As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wolverine's Healing in Civil War

• HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    LockeCole wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Considering Scarlet Witch recently rewrote large chunks of reality, it's possible she made his healing better than it used to be.

AndturnedIronManintoadick.

Hey kids, everything wrong about the last year or so is her fault. Yup!

Also, she is a skrull.
    She was also augmented somehow.

No more A-Cup!

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Considering Scarlet Witch recently rewrote large chunks of reality, it's possible she made his healing better than it used to be.

Also, she is a skrull.

No more A-Cup!

Superboy punched time?

Bloods End on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Not to mention a lot of mutants got secondary mutations a few years back.

The point is, they can explain it several ways that fit into the events going on in the Marvel universe, if they choose.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So I guess this means that, a little while after that famous Days of Future Past incident, Wolverine was good as new? Probably just got right back up and went back to being the best at what he does.
    This new healing thing is even more bullshit than normal in the whole 'isn't Wolverine awesome?' thing. Even super-regeneration-boneclaw version could be killed by decapitation (which wouldn't work with the metal skeleton, though). Unless you think Xavier and Beast, prettymuch the foremost minds on mutants, were wrong in their files. They recommended that you just nuke him (from orbit, it's the only way to be sure) instead of risking getting that close. Or not moving his head away fast enough, and his body reattaching to it.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited June 2007
    I don't see how decapitating him is impossible with the metal skeleton.

His cartilage isn't made of metal, is it? He's got joints. In fact I recall at least one recent comic where his legs are ripped off and thrown several miles away, forcing him to crawl on hands and elbows to find them so he can reattach.

MuddBudd on
    edited June 2007

His cartilage isn't made of metal, is it? He's got joints. In fact I recall at least one recent comic where his legs are ripped off and thrown several miles away, forcing him to crawl on hands and elbows to find them so he can reattach.

That was Ultimate Wolverine VS Hulk or something.

Did that story ever conclude?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited June 2007
    I suppose someone strong enough, like Hulk, could just pull his head off. Might end up just ripping his spine/skeleton right out of his body if he doesn't do it quite right, though.

But it's fairly likely that anyone trying to cut off his head would end up hitting the bone. And then their weapon would either be stopped or simply break.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

That was in his fight with the Hulk.

So what about it being some odd biochemical molecular thing hard wired into his DNA?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Honestly, with the way Wolverine is written (characterwise) he needs this stupid healing factor or he would have been dead a long time ago.

He rushes in, doesn't think about consequences for his actions... frankly, I would call his increased healing factor spontaneous evolution brought on by necessity. Or, as Marvel calls it, a secondary mutation.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Peeps ChickenPeeps Chicken Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I always assumed that there were adamantium loops of some sort that keep his adamantium plating together.

Of course, I assumed the same thing about Ultimate Wolverine too, until he parted ways.

Peeps Chicken on
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »

Also, she is a skrull.

No more A-Cup!

Superboy punched time?

Now that I think about it... random heros being skrulls doesn't sound so bad compared to 'Superboy punched time'. Oy vey.

LockeCole on
  • JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sentry wrote: »
    granted... but those complaints should have been voiced before Civil War, as there have been a few comics (not many) showing Wolverine recovering from having his flesh burned off.

He had his whole bottom torso blown off by the Punisher, and it took him a night to heal that, while Spidey noted with fascination how the intestines bilt themselves.
    blankspace wrote: »
    Well Deadpool is better than Taskmaster

so yeah, Deadpool.

Despite the healing factor, Deadpool has actually died a few times. I'd put him in the same league as Wolverine.
    He fought Taskmaster and won.

With his hands tied behind his back I believe. He was restrained somehow.

Taskmaster started the fight by stabbing him in the heart with a sword! That would have been enough against anyone else.

Exactly how was Taskmaster supposed to beat Deadpool using just a sword and guns?

a) Deadpool lets himself be stabbed because HE KNOWS he will recover. Happens all the time in his solo, and the Cable and Deadpool book.

b) Taskmaster knows so much, yet can think of anything better to stab him in the heart.

c) Taskmaster, has always been a rather B-villain, with only one rather off canon-ish Udon comic series that got ignored anyway as writers just kept writing him as he always was.

BTW. Anyone catch Deadpool blowing the hell off Sabertooth in the latest Cable&Deadpool? Pity nate stopped the fight, but it was nice seeing Sabertoothe get tossed accross thousand of miles onto the ocean.

JCM on
  • Sneaky_SideKickSneaky_SideKick Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I would like to point out that wolverine once survived a thermonuclear device to the forehead in the Venom arc "Run", so this civil war crap is really the least of his worries. and i know what your gonna say, that some 2 bit writer for some venom series does not have the authority to make that kind od crap up. Lemme just respond with.....shove it, any man who is kind enough to give me more venom reading material can kill off every marvel character ever if he so chooses.

