen at the same time, do it for science.

Skwirl on
    edited May 2006
    Skwirl wrote:

Timm and company actually talk about this on the commentary to one of the episodes in season two, he's supposed to be white. Apparently his skin is actually the exact same color as Superman's. People just think he's black because he's the only character with outlined lips.

Someone do a screen capture with them both onscreen at the same time, do it for science.

They're gonna kiss.

17.jpg

Also, while I didn't take this shot, I now know how to take my own shots, and I am going to be doing so much in this thread. Sometime in the next couple days I'll be doing a post for Secret Origins, and continuing from there. Then, once classes are done, I'll really pick up with some stuff I hope you guys enjoy. Huzzah!

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    edited May 2006
    Skwirl wrote:

Actually, for me, it was the voice. He just... SOUNDS black.

And frankly, that would make him INCREDIBLY more awesome than some pansy white business guy.

I have no idea why. But I always got the feeling in the DCAU that Luthor should be black. Comics Luthor? White. DCAU Luthor? Black.

No idea why. He just... wins.

Kaosu Reido on

dygenguardsig2asp0.png
    edited May 2006
    Luthor is voiced by Clancy Brown.

03.clancy.brown.jpg

And man, this guy is a voice-acting work horse. He has done voices on so many shows: Kim Possible, MegasXLR, Juniper Lee, Teen Titans, The Batman (he's Mr. Freeze), Jackie Chan Adventures, SpongeBob, American Dragon, Duck Dodgers, Batman Beyond...It just goes on and on.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    edited May 2006
    That just makes him MORE awesome.

Kaosu Reido on

dygenguardsig2asp0.png
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Jordyn wrote:

03.clancy.brown.jpg

And man, this guy is a voice-acting work horse. He has done voices on so many shows: Kim Possible, MegasXLR, Juniper Lee, Teen Titans, The Batman (he's Mr. Freeze), Jackie Chan Adventures, SpongeBob, American Dragon, Duck Dodgers, Batman Beyond...It just goes on and on.

Cartoon Writer: "So..we need some voice talent for our new show.."
    Other Cartoon Writer: "Clancy Brown"
    Cartoon Writer: "But it's an all girl cast..."
    Other Cartoon Writer: "Dude...its Clancy fucking Brown..he was in Street Sharks...remember Street Sharks? They were sharks...but human..sorta"

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Jordyn wrote:

03.clancy.brown.jpg

He also kicked all sorts of ass in Carnivale as Brother Justin. Because I kept waiting for him to plot his revenge on Superman in the middle of every sermon.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited May 2006
    Skwirl wrote:

And frankly, that would make him INCREDIBLY more awesome than some pansy white business guy.

I have no idea why. But I always got the feeling in the DCAU that Luthor should be black. Comics Luthor? White. DCAU Luthor? Black.

I have always felt the same way.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
    edited May 2006
    Skwirl wrote:

I have always felt the same way.

03.jpg

I just... I dunno, he still looks like a black dude to me.

Harrier on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited May 2006
    Is... is that the Kurgan?

Tube on
    edited May 2006

Oh my God

OH MY GOD

IT IS

kurgan.jpg

Harrier on
    edited May 2006
    BLACK LUTHOR!

blackluthor.jpg

I fail. But that just looks... right.

Kaosu Reido on

dygenguardsig2asp0.png
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited May 2006

That line finally pushed me off the fence of lurking and into the mosh pit of posting. Bravo sir, bravo.

I think Luthor's lips are the way they are because otherwise he would look way too much like a happy face. He has no hair or crazy facial scars/tattoo's so without the lips he would just look... empty.

Caveman Paws on
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2006
    ...he doesn't look black at all.

edit: And he never has.

Also, he has the whitest nose ever.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • YdobonYdobon Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I always thought Luthor was just one of those power tanners in the DCAU. I figured he kept that head shaved 'cause he'd look like a tan Ronald McDonald with that crazy red 'fro he should be sporting.

Now that would strike fear in the hearts of humans and Kryptonians alike.

Ydobon on
    "Then, for the sake of all worlds, I will continue to seek a better way."
    ~Dr. Fate
    "Hey, what's wrong with your fingers? They seem to be all up in my grill, when they would be better placed...CRAMMED UP YOUR BUTTOCKS...BIZNATCH!!!"
    ~Oglethorpe
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Look at him, guys.

Clearly Greek.

Spectre-x on
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Guys, guys... clearly we're letting little details get in the way.

bothhands.jpg

Synthetic Orange on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited May 2006

-snip-

See, this guy knows where it's at.

Sars_Boy on
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited May 2006

More like Tube of Wonderful.

God, I love you, man.

Tach on
  • CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited May 2006

-snip-

What's The Atom doing in there?

Well, I have an idea of what he's doing, I'm just not sure the network would stand for it.

Clearly I missed that episode.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.