Sneaky_SideKick on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    That was Ultimate Wolverine VS Hulk or something.

Did that story ever conclude?
    The next issue was meant to hit stores on 19th April ... 2006. Eventually it was cancelled with the promise that it would be resolicited at a later date. I wouldn't hold my breath, as it hasn't happened yet.

Wildcat on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    Either you buy it or you don't... but setting arbitrary rules on what his healing factor can and can't do is just stupid, since it doesn't seem anyone at Marvel knows, let alone a bunch of people reading it.

They aren't arbitrary rules we're talking about. They're just what common-sense dictates even if you accept the present ridiculous level of his healing factor. Getting vaporised in Civil War and then regenerating was rightly pointed out as being rubbish and just plain wrong, as even the hastily thought-out excuses proferred by the writer don't hold any water (his brain was safe, he's regenerated from a drop of blood before, etc).

You're right that Marvel are inconsistent in how they depict it and that this muddies the question, but that doesn't simply mean anything goes. Marvel's excuses of 'his brain survived' after the fact show that they at least recognise this was one instance where they had defintely crossed the line of what should be the basic level of Logan's healing factor. The line's muddy, but 'as if by magic from nothing' clearly crossed it.

Bogart on
  • CojonesCojones Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    JCM wrote: »
    BTW. Anyone catch Deadpool blowing the hell off Sabertooth in the latest Cable&Deadpool? Pity nate stopped the fight, but it was nice seeing Sabertoothe get tossed accross thousand of miles onto the ocean.
    Damn man, that could've used some spoilers.

Cojones on
    exmac.png
    edited June 2007
    Bogart wrote: »
    Either you buy it or you don't... but setting arbitrary rules on what his healing factor can and can't do is just stupid, since it doesn't seem anyone at Marvel knows, let alone a bunch of people reading it.

They aren't arbitrary rules we're talking about. They're just what common-sense dictates even if you accept the present ridiculous level of his healing factor. Getting vaporised in Civil War and then regenerating was rightly pointed out as being rubbish and just plain wrong, as even the hastily thought-out excuses proferred by the writer don't hold any water (his brain was safe, he's regenerated from a drop of blood before, etc).

You're right that Marvel are inconsistent in how they depict it and that this muddies the question, but that doesn't simply mean anything goes. Marvel's excuses of 'his brain survived' after the fact show that they at least recognise this was one instance where they had defintely crossed the line of what should be the basic level of Logan's healing factor. The line's muddy, but 'as if by magic from nothing' clearly crossed it.

They are arbitrary. They are completely arbitrary. I won't even go into how nonsensical it is to take about common sense when it comes to a mutant healing ability in a comic book. You may not like it, you may even hate it... but the fact that Marvel did their little "what happens when Wolverine should die but doesn't" book that talked about his soul and crap shows that, as far as excessive healing goes, that shit is cannon now.

You might consider writing your local congressman to voice your displeasure.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited June 2007
    They are arbitrary. They are completely arbitrary. I won't even go into how nonsensical it is to talk about common sense when it comes to a mutant healing ability in a comic book.

If your answer to this is "'It's a super-hero comic book" then why bother talking about it in the first place?

Logan can regenerate from damage. If there's nothing left of him except an artificial skeleton with no organic matter on it there's nothing to regenerate from. This isn't an arbitrary limit: it's simply what follows on from everything we know about his power. This level of simple goddamn logic doesn't strike me as being impossible to expect, even from a super-hero comic.
    You might consider writing your local congressman to voice your displeasure.

Or I could talk about it in a forum dedicated to, you know, comic books.

Bogart on
  • CharcoalNinjaCharcoalNinja Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Well to be fair it was a nigh instant explosion and it takes more than that to completely burn away human bones to nothing, so concievably he still had his entire skeleton to use as a basis for the regeneration underneath the Adamantium.

CharcoalNinja on
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Superman was helping out by spinning around the planet.

Synthetic Orange on
    edited June 2007
    Doesn't he have bone marrow?

MuddBudd on
    edited June 2007

I wonder how that gets oxygen or blood or whatever through adamantium...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Reynolds wrote: »

Would he even need to?

Wouldn't Uber Regen negate all of that

Algertman on
    edited June 2007
    Algertman wrote: »
    Reynolds wrote: »

Would he even need to?

Wouldn't Uber Regen negate all of that

Bones are not solid, they are porous. I have always heard his bones were 'laced' or 'bonded' with adamantium, which implies they weren't just plated with it outright. I would assume this means his bones are fused with metal but retain their porous structure.

MuddBudd on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Secondary mutations are stupid. Except for Emma's because it fits her character so well.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gabrielzerogabrielzero Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The dude is a master with them, he could have disabled Deaddy long enough to get away.

Chop off his legs, eviscerate him, hell chop of his precious cargo. There's a lot of ways he could have won.

It's one thing to be better than someone and quite another to be so much better that you can eviscerate them or cut their legs clean off in a fight. Taskmaster's better, but he's not a fucking god.

Come to think of it, Deadpool never fights hand to hand, so why would he even be considered among the top Martial Artists? He doesn't even use a sword, except for when his ammo runs out.

Deadpool was tied up because he also knew his weakness. The first time they fault , DP took advantage of that weakness and made a ass out of him. It seems Task can't fight someone who doesn't take him seriously.

So , to be fair , I would say they were pretty much even. And if that doesn't prove it, Task admitted that DP was a awesome fighter after round 2.

As for fighting ability , Deadpool was a sumo wrestler in Japan and a really good one. So he does have a fighting skills , and his super adrenaline from his healing factor makes him relentless.

But to remain on topic, I think Wolvies healing factor is rediculous . He is much better in Origins , and I liked him better when he was known for being a master of all forms of hand to hand combat. It seems he picked up hundreds of different fighting styles over the centuries , and he can stand up to Cap in a one on one fight. That's the kind of Logan I am a fan of.

^_^

It was fun entering a conversation about Deadpool and Wolverine. I don't get to do this often. <3

gabrielzero on
    Roleplay Adventures <--- If you like to role-play , then this is the forum for you. ^_^
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I agree secondary mutations are stupid. However I understand and appriciate the need to try and "update" certain characters in order to keep them interesting, however it would be nice to see these "secondary mutations" at least carry on in a similar direction with the origional mutation

Example: A telepath's secondary mutation should not be "diamond skin" even if it does fit the character very well. Something along the lines of precognition or being able to form psylocke style psych-blades would make much more sense.

Caveman Paws on
    edited June 2007
    Emma's diamond skin is way better than Beast's de-evolution even if Joss and Grant salvaged a good storyline out of that.

And the less said about Angel's healing blood the better.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2007
    I didn't like Beast's '90s design. Wolverine hair made him seem derivative.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited June 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Emma's diamond skin is way better than Beast's de-evolution even if Joss and Grant salvaged a good storyline out of that.

Meh... Jay had healing blood too... apparently it doesn't work on yourself...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I couldn't agree more. I was thinking of bringing up the "Healing angel blood" thingy but figured it was simply too silly to even mention in passing without starting a 3 page tear on how lame that is.

I'm just waiting for them to fuck around with Nightcrawler and give him some stupid "demon summoning/creating" power. Instead of doing something logical like giving him the ability to transport others/objects anywhere he wants without touching them.

Caveman Paws on
    edited June 2007
    Nightcrawler has become underpowered in recent time, which Blink and the new Mysterio overshadowing him at his own game.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited June 2007
    Nightcrawler's appeal, at least for me, has little to do with his power. He's just a fucking amazing character and has for the most part been written really well over the years.

(GOD FUCK YOU CHUCK AUSTEN FOR WRITING THE TWO WORST NIGHTCRAWLER STORIES OF ALL TIME)

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Peeps ChickenPeeps Chicken Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I didn't like Beast's '90s design. Wolverine hair made him seem derivative.

What was his 90's design?

His blue Wolverine style hair dated well before the 90's... I don't know if it pre-dated Wolverine's unmasking (where it revealed his hair was in the shape of his mask), but it existed for quite a while before the 90's. I'm not sure if that's what you're talking about though.

Peeps Chicken on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Nightcrawler's appeal, at least for me, has little to do with his power. He's just a fucking amazing character and has for the most part been written really well over the years.

(GOD FUCK YOU CHUCK AUSTEN FOR WRITING THE TWO WORST NIGHTCRAWLER STORIES OF ALL TIME)
    I know what the worst one was, but what was the second?

Fencingsax on
    edited June 2007

Holy War

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007

Holy War
    Oh right. Christ.

Fencingsax on
    edited June 2007
    Example: A telepath's secondary mutation should not be "diamond skin" even if it does fit the character very well. Something along the lines of precognition or being able to form psylocke style psych-blades would make much more sense.

Actually, hers was part of deal with Cassandra Nova, Nova gave her the Diamond form and Emma saved her mind so she could infiltrate the X-Men.

MuddBudd on
    edited June 2007
    Nightcrawler is a demonic German pirate/gypsy that is sometimes mistaken for an elf, and led an English super-hero team before almost becoming the Pope, only to find out that his bisexual, shape-shifting mother fucked the devil to create him.

I love Nightcrawler.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited June 2007
    Holy War
    Oh right. Christ.

I'd forgotten about that. The story with disintegration wafers and heavily armed clergy.

:(

:x

Bogart